[WN] Jitsuwa 3-Domedatta : Chapter 458


Chapter 458

(Kyle Calendar Year 516: Age 23)

Summons from the Royal Capital

 

Having finished the somewhat hectic journey to the Fearalt Principality, we finally returned to Kusanagi. However, what awaited me there was a letter sent by the old raccoon.

Normally, sending a summons in this manner to the King of a country is an immensely impolite act, but this is sent not to the Archduke, but strictly to the Margrave of the South of the Kyle Kingdom. There is a matter we earnestly wish to consult with you about, and we ask that you take the trouble to come to the Royal Capital.

The contents, starting with such an introduction, were something I could predict to some extent. The matters for consultation written down were broadly three.

·         That Princess Clarisse has married as the Princess Consort, the Kyle Kingdom wishes to rebuild relationships with neighboring countries. We wish to consult on concrete means for that. --Well, this is not a problem since the neighboring countries have already formed an alliance, and arrangements have been made to add the Kyle Kingdom to it. Even so, there is one major problem, though.

·         If it becomes possible to form alliances with each country, our only concern is the movements of the new territories in the eastern and northern parts of the Kingdom. Regarding these, we wish to consult on future policies and countermeasures. --To repeat, that has also already been achieved. However, is there something going on in the new territories? That information hasn't reached me yet.

·         Thinking of the next generation of the Kingdom, we wish to consult about the future of the still young First Prince. --This can only be described as a bit of bad luck. Normally, the one who should step forward in talks with major powers is King Kyle, but he is a generation older than us and would float apart. Moreover, King Kyle alone has not fought together with the other Kings as an ally on the battlefield. The emotional distance coming from that is also significant. One way or another, we are somewhat clustered in the same generation, and our emotional distance is close. Then it falls to the children of the next generation, but Clarisse-denka, who was a perfect fit, has married off, and the First Prince is still a child. It will likely take at least another six to ten years for him to join our circle.

Although we believe you have just returned from your journey to the Fearalt Principality, we ask that you accept this as a matter of grave importance for the future of our country, and urgently request your presence.

It concluded with such words at the end, but I could see that the old raccoon dog was probably also quite panicked. Now then, how should I take this?

Minister of Internal Affairs (Raymond), by the way, when did this letter arrive?

Yes, it arrived three days after Takuhir-sama departed for the Principality.

In that case, does that mean it was sent before we departed? It's safe to assume he sent it immediately after Clarisse-denka departed Kylar. I showed the letter to Raymond as well, but he showed no reaction to the contents at all, and after finishing reading it with a poker face, he smiled at me pleasantly. What does that smile mean?

So, what do you think as the Minister of Internal Affairs?

I believe it would be best for you to head to the Royal Capital urgently. The other party is probably anxious beyond belief about being left behind by neighboring countries. Right now, our country is already equivalent to the Kingdom if we look only at territory, and comparable even in ready-response military strength, so...

That's certainly true. The Demon Territory Dukedom, which carved out the extreme frontiers of neighboring countries, holds vast territory, but is greatly inferior in national power such as production capacity and population, and the mobilized military strength of the entire country cannot be compared. However, the ready-response military strength is second to none, and the soldiers who have continuously achieved victory until now are the absolute elite. On the other hand, the Kyle Kingdom is isolated now that Clarisse-denka, who was the face toward neighboring countries, has left.

To keep the Kingdom's leadership from becoming overly suspicious, perhaps? I've become quite important before I knew it, haven't I.

Saying so, I couldn't help but smile bitterly. To begin with, I harbor no ill will toward the Kyle Kingdom, and rather wish to support it as a member, but still.

Then I'll leave the management of domestic administration and development projects to you continuously; is that alright? I suppose I'll head out with a small number... about two hundred cavalry?

Yes, if it were in the position of the Archduke of a neighboring country, it wouldn't be strange to take ten times that amount. But this time it's not in that position, and I want to avoid rubbing their feelings the wrong way.

I believe that is a good thought. Inwardly, I also felt happy that the Kingdom highly evaluates and relies on Takuhir-sama, and about your feelings to respond to that and your consideration for the Kingdom. However...

Ah, the smile he showed at the end after reading the letter, is that what it meant? Since this is a matter of diplomacy, I don't think it's better to take his words exactly as they are, but it's a statement with some hidden meaning...

This is strictly from the standpoint of the Minister of Internal Affairs of the Westlights Demon Territory Dukedom. After you head there, I believe it would be better if you change the way you conduct yourself in the Royal Capital.

What do you mean?

Reading the letter, I felt two things from a political standpoint. First, the current Kyle Kingdom is panicked. Therefore, Takuhir-sama's position has become even more certain...

I suppose so, well, I don't intend to act important, though. Even though I'm a King, I'm the King of a branch country, and I'm in a position to pledge loyalty to the Kingdom.

The second point is the problem. The Kingdom has been excluded from the circle of neighboring countries recently, and unfortunately, I must say they are failing to see the current trends. We must make this an opportunity to have them change their past thinking this time.

Huh, is he angry? Of course, his anger isn't directed at me. The smile Raymond showed at that time had a different meaning after all!

Normally, summoning you with a letter and such is out of the question! They should send a messenger to state their case and send an escort with appropriate courtesy, or if they wish to consult in the first place, the Minister of Foreign Affairs should take the trouble to come himself.

Certainly, yeah. Looking at it cynically, I am an existence that can be summoned easily with a single letter, nothing more than someone convenient for the Kyle Kingdom. It wouldn't be strange to take it that I am thought of as such from this incident. Moreover, the other party is the King of a country. Without even asking about the other party's circumstances, although the words are decorated, the content is equivalent to saying Come urgently.

I know it is an impoliteness to object to the words of the Minister of Foreign Affairs, who is a high-ranking noble and a heavyweight of the Kingdom, when normally I am nothing more than a steward of a Baron's house. However, Takuhir-sama is our King; as one bearing the responsibility of the Minister of Internal Affairs, there are things I cannot back down on.

No, Raymond's words are entirely correct. I feel thoroughly ashamed, and I'm also reflecting a bit.

Then... is there also the option of changing my policy and putting on airs, delaying my departure?

Even though I say that, I already have business that requires me to head to the Royal Capital. Participation in the multinational force and requests for signing the Five-Power Alliance; I absolutely have to go and settle these matters myself. I'm merely daring to say something I don't mean because I want to know Raymond's true intentions.

No, basically as Takuhir-sama desires. Head there as quickly as possible to reassure the Kingdom. With that, you will have shown duty and sincerity. After that, freely...

You're saying I should show my authority after I get there?

At my words, Raymond smiled pleasantly and nodded, but. That's the biggest problem for me. To begin with, I have commoner's blood flowing in me. Even conceding a hundred steps, the majority of the time I lived in this world, I lived as a frontier noble. Even if someone like me is told to act like a King, it's only a considerably tough demand.

Before I knew it, I too have ended up shouldering something uncharacteristic of me.

For us, we believe you have reached an appropriate position.

Tch, so that's how he returns it. To begin with, since the time I called him Raymond-san, he has always supported me.

Understood. I'll try my best.

Here the basic policy was decided. I will respond to the letter with sincerity, but that is only until I rush to the Royal Capital. From there on out, I will behave uncharacteristically and draw a line. Or behave in a way that makes the other party realize it even without drawing a line. Fortunately, aside from the old raccoon dog's letter, there's also my original business from the start. In terms of content, it overlaps completely with the first agenda item, and the business I'm bringing can just be utilized as a highly useful card.

So, when will Takuhir-sama depart?

Without putting on airs, as soon as preparations are complete, I intend to depart by tomorrow at the latest. Earlier than the other party calculates, that is.

Yes, in these kinds of things, exceeding the other party's expectations is important. If I arrive earlier than they imagine, just that alone shows sincerity.

I believe that is fine. After arriving, it should be fine to put on airs towards the Kingdom's demands. Since you have already shown sincerity. If you don't, the Kingdom will look down on Takuhir-sama.

Regarding that, there are also reports I want to share.

Here, I shared the contents of the original business I held with Raymond. Of course, including my plan to use it as a negotiation material and maneuver skillfully in Kylar. Raymond was a little surprised, but laughed pleasantly. I think it's because he understood that I intended to maneuver cunningly in my own way.

This time I will head out alone, and take Gord and a hundred of his subordinates from the Demon Territory Knights, Christoph and fifty longbow cavalry, and Eisen and fifty former iron cavalry. Since there are concerns about the south, I will leave the Commander in Kusanagi, and leave the main body of the Demon Territory Knights as well.

This formation is not only to secure a defense system but also includes the meaning of keeping the Kingdom side in check. It's also a message that our country is no longer merely a branch agency of the Kyle Kingdom, but is walking a new path together with people hailing from multiple countries. Gord is well-connected with the Royal Capital Knights, and above all, he is steady and won't take rash actions.

My feelings since the founding of the country haven't changed. Even now, I intend to contribute as a member of the Kingdom, but I intend to resolutely refuse unreasonable demands. Although nothing has changed about bearing a part of the Kingdom's defense on the military front, I must make them understand that the Demon Territory Dukedom is not strictly an existence to be used by the Kingdom, and is already walking its own unique path.

Fufufu, that is exactly why you are Takuhir-sama. I have nothing to say.

It seems my decision received a passing mark from Raymond. Making preparations in a hurry, we departed that very day.

◇◇

After departing Kusanagi, for the journey up to the midway point, we utilized the Roadside Station system we had constructed, and using relay horses, we dashed north all at once along the central highway traversing the former Margrave Hastburg territory. Even after leaving Count Cornell's territory, as a result of basically using two horses per person and riding at full speed, we entered the Royal Capital Kylar three days earlier than usual, and even one day earlier than an express messenger would travel. Of course, we had no leeway to send a herald ahead, so even when we entered the Royal Capital, we weren't welcomed by the territory residents, and it felt like we slipped in quietly. And just like that, I charged into the Royal Palace.

Of course, I was stopped when entering the first district where the Royal Palace is located. But from here on, I change my response. Please wait. Those without a prior appointment, even if it is Archduke-heika, cannot be allowed to pass. We are currently dispatching a messenger to confirm...

As expected, it seems I wasn't turned away at the gate. Although making me wait itself constitutes an impoliteness, for those in charge of security, that is probably the maximum flexibility they can manage.

I do have an appointment. Because your country's Minister of Foreign Affairs desired me to visit as promptly as possible, I have spurred my horse and come. Surely you wouldn't stop a messenger delivering an urgent report saying they have no appointment? I shall wait inside, so there is no need for concern!

Yeah, even I understand I'm saying something quite unreasonable. But this is also part of the performance.

B-But...

Summoning the King of a country, and when he arrives, making him wait without even attaching a guide—is that the style of the Kingdom? I got angry and left saying, How impolite! Could you convey that to the Minister of Foreign Affairs?

Saying so, while conveying it as gently as possible to the Royal Guards handling the reception, I raised my right hand and gave the command, and the formation was altered as if everyone was turning back.

P-Please wait! We are dispatching a messenger to guide you into the Royal Palace. Please, please, just a moment! I humbly beg you to wait just a moment!

While inwardly feeling sorry for the Royal Guards whose expressions had changed, I stayed, pretending to be reluctant. Well. I'll ask Gord to follow up with them later. And... guided by the messenger who came running from the Royal Palace with a changed expression, we passed through the gate and entered the Royal Palace. Now then, from here on is the real deal! I wonder if I, a terrible actor, will be able to play the role well?

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56


[Bronze]

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Taylor King

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>