[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 55


The Square of Two-Faced 1

 

Changes: Ashren's older brother is a diplomat and is often away!

 

Ashren-sama, I am going to change clothes, so please wait a moment.

Returning to the separate estate after finishing work, I hurriedly opened the front door.

Ashren-sama casually said, "You can stay in those clothes," but since we are having dinner with Marquis Naturi's family at the main residence today, I can't just do that.

I mostly wear simple clothes for work, and the clothes I am wearing now don't have cute things like frills or lace. Since they get dirty often, I choose dark colors for the skirts, so to be honest, it's quite plain. If you bring your nose close, even though they are washed clean, the ingrained smell of medicinal herbs hasn't faded.

I will make a powerful deodorizer, I thought, clenching my fist, when Ashren-sama approached. Before I could even wonder what he was doing, I sensed him sniffing around my shoulder with a sniff.

I like it, though. Both your sweet scent, Layla, and the fragrance of the medicinal herbs.

~~!! I am going to change!

Pushing his shoulder away with a bright red face, I ran up the stairs with that momentum.

To Ashren-sama, it's a meal with his older brother, but to me, it is a dinner with my fiancé's older brother and his wife. We have had tea together before, but since both of them are busy, this is our first time having a meal together. Even I know that this outfit is inappropriate for the occasion.

This time they are staying for a long time, which is rare, and it's nice that they invited us saying they have time, but what should I wear? A dress meant for an evening banquet would be disproportionate for a family meal, but the day dresses I own might be too casual.

At times like this... I headed to the third floor, opened the closet Ashren-sama prepared for me, and chose a pale blue one-piece dress from inside. The white collar and cuffs had pink flower embroidery, and the gently spreading skirt was adorable.

Removing my necklace, I placed the ring that was hanging on the chain back onto my left hand. Just as I was about to lightly dab on some face powder, an energetic voice came from downstairs.

Ashren-samaaa, Layla, I came to pick you up!

Just as I thought the energetic footsteps running up the stairs were getting closer, there was a knock on the door. Answering with a "Yes," I saw Karin-chan, with sweat beading on her forehead, looking up at me while panting.

Hurry, hurry!

I understand. You went out of your way to come pick us up, didn't you.

Because I just couldn't wait!

Led by the hand down the stairs, Ashren-sama, who had been leaning his back against the front door in the same clothes as before, narrowed his eyes slightly when he saw me and straightened up.

Sorry to keep you waiting.

I don't mind. I returned the carriage to the stables, so let's walk. The food will taste better if we empty our stomachs a bit.

Yes. That being said, I am so nervous I wonder if I will be able to eat.

It is my brother and his wife, whom you have already met a few times. They are going to become your family, Layla, so there's no need to feel pressured... Whoa, Karin, you will trip if you run.

Ashren-sama chased after Karin-chan, who had started running with a tatta. Then, as if enjoying it, Karin-chan started running even faster. Perhaps she is more excited than usual because her father and mother are staying at the mansion for a long time.

In the twilight, I headed toward the main residence as if chasing after the backs of the two running ahead.

The only people in the dining room we were guided to were the Marquis Naturi couple.

It seems the Director has a dinner meeting with a merchant company she knows. I'm sure it's about the aroma candles.

Now, please sit down. Layla-san over there, and Ashren over there.

Managing the situation with a glamorous smile was my future sister-in-law, Catherine-san. Tying her brown hair into a round bun at the back of her neck, she briskly gave instructions to the maids. As expected of the assistant to the diplomat older brother, her efficiency is excellent.

My future brother-in-law, Claude-sama, had Karin-chan on his lap and was talking happily. His blonde hair, the same as Karin-chan's, was trimmed short, and his slightly drooping light-blue eyes narrowed even more gently... in short, he is completely doting on his beloved daughter. When the food was lined up on the table, prompted by Catherine-san, Karin-chan also sat in her own seat.

Claude-sama picked up his glass, thought for a moment with an "Uun," and then raised his glass saying, "Well, anyway, cheers."

Catherine-san offered me alcohol, but before I could, Ashren-sama declined for me, and I was handed orange juice. Since drinking at the villa, for some reason, I have been forbidden from drinking alcohol. Even though it was delicious.

Claude-sama is six years older than Ashren-sama; he had been dating Catherine-san since their academy days, and they apparently got engaged upon graduation. Usually they would marry immediately, but due to Catherine-san's strong desire, I heard she worked as Claude-sama's secretary for several years before they married. Unlike the Jilgista Kingdom, where parents decide on a fiancé while in their teens, in the Kanista Kingdom, it is common to get engaged to someone you met during your academy days or after entering society. Aside from the long engagement period, theirs is a typical encounter and marriage for the Kanista Kingdom.

I was nervous at first, but the stories the two told about foreign countries were very interesting, the food was delicious, and halfway through, I was laughing out loud.

Although Claude-sama's eye color is the same as Ashren-sama's, his facial features and personality are completely different. In contrast to Ashren-sama's handsome, prince-like face, Claude-sama has a sturdy build. The communication skills to laugh heartily and immediately open up to anyone are truly befitting a diplomat.

Then, did the two of you travel all the way to the western continent?

That's right. The culture is completely different from ours, making it fascinating. From now on, rare items such as jewelry, liquor, and medicine will be coming into the Kanista Kingdom.

Medicine! I am looking forward to that.

At my involuntary leaning forward, Ashren-sama and Claude-sama burst out laughing at the same time.

Layla, normally, that is where one would show interest in the jewelry.

But it is rare medicine, you know. Don't you want to see it?

Well, that's just like you, Layla.

Resting his elbow on the table and supporting his chin with his hand, Ashren-sama spilled a wry smile. I wonder if the alcohol at hand is his third glass.

That's right. We have some spoils from that time; I'm sure you will be pleased, Layla-san.

Saying "Please excuse me for a moment," Catherine-san took Karin-chan, who had sleepily started nodding off, and left the room. After a while, she returned hugging a thick book to her chest.

I left Karin with the maids. It's this, what do you think?

Placed on the table was a black book. Bound with a cloth cover and tied with string on the left side, it was made differently from the books I know.

May I look inside?

Of course.

Urged by her gaze, I flipped the page, and the first page had a list of letters and numbers. Because it's foreign text, I don't know what it says, but I wonder if it's something like a table of contents. Turning a few more pages, this time there were drawings of plants, mortars, pots, and such. Below that, closely packed text that I again couldn't understand.

Could this perhaps be...

Are the instructions for making medicine written here?

Yes, that's right. It seems they also incorporate medicinal herbs into their meals in that country, so I suppose the latter half is closer to a cookbook.

Catherine-san turned the pages and showed me the latter part. Judging from the pictures, I feel it certainly does look like cooking.

In this country, we also incorporate medicinal herbs into our cooking like herbs. I ate it too, and well, it has a unique flavor, but I felt like it was good for the body.

Does that mean the taste is a bit questionable? As I thought that, Claude-sama spoke up from beside her, "Your stomach felt better, didn't it," and was glared at by Catherine-san.

Can you read these letters, Catherine-san?

Yes. I act as both a secretary and an interpreter. The number of languages I can speak is more than Claude.

Amazing. Hearing her talk, she can apparently read ten languages, and has no trouble conversing in seven of them.

Is she calling him familiarly by the name Claude because they have been friends since their academy days? Come to think of it, Flora-san calls him Tick too. I felt a cultural difference even in a place like this.

Sister-in-law, you mentioned 'spoils' earlier; what did you do?

Fufu, just a little something with a foreign diplomat.

At Catherine-san, who smiled meaningfully, Claude-sama rubbed his forehead and made a sour expression as if remembering it. Realizing that Catherine-san, who was only smiling, wouldn't explain, Ashren-sama directed his gaze at Claude-sama.

Brother, what happened?

That diplomat—though he has royal blood, so his position isn't much different from mine—but he kept praising Catherine and flattering her.

Clicking his tongue with a "Tch," he continued his story: apparently, the diplomat requested a dance at the party held that night.

Dear, that was something like lip service. He is the type of person who thinks he must praise women if they are nearby. He's just taking on the role of a clown to liven up the surroundings.

I know. He is quite a malicious clown. And yet he is terrifyingly sharp-minded, so I can't let my guard down.

Even though it was just a dance, it seems Claude-sama didn't like the man. Whether knowing her husband's feelings or not, Catherine-san apparently challenged him to a match.

Sister-in-law, that match couldn't possibly have been...

Yes, just as you guessed, a drinking contest.

At Catherine-san's words, Ashren-sama dropped his head in dismay. Eh, I thought, and looked; in front of Catherine-san were several empty wine bottles. Did you drink all of that by yourself? Since when?

So, how did the opponent do?

He tried reasonably hard. But right around the time the date changed, he went plop.

Catherine-san laughed, Hohoho. With that beautiful face, could she really be a bottomless drinker?

And so, I received this book.

Catherine, that's basically equivalent to saying you snatched it.

Glancing sideways at the exasperated Claude-sama, Ashren-sama peered into the book in my hands. He seemed able to read it somewhat, following the letters with his eyes.

I will translate it by your wedding ceremony, Layla, so please wait for it.

Thank you very much. But please don't push yourself. Ashren-sama seems to understand it too, so...

No, I only understand about thirty percent. Sister-in-law, I also ask for your translation.

Translating this much volume should take quite a bit of time. Since she's finally back at the mansion, I would prefer she make time for Karin-chan, I thought, but she smiled at me as if she had seen right through that.

Actually, I translated more than half of it on the ship. I will finish it by the wedding, so please wait.

It seems it's a wedding gift for us. Hmm, giving a book snatched in a drinking contest as a congratulatory gift to her brother-in-law—Catherine-san is unexpectedly fierce despite her appearance.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56


[Bronze]

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Taylor King

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>