[WN] Jitsuwa 3-Domedatta : Chapter 462


Chapter 462

(Kyle Calendar Year 516: Age 23)

Souvenir and Demand

 

With the unexpected development, all the previous discussions were completely flipped over, but what should I do about the future now? To begin with, if I marry off Karin, I will have to protect not only my own country but also the Kingdom with all my might. Of course, King Kyle and the old raccoon probably brought up the marriage proposal anticipating that, but... However, one thing I reconsidered was that I felt this was not a scheme or anything in this world, but a perfectly natural thing. It was natural in the feudal eras of medieval Europe and Japan, and during the Sengoku period, tragedies such as marrying off a daughter to the enemy or sacrificing that daughter to attack her marital family were common. Is it because I am bound by the common sense of modern Japan? Is it because I am swayed by my affections as a father? I will have to come up with the answer to that myself in the future. After thinking so and letting out a big sigh, I decided to move on to the business I had brought myself this time.

「Now then, from here on, I will speak as the Archduke of the Demon Territory Dukedom, who not only has charge of a country but also prioritizes cooperation with neighboring countries above all else. Please listen prepared for this point.」

I daringly erased my expression here and dropped the tone of my voice one level. No, I might be making a cold-blooded face.

「O-Of course.」

「U-Understood.」

Naturally, the two of them tightened their festive moods and seemed to sense something extraordinary, but I'd be troubled if they didn't.

「Earlier, regarding relations with neighboring countries, I asked about the Kyle Kingdom's resolve, but I will ask King Kyle that again anew. As desired, do you have the corresponding resolve to maintain an equal relationship?」

Saying so, I stared intently into King Kyle's eyes. It seems the King also had no hesitation regarding this question, and he returned my gaze with a straight look.

「I do. Is that not why the Archduke proposed this to me earlier?」

That is certainly true, but until just before, it was still preamble talk. The talk that forces a heavy decision upon the Kingdom becomes the main subject from here on.

「To be honest, the reality is that the four countries excluding the Kyle Kingdom are deepening their coordination and friendship, and are advancing two or three steps ahead, more than you are concerned about. Of course, as the King of the Demon Territory Dukedom, I will act to support the Kyle Kingdom, but whether you can fall into step with the neighboring countries is a different story.」

Here, their expressions changed all at once. Because they realized that while I would act in response to their requests, that was strictly regarding the relationship between the Demon Territory Dukedom and the Kyle Kingdom, and relations with other countries were a separate issue; I had declared as much.

「In order to fall into step, the Kyle Kingdom must newly steer towards becoming a nation that exercises 『collective self-defense』 among allied nations, while firmly maintaining its national policy of 『exclusively defensive defense』.」

There is a huge difference here, but will they notice this? To begin with, a concept like collective self-defense does not exist in this world.

「Umm... what is collective self-defense?」

As expected. Now, how should I explain it...

「First, recall when the Demon Territory Dukedom fought the four-country allied army at the northern border of the Empire. At that time, the Kingdom dispatched reinforcements. I am still grateful for that, but an additional element will be added to that.」

At that time, the Kingdom voluntarily dispatched reinforcements in response to the information I provided. This is a common story among allied nations, but...

「Which is?」

「The first is that the Kingdom army will spontaneously open war and attack the enemy army, as long as it is within the scope of a war defending the Demon Territory Dukedom, even without our request.」

In that battle, the Royal Capital Knights dispatched from the Kingdom were strictly reinforcements, and participated in the war matching pace with the Demon Territory Dukedom army. But when it comes to collective self-defense, it becomes a story that steps even further than that.

「Hmu... in that sense, would you say that Archduke-heika making an expedition far to the southern territory of the Empire and defeating the invading enemy army in various places—that action itself was exercising collective self-defense?」

Yeah, that example makes it easier to convey my true intention. Because in order to rescue the Third Prince faction, we spontaneously opened war at our own discretion as an ally and destroyed the enemy army. Of course, this was against the Sura Principality army and the Turncoat Kingdom army, with whom the Demon Territory Dukedom had no involvement or history of hostility.

「Exactly as the Minister of Foreign Affairs says. So, the second point. The targets for the Kyle Kingdom to protect will become the four countries including the Empire, not just the Demon Territory Dukedom. So to speak, can you dispatch your army without hesitation for the defensive wars of those four countries, and spontaneously open war?」

「Th-That is...」

For the Kingdom up until now, the answer is NO. Precisely because I know that, I am daring to ask them as a 『resolve』.

「The four countries other than the Kyle Kingdom have accepted that. Of course, if the Kyle Kingdom also accepts and joins the circle, if the Kingdom enters a state of war—as a timely example, if the Ist-Harias Holy State invades—the four countries will dispatch armies to repel the Holy State, or independently open war to provide flank support.」

Yes, 『I only want to be protected, but I will not protect the other party』 does not work in this world. If so, it becomes a self-evident truth that it will be 『protect your own country yourself.』

「There is just one thing I wish to confirm with Archduke-heika, but we will not participate in invasion. We cannot break this premise, but even if it is called a defensive war, does it apply if an allied nation invades first, receives a counterattack, and conversely has its national territory violated?」

Hahaha, what a scenario setting typical of the Minister of Foreign Affairs. However, we had already discussed this point on the ship, and the line is clearly drawn.

「No, it does not apply. It is strictly only when the national territory is violated unilaterally. Applying it to the current situation in the north, if the Kyle Kingdom dispatches an army across the national border in response to the Federation's request and enters a state of war with the Imperial Kingdom, even if you are defeated and the Kingdom territory is violated, we will absolutely not interfere.」

In this area, even between countries that have concluded an alliance, we will abandon them as reaping what they sow. As a major premise, our alliance is based on the vow to cease acts of invasion and not commit them.

「Then I wish to ask another thing. Suppose the Imperial Kingdom invades Kyle Kingdom territory; what happens to the act of repelling them and crossing the national border for pursuit?」

「That is recognized, and the armies of the allied nations will likely also cross the national border to pursue. Because otherwise, it becomes 『running away is winning.』 In addition, in that case, it is also recognized for the Demon Territory Dukedom to attack from the south for reinforcements and invade the Imperial Kingdom territory. Because this is also part of assisting the Kingdom army.」

「Then in such a case, if we repel the enemy army and gain new territory through post-war negotiations, what happens then? As a result of gaining another country's territory, will that be considered an invasion?」

「Hahaha, hasn't the answer to that already been given? The Kyle Kingdom's new eastern and northern territories, and to begin with, isn't the Demon Territory Dukedom itself exactly that? And yet the Kyle Kingdom still advocates exclusively defensive defense, does it not?」

「......」

Oh my, did that boomerang stab a little too hard? The old raccoon is unusually silent, but...

「Furthermore, this alliance is not limited to war. The text of the alliance includes items such as economic cooperation, preferential treatment in trade, recognition of various rights and interests, mutual aid during disasters, etc., in addition to security limited to defensive wars.」

Saying so, I showed the two of them the text, and they were both intently looking at the contents, but their gaze stopped at a certain part. Of course, that was because it was a story the two of them had no way of knowing.

「I wish to ask the Archduke. What is this new 『Free Border』? What is the tax-free special zone city to be established there?」

Here, I explained to them.

·         That the Demon Territory Dukedom is developing a highway passing through a new national border as a return favor to the Empire and the Principality.

·         That a city which will be a tax-free special zone will be established there.

·         That the target is limited to the allied nations.

And finally, I explained the schedule for utilizing the city, the intentions of each country, and so on. Of course, including preferential tariffs between allied nations, and benefits and priority matters concerning crossing the national border...

「W-With this, we will be left behind in commercial distribution as well, won't we!」

「I believe you can now understand the meaning of my saying you are 『two or three steps behind.』 Of course, we have no feeling of excluding the Kingdom. To begin with, the basic concept of the plan is a Five-Power Alliance including the Kingdom, not a Four-Power Alliance.」

I think it's natural for the two of them to panic. To begin with, with Clarisse-denka marrying there, they were probably expecting a honeymoon state with the Fearalt Principality. However, if a new national border is developed, commercial distribution between the Principality and the Empire or the Demon Territory Dukedom will become increasingly active, but those transactions will completely bypass the Kingdom side. If that happens, only the Kingdom will be left behind.

「You can also think of it this way. Although it won't be the entire Kingdom, the western frontier of the Kingdom will become even more enriched. Because goods will be distributed using waterways from the Empire to the Principality, and the majority within the Principality. Because goods from the north can be procured faster and cheaper via Salaam.」

If my brother's territory gets enriched by this, it's a huge win for me too.

「We can also participate in the alliance, right? If so, by all means...」

Before King Kyle, who was about to say that, I presented five sets of signing documents already signed by the heads of the four countries. Of course, if the Kyle Kingdom fills it in, everything will be complete. However... there's still one final loyalty test.

「Before having you sign and seal it, there is just one more thing I must convey. As part of concluding the treaty, we will form a multinational force for the tranquility of the allied nations. This is for each country to dispatch an army and station it in a place with potential danger in the future, showing potential enemy nations our unity and our intent to not permit invasion. Will you accept this as well?」

Saying so, I pointed to a map detailing the neighboring countries including the Demon Territory Dukedom, and the planned stationing ground for the multinational force.

「This is strictly for defense and is a military demonstration, but there is no guarantee that a battle absolutely won't occur. However, at the same time, it will show our unity to foreign nations.」

「「......」」

As expected, an immediate answer is difficult in the current situation. Because the Kingdom is currently in the middle of sending the Second and Third Armies out of the three Royal Capital Knights armies, which are its ready-response military strength, to the north and east respectively.

「By the way, I am not saying right now. The place to station hasn't even been built yet, so for the time being, only the three directly involved countries will handle it. However, the King of Fearalt has also clearly stated that he will dispatch an army, and there was a request from Princess Consort Clarisse saying, 『I would definitely like you to reach out to the Kingdom as well,』 so...」

「I see... Clarisse was also worrying about us, wasn't she? Looking ahead to the Kingdom's future...」

Saying so, King Kyle let out a big breath.

「Will you take some time and consider it slowly?」

At these words, King Kyle immediately and grandly shook his head.

「No, after calling it a matter of life and death for the Kingdom myself, if I hesitate here, I will be exasperated by her (Clarisse). Let me sign it right here. Also to show gratitude to the Archduke who took the trouble to prepare a souvenir for us. You took the trouble to prepare and bring it for five countries, didn't you? I also have the responsibility to connect the future of the new Kingdom to the next generation, after all.」

Saying so, King Kyle called for people and began preparations for signing, but since this becomes an agreement among five countries, five sets containing the signatures and seals of the five countries are necessary. Therefore, right now, I have brought all the documents already signed by the four countries and am present here.

◇

After the signing was completed anew, I began to speak from the standpoint of having become an allied nation.

「With this, the Kingdom has also officially become our allied nation. As a member of the allied nations, I am going to ascertain the current situation in the north and east with my own eyes from now on.」

「「!!!」」

No, I don't think it's a story for both of them to be that surprised about, though. I had that intention from the beginning, and it's not like there are no other reasons. The Ist-Harias Holy State shares a border with the Lute-Vile-Cain Kingdom, and it is also close to the territory I entrusted to Margrave Solis (Alexis). Because I am acting not just for the Kingdom, but as a major matter for the Demon Territory Dukedom. Well, whether this is seen as being used conveniently by the Kingdom, or seen as moving taking the initiative myself, that depends on how you look at it. However, I myself am merely moving in the easiest and most reassuring direction.

 -----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56


[Bronze]

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Taylor King

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>