Chapter 459
(Kyle Calendar Year 516:
Age 23)
A Move Toward the
Kingdom's Future
The
place I was guided to in the Royal Palace of Kylar was not the
conference room or waiting room we were guided to in the past, but clearly a
room for honored guests, and our treatment had completely changed from before.
This too was probably the instruction of the old raccoon who had hurried over.
It goes without saying that it was a blatant enough change to make me think so.
And... after receiving simple hospitality, I was led according to the guidance
to a reception room for talks, where the old raccoon was already standing and
waiting.
「I express my gratitude to Archduke-heika
for taking the trouble to come so quickly despite your busy schedule. I
sincerely apologize for our inadequate preparations to welcome you, and for the
impoliteness.」
After
bowing deeply, he apologized saying so as his opening statement, but... this
probably isn't a simple apology. He's probably trying to ascertain how I will
act here.
「Not at all, hearing of a 『crisis concerning the fate of the Kingdom』, I merely thought I had to push through all difficulties
and rush here. There is no need for the Minister of Foreign Affairs to worry.」
Here,
the old raccoon made a blank face. As if to say, 『I
didn't go that far.』
「My vassals also surmised that 『being summoned even skipping the courtesies normally
exchanged between countries』, the Kingdom must have fallen into
an extraordinary situation. To show our sincerity, we departed on the very day
we returned from the Fearalt Principality, and merely rushed here with
haste.」
Saying
so, the old raccoon made a slightly awkward face. He probably had
self-awareness, but even so, he probably also calculated that if he summoned
me, I would come readily.
「No, no, it seems there was a
misunderstanding somewhere, and I was terribly rude. Because it is a problem
within the Kingdom, I intended to write asking to borrow your wisdom 『as a Margrave』 of the Kingdom here, but...」
「Fufufu, is that so? The matter is a
diplomatic issue with neighboring countries; from the contents written in that
letter, I think it is too much for a 『Margrave』,
you see? Therefore, I concluded that it could not be handled unless it was by
the appropriate position, the 『Archduke』.
Thus, I have come as the 『Archduke』
this time.」
Yes,
the old raccoon's letter was addressed to me in the position of a 『Margrave』, but rebuilding relations with
neighboring countries, national border emergencies in the east and north that
are unrelated to the south, etc., have already exceeded that position. It was
obvious that he was using a double standard conveniently while knowing it.
「......」
Perhaps struck in a sore spot, the old raccoon has been floating an unchanging
smile consistently from the beginning, but only his narrowed eyes spoke
eloquently of it.
「Hahahahaha, Minister of Foreign
Affairs, it is your loss. To begin with, although the Demon Territory
Dukedom was a branch country of our nation during its formation period, it
is an independent nation to which we ourselves guaranteed unique operations,
and now it has even become a linchpin uniting neighboring nations. If you try
to control the Archduke with mere lip service like before, you will receive a
painful counterattack like this time.」
Saying
so, King Kyle laughed loudly as he entered the room belatedly. It seems
he had been watching the exchange from the beginning.
「I wish to apologize anew for the
impoliteness to the Westlights Demon Territory Dukedom and Archduke Takuhir,
and express my heartfelt gratitude for this visit. Thank you for coming.」
「......」
Saying
so, King Kyle bowed his head politely, but this time it was me who felt
a bit awkward. Because I had never thought of making the King of a country,
much less my former lord, bow his head.
「No, no, perhaps my mischief went a
little too far. However, having ended up shouldering a heavy burden unsuited to
me now, I am struggling with the thought that I must act 『like
a King』 even while thinking it doesn't suit
me. Anew... it has been a long time. I am glad above all else that you look
healthy.」
Here,
I daringly and consciously shook hands with King Kyle. If it were
before, I would have been kneeling, bowing my head, and stating a formal
greeting, though.
「People grow. In order to fulfill the
responsibilities appropriate for their positions, that is. We, who have fallen
behind the current trends, must first begin by changing our consciousness.」
「Your will...」
King
Kyle, laughing loudly, and the old raccoon, who looked somewhat
unsatisfied, also took their seats anew.
「Now then, regarding the 『crisis concerning the fate of the Kingdom』 the Archduke mentioned, we currently perceive this as a
serious problem. I believe you can understand that, but...」
Of
course, I understand that. Because Clarisse-denka, who had
single-handedly borne relationships with neighboring countries until now, has
married, and there is no one in the Kingdom to take her place. To be precise,
it's not that there is no one, but compared to the current King, the Kings of
the neighboring countries are a generation younger. Therefore, King Kyle
floats apart in terms of age, has never fought together on the battlefield, and
has never spent time together in diplomatic settings. Conversely, we have
reached inappropriately close relationships with each country in diplomatic
settings, unimaginable by past history and common sense. If that happens, only
the Kyle Kingdom will be one step behind, and that gap will only widen
from here on. For that reason as well, they probably want to make a new move at
this point.
「First, regarding that problem, may I
ask the Kingdom's resolve?」
Yes,
what I want to hear is the Kingdom's resolve. Who will bear that role, and can
they extend their reach to other countries in accordance with that role? After
all, the Kings of the various countries have such light footwork that it
bewilders me. No... it's too light. If they cannot keep up with that, if they
do not have the resolve to keep up, it will be difficult to join the circle,
and to begin with, everyone is unconventionally abnormal as Kings and Emperors.
In addition to that, there is also the matter of participating in the
multinational force. Without extraordinary resolve, it could lead to a
situation where the Kingdom alone falls behind among the allied nations.
「We have... resolve! However, leaving
myself aside, the Prince is still young.」
That
is probably the biggest bottleneck. If anything, it would be most optimal for
the Prince to take Denka's place. However, the Prince in question is
said to be not yet fifteen. For a Prince who hasn't even enrolled in the
academy and doesn't know the world, it could result in being suddenly thrown
into a different world. It would be a better story if it ended with just
receiving culture shock; they are probably also afraid of him being dyed red by
mingling with cinnabar (being influenced by bad company). Regarding
that, there are also signs that they were considerably troubled by the
unconventional actions of his predecessor (Clarisse-denka).
「Knowing the Archduke, who always
comes up with eccentric plans, do you not have some good idea?」
Fufufu,
I already have one answer to that, you know. Now then... what should I do.
「Although we have missed the timing
slightly, we can take the Prince-denka to other countries in future
diplomacy. Including making arrangements so that he can gradually establish a
presence among foreign nations there.」
「「Ooh!」」
The
two of them leaned forward simultaneously, but for me, this is a bad move that 『I'd rather not do if possible.』
Because, you see, the Prince is the next King, and if 『by
some chance』 something happened, it would be a
disaster. I don't want to wear out my nerves over such a thing, and even if I'm
told to take responsibility, it's not something I can take responsibility for.
「However, I think such events are
unlikely in the future, and even if there are, there won't be many...」
There
aren't many diplomatic events where it's acceptable for a Prince representing a
country to go out. Besides, the three major events in each country—the
Emperor's accession and the Kings' weddings—have already just finished.
「「......」」
I can clearly tell they are depressed, but that's not my fault. After letting
out a big sigh, I continued my words.
「If there isn't one, we just have to
create one, that's all.」
This
was also a story I didn't want to bring up. Because if I say it, I will
naturally be dragged into it. Of course, I will resist with all my might
against merely being dragged in, but refusing also takes energy...
「For example, hold a martial arts tournament
in the Royal Capital. Inviting competitors from other countries as well, you
see. If that happens, the eccentric Kings will disguise their status and come
to spectate.」
「「What!」」
Yeah,
I think they will definitely participate. Emperor Grat, King Krugel,
and King Crajyu, all of them are warriors through and through. If not
careful, the tomboy might even raise her hand for a participant slot, and it is
highly likely that Queen Alicia will show business or political moves
taking that opportunity.
「Then, like the crossbow competition
held in the Royal Capital previously... if so!」
「Just crossbows is not enough.
Because the Kyle Kingdom has an advantage with that. For example,
prepare competitions that have them compete in sword and bow skills besides
crossbows, and alongside that, prepare a business negotiation venue gathering
products from each country. Of course, inviting merchants from foreign
countries who handle distribution, you see.」
To
be honest, this plan is something I personally had been secretly nurturing.
However, planning takes time and effort, and I can't cause trouble for everyone
who is currently frantic with development projects, so I thought, someday when
things settle down... But recently I slightly changed my thinking. Until now, I
had only thought about prioritizing and enriching my own territory. For us to
survive. But the times have changed now. Prospering together is precisely the
grand proposition.
「Then we by all means request to
participate in that event...」
「Minister of Foreign Affairs, that is
incorrect. Not 『participate』,
but 『host』.
Because there is meaning in holding the first one in Kylar!」
「However, we...」
I
understand that. There is no precedent for such a large-scale event in this
world, and to begin with, they probably have neither the know-how nor the
ideas. But if they become the host and hosting country, the King and Prince can
both sell their faces to foreign countries as the host side. The meaning of
this is tremendously significant.
「Our country can undertake the
planning, operation, and production. To begin with, a one-off project has no
meaning, and if it becomes a regular event held every few years, it will also
become a legitimate reason for Heika and the Prince to tour each country
representing the Kingdom in the future.」
「「Oooooh!」」
Of
course, the planning and operation will be for a fee. Assuming we have the
Kingdom provide the manpower and the box (venue), if we speak up and
adjust the contents, I think it will become a proper-looking event. Besides, if
we hold a trade fair, we can also collect exhibition fees. The larger the
scale, the larger the amount of money moving, and having worked at an advertising
agency, 『Nishida』
has both the knowledge and the know-how.
「We will leave the arrangements for
the boxes such as the stadium to hold the tournament and the venue for the
trade fair, and the operating personnel, to you. Of course, this includes
preparing accommodations and dining facilities near the venues, you know. As
the will of the Kingdom, you don't mind moving in that direction?」
「O-Of course.」
「Then for the time being, we will
establish an executive committee, but please gather capable practical personnel
from each department in the Royal Capital there. It would be good to also
include excellent and promising young nobles as well. We will conduct their
training in Kusanagi, though.」
「Hmu, and is it alright if we select
a few from the academy and add them as well?」
「I don't mind. Actually, it would be
best if the Prince-denka was also included among the executive committee
members dispatched from the academy, though.」
Yes,
just making him participate is meaningless. Not only responding as the host
side, but understanding the difficulties of operating a tournament as the
organizer, that is what's important. Well, setting ideals aside...
「I will leave the selection of the
executive committee members to the Minister of Foreign Affairs, but there are
conditions that absolutely cannot be removed.」
「To me? What are those conditions?」
Hahaha,
you braced yourself, didn't you? Before, I was in a position where I was
cornered and presented conditions, but this time, while cornering him, I am
presenting further conditions. Before I knew it, our positions have reversed
from the past.
「First, they must be excellent young
individuals expected to bear the future of the Kingdom. They won't become
desperate unless they are people who think their own future depends on the
success of this project.」
Yes,
even if we call it a crisis concerning the fate of the Kingdom, it's
meaningless if they see it as someone else's problem. It's absolutely
impossible unless they are individuals whose future is highly anticipated, and
who possess the spirit to bear it themselves.
「Certainly... Understood.」
「Second, it's natural that they be
excellent, but please select individuals who constantly have many cases
gathering around them and are working busily every day to handle them. The 『busyness』 I am talking about does not mean
individuals who are merely overwhelmed due to poor efficiency, or who are
buried holding a mountain of work.」
What
I intend are Raymond and Miseri during their steward days. Even
while busy, they handled cases many times that of others alone. Work gathers
around excellent individuals, naturally making them busy. If you simply
instruct each minister and department to provide people, they will probably
only send individuals whose abilities are at a level where their absence won't
cause any problems.
「If I judge they can't keep up, I
will send them back. Tell them from the Minister of Foreign Affairs that I said
so, and threaten them as much as possible, saying, 『If
by any chance you are sent back, it is a disgrace to the Kingdom!』」
「Good grief, I'll probably be told
words of resentment by the ministers and each department.」
「In a matter as important as the fate
of the Kingdom, having daily duties stagnate is out of the question! Can't you
just shout that at them? If the Minister of Foreign Affairs harbors concerns
from the bottom of his heart, I think it is an appropriate story to say so.」
「Hohoho, the Archduke-heika
has also become quite capable of speaking his mind, hasn't he?」
「I had an exceptionally strict
teacher (old raccoon), after all. Learning from him, I suppose I will grow a
little too. Third, as long as they are excellent young individuals, their
status does not matter. Conversely, no matter how excellent they are and even
if they fulfill the first and second conditions, we do not need humans who
abuse their status. I will send them back immediately.」
「Understood. Since we have also made
our resolve, we will handle this in the form of Heika's imperial decree.」
「Then, for the time being, we can
consider the immediate concerns as a 『crisis concerning the fate of the
Kingdom』, and that a path has been set
toward improving presence towards neighboring countries in the future,
countermeasures, and supporting the Prince-denka looking ahead to the
future, correct?」
At
my question, the two silently nodded. Yeah, with this, has the concern Raymond
mentioned been avoided? Instead of obediently following the Kingdom's requests,
I established it as a business while holding the initiative, after all.
「Then, the fourth condition.」
「Th-There's still more?」
「This is the simplest story. To the
executive committee in a public setting, issue an imperial decree without
changing a single word: 『In order to avoid the Kingdom's
crisis, I grant you full authority over the means to be taken, therefore strive
to ensure success without fail.』 This will become the source for
them to exert their power with all their might.」
「「???」」
Normally,
an imperial decree would be unnecessary, but there is meaning in daring to make
them do so.
「Understood. After selection, I will
arrange it so before Heika.」
Hahaha, I got your commitment, you know? I won't be held responsible if you turn pale later. If I do it, I'll do it thoroughly. Now then... this matter has settled down, is the next agenda item concerns towards the east and north? When should I bring up the timing of the 『main topic』 I am holding? First, I should do it after hearing all the stories. I have also heard a little about the circumstances of the neighboring countries, but it's safe to say I still don't know the details at all. What on earth is happening?
-----
Thank you for my Patrons !!
[Platinum]
-
[Gold]
B random
Nepheos
[Silver]
Corey Hicks
Creris
Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon
Jake Seagraves
Matthew Fraser
Tbaum56
Baelee
Christopher Feliciano
Ctdela
Curious Panda
nick nasca
SD Fox
Taylor King
Z
Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon
-----