[WN] Jitsuwa 3-Domedatta : Chapter 464


Chapter 464

(Kyle Calendar Year 516: Age 23)

Secret Journey ② Negotiations with the Federation

 

In order to meet with the messengers, we had to change seats. Participating on the Kyle Kingdom side were Margrave Model and Army Commander Hoffman, along with one general under each of them. Additionally, Virele and I joined and sat at the table.

On the other hand, the Federation side consisted of a total of six people: the Minister of Commerce who was appointed as the allied nations' Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary, the representatives of the four countries located west of the new territory, and the governing representative of the jointly managed territory. It seemed to be an unprecedented lineup for them. Does this mean they are quite pressed and eager to reach some sort of conclusion on this occasion?

After greetings, including standard diplomatic pleasantries, were exchanged between Margrave Model and the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary, they suddenly cut to the main topic.

「Now then, I presume the preparations in your country are complete? Of course, we will also support you with all our might.」

Hey hey, the side asking for reinforcements has no right to talk about 『support』 or anything! Are they misunderstanding their own position?

「Well now, I do not understand what you are referring to. We merely followed the King-heika's orders and readied our soldiers to protect our national territory.」

Hahaha, his feigned ignorance around here is top-notch as expected. The other party clearly made an unpleasant expression.

「If so, is there not a need to strike out immediately? Your country's national territory is about to be invaded right now. You cannot afford to involve the hard-won new territory in the ravages of war, can you?」

「For that reason as well, we have thus readied our soldiers and are preparing. However... there is also a major problem.」

「What do you mean by a problem? At the border of the jointly managed territory, violent soldiers have readied their preparations for invasion, and their intent to invade is obvious, is it not! If they cross that, your country will also be trampled in the blink of an eye!」

Perhaps losing his patience with the Margrave's evasive attitude, the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary raised his voice. However, if we isolate only this part, what he's saying is correct.

At the time of the territorial cession, because the former Uros Kingdom was divided into three parts north to south, the jointly managed territory and the new territory have a vertically long terrain where the east-west distance is very narrow. Therefore, once the enemy army crosses the border, they will easily pass through the jointly managed territory and reach the new territory on the Kyle Kingdom side as well. Moreover, there isn't even a decent defensive facility line at the border.

「Even if their intentions are visible, we cannot open war unless they step foot into Kingdom territory. It is a frustrating story for us warriors, but this is the national policy our country has protected for many years: exclusively defensive defense.」

「B-But... we are in a position where we do not even know what tomorrow brings. Once war open, many citizens will have everything stolen by the violent soldiers! Now that the sea route is blockaded, the land route is the only escape route!」

The one who raised the tragic voice was the representative of the jointly managed territory. From his perspective, he probably wants reinforcements to be deployed as soon as possible to bring the situation under control.

「We are aware of that as well. For that reason, I believe we sent a notification saying, 『We will provide accommodations when you evacuate and pass through our country,』 did we not? However, you had better hurry with that too.」

「Wh-What do you mean?」

「In recent years, we have always achieved victory even under overwhelmingly disadvantageous conditions. Do you understand why that is?」

「「「「「???」」」」」

At this point, I understood what Margrave Model wanted to say, but they seemed completely clueless. Even so... his skill at evading the issue is first-rate.

「It's simple. In fighting, we have always obtained the advantage of the terrain. No matter how strong an enemy that outnumbers us, they were no match for us who had the geographical advantage. Therefore, this time as well, we will follow the example of our past battles.」

「Which means?」

「In the unlikely event that the Holy State's forces invade the new territory, we will immediately protect the citizens and conduct a strategic retreat towards the former Kingdom side. Therefore, we have just decided in the earlier meeting to issue a decree to the territory residents in advance, and have them prepare to evacuate just in case.」

「「「「「What!」」」」」

Hahaha, were they all so astonished that they involuntarily stood up from their seats? It's a natural reaction if they realize the army they were relying on won't even become a wall. Moreover, if the Kingdom army retreats, this time the countries of the Federation will become the front lines, and the developments that will happen beyond that are obvious.

「You say you will retreat without fighting! What of the Kingdom's honor!」

「For us, honor means not sacrificing the territory residents, and achieving a complete victory without sacrificing soldiers. While it is appreciated that your country worries about our honor, it is an unnecessary concern.」

「If so, even without retreating, you could just strike out! To completely control the national border, the Holy State has deployed its soldiers widely and lacks depth. If you attempt a single-point breakthrough, deploy to the rear, and push them in...」

Hahaha, a rear deployment tactic after a frontal breakthrough? That's the epitome of crude tactics. If it were me, I'd dare to open a hole and let them break through, then envelop the enemy that broke through with my entire army and annihilate them by encirclement. Probably, the Holy State side has also prepared calculations for such a situation as one possibility.

「In that case, we would be the ones to strike first, and we would be invading the Holy State, would we not?」

「To begin with, they are invaders, what hindrance is there to that...」

「It will not do!」

Here, Margrave Model roared. Completely changing from his evasive responses until now, revealing his anger.

「Even in the battle three years ago, the great war on which the fate of the Kingdom hinged, we earnestly carried through with exclusively defensive defense! Even against the Imperial army, which had already repeatedly invaded and violated our national territory. Do you people not understand our feelings, like vomiting blood!」

This is an undeniable fact. The Margrave and I both fought that way as concerned parties in the previous great war. However... the truth is that we simply didn't have the leeway to counter-invade, there's that aspect too.

「B-But then, are you telling us to sit and accept the invasion of the enemy army!」

「I'll return those words exactly back to you. Are you telling us to throw away our lives and become watchdogs for the Federation? The lives of soldiers cannot be bought with money!」

「「「「「......」」」」」

At Army Commander Hoffman's words, they all fell silent simultaneously. It hits the mark, so it can't be helped. However, only the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary wore a fearless smile.

「Am I to understand... that this is the response of the Kyle Kingdom side to a friendly nation, reflecting the will of King Kyle? As I am appointed as the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary, my words are the consensus of the Federation.」

"So what?" is what I feel like saying to that way of speaking. Are you capable of providing an answer representing the Kingdom? Is that what he's asking, including a half-threat? Although, being the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary, he is in a position to receive the consensus of the entire Federation, so his voice is equal to that of a head of state. Is he using that position to come and threaten us this time?

「If you do not extend a hand even when we are in a predicament, we cannot possibly rely on the Kingdom. How the neighboring countries will think of the Kyle Kingdom... I would appreciate it if you could understand that it cannot be helped if we, out of desperation, side with the Imperial Kingdom instead.」

Hahaha, what a nasty threat. Moreover, utilizing the difference in position to start cornering us... This is no longer the phrasing of a side asking for help. In response, it's probably not something the Kingdom side can answer immediately from the position of a Margrave or Army Commander. Even if their opinions don't flip, the initiative of the negotiation shifts to them.

If I weren't present here... that is. Here, I also resolved myself not to show them any mercy.

「Following the words you just spat out, if you want to side with the Holy State, you may do so. And which countries are you referring to when you mentioned neighboring countries earlier? As far as I know, I don't think there are any countries that would go along with your tyranny.」

Gazes concentrated all at once on me who made that statement. One side was filled with hostility, and the other side looked like they were half-stifling laughter.

「I-It is not the place for a mere civil official to speak! Throw this arrogant scoundrel out immediately!」

Hahaha, arrogant on top of being treated as a scoundrel. That's an absolutely terrible way to be spoken to. Being told that by a complete unknown, it's understandable that a vein would pop in his forehead, though.

「Insolent fool! What is a mere Plenipotentiary Ambassador babbling to the Archduke-heika of the Demon Territory Dukedom!」

Oops... Army Commander Hoffman got angry. Of course, I think it's an act. The table his fist slammed into broke beautifully in half with a roaring sound, and his right hand as he stood up with a fierce expression was grasping the hilt of his sword, overflowing with bloodlust as if to say, 『I'll kill you, you know?』

「First, I'll ask, what did you of the Federation do during the Kyle Kingdom's predicament three years ago? You did nothing, right? Rather, two countries rode on Istoria's provocation and criticized the Kingdom, and two countries rode along with the rebel army of the Fearalt Principality, didn't they? Furthermore, didn't the Uros Kingdom invade without even declaring war? For the sake of you lot, are you telling us to bend the national policy we wouldn't bend even when our own country faced a crisis of existence? Just who do you think you are!」

Yes, at least four countries of the Federation were not our allies. Even the friendly two countries might have supported us in terms of commerce, but that was strictly a part of their business. Because I, who participated in the regular meetings handling national defense, received detailed reports on those circumstances.

「By the way, if you want to become hostile with the Kingdom and invade, I don't mind that either. The Kyle Kingdom will take you on anytime.」

「Even as an Archduke, arbitrarily saying such...」

「That's not all. The Kyle Kingdom has now formed an alliance with the Griffonia Empire, the Fearalt Principality, the Lute-Vile-Cain Kingdom, and the Demon Territory Dukedom. I will lead the allied army of the four countries and rush to the Kingdom's aid. I'll praise only your boldness and spirit for trying to fight against that, though.」

「「「「「......」」」」」

They are countries that make a living through business, after all. They likely have some knowledge of the movements between nations. If I am genuine, they likely understand that what I said isn't empty boasting either.

「Precisely because I am an outsider with no conflict of interest, I will dare to speak. Since you call yourself an Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary, you must have prepared at least a souvenir to make the Kingdom your watchdog, haven't you? How about you stop the clumsy probing and speak frankly?」

I was able to bring this up precisely because of Virele's proposal, though. The Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary exchanged glances with the representatives of each country, then slowly began to speak.

「W-We the Federation, to the Kyle Kingdom, the governance of the jointly managed territory... e-entrust...」

「Entrust? If so, I don't think it can be called Kingdom territory?」

Yes, if it's an entrustment, it's merely a stopgap measure. There's no way the Kingdom would nod their heads to something so short-sighted.

「No, excuse me. We are prepared to transfer it. In exchange, if you could promise thorough resistance against the invaders...」

「Then you can consult with the Kingdom side along those lines from now on. There is no reason for me to intervene in that.」

In the end, transfer was the worst-case scenario they had prepared in advance, and they probably intended to proceed with negotiations in a slightly more advantageous form from there. And we will merely end up reluctantly accepting the gift prepared by the Holy State. The Uros Kingdom, which was barely allowed to exist, had originally done things that naturally warranted destruction by the Kyle Kingdom, and the Immortal Kingdom could also be called an anti-Kingdom force. The Kyle Kingdom side has no obligation to rescue them, and to begin with, the Kingdom will not move for the Federation, with which they haven't even concluded an alliance.

「Then everyone, the discussion is settled with this. Is it alright to think so?」

「「「「「Yes!」」」」」

「「「「「「...Yes.」」」」」」

The responses are contrasting too. However, they merely cut their losses within their expectations. It's just that they intended to corner the Kingdom side, but were conversely cornered completely by me, making it involuntary for them.

Now then, should I follow up a little bit?

「This is a good opportunity. Taking this occasion, I would like to introduce our country's Minister of Commerce to each country of the Federation.」

When I said so, Virele stood up and bowed before them.

「Just between us, a large event is scheduled to be held in the Kyle Kingdom with a target of one year from now. As its centerpiece, a trade fair bringing together specialty products and goods from each country will be held. And there, representatives and merchants of each allied nation will gather, which will likely become a huge business opportunity for countries that make trade their livelihood.」

「「「「「!!!」」」」」

When I said that, everyone on the Federation side changed their looks. As expected, when it comes to business talk, their bite was almost laughable.

「I am planning to have the Minister of Commerce manage that trade fair. For the time being, I will have him stay in the new territory, but sales pitches are very welcome.」

「「「「「By all means!」」」」」

Hahaha, if this were Japan, it would have become a flow where a business card exchange begins all at once. For them, the Griffonia Empire and the Lute-Vile-Cain Kingdom are untapped frontiers, and to begin with, if it's a trade fair where merchants from each country gather, there are countless business opportunities. With this, they will be able to save face a little when they return to their countries.

Now then, has a path been set for the response in the north? Although highly involuntary, the newly ceded territory will likely have sufficient value as Karin's dowry to the Kyle Kingdom.

I'll leave the rest to them, and I'll go to the next... Somehow I feel like I'm being used conveniently just as the old raccoon and the others intended, but... it's just my imagination, right?

 -----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56


[Bronze]

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Taylor King

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>