The Square of Two-Faced 2
「By the way, Layla. How about you try writing a book too?」
「Pardon?」
Suddenly, yet completely naturally and smoothly, Claude-sama
threw the topic at me. His tone was casual, but you are saying something
incredible right now, aren't you.
「A book, you say?」
「That's right. The content will be about your research results on the
drying times of medicinal herbs.」
Nodding forcefully, Claude-sama continued his words, paying no
mind to my bewilderment.
「The content my mother showed me was too specialized, and to be honest,
I could not understand it. So, I want you to listen to this strictly as one
idea. I want to make the book like an illustrated reference. On the left side,
we will put a picture of the plant, along with characteristics such as its
habitat, color, and scent. On the right side, we will write its efficacy along
with the calculation formula for its optimal drying time. When doing so, I also
want you to write things like 'Needs to be dried thoroughly' or 'How the shape
changes when dried'. In short, I don't want to simply list calculation
formulas; I want to add pictures and supplementary explanations to make it easy
to understand.」
In other words, you want to make something similar to the book I am
holding in my hand right now. But what on earth will it be used for? I
submitted the papers noting the calculation formulas to the Pharmaceutical
Department over a year ago, so I don't think there is any need to rewrite them
now.
「I do not mind making it, but would it be alright to do it between my
work duties? How much time can you give me?」
「I am sorry, but for the time being, I want you to finish it in one
month.」
「One month?」
I didn't expect to be given a deadline. One month is quite tight
time-wise, and on top of that, the phrase "for the time being"
bothers me. I wonder what it is. That skin-prickling sensation I sometimes feel
with Ashren-sama was revived. Seeing my state, Claude-sama
laughed heartily. It's conversely scary.
「Don't make such a difficult face. There is no need to write about that
many medicinal herbs. Let's see, we'll narrow it down to ten commonly used
ones. You can decide which ones to write about, Layla. I will ask a
painter for the pictures, so the only thing I want you to write is the text on
the right side. Would that be alright?」
「...Yes. If it is only that much, I can do it in two weeks.」
「Is that so! As expected, it makes sense that mother praises you
unconditionally. Then I am counting on you.」
In contrast to Claude-sama, who tilted his glass with
satisfaction, Ashren-sama next to me had his arms crossed and was
frowning. The gaze he directed at Claude-sama was sharp, and the
wrinkles between his eyebrows gradually deepened.
I wonder what is wrong; it is not that burdensome a request so I do not
mind, I was about to say, but Ashren-sama
opened his mouth first.
「Brother, what are you plotting?」
「Meaning?」
「Please do not play dumb. First of all, the deadline of one month is
strange.」
「Oh.」
Grinning, Claude-sama put down his glass, crossed his arms just
like Ashren-sama, and leaned his body back against his chair. Even
though their postures were relaxed, the atmosphere in the dining room suddenly
became tense.
「Her Royal Highness Princess Stira's birthday party is in a month
and a half. With half a month, it is possible to bind multiple copies of the
book Layla made, right?」
「Of course, that would be possible.」
That aloof way of answering is as good as saying 'yes'. While I was
wondering what connection there could be between the Princess's birthday party
and my book, Ashren-sama let out a sigh with a "Haa."
「You intend to distribute the book Layla wrote to the foreign
royalty and nobles attending the birthday party, don't you.」
「Eh, my book?」
I don't understand at all why there would be a need to do such a thing.
Or rather, those drying times were something I came up with to make the
work efficient. Unlike research results or papers, I don't think it is the kind
of thing to be made into a book and distributed.
「Knowing my brother, on the surface, he probably intends to hand it over
as literature to let them know that the Kanista Kingdom's medicinal herb
knowledge is superior.」
From the perspective of other countries, the Kanista Kingdom is
considered an inferior country in terms of knowledge, medicine, and technology.
To change that perception of the Kanista Kingdom, Claude-sama
travels around foreign countries every day, introducing domestic industries and
specialty products. Even so, "on the surface" is a truly disturbing
phrase.
「You understand well.」
「There is no way you would act without a benefit to the country,
Brother. The reason you narrowed it down to ten medicinal herbs is partly
because the deadline is approaching, but also because you have no intention of
teaching them everything so easily. The nobles of neighboring countries who
take the book home will, for the time being, dry medicinal herbs using the
drying times exactly as recorded. Layla, what do you think will happen
as a result?」 「It is just
a guess, but I believe things of better quality will be produced.」
I have no intention of boasting, but I think that calculation formula
is excellent. Raising the quality of the prepared medicinal herbs leads to
raising the bottom line of the efficacy of all medicines.
「Exactly. And then, they will want to know about medicinal herbs other
than those ten types.」
At Ashren-sama's words, Claude-sama raised the corners of
his mouth in a grin. That face looks truly, exactly like Ashren-sama's
when he is being two-faced.
「Eventually, I want Layla to write down the drying times for all
medicinal herbs.」
「And then, you intend to sell that, right.」
「There is no need to rush, Layla. If we let it out little by
little, we can draw out their interest for a long time.」
Claude-sama chuckled in his throat. Watching
this, Catherine-san, who had been silent this whole time, furrowed her
brows.
「Dear, that face means you are still plotting something. Good grief, why
do you try to hide your hand even from your own family?」
That remark seemed unexpected even for Ashren-sama, who blinked
his light-blue eyes and then furrowed his brows.
「Brother, Layla is my fiancée. No, she will soon be my wife. I
cannot have her get dragged into keeping secrets.」
...Look who is talking, I thought, and I don't
think it's my fault that I ended up giving him a side-eye. I know he is
thinking of me, but that is not a line Ashren-sama has the right to say.
「Alright, alright. I'm not particularly trying to hide it. I just
thought I would gift the book for now, see their reactions, and then reconsider
things later. Don't be so angry.」
Claude-sama took the wine at hand and poured
it to the brim into Ashren-sama's glass, while looking at me as if
seeking agreement. It troubles me if you look at me.
「And what is the content of that reconsideration?」
「From the second book onward, rather than selling them, we will grant
permission to use the knowledge in the book over a period of twenty years.」
「Permission? But after twenty years, isn't it impossible to stop them
from using widespread knowledge?」
「How about: if they do not buy or sell the book or disseminate the
knowledge to other countries without our country's permission for twenty years,
we will grant them permission to use it freely thereafter.」
I see. Once it is sold, we cannot stop the purchasing country from
using it however they want. For example, it would even become possible for them
to sell it to a third country as if it were their own achievement. Ashren-sama
placed a hand on his chin, said "Hmph," and nodded.
「Your main goal, Brother, is to change the perception that the Kanista
Kingdom is behind other countries. The book writing the drying times is
strictly a means to that end, is that it?」
「That's right. At the very least, a country granted permission to use
the book will not be able to slight the Kanista Kingdom for the next
twenty years.」
If things go according to Claude-sama's plan, it seems the way
the Kanista Kingdom is viewed in the field of medicine will change. It
seems my research is going to be used for something outrageous. To keep such an
important thing quiet—he is definitely just as two-faced as Ashren-sama,
no, even more so.
「...What is it, Layla? Why are you staring at me like that?」
「I am just admiring what very similar brothers you are.」
「Is it just my imagination that I can't honestly rejoice at that?」
Seeing Ashren-sama furrowing his brows, Claude-sama
laughed heartily.
「It's exactly as Layla says. I could entrust my successor
position to you. How about you just become a diplomat and travel around foreign
countries?」
「I will pass. Please do not push your work onto me just because you want
to be with Karin.」
Claude-sama dotes on Karin-chan.
Perhaps because of that, it doesn't sound like a joke. ...You aren't
serious, right?
「As you probably know, Layla, our country's territory is small,
and we are not particularly rich in resources. In order for the Kanista
Kingdom to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with neighboring countries, I believe
the improvement of knowledge and technology is essential.」
Clearing his throat with a 'Ahem', Claude-sama returned
to a serious face and faced me. It was said that the Kanista Kingdom was
fifty years behind neighboring countries.
But in just this past year, that evaluation has been greatly changing.
The method to prevent the mass withering of wheat and the antidote I developed
a year ago, coupled with Ashren-sama's strategies, spread to neighboring
countries through the Jilgista Kingdom. Besides that, I hear they are
also putting effort into goldsmithing and dyeing.
「Depending on how you hear it, you might think I am exploiting your
knowledge, Layla. But creating the book is not just for diplomacy. If
you give your permission, Layla, I want to donate the completed books to
the libraries and academies within our country. Leaving that knowledge and
technology in a book to spread, so that the youth who learn it can bring
further development to this country—I believe that is the best outcome.」
Finally saying, "I want your cooperation," Claude-sama
bowed his head. I hurriedly waved my hands in front of my chest.
「Please, raise your head. I am honored to have you say that. If there is
anything I can do, I will cooperate in any way.」
I am happy that the medicinal herb drying times I continued to create
by repeating experiments endlessly will be of use to someone, and it is
unbelievable that it will spread even to countries I have never visited.
「Thank you, Layla.」
「I am the one who should be saying thank you. If the book I made can
become a stepping stone and lead to the development of this country, nothing
would make me happier.」
Ashren-sama pulled my shoulder as I
straightened my back and spoke to Claude-sama.
「Brother, Layla is a wonderful woman, isn't she. There are many
researchers who desire honor and kick others down, but there are no researchers
who rejoice in being made a stepping stone.」
Looking next to me, I met the eyes of Ashren-sama, who was
smiling proudly as if it were his own achievement. That distance was closer
than I thought, and my cheeks grew hot. Furthermore, being stared back at
sweetly, I could only let my gaze wander, wondering what to do.
「Haha, I can see why you are so smitten, Ashren. And to think
even you would speak so fondly.」
「...You are the last person I want to hear that from, Brother.」
「I have never spoken fondly. I only say that because I think Catherine
is excellent.」
The fact that you return that line with a straight face as if it's
obvious makes me think you are quite smitten, though. When I looked at Catherine-san,
she was gracefully drinking wine, as if saying 'This is a regular
occurrence'. Ah, the number of empty bottles has increased by one again.
-----
Thank you for my Patrons !!
[Platinum]
-
[Gold]
B random
Nepheos
[Silver]
Corey Hicks
Creris
Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon
Jake Seagraves
Matthew Fraser
Tbaum56
Baelee
Christopher Feliciano
Ctdela
Curious Panda
nick nasca
SD Fox
Taylor King
Z
Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon
-----