[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 57


The Square of Two-Faced 3

 

「By the way, are the preparations for your new home going smoothly?」

As if to say the talk about medicinal herbs was over, Claude-sama changed the subject while looking at me.

「Yes, I went to Lord Carton's workshop the other day, and we have gathered the furniture. At that time, he also showed us curtains dyed with a rare dye.」

「Oh, could that dye happen to be the leaves of the Monitares tree?」

「Did you know about it?」

「I intend to show off various things at Her Royal Highness Princess Stira's birthday party. That is one of the candidates. I just wish they could mass-produce it a little more.」

It seems a large amount of leaves is needed to dye the cloth, and they cannot prepare enough to export to foreign countries as it is now, so they are apparently in the middle of improving the production method. Claude-sama, becoming even more talkative, directed his words to Ashren-sama this time.

「Come to think of it, did you know that beautiful white flowers bloom on the Monitares tree around this time of year? I hear they smell good too.」

「I know of the Monitares tree, but I don't know about its flowers.」

「I heard they bloomed on the afforested trees. By the way, I hear the insect-repelling candle Layla made smells good. Mother is probably giving a passionate speech right about now, trying to make an improved version of it popular in the city. Apparently, she wants to make a rose-scented aroma candle for Her Royal Highness Princess Stira.」

The face of Princess Stira that I saw in the tent came to mind. Her figure, trying to put a lid on her secret love and live for her country, was dignified yet fragile, and I couldn't help but wish I could support her even a little. I was thinking if there was anything I could do other than writing a book, when an idea came to mind.

「Um, I do not know if it is possible, but I might be able to make perfume from the Monitares flowers. How about distributing that along with the book on Princess Stira's birthday? I want to help show off the Kanista Kingdom to neighboring countries even a little. Ah, but you are already making it in the Tarteria Kingdom, aren't you?」

「No, it seems those flowers do not bloom in the Tarteria Kingdom.」

「They do not bloom? But they bloom in our country, right?」

In that case, the conceivable reasons are differences in soil or temperature. Hmm, I tilted my head, and Claude-sama explained it to me.

「The Tarteria Kingdom is even further south than our country. From this time of year onward for half a year, it seems they continue to have days with maximum temperatures near forty degrees, and because of that, the flowers do not bloom.」

「Now that you mention it, I have heard they have deserts too.」

Even though it is a neighboring country separated by just one mountain, the climate is quite different.

From early summer to early autumn, for almost half a year, temperatures like midsummer in the Kanista Kingdom continue. The winters are correspondingly warm, but I hear they are very rarely hit by cold waves. This might also be related to ocean temperatures and the winds hitting the mountain range, but I am ignorant of knowledge in that field.

However, it is not uncommon for the ecology of plants to change depending on the temperature. If so, it means the Monitares flowers only exist in our country.

「It is a rare flower, so if successful, wouldn't it be useful for diplomacy as well?」

「Indeed, starting with the female royals, the wives of diplomats will also be attending, so it would surely gather attention. I know it is outside your field of expertise, but will you do it?」

「Yes. If it can be of use to this country, I will do my best.」

Having made the aroma candle, I thought there were many similarities to making medicine.

I have used steam distillation many times, and the equipment to be used is all familiar to me. Probably, I feel I can at least make the aromatic distilled water. As for the perfumery beyond that point, to be honest, I won't know until I try, and relying on an expert is also an option.

When I reached this thought, I met the eyes of Claude-sama, who was looking at me with a beaming smile.

What is this? This sensation of being perfectly fitted into a frame, of having the outer moat filled in. The déjà vu is too strong.

「Brother, I feel that the conversation progressed quite smoothly from the new house, to the Monitares tree, and then to the aroma candles?」

「It must be a coincidence. My, my, with this, we have one more topic to show off our country to other nations.」

Looking at the grinning corners of his mouth, I understood everything. The conversation up to now had been heading towards perfume very naturally. Although I was the one who suggested making it, even if I hadn't, I'm sure Claude-sama would have brought it up.

Ah, I've been had. Even knowing he is two-faced, even blacker than Ashren-sama, I was careless.

But what I said can't be helped, and more importantly, it is my true feeling that I want to do something for the Kanista Kingdom.

If the national power of the Kanista Kingdom rises, perhaps the choices available to Princess Stira might increase. I want her to avoid a marriage against her will, if possible. What I can do is limited, but I want to do what I can.

「I'm sorry on Claude's behalf, Layla. If you don't want to, it is perfectly fine to refuse.」

「No, Catherine-san. I am also interested, so I want to try it.」

「I see. But you are also making the book, so don't push yourself too hard. If there is anything difficult to say, you can just tell me.」

Catherine-san, puffing out her chest, is reliable. It feels like I've gained another ally.

The Monitares trees are located in the territory of Earl Hadren. Since they say the botanical garden there also has plants rare in the Kanista Kingdom, having a reason to go to Earl Hadren's territory is also something to be happy about.

「Earl Hadren's son is your subordinate, Claude-sama, right? Will he be the one to guide us?」

「No, there is work I have entrusted to him. The noble academy is currently on spring break, so I am thinking of asking his younger brother.」

The fact that the noble academy has two long breaks a year is the same as the Jilgista Kingdom. The timing, however, is early summer and early winter, about a month off from the Jilgista Kingdom's spring and autumn. Apparently, now is exactly that time.

Even so, to ask the younger brother of a subordinate whom we have probably almost never met—just as I was wondering if that was appropriate...

「I am also acquainted with the second son of Viscount Hadren. He is quite an eager student, and during his long breaks, he asked me if he could help with his older brother's work, so I have assigned him odd jobs a few times. I was planning to have him help with the preparations for the birthday party this time as well, so I think I will ask him to be your guide.」

Most students return to their family homes during long breaks. He thinks it's a good idea for him to go home while also helping with work. Claude-sama continued, saying "Besides."

「The Earl Hadren territory is the warmest region in the Kanista Kingdom. I hear there are hot springs too. Consider it a wedding gift from me, and the two of you, Ashren and Layla, should go together. A pre-wedding trip in the name of a field investigation.」

「Brother, do not decide things on your own.」

「Mother was in favor of it, you know.」

「...」

It seems the outer moat had already been completely filled in. Before I knew it, not only I, but Ashren-sama too, was completely in the palm of Claude-sama's hand. Claude-sama stood up, came over here, grabbed Ashren-sama's shoulder, and pulled him in tight.

「A pre-wedding trip isn't bad, you know. Besides, if something does happen, a month and a half is within the margin of error, so we can just laugh it off.」

...Laugh what off?

As I tilted my head in confusion, Ashren-sama put a hand on his chin with a thoughtful expression. As Claude-sama whispered something further, after a while, Ashren-sama opened his mouth with an unnaturally serious face.

「Understood. The work at the laboratory has also settled down, and if my boss has given her approval, there shouldn't be a problem.」

「I thought you would say that. Well then, have a good time.」

The expressions of the two nodding at each other are exactly the same. Wait, Ashren-sama, could it be you were talked into this?

After the meal, Claude-sama and Ashren-sama started playing chess. It seems they are betting on something, but they look like they are having fun, so I'll leave them be.

I was having tea time with the rare foreign dried fruits Catherine-san prepared for me. At that time, saying they were also souvenirs, she gave me a hairpin and solid perfume in addition to the book. Both were rare items, and as for the hairpin, I have no idea how to use it. I will ask a maid later.

「I am sorry. He is always like that.」

「It was my first time seeing Ashren-sama being danced in the palm of someone's hand. It was a little amusing.」

「I am relieved to hear you say that. You don't seem to have any resistance to the pre-wedding trip either.」

At those words, my cheeks grew hot.

As far as I am concerned, I intend it to be a field investigation, and I'm sure Ashren-sama... he thinks the same, right?

「Layla, thank you for always being with Karin. Karin talks about you looking so happy.」

「Not at all. Karin-chan is obedient and cute. I am also having fun, so please don't worry about it.」

「I am glad to hear that. But you know, to be honest, there are times when I hesitate, wondering if it's really okay to be away this much when my child is so young.」

Saying that, Catherine-san directed her gaze to a short chest next to the door. A single letter was placed there.

「I frequently receive letters from my grandmother asking when I will quit my job. I have lost my mother, so I understand she is worrying about me in a mother's place, but...」

Her words trailed off, and she let out a small sigh. I had thought the Kanista Kingdom was a country that viewed women working favorably, so those were slightly surprising words.

My bewilderment must have shown on my face; Catherine-san chuckled softly and continued.

「You are from the Jilgista Kingdom, right, Layla? In that country, it is rare for married women to work, isn't it.」

「Yes. Even among unmarried women, few work. I was, um...」

「You were helping your former fiancé, right? Together with your younger sister.」

I had spoken openly about myself when we first met. At that time, Ashren-sama was just a work colleague, so I didn't have much resistance to talking about being engaged previously, but in my current position, talking about a "former fiancé" makes me feel a bit small.

「Ah, you don't have to worry about having had a fiancé before. Ashren is well aware of that, after all.」

「Thank you. And so, is your grandmother opposed to you working, Catherine-san?」

「Yes. People of that age think that the only way of life for a woman is to be loved by a man and protect the home once married.」

That is exactly the same as the values of the Jilgista Kingdom. I was busy and rarely attended social gatherings, and all the women around me worked vibrantly, so I thought women in the Kanista Kingdom had always been like that.

「It seems values gradually began to change from my mother's generation. Part of it is that the population is small, so women's advancement in society was encouraged, but I hear it was a big factor that my mother-in-law, who is the King's older sister, continued to work as the Marquis Naturi's wife even after she married.」

Laughing with a troubled look, Catherine-san took a sip of tea and directed her gaze to the letter once again.

「According to people of that generation, since a mother gave birth to children, it is only natural for her to put her children first and live for her family. I don't think that way of thinking is wrong, but I believe that raising children, continuing to work, and being Claude's wife—all of it combined is my life. Even if people think I am greedy, I don't want to let go of any of them.」

「I understand. I also cannot imagine a life without doing research.」

Building a happy family might lead to a fulfilling way of life. But I also wish for a place that needs me as an individual human being.

「My grandmother tells me to quit my job for Karin's sake, but I want to work for Karin's sake. In the past, women were considered the property of men and their will was not respected. But now that we have jobs and are standing on an equal footing with men, the way women live has changed. Precisely because there are still people with ways of thinking like my grandmother's, our generation must act as a breakwater; I don't want to leave those old values for Karin's era.」

Having spoken that far, she let out a short laugh and smiled embarrassedly, saying, "I wonder if I'm drunk, I spoke a bit too passionately."

「No, I think it is a wonderful way of thinking. I am sure Karin-chan understands too.」

「I hope so. You know, Layla-san, the match between those two is going to take a while. If you'd like, I'll prepare a guest room, so you should stay the night.」

「What is Ashren-sama's win rate?」

「Forty percent. My husband is excellent in that regard.」

Laughing fufu, Catherine-san called a maid and prepared a room for me. I'm sure I will be woken up by Karin-chan tomorrow morning.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56


[Bronze]

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Taylor King

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>