[WN] Jitsuwa 3-Domedatta : Chapter 465


Chapter 465

(Kyle Calendar Year 516: Age 23)

Secret Journey ③ Transformation of the New Eastern Territory

 

Having finished the inspection in the north and the unexpected business negotiation, and having grasped the threads of a dowry and an event, I stayed just one night and this time spurred my horse south along the northern highway. Of course, I wanted to take it easy, but I wasn't in the mood for that. I had to quickly finish the other piece of business and return to Kusanagi as soon as possible. When I arrived just before the Royal Capital Kylar, I changed my course to the east, and this time proceeded earnestly along the eastern highway. And a few days later... I arrived near the nostalgic eastern border fort, around the battlefield where we fought the longbowmen, but the scenery around the border had completely changed!

「Archduke-heika, we have been waiting for you.」

「Margrave Hamish is also deeply pleased by your inspection of the new eastern territory this time. Because the situation is what it is, he cannot leave the front lines, so please forgive his impoliteness in not being able to come and welcome you...」

The one who waited for me just before the old national border and spoke first was Alexis, who was now a heavyweight of the Demon Territory Dukedom and a Margrave, and following him was his father, Count Bauner. To begin with, when I left Kusanagi, I had also called out to Alexis. However, since he was engaged in developing his territory in the Margrave territory, he was following after me, so I had him enter the old eastern border directly. Baron Bauner had also been promoted to Viscount in the great war three years ago, and later received an addition to his stipend upon discarding his old territory to settle in the new territory, and was now a Count. Sending him, who has deep ties with me, as a guide is probably also Margrave Hamish's consideration.

「Even so, hasn't this entire area changed too much?」

Yes, originally, the highway leading to the fort at the national border was a road of fine soil that turned into mud if heavy rain fell, and forests leading to the Demon Territory should have spread on the left and right of the highway. But now...

「Hahaha, we also received reports from the inspection team, and have proceeded with rebuilding this entire area following the example of Aegis and Izanami. I am glad to be able to report the results of these three years.」

Indeed, the forest zone where the Demon Territory is, and the location where defense lines were constructed in the past, have been fortified with a continuous solid stone defensive wall, and although small in scale, a townscape had been constructed around the highway. And the highway itself had been paved with stone and drainage channels were maintained, changing into a road that can be traveled without problems even in the rainy season.

「The issue in this place was the water supply, but we were able to secure a water source sufficient for a town of this scale to manage. Because the means to collect rainwater from the rocky mountains have also evolved...」

「What is surprising is the other side beyond the old border fort. Because that side has also changed beyond recognition.」

No, Alexis said that, but just this side is a surprisingly sufficient change, though. The rocky mountains on the left and right of the fort, which were that difficult problem, had also been fully excavated, and had changed their appearance into robust structures rather than rocky mountains... Probably after the war, the Margrave used the allocated reward money and fully mobilized Mages to undertake the construction, right? And beyond the fort...

As we exited the gate, a semicircular defensive wall surrounded an area with a radius of two kils, and inside it was a giant stationing ground, and at the tip of the circle was a star-shaped citadel resembling Aegis... I mean, it's exactly the same! I almost wanted to say that unintentionally.

「Well, it seems due to the water supply, the defense base could only be constructed two kils ahead.」

I suppose so. The Kyle Kingdom side has a relatively gentle uphill slope until the old border, but the Istoria side has a considerably steep downhill slope from the old border, and water cannot be sent from a lower place. There must have been such a reason.

「But still, they did all this in just three years? That's also an amazing story.」

「Hahaha, from our perspective, the Demon Territory Dukedom is far more absurd. After all, every time the inspection team returns, they bring up something completely different from the previous report, to the point where even the Margrave tilted his head in puzzlement.」

Well, that's certainly true, but... Termira, Izanami, and the entirety of Izumo had greatly transformed in mere six-month increments, and even I myself was surprised by it, so...

◇

Even after that, the new eastern territory we advanced through unfolded with sceneries I felt like I had seen everywhere. The newly developed pioneer lands were surrounded by defensive walls to secure safety, and those formed several clusters to become pioneer villages, and moats utilizing the flow of the river surrounded the entire pioneer village. This too, sorry to say, but it's exactly the same as the pioneer villages we made!

「When Margrave Hamish received the new territory, he said to us: 『There is no need to lament it as a frontier. We have a wonderful precedent. If it is undeveloped land, we should view that as an advantage.』」

Hahaha, so you used the former Demon Territory Count territory as a reference? No wonder the inspection teams Margrave Hamish sent every time were outstanding in scale and lineup. Unlike the north, the new eastern territory was the extreme frontier and undeveloped land even in the Istoria Imperial Kingdom. Therefore, there must be more than enough room to intervene, and it hid the possibility of the harvest yield improving dramatically depending on the development.

「Perhaps it's safe to say it's fortunate, but we lacked neither settlers nor manpower to serve as laborers. Because territory residents exhausted by the tyranny led by the church migrated en masse from the Istoria Imperial Kingdom.」

That's probably true. What was ceded as the new territory was a part of one county including the national border out of the three northern counties, but I heard that the other places were also designated as buffer zones where soldiers of both countries would not intervene, so there was no national border worthy of the name. Even on the Imperial Kingdom side, they were probably on alert to prevent escapes, but in the final stage when they lost Isra, they probably didn't have the leeway for that.

「Therefore, we gained hundreds of thousands of new territory residents, and the reception desks newly established in various places were operating until late at night at one point...」

I mean, you copied that too! It's already a perfect copy state. I don't intend to complain, and I'm grateful you're using it as a reference, but... Besides, hundreds of thousands, that's the same scale as the population of the Demon Territory Dukedom a little while ago, you know? Now, the new eastern territory that completely requisitioned one whole county, and the new northern territory that requisitioned the jointly managed territory of the Federation; both already possess vast territories on the scale of a small country. How to handle the two new territories that possess outstanding domains; the Kingdom will probably be racking its brains over this from now on. I don't know about this area, though.

After that, following the Count's guidance, we extended our journey to the border zone with the Ist-Harias Holy State, which is the current front line.

◇◇◇

At the territorial border designated as the new national border, a five thousand strong stationed army commanded by Margrave Hamish, two thousand cavalry of the Frontier Knights, and additionally ten thousand cavalry of the Third Army of the Royal Capital Knights were deployed, creating a heavy atmosphere as if a battle was about to begin. And in the tent we were guided to...

「Ooh! It has been a long time. I apologize anew for the impoliteness of not being able to welcome you. Because it is a place like this, we cannot offer you grand hospitality, but please come inside.」

「Archduke-heika, thank you very much for the excessive rewards at that time. I was terribly rude for not being able to visit the Demon Territory Dukedom to return the favor.」

Margrave Hamish and Army Commander Schultz, who were waiting in front of the tent, welcomed me with fear and trepidation, prostrating themselves, but a little while ago I was in the opposite position, you know? Somehow... it's hard to deal with.

「Ah, I just dropped by personally, so please do not concern yourselves.」

I did my best just to say that and stop them. To begin with, as a King, being welcomed with prostration by people who used to be my superiors doesn't suit my nature personally, either.

「So... what are the movements of the Holy State?」

「They had deployed their army at the territorial border until they destroyed the Imperial Kingdom, but after that, they daringly withdrew their army. Since the messenger of non-aggression sent to the Royal Capital arrived, it seems they are striving not to provoke us.」

「So without crossing the territorial border?」

「Yes, if I state it accurately, we haven't requisitioned the entirety of the one county either. We have designated a river slightly before that as the boundary line, and made that the provisional national border.」

I see, even though it's one county, the three northern counties are vast. In terms of size alone, they are about as large as two or three counties in the south or center. To protect it, they probably also need to choose terrain that is easy to defend. Because each of the three northern counties is as large as one nation of the Piette Merchant Federation, after all.

「Now, our main job has become cracking down on the likes of invading bandits rather than guarding the national border, you see.」

「Army Commander Hoffman, does that mean it's still rough?」

「It's something I heard, but the final stage of the Imperial Kingdom seems to have been in a terrible state. As a result of being pushed into the northernmost county, they lacked food, and the Holy Knights were apparently just like bandits...」

Tch, those guys, huh. Even Glenn, who hailed from the Imperial Kingdom, hated them enough to distort his face when talking about them.

「It seems the Holy State also showed no mercy in subjugating only the Holy Knights without accepting their surrender, and those who escaped from that seem to have turned into bandits. They mainly use the buffer zone where the Holy State does not interfere as their stronghold, and we are still proceeding with subjugation...」

「Margrave Hamish, what about the influx of refugees other than them?」

「It stopped perfectly at a certain period. At first, we thought it was because the Orthodox Theocracy deployed soldiers at the territorial border, but the influx stopped even from regions where their controlled area advanced north and soldiers withdrew.」

I see, has strict governance reached everywhere, or has good governance been laid out so there's no need to flee? In any case, some sort of change must have occurred.

「That Orthodox Theocracy itself changed into the Holy State before anyone knew it, right?」

「Yes, a messenger suddenly visited, announced the establishment of the Holy State and the yielding of the buffer zone, and unilaterally notified us of non-aggression. For us, the contents were something to doubt our ears at first, but...」

「The story regarding the First Prince of the Empire, and the story regarding the Clan of Darkness too?」

「Exactly as you say. They said, 『For many years, there were unfortunate misunderstandings between our two countries, but now we are in a position holding common enemies together. Even if we cannot fight a joint struggle, there should be room for coordination.』」

Yeah, there is credibility to what they are saying. It is the same at the northern border, but their actions are consistent in their stance of not picking a fight with the Kyle Kingdom. Rather, it wouldn't be a stretch to say they are making efforts to gain trust.

「Are there any other concerning pieces of information regarding the First Prince?」

「Yes, because we have never faced them directly, we cannot say for certain, but it seems there are a considerable number of soldiers thought to be iron cavalry among the soldiers of the Holy State...」

「I-Iron cavalry, you say! Ah, no... please excuse me.」

Eisen, who was nearby, was ashamed of having unintentionally raised his voice, but it's not someone else's problem for him. Because he himself was originally an iron cavalryman of the Imperial Guards, who boasted of being the strongest in the Empire under the banner of the First Prince...

「This matter requires confirmation. I apologize to Eisen, but would you mind staying under Margrave Hamish for a few weeks, and proceed with confirmation as much as possible? I intend to leave about fifty cavalry I led from our side behind.」

「Yes, of course. I will take responsibility and look after the indiscretions of my own people until the end. If they belonged to the Imperial Guards, there are many old acquaintances among them. If they are in the Holy State...」

「Yeah, regardless of life or death, there's probably no mistake that the First Prince had joined them.」

I haven't revealed it to them at this point, but I have another thought. The First Prince faction and the Clan of Darkness were connected. In that sense, 『that report』 I was told in the Royal Capital is not contradictory.

「Anyway, I want you to be extremely careful of the man named Harias. It's the same in the new northern territory, but he is no ordinary person, and seems quite well-versed in the circumstances of various countries. Even if he has no intent to fight, I want you to respond to him as a top-tier person requiring caution.」

For the new eastern territory as well, the contents that can be confirmed at this point and the contents that should continue to be confirmed were sorted out. Having confirmed that, after inspecting the new territory entirely, I set off on the return journey to Kusanagi. Of course, on the way back, I daringly skipped Kylar, though. To avoid getting dragged into unnecessary trouble. However... my expectations were splendidly overturned. What awaited me when I returned to Kusanagi was...

 -----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56


[Bronze]

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Taylor King

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>