[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 58


A Pre-wedding Trip in the Name of a Field Investigation 1

 

The application to head to Earl Hadren's territory went through smoothly, just as expected. It was so fast that I wondered if the application was even necessary anymore.

In addition to the request from the diplomat Claude-sama, considering that the Hadren territory has rare medicinal herbs and flowers, there might be no reason to oppose it, but the Director unusually stamped her seal without even reading the document.

However, because the Hadren territory faces the border, the round trip alone will take two weeks. Assuming a stay of four days in the Earl's territory, we will be away from the laboratory for a little under twenty days, so there was a lot of work that had to be finished before then.

Just as Ashren-sama said, there was no work with a pressing deadline, but I still had several ongoing experiments. Thanks to that, for these past four days I continued to return home late at night, and standing before the carriage prior to our departure, both Ashren-sama and I were stifling our yawns.

「Is this all the luggage?」

「Yes.」

Half of the carriage seats were filled with luggage. Unlike last time, we aren't climbing a mountain, so we haven't prepared for camping, but just the change of clothes alone amounted to a considerable number.

Besides that, since I plan to bring back any rare medicinal herbs if we find them, there are also tools and bottles for collection.

Because some types of plants do not last long, I also brought the necessary experimental tools for drying or boiling them down, which made the supposedly spacious carriage a little cramped.

Once we boarded, the carriage began to move. The soft morning sunlight coming into the carriage was pleasant, but Ashren-sama found even that too bright and promptly closed the curtains. He intends to sleep, I see.

「The Naturi Marquis family's carriage has soft seats, and this swaying also invites sleepiness, doesn't it. Ashren-sama, what time did you go to sleep last night?」

「I didn't sleep. I was finishing up the paperwork for the territory I'll be inheriting, and the sun came up.」

Upon marriage, Ashren-sama will be granted the title of Earl. I heard he was already helping with the territory management, but it seems there are various complicated procedures for officially taking it over.

While grumbling that this and that was all Claude-sama's fault, Ashren-sama lay down with a thud. His head was on my lap, as if it were only natural.

「A-Ashren-sama.」

「Don't mind it. I'm just going to sleep quietly.」

I think I am the one who gets to decide whether to mind it or not, though.

Ashren-sama squirmed for a while as if looking for a comfortable place for his head, and just when I thought he had stopped moving, I immediately heard his sleeping breathing. Now that it's come to this, I no longer have a choice.

Thinking 'Good grief,' I looked at his handsome face and could certainly see signs of fatigue. His hair swayed smoothly along with the shaking of the carriage. It's unfair that it shines like this without any maintenance. Leaving the curtains as they were, I opened the window just a little, and a pleasant breeze came in, causing Ashren-sama's mouth to relax slightly. T-This is...

Cute. The two-faced man is cute.

Actually, I had wanted to touch his silver hair for a while now. I wonder if it would be fine to do it just a little right now. When I gently ran my fingers through his hair, it flowed smoothly and pleasantly between them. It was much softer and finer than I had imagined. When I cautiously touched his cheek with my fingertips, he moved his face as if annoyed. Oh no, I almost accidentally woke him up.

Giving up with an 'It can't be helped,' I took out paper, a pen, and a hard board from the bag placed at my feet. The book creation requested by Claude-sama had barely been touched, as I was doing all I could just to handle my laboratory work.

Because the book will be printed using the recently developed letterpress printing, we promised to hand over the manuscript as soon as we return from the Earl's territory, so I couldn't waste the travel time either.

「I hear they use colored ink for printing too.」

Apparently, the text will be black, and the leaves will be printed in green and brown. Strictly speaking, even if you say 'green', it ranges widely from the fresh green of young leaves to dark green, but they said that much variation is impossible. Even so, they said the cover alone would be printed in five colors, so they probably want to promote not just the content, but the letterpress printing technology as well.

Having no particular resources is how other countries evaluate the Kanista Kingdom. However, Claude-sama declared that people themselves are the resources, and it seems the country provides grants for technological innovation in all fields.

Because I work in a national laboratory, I didn't know about the grant system, but it seems research and technological reforms utilizing it are progressing at a dizzying pace. I heard there was even a group of students who succeeded in development using that grant, and perhaps it was the people Princess Stira had talked about.

To think that what the Kanista Kingdom is showing off the most to other countries right now is pharmaceuticals; as someone involved in it, I feel the weight of the responsibility. Just the fact that the King's older sister is the person in charge and her son is the Deputy Director has a massive impact on other countries.

Furthermore, the medicine I developed is highly evaluated in other countries as well, and rumors are spreading that His Highness the Second Prince of the Jilgista Kingdom is praising it highly. To think he is properly keeping the promise he made with Ashren-sama—he is unexpectedly upright, so I might need to revise my evaluation of him in that regard.

Now then, I gripped my pen anew and recalled the text Catherine-sama translated for me. I have written research papers before, but a book is a different matter, so I received the translated version of just a few pages beforehand and decided to use it as a reference.

I have already decided on the medicinal herbs to write about, so I put their characteristics, effects, and drying times into words. Losing sight of my surroundings when I get absorbed is a bad habit of mine. Therefore, I didn't notice at all that Ashren-sama had cracked his eyes open and was looking at me.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56


[Bronze]

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Taylor King

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>