Request
from the Knight Order 1
「Ashren, I brought a request from the
Knight Commander... is he not here?」
「Mark-sama. Ashren-sama went to Reizan-sama's
place just a moment ago.」
Holding
a test tube in my hand, I blinked in surprise at the rare guest. Mark-sama,
with his light brown hair sticking slightly to his forehead, looked uncertainly
at the documents in his hand, wondering what to do.
「I will keep them for him. What kind
of medicine are you hoping for?」
「Insect repellent.」
「Insect repellent, you say?」
I
had been completely sure it was for a salve or ointment, so it was surprising.
According to the document, in the summer, nomads cross the river and attack the
farming villages along the border more frequently, so they strengthen the
border security. They sometimes camp out during that time, but there are many
rivers and dotted wetlands near the border, so there are many mosquitoes.
Mosquitoes not only cause itchiness but sometimes act as vectors for infectious
diseases, so doing something about them was the request this time.
「Mark-sama, was there a defect in the
medicine I made last year?」
Flora, who was in the corner of the
laboratory, came over looking worried.
「No, the insecticide Flora
made for us last year was very effective. However...」
「Was there some problem?」
「It is too effective; there are
reports that if the wind direction shifts and the insecticide gets on you, your
eyes get bleary and sting.」
「Ah... I apologize. I focused too
much on the effectiveness...」
「No, you told us beforehand not to
use it on human bodies, and as long as we are careful about how we use it,
there is no problem, so we plan to continue using it as is. So this time,
rather than an insecticide, we want an insect repellent, and one that is
harmless to the human body.」
I
remembered Flora-san making insecticide last year. She must have been
researching while also applying the recipe for the pesticide I made in the Jilgista
Kingdom.
It
is true that a powerful insecticide affects the human body. But if you weaken
its effect, it won't work on the crucial insects either, so finding the right
balance is difficult, isn't it.
「Understood. I will hand the
documents to Ashren-sama, and I will try to think of a method.」
「I see, that helps.」
When
it comes to insect repellent, the effect needs to last all night. Something
that is long-lasting yet harmless to the human body... as I was thinking, the
door opened again.
I
looked, thinking Ashren-sama had returned, but the person there was a
man with tanned skin.
「Oh? I heard Ashren would be
here if I came to this place.」
His
beige hair was tied at the back of his neck, and his slightly drooping black
eyes smiled frivolously. He was a little shorter than Ashren-sama and
slender, but he was a person with a unique atmosphere that intimidated his
surroundings. Naturally, this was our first meeting.
「Well, well, if it isn't His Highness
Prince Elliot, the Third Prince of the Tarteria Kingdom.」
「Hm? You are... Ah, you were good
friends with Ashren... if I recall.」
「I am Mark Lodrin. You don't
seem to have brought guards, but why are you here?」
Though
his tone was polite, Mark-sama's gaze was sharp and his attitude stiff.
His face was clearly a forced smile.
「I was invited to the Princess's
birthday party being held in a month and a half. Since it's a good opportunity,
I decided to come to the Kanista Kingdom a little early to meet an old
schoolmate.」
I
don't think a month and a half falls under the category of 'a little'. Mark-sama
seemed to feel the same, looking as if he had bitten a bitter bug.
Princess
Stira's birthday party also carries the meaning of choosing a prince
consort. In that case, the Third Prince of a neighboring country would be a
prime candidate, wouldn't he. Since the foreign prince referred to Ashren-sama
as a schoolmate, he probably studied abroad in this country in the past. If so,
it makes sense that he knows Mark-sama. Though they certainly don't seem
to be on good terms.
「Come to think of it, Ashren's
fiancée is here too, right? Ah, could it be the girl behind you, Mark?
Or the freckled woman over there?」
At
his way of speaking, which oozed arrogance, wrinkles formed between Mark-sama's
eyebrows, and Tick swiftly stood in front of Flora. Seeing that,
Prince Elliot said "Hmm," directed his gaze at me, and shoved Mark-sama
aside as he headed straight toward me.
Of
course, in terms of arm strength, I think Mark-sama is superior, but the
other party is the prince of a neighboring country. Mark-sama, the
second son of an Earl's family, contorted his mouth in frustration, but still
stayed in a position to help if anything happened.
「You have quite a cute face, don't
you. I hear you are quite excellent.」
「...Thank you very much. Are you a
candidate for Her Royal Highness Princess Stira's prince consort, Prince
Elliot?」
I
deliberately threw a direct pitch. Intruding into the laboratory rudely and
with this attitude—even I felt displeased. But Prince Elliot, paying no
mind to the dangerous atmosphere around him, closed the distance with me even
further.
「Indeed, I am the top candidate for
Her Royal Highness Princess Stira's prince consort. After all, the coal
exported from my Tarteria Kingdom is the lifeline of this country.」
The
Kanista Kingdom is poor in resources. In particular, it relies on
imports from the Tarteria Kingdom for the majority of its coal, and
because of that, there is a clear difference in power between the two
countries. The fact that he can act this arrogantly in another country might be
due to that background. Though it also seems to be his original personality.
Then,
Prince Elliot deepened his smile, placed a finger under my chin, and
made me look up. His slightly drooping black eyes narrowed sarcastically.
「This country can absolutely never
refuse a proposal from me. Because the coal is being mined from the territory
of my grandfather, who is also the Prime Minister of the Tarteria Kingdom.
But, it's not like I'm fixated on Her Royal Highness Princess Stira. If
anything, I am much more interested in Ashren's fiancée, Layla...」
「It has been a long time, Prince Elliot.」
With
a smack, Ashren-sama brushed away Prince Elliot's hand
with the back of his own and pulled my shoulder toward him. Seeing that he was
slightly out of breath, it seemed he had run here.
「Ashren-sama...」
「Allow me to introduce you. This is
my fiancée, Layla Wilbas. Ah, there is no need to remember her family
name. She will be a Naturi very soon. Also, your previous remark could
be taken as making light of Her Royal Highness Princess Stira, which
could turn into an international issue, so you had better be careful.」
At
Ashren-sama, who floated a composed smile without changing his
complexion, Prince Elliot's eyebrow twitched upward. It seems these two
are on the worst of terms. I wonder what on earth happened during their academy
days.
「Even you, who always looked down on
people with those cold eyes, can make a face like that, huh.」
「On my way here, I found the guards
who were looking for Your Highness, so I brought them along. Please, your way
home is right over there.」
He
was smiling sweetly, but his ice-blue eyes were completely chilled.
Prince
Elliot turned around, looked at the guards in front of the door, clicked
his tongue with a "Tch," and turned on his heel. However, he turned
back at the door, smiled brightly, waved his hand, and said, 「Layla, I'll come again.」 The moment he did, strength poured
into Ashren-sama's fingers gripping my shoulder, and his long, slit eyes
sharpened.
Prince
Elliot laughed as if enjoying that reaction and finally left the
laboratory.
「Ashre...」
「Ashren-sama, what's up with that guy just
now! Coming into the lab without permission and calling Flora a freckled
woman. Freckles are cute, aren't they!」
「Tick, that's not the right place to get
angry.」
「B-But, Flora...」
「I'm happy about your feelings, but
just stay quiet for a bit.」
Soothed
by Flora-san,
Tick continued to breathe heavily out
of his nose with a "fuh, fuh," but closed his mouth. While leaking a
wry smile at that sight, Flora-san directed her gaze to Ashren-sama
again.
「You mentioned he was a schoolmate,
is that true?」
「Yeah. He studied abroad from the Tarteria
Kingdom, and we were together for three years. Prince Elliot also
studied pharmacology, so we often took classes together, but I have no memory
of us being close. More importantly, Layla, are you alright?」
「Yes. ...Though I don't feel very
good about it.」
He
was a person like a storm, I thought as I looked at the door he had left
through. The guard knights were constantly bowing in apology, so he is probably
like that all the time. To think such a person is a candidate for Princess Stira's
prince consort—even if it involves state affairs, it's impossible.
「Ashren, I'm sorry, despite being right
beside her.」
「It can't be helped since the other
party is royalty from a neighboring country. Even so, why does that guy always
pick fights with me since way back?」
Mark-sama looked regrettably with a deep
sigh at Ashren-sama, who furrowed his brows, genuinely not understanding
the reason. Thinking there must be something more, I asked Mark-sama
with my eyes, and he explained while placing a hand on his forehead.
「I said Prince Elliot also
studied pharmacology, right? He was known as a prodigy in the Tarteria
Kingdom, and just when he thought he was guaranteed the top spot at the Kanista
Kingdom's academy, Ashren, who got perfect scores in all subjects,
stood in his way.」 「Ah...」
Glancing
at Ashren-sama, he stood calmly as if to say, 'What about it?'
Then, Mark-sama continued his words.
「Furthermore, Prince Elliot is
good-looking, and the Tarteria royals are quite the martial faction. He
probably had confidence in that area too, but the female students' admiration
was entirely directed at Ashren, and in swordplay, he couldn't even hold
a candle to him. In short, his pride was smashed to smithereens.」
「I had no such intention, you know.」
「And that attitude of yours, showing
no interest in being the top student or in women, poured even more oil on the
fire.」
「Ah... I can imagine.」
As
expected of royalty, his pride seemed high. Yet, not only could he not beat Ashren-sama
no matter what he did, but he wasn't even taken seriously; that leaves him no
face as a prince. It's what you call an unjustified grudge.
「It is not my place to say this, but
I think Prince Elliot is unfit for Her Royal Highness Princess Stira.」
「Agreed. It would be a problem to
have someone with such a small caliber stand at the top of the country.
However, it is also a fact that the Kanista Kingdom's industry relies on
the Tarteria Kingdom's coal.」
It
feels like there's going to be some trouble. Although he is speaking
nonchalantly, Ashren-sama is clearly in a bad mood, and I don't think he
will silently back down.
「What are you thinking?」
「Hm?」
「You aren't plotting something
dangerous, are you?」
「Because he laid his hands on my Layla.
How about an untraceable poison... Just joking.」
「It doesn't sound like a joke when
you say it, Ashren-sama.」
When
I narrowed my eyes at him, he raised one side of his lip and smiled, but it's
terrifying precisely because it's possible.
Because
I stared at him so intently, he finally shrugged his shoulders and said,
"I'll settle it peacefully," but I'm sure I wasn't the only one who
sensed something disturbing behind his words.
「By the way,」
Mark-sama's voice broke the heavy
atmosphere of the room. Pointing at the documents I was holding, when I
explained the contents of the request from the Knight Commander to Ashren-sama,
he peered into the documents.
「An insect repellent medicine.
Durability and being harmless to the human body are important.」
「Yes. I thought so too. And, since I
have something in mind, would it be alright if I tested it?」
「You only just received the
documents, right? Your inventiveness never ceases to amaze me, Layla.
So, what is that method?」
When I began to explain what I had come up with, Flora-san and Tick also leaned in to listen with deep interest, and even started taking notes. By the time I finished speaking, it was completely decided that we would go in that direction, and I headed to the medicinal herb garden to make the test reagents.
-----
Thank you for my Patrons !!
[Platinum]
-
[Gold]
B random
Nepheos
[Silver]
Corey Hicks
Creris
Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon
Jake Seagraves
Matthew Fraser
Tbaum56
Baelee
Christopher Feliciano
Ctdela
Curious Panda
nick nasca
SD Fox
Taylor King
Z
Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon
-----