Chapter 463
(Kyle Calendar Year 516:
Age 23)
Secret Journey ① The Tense New Northern Territory
Having
finished my business in the Royal Capital, I began to move on my own to gather
information around the Kingdom, under the legitimate reason of it being part of
the support for the concluded alliance. Leaving the Royal Capital that very
day, I proceeded earnestly along the northern highway, spurring my horse
towards the new northern territory governed by Margrave Model. Well, to
be honest, if I stayed in the Royal Capital any longer, there was a possibility
of getting dragged into more unnecessary trouble. And when a few days had
passed...
「Takuhir-sama, beyond this is the former Cocytus
territory and the former Margrave Meskino territory. Although the lords
have already changed and they are recovering from the ravages of war, it is not
certain that there are no remnants. We will slip through in a battle-ready
state.」
Saying
so and commanding the formation was Christoph, who had experience
participating in the northern front previously.
「Was it a bad idea to leave Gord
and the others behind so as not to stand out?」
Yes,
we had departed leaving Gord and fifty cavalry behind in Kylar.
One of the reasons was that since our upcoming actions would be a secret
journey, we left them behind to avoid standing out and to act with as few
people as possible, but there was another major reason. Although I proposed an
event involving neighboring countries and undertook its production, I do not
know the latest situation regarding the Royal Capital's infrastructure.
Therefore, I left behind Gord, who has experienced hosting the top-tier
tournament in Teigoon many times from the standpoint of an executive
committee member, to investigate and consolidate information around that. He is
a companion who started the tournament from scratch with me, and he understands
the hardships of the operating side and the points of focus that must be kept
in mind. Besides that, he also had the mission of discussing with Commander Gouras
of the Royal Capital Knights regarding the soldiers dispatched from the
knights. Currently, a certain number of personnel are always dispatched from
the Royal Capital Knights to the Demon Territory Knights. Of course,
this was requested by them, but we regularly conduct rotations, and some
applicants have transferred to the Demon Territory Knights. To prevent
things from getting awkward in that regard, Vice Commander Gord was
handling it in advance as an intermediary.
「Well, if it's the steady and sincere
General Gord, there will be no mistake in either investigation or
negotiation. There was a large number of transfer applicants this time, and the
General was also holding his head. I think it will be settled more amicably by
speaking directly.」
「Regarding this point, it's a happy
story for us, though. From Commander Gouras's perspective, it's a story
like being tricked, sending them for training only for them to go and never
come back.」
「Yes, it seems he is also receiving consultations
regarding the improvement of treatment for the Royal Capital Knights this time
due to that matter.」
Hahaha,
that's how it is. In the Kyle Kingdom, the Royal Capital Knights are the
stars and the object of admiration, but it's not like they have no issues.
Their highest priority mission is to protect the Royal Capital and the King-heika,
and their opportunities to go to the front lines are limited. That becomes a
bottleneck, and their opportunities to achieve martial exploits are also
limited. But it's different for those dispatched to the Demon Territory
Knights. They constantly fight on the foremost lines, their expeditions to
other countries are remarkably frequent, and the companions they fight with are
the absolute elite. They have many opportunities to apply themselves, and among
the members of the Royal Capital Knights who had been cooped up in the Royal
Capital until now, there are many who grow tired of it and want to remain in
the stimulating Demon Territory Knights. Moreover, it seems that when
they are seconded, allowances are paid in addition to their salary, and
temporary allowances are also given during expeditions and wartime, so there's
a big difference in income. Even during peacetime, the meals at the Demon
Territory Knights are good, new barracks with private rooms have been
prepared, and there are even communal baths. The reason many of the women
belonging to the crossbow unit, who used to call themselves Clarisse-denka's
personal guards long ago, requested to transfer to the Demon Territory
Dukedom was reportedly due to dissatisfaction with the manly barracks and
living environment of the Royal Capital Knights, and the cleanliness (smell) of
the members was a major factor.
「Hahaha, the Knight Commander has a
hard time too.」
「To begin with, I think comparing it
with Takuhir-sama's army itself is unreasonable in various ways.
There were many times when we were made to realize later that what is common
sense for us is an absurdly generous treatment compared to others.」
That's
understandable too. To begin with, I had the financial leeway to reform the
treatment, and it started out small anyway. In Teigoon at the time,
there was also plenty of land, and to advance recruiting advantageously, I
constantly wracked my brains thinking of treatments surpassing a modern
Japanese style. Because we prepared the barracks to be usable as sickbeds
considering epidemic response, we promoted private rooms for all soldiers to
maintain cleanliness, and prepared baths as a matter of course, making daily
bathing common sense.
「Even Eisen, who was
originally an iron cavalryman of the Empire's absolute elite, laughed
saying, 『Coming to the Demon Territory
Dukedom, I realized anew that we were made to live in pigsties before.』」
That
very Eisen is currently leading an additional fifty cavalry entrusted to
him by Gord, and is following us silently.
「It's been a forced march the whole
time. I wonder if 『he』,
who isn't used to it, is keeping up properly?」
At
that question, Christoph nodded silently. Of course, that doesn't refer
to Eisen. It referred to the person I had accompany us just in case
during this summons to the Royal Capital.
「He wasn't originally a trained
soldier, so he's managing... However, once we enter the new territory, I think
he will be able to fully demonstrate his true ability.」
「For now, keep this pace, because
time is precious.」
Saying
so, our one hundred and fifty cavalry rushed north without slowing down.
◇◇◇
Partly
due to hurrying the march, we entered the new territory about two days earlier
than the normal schedule, and headed straight for the foremost line where a
strict alert posture was laid out. There, in addition to the three thousand
stationed army under the direct command of Margrave Model, two thousand
from the Frontier Knights and ten thousand from the Second Army of the Royal
Capital Knights were deployed, a total force of fifteen thousand preparing
against the enemy army gathered beyond the national border. While there was a
heavy atmosphere, the soldiers following discipline came and went orderly, and
we were guided to the main camp of Margrave Model.
「Ooh! It has been a long time. I
heard the story from the herald and thought it couldn't be, but to think Archduke-heika
himself would come...」
Saying
so, the Margrave stood up immediately, and following him, everyone present was
about to kneel, but I hastily reached out my hand and stopped them.
「We merely stopped by to grasp the
situation after hearing the story from King Kyle and the Minister of
Foreign Affairs. Since this is a personal visit and not an official one, please
do not concern yourselves.」
「Hahaha, is that so. Even so, for the
Archduke himself to disguise his status and inspect the front lines... I am
surprised by your agility and boldness.」
Huh?
I feel like I remember this situation from somewhere... Of course, what I
remember was being in the position of the one surprised, though. Doing
something like this, aren't I in the same category as the Emperor of the Empire
and the King of Fearalt, and in no position to say anything about them?
「So, what are the movements of the
Holy State?」
「That is... strangely enough, after
suppressing the Immortal Kingdom and the Uros Kingdom with
lightning speed, they stopped their march perfectly just before the jointly
managed territory of the Federation located between the Uros Kingdom and
the new territory.」
「It's not like they withdrew their
army, right?」
「Yes, they have deployed their army
to exert pressure while maintaining a combat posture, but they have not set a
single foot into the jointly managed territory.」
What
does that mean? Are they hesitating to attack because the Kyle Kingdom
side sent reinforcements more swiftly than they expected?
「What is the total number of the
enemy army? Within the range you know is fine, please give me detailed
information.」
「Yes, the scouts' reports are
insufficient and uncertain, but the enemy army is around fifteen thousand in
total; it seems they absorbed the armies held by the two annexed countries as
well.」
They
must have left a corresponding number of garrison soldiers in their home
country, so if that's the case, it's more than expected. But the mother bodies,
the Imperial Kingdom and the Orthodox Theocracy, should have been considerably
ravaged. If so, how were they able to prepare this many soldiers in a short
period?
「What is the basis for that judgment?」
「Because for an army from Istoria,
the lineup is vastly different. The longbowmen are probably around one to two
thousand, but the cavalry is abnormally numerous at over five thousand.」
One-third
of the total is cavalry, huh. Originally, excluding the Holy Knights, they
should have very few cavalry. Is a composition ratio completely different from
before what makes the Margrave say so?
「Also, a messenger from the enemy
army came yesterday, saying strange things... 『We
have concluded a non-aggression pact with the Kyle Kingdom, and that
will not change in the future. In accordance with our friendship with the
Kingdom, we would be happy if you would accept our sincerity and gift.』」
Right,
I understand the sincerity part. They are probably trying to show through their
actions at the northern border as well that they clearly stated they would not
antagonize the Kingdom at the eastern border. Although it comes with the
premise of "at least for now..." But what is this 『gift』? What are they calling a gift?
「I apologize for interrupting the
conversation. I feel like I've seen the enemy army's intention, but may I be
permitted to speak?」
The
one who offered that advice was, besides Christoph and Eisen, the
person I dared to bring along on this inspection, Viscount Virele of the
former Uros Kingdom, who is currently serving as the Minister of
Commerce of the Demon Territory Dukedom. Since the old raccoon's letter
originally mentioned matters concerning the east and north, he was one of the
people I brought along just in case when I left Kusanagi.
「I don't mind. I will introduce him
to everyone anew, but this Virele is our country's Minister of Commerce,
but he is a person who formerly held the position of Viscount in the Uros
Kingdom. He is knowledgeable about the internal affairs of the Federation.」
Saying
so, Virele bowed to everyone and slowly began to speak.
「Thank you for the opportunity to
speak. Probably, the gift the Holy State refers to is the land and people of
the jointly managed territory. I believe their saying 『sincerity
and gift』 means providing an opportunity for
the Kyle Kingdom to boldly obtain new territory.」
「However... I feel like the story is
taking a leap?」
Yeah,
exactly as Margrave Model says. I myself also can't understand how it
connects to sincerity and a gift.
「I apologize for rushing to the
conclusion. As a preamble to this, as a result of the previous battle, the
countries of the Federation received a part of the former Uros Kingdom
from the Kyle Kingdom as jointly managed territory. That seems to have
become a shackle for them now.」
「In what way?」
「Their behavioral principle is
basically 『profit』.
Each country of the Federation, while terrified of the enemy army bearing down,
is daring not to send soldiers from their home countries and is hoping for
everyone's assistance in defense, are they not?」
Saying
so, Virele stared intently at the Margrave.
「Certainly, yeah. We haven't received
any reports that their reinforcements have entered the jointly managed
territory either.」
「That is right. There seems to be a
stationed army of about a thousand, but that too is a mixed unit of soldiers
contributed by each country. The ones whose sense of crisis is growing the most
are the Eterna Kingdom and the Letonas Kingdom, and messengers
begging for reinforcements come from these two countries almost every day,
but...」
Margrave
Model followed up on Army Commander Hoffman's words. Especially
the Eterna Kingdom, being located next to the Kyle Kingdom's new
territory, must have the most growing sense of crisis. And yet, this.
「I see, is that it! Because the
jointly managed territory was shared among five countries, the 『profit』 doesn't match the 『cost』 of protecting it. Therefore, even
if they wanted to send soldiers from their home countries, they can't get in
step with each other?」
「Exactly as Archduke-heika
says. As the name suggests, the jointly managed territory is where the five
countries jointly hold rights and interests. Conversely, the land is small, and
if considered per country, the 『profit』
obtained would be small.」
Hahaha,
I feel like I can see various things now. Seeing me nod, Virele
continued his explanation.
「To take the trouble to throw
soldiers into land with thin profits, reducing the military strength protecting
their home countries, is out of the question from their perspective. If so,
they will gracefully have another country protect it, and if even that cannot
be achieved, they will cut their losses. Such selfishness and arrogance can be
seen hidden at their root.」
「Tch, are we the Federation's
watchdogs!」
Army
Commander Hoffman unintentionally raised a voice of anger, but it's an
apt expression.
「Therefore they will not move. By
lining up human shields, they are waiting for the Kyle Kingdom army to
move for humanitarian reasons.」
「But, does that connect to the gift
the Holy State speaks of?」
Army
Commander Hoffman said so, but from here on it's a story of high-level
maneuvering between countries. In that sense, we should probably watch the
transition cool-headedly.
「Yes, it is necessary to consider
several stages for that. First, the Kingdom adheres to exclusively defensive
defense, and refuses to dispatch reinforcements citing that as the reason. In
the worst case, hinting at withdrawing from this new territory; I believe that
is also crucial at the negotiation table.」
Hahaha,
if that happens, they will probably panic greatly. Because if the watchdog
disappears, the Holy State army will avalanche into their home countries, and
they will be destroyed one country at a time from the east like falling
dominoes.
「If that happens, they will make the
ultimate choice. To abandon the land with thin 『profits』 so that the Kyle Kingdom becomes a solid wall.
Moreover, if a battle happens, they will profit from procuring supplies and
such.」
Sacrificing
the name for substance (taking the substance over the appearance), huh. Rather
than land that yields only trivial profits, if they place a watchdog to protect
themselves, they can devote themselves to business with peace of mind, judging
that the profit is greater in total. It's something a merchant-led country
would think of.
「Hahaha, even I, who am unrelated to
politics, can understand that. If we leave it as is, the Federation will offer
bait (land) so that we can 『self-defend』,
is that it?」
Yeah,
Army Commander Hoffman's words are the correct answer. The Federation,
cornered by a noncommittal Kingdom, will likely entrust the jointly managed
territory to the Kingdom and induce them to protect it with all their might.
Because if they don't, if we withdraw to the Kingdom territory, they are
definitely checkmated. On the other hand, for the Kingdom, if the jointly
managed territory becomes Kingdom territory, defending it falls within the
scope of exclusively defensive defense, and they will have no choice but to
move. And this flow has a villainous underside. It is that we know the Holy
State will follow the non-aggression pact and won't invade.
「By gaining new territory in that
way, we will become unable to criticize the Holy State, regardless of our
public stance. Because as a result, we will have obtained 『profit』 through the non-aggression pact with them.」
With
this, the 『true intention』
meant by their words became visible. However, there is also a great doubt.
Whether the Holy State truly has the leeway to be this well-versed in the
circumstances of each country and plot such schemes. Originally, since the Istoria
Imperial Kingdom and the Orthodox Theocracy were led by a church detached
from the real world, even if they excelled in individual tactics, strategically
it was all conspiracy-like or short-sighted things. There shouldn't have been a
vessel or a person capable of setting up such a high-level trap.
「Margrave Model, I feel an
unfathomable fear from the man named Harias leading the Holy State.
Please do not let your guard down. It seems they are scrutinizing our
movements.」
「That is right... We have ended up
sharing a border with a difficult enemy.」
「I will also firmly convey this to
King Kyle.」
The
discussion had found a path forward, and it was when the intentions of everyone
present had united. As if waiting for that moment, a report came in.
「Today again, a messenger from the Piette
Merchant Federation has arrived. We conveyed that you are in an important
meeting and made them wait, but is it alright to let them through?」
「Hahaha, they came at a good timing.
Those guys must be getting impatient with the watchdog that won't move at all.」
When
Army Commander Hoffman laughed heartily, everyone present smiled
bitterly. The Federation probably intends to instigate us, but now they are
nothing more than clowns.
「That's right. As befitting merchants,
let's sell our price at a high value. I apologize for asking given the
circumstances, but I would like the Archduke to be present as well...」
With this flow, it can't be helped. Normally, now that the policy is decided and the objective of confirming the situation has been achieved, I was planning to go home quickly. Is this also because of my constitution to get dragged into things? I had no choice but to let out a big sigh and nod. But I'm an observer, you know? Just watching, okay? While telling myself that...