[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 50


Unchanging Days and Changed Things 3

After finishing breakfast and waiting for Ashren-sama to finish his paperwork regarding his territory, we headed out to buy furniture as promised last night.

The carriage rode for longer than I expected and stopped in front of a large workshop on the outskirts of the royal capital. When we got off, the scent of greenery was so thick it felt like being in a forest. Upon asking, I learned that this workshop was run by Baron Carton, and apparently, timber brought from his territory near the border is dried in the warehouse in the back.

I was completely sure we were going to a furniture store.

I thought that would be fine too, but the furniture stores in the royal capital have many flashy items. I figured you would prefer this place, Layla. Besides, consulting directly with the workshop makes things proceed faster.

Next to the workshop with "Carton Workshop" written on it is Baron Carton's townhouse. In his territory, they mainly make ready-made goods, but here, they apparently take custom orders for nobles living in the royal capital, and it serves as both a workshop and a furniture showroom.

I have been waiting for you. I apologize for receiving you in such attire.

Appearing in an apron looking just like a craftsman was a middle-aged man.

No, Lord Carton, I should be the one apologizing for the sudden request.

Not at all, I heard from your mother that you might be coming soon, so I have been preparing and waiting. The lady next to you must be Layla-sama.

That is right. Layla, the furniture made at Carton Workshop is of such high quality that my older brother takes them along on diplomacy. You are particularly good at chairs, aren't you?

Yes, I also made the chair in your office, Ashren-sama. Also, my recent recommendation is the dyed goods my daughter makes. We have fabrics such as curtains and sofa upholstery prepared, so I will guide you there later.

Prompted to enter with a "This way," the inside of the building had the workshop in the back and the showroom in the front. However, there were no glittering chandeliers or flamboyant decorations, showing a steadfastness in competing purely on good quality. Somehow, I felt I understood the reason why Ashren-sama chose this place.

I have gathered the main furniture to be used in your room, madam, right here.

In the section we were guided to, dressers, chests, and several types of slightly low shelves were lined up. Since there are times when I can't reach high shelves even if I stretch, this height is very convenient for me to use. Since the wood used can be changed, we decided to choose the designs first. That being said, having no particular preferences, I mostly left it entirely up to Ashren-sama.

While watching Ashren-sama briskly making decisions, I was curious about the curtains a little further away. It was a calm, light green curtain, but depending on how the light hit it, it looked as if tinged with yellow, orange, or blue—a rare piece. Many things used to dye cloth are plants, but I wonder what on earth that was dyed with.

Are you fine with these for the furniture?

Ah, yes. I am sorry, I ended up leaving almost everything to you.

I don't mind as long as you are fine with it, Layla. For the color, we have dark brown, natural brown, and white using birch. Which one will you choose?

I would like natural brown. If possible, something that gains character the more it is used... I like things where you can enjoy the changes over the years.

If you use it, it will inevitably get scratched and dirty. But the reason I want to enjoy those changes is because I want to cherish the life I will build with Ashren-sama from here on out.

When I said that, Lord Carton brought a recommendation, asking, "How about this?"

It is a relatively soft wood. If we round the corners, it will be safe even when children are born. As it is used, it will develop a calm luster. By that time, both of you will likely have gray hair mixed in, like me.

"Haha," Lord Carton stroked his slightly thinning hair. Meeting my eyes, Ashren-sama smiled gently.

We will go with that, please.

Certainly. Then next, please choose the furniture to place in the bedroom. We have prepared the highest quality items: sofas that you won't be able to stand up from once you sit down, and beds that will put you to sleep immediately.

Once again, several pre-selected types were lined up there, but the large number of beds is just my imagination, right. All of them were so large that three adults could sleep spread-eagled on them.

Pushing it with both hands, the springs bounced back just right, and if no one were here, I would have wanted to flop down and lie on it bosun. As I was thinking that, Ashren-sama sat down on the bed and patted the space next to him pon pon. Is it alright? I looked at Lord Carton, and he urged me with his hand as if to say, Please, go ahead. Sitting down while feeling bewildered—ah, this is absolutely going to be comfortable to sleep in.

I might not be able to wake up in the morning.

In that case, I will wake you up.

You are a heavy sleeper in the mornings, aren't you, Ashren-sama. The other day, Karin-chan, who went to wake you up, said you wouldn't wake up even when she climbed on top of you.

That was a terrible experience. She jumped up and down on my stomach, after all.

That is quite a dynamic way to wake someone up. Ashren-sama rubbed his stomach as if remembering it. Lord Carton excused himself with a "Please excuse me for a moment," and left the area. As if waiting for that, Ashren-sama flopped down and lay on his back.

Looks like the two of us will be oversleeping together.

Flora-san and Tick will get angry at us, you know.

We'll be forgiven while we're newlyweds.

And who was it that made those newlyweds work overtime?

I recalled Tick writing documents half-crying. But hearing about it later, it seems he only worked one hour of overtime. Did Ashren-sama choose and hand him work that was high in volume but not that difficult, or did Tick's abilities improve... Probably the latter.

So, is this bed fine?

Yes. And then...

You are curious about those curtains, right. You were looking at them this whole time.

As expected, he had noticed. I am not knowledgeable about dyeing, but I think that is a rare item. As we were talking about that, Lord Carton appeared holding exactly that curtain fabric.

This here is a new product. I brought it because I absolutely wanted Ashren-sama to see it.

Perfect timing. We were just talking about it. It is a rare color, but is this a plant dye?

Yes. It was dyed with the leaves of the Monitares tree located in the Earl Hadren territory.

Lord Carton is entrusted with the management of a part of Earl Hadren's territory, but since the income from territory management alone is small, he apparently makes furniture from local plants and dyes textiles.

This is my first time seeing cloth that changes color with sunlight. Do you have things other than curtains?

We can make anything, such as sofa upholstery and bedsheets.

It seems we can custom-order these as well. That being said, having the whole room the same color is a bit too much, so we decided to order the curtains and sofa upholstery with this.

Speaking of the Monitares tree, its origin was the Tarteria Kingdom, wasn't it. The climate should be warmer than this country, but are you growing the trees in a greenhouse?

That used to be the case, but Earl Hadren's son selectively bred it, and it can now grow even in the Kanista Kingdom's temperatures. So, afforestation was carried out even in the territory I am entrusted with managing.

Hm? If it is Earl Hadren's son, he should be working as a civil official under my older brother. A slender man with red hair; he is a classmate of mine, Mark, and Her Royal Highness Princess Stira.

That would be the heir, Ethan-sama; the one who improved it was the second son, Blake-sama. He is still a student, but he is excellent.

I had studied the names of the nobles of the Kanista Kingdom and the lands they govern. Even though I won't be involved in state affairs, I am going to become an Earl's wife, so if I don't know at least this much, I will bring shame to Ashren-sama.

However, when it comes to the names of their sons, I am not yet perfect. Ashren-sama seemed to know, but this was my first time hearing it.

There are still many things I have to learn.

You came from a foreign country, so there's no need to feel pressured. More importantly, do you know about the Monitares tree?

Only to the extent that it's an evergreen tree about two meters tall that only grows in the Tarteria Kingdom. I don't believe there were any reports of it becoming an ingredient for medicine.

Being knowledgeable even about plants native to foreign countries is just like you. The Earl Hadren from a few generations ago was a plant researcher. He was studying abroad in the Tarteria Kingdom, became close with the Crown Prince at that time, and apparently received seeds of several types of plants from the Tarteria Kingdom when returning home. He is growing them in a corner of his own botanical garden.

Earl Hadren's territory is located on the border between the Tarteria Kingdom and the Kanista Kingdom. Even though they are adjacent, the temperatures differ, perhaps because they are separated by mountains, and therefore, most of the plants he received are apparently grown in the greenhouse in the botanical garden.

I wonder what other kinds of things are planted in the botanical garden.

I thought you would say that. In that case, Earl Hadren is also coming to Her Royal Highness Princess Stira's birthday party being held soon, so you should try asking him.

Her Royal Highness Princess Stira's birthday party?

To me tilting my head, Ashren-sama also tilted his head similarly with a "Hm?"

It is in two months; did I not tell you? Though a birthday party is just the pretense, and the reality is picking a prince consort for Her Royal Highness Princess Stira.

Her Royal Highness Princess Stira is twenty-one, one year older than me, right. If it is about choosing a prince consort, won't not only influential nobles within the country but also neighboring royalty come?

I hear the second and third princes of neighboring countries are coming too.

It felt like this was going to be quite a large-scale party. By the way, that means Ashren-sama, being her cousin, is also attending, right. In that case, naturally I, as his fiancée, will also...

Um, this is my first time hearing this, but surely not...

Did I not tell you? You can just choose whatever you like from the dresses I showed you yesterday.

...Understood. By the way, when were you planning to tell me that?

Hm? I was planning to tell you by the birthday party.

Oh, really. By the birthday party.

I don't really like evening banquets. I only attended the bare minimum even in the Jilgista Kingdom, so to attend a royal birthday party as Ashren-sama's fiancée makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it now. Ashren-sama knows that as well, so it is entirely possible he was planning to take me there as a surprise attack.

Anyway, for the sake of our peaceful life too, we need Her Royal Highness Princess Stira to get married quickly and give birth to an heir.

If that happens, your right of succession to the throne will go down, Ashren-sama.

Beside Ashren-sama nodding deeply, I recalled the secret meeting I saw a few days ago. Just who on earth was that person she was secretly meeting in a place hidden from public view?

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56


[Bronze]

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Taylor King

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>