Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 165

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #165

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 Translator(s) note: We're entering volume 8 with this chapter! If you just clicked on this chapter, don't forget to check out the previous translated chapters we updated today too! Happy reading~

 

 Oh, we forgot to mention, there's a bonus chapter before this that you can read on our Patreon. Everyone can read it, so feel free to access it. Here's the link for you: Bonus (164.5) A Taste of Nostalgia

 

 





Volume 8

Episode 165: Empires Tend to Play the Villain in Various Works (1)

 

 


 

 

 

"Senpai, did something happen?"

 

"...It seems humans have invaded Oragashima."

 

 I put my call with Yujin-san on hold to give Anna a brief answer.

 

 Instantly, Anna and Oribe’s expressions grew grim.

 

“I, see... So, the war between humans has finally...” Anna muttered.

 

“This soon… or maybe not.”

 

 I nodded inwardly at Oribe’s remark.

 

 From our perspective, it hadn’t even been two months since Angolmois began… but in areas where time flows faster, several years have likely passed.

 

"Also, during the battle with Gugalanna, some of my cards became Lost...”

 

 They must have suspected this, given that the Dullahan Card Keys themselves were Lost. Though there was no surprise on their faces, they were clearly still shocked—their complexions visibly paled.

 

 Anna timidly asked,

 

"W-well… specifically, which ones? Who?"

 

“Eliza, Yuki, Mea, …and Acedia, the Kimaris.”

 

“But they’re core members!?”

 

 At the names I mentioned, a shriek-like cry escaped Anna’s lips.

 

 Eliza and the others were the core members who had walked alongside me from the very, very beginning.

 

 The fact that they’d all been Lost at once likely made her grasp the abnormality of the situation I’d encountered.

 

“Even considering it was an AoE Absolute Attack… what on earth happened?”

 

 I explained a concise version of what had gone down:

 That Gugalanna’s AoE Absolute Attack was a multiple-shot type, and its cooldown was ridiculously short. That in my haste to end the fight, I used Eliza’s Absolute Attack to deliver the finishing blow, only for Yuki and Mea to be dragged down with Gugalanna too by the Trinity Deity effect...

 

"A repeatable AoE Absolute Attack, combined with a Forced Lost that take others with it…” Anna repeated.

 

“Is this like the legend of Gilgamesh losing his best friend Enkidu…? Are you telling me that when it becomes an A-rank skill, it becomes that absurd?” Oribe seemed appalled.

 

 The two who heard my story groaned, their faces grimacing bitterly.

 

"...Revival items… how many do you have right now?" Anna asked.

 

"Four Phoenix Tail Feathers, one Soul Revival Pill, and one Asclepius's Staff. Since I have a Succubus card for Mea, I can bring everyone back for now."

 

"I... see."

 

 At my answer, Anna heaved a sigh of relief, then asked with a serious expression,

 

“So, how do you plan to proceed from here, Senpai?”

 

"... I can’t turn my back on them. I will go to Oragashima――――"

 

“Please don’t.”

 

 Anna cut me off.

 

 Then, she bowed her head deeply.

 

“Please don’t… I beg you.”

 

 She repeated herself once more.

 

“Anna…”

 

“With your Lost cards, with almost no revival items to spare, and with the enemy’s strength on Oragashima still unknown… going there to provide reinforcements is far too risky.”

 

"……………………"

 

“……I truly hate to say this, but Oragashima isn’t essential to us. Neither Senpai's nor any of our families are there, and it’s not a base we absolutely can’t let go of. It’s just convenient to have. Please, in this case……”

 

 What Anna was saying was right. Oragashima wasn’t indispensable to us as a whole; in fact, given the potential for conflict with other factions, it was even a liability.

 

 Unlike Ikebukuro, no family of mine was on Oragashima, and for Anna, it was likely nothing but an unnecessary risk.

 

“Sorry, even so, I still want to go help them…”

 

“H-…! May I ask, your reason?”

 

 At my reply, Anna looked momentarily shocked, but she quickly regained her composure and asked that.

 

 I hesitated slightly before answering,

 

“Because if I abandon them here, I feel like I'll genuinely stop being human...”

 

 Going to save Oragashima was nothing but high risk and low reward. But I feared that if I judged things solely based on the size of the interests involved, I would drift further and further away from being human.

 

 If I turned my back on them now, I’d lose my moral compass...That's the feeling I had.

 

"...............I understand."

 

 Anna stared at me intently for a while, as if trying to fathom what I was really thinking. Eventually, she nodded with a sigh.

 

 I was internally relieved, thinking that while she might not agree with me, she at least understood. But then...

 

“If you absolutely insist on going, Sayo and I will also be going."

 

“What?”

 

 These utterly unexpected words had me meeting Anna’s gaze.

 

 Looking at her again, I realized she had the face of someone who was cornered.

 

“You’re coming with me...? Then what happens to the school’s defense?”

 

 The only reason I can act freely is because Anna and the others are taking on the duty of protecting the school and our families. I’d be in trouble if they dropped that job. ……I know it was selfish of me, but still.

 

“Then we should take Senpai and Sayo’s families too…”

 

“And abandon everyone else at the school?"

 

“……Then let’s start organizing an evacuation to the island right now.”

 

“There’s no time. I’m sure you know that, don’t you?”

 

 Seeing Anna act like a child throwing a tantrum—which was so unlike her—I spoke to her in a soothing tone.

 

  ……Was the Lost of my cards such a shock to her? Maybe, in Anna’s mind, I had become some kind of invincible being.

 

 I’d defeated even A-rank Irregular Encounters, and even after we were separated, I’d returned safely. I even had Absolute Defense, Pseudo-Safe Zone, and the ability to teleport when needed. She probably thought that if it were me, there was nothing to worry about—that I wouldn’t even suffer card Lost.

 

 But then an enemy that used some nonsensical skill—Forced Lost that dragged others along—appeared, and my cards went Lost. When she found out that the culprit was a subordinate monster, the image of Utamaro Kitagawa she held in her mind must have begun to waver.

 

 He’s not invincible after all, she must have thought.

 

...Can't be helped, I guess.

 

 I sighed inwardly.

 

"Okay then. I'll send only my cards to the island."

 

"Only your cards?"

 

 Anna, who had been looking down, snapped her head up.

 

“Yeah, to be honest, I do want to go myself, but now that enemies with AoE Absolute Attacks have shown up, I’ve started thinking that having the Master tag along would only be a disadvantage. So, except for places like dungeons where I absolutely have to be there, I’ll stay here as much as possible.”

 

 At my words, the two girls nodded, murmuring, "I see..."

 

“I am absolutely in favor of you staying here, Senpai! Let's definitely do that going forward. So, which cards will you send? If you dispatch everyone, wouldn’t it be a problem if, by any chance, they couldn’t return?”

 

 Anna spoke, likely recalling the circumstances that led us to send our clones to Oragashima.

 

 I pulled a single card from my Card Holder and showed it to her,

 

"Don't worry about that. I'll use this."

 

"The Tamatebako?"

 

“Yeah. I just figured this out the other day, but apparently, if I use the Tamatebako while cards are summoned, they get pulled into it no matter how far away they are. And when they exit the Tamatebako, they appear near me instead of where they were originally.”

 

“So, it's like a pseudo-teleportation!”

 

 Oribe exclaimed, her voice brimming with excitement.

 

 I nodded.

 

 This was a trick I’d figured out while pondering inside the Tamatebako—back during the time when Eliza’s Transfer ability had been sealed and I was trying to figure out how to get my cards back to me after I’d started dispatching them to the Ikebukuro area on their own.

 

 Using this would also likely make it possible to bring my cards back to me even if they lose their way due to the dungeon’s Teleporter Traps1, although I hadn’t tried testing it yet.

 

 ...As for why I didn't use it during the battle against Gugalanna? It was simply because there wasn't sufficient time —and because it would have reset the battle, rendering Audrey and the others’ sacrifices meaningless.

 

 From opening the Tamatebako to entering it, the interval was several seconds, and in a battle of cards—especially against an A-rank opponent—that was far too long.

 

“If so, the risk doesn’t seem high. …Well, I wish you’d mentioned it sooner, honestly."

 

 Perhaps ashamed of her earlier childish tantrum, Anna’s cheeks flushed slightly.

 

 With a light laugh and an “Sorry, sorry,” I ended the call hold and called out to Yujin-san,

 

"Yujin-san, are you there?"

 

"Kitagawa! What’s the update?!"

 

 With the sounds of battle serving as background noise, Yujin-san responded immediately.

 

 I told him that, although it would only be a card-only dispatch, I had decided to send reinforcements.

 

"...So, it’s too difficult for you to come yourself, after all?"

 

 After groaning for a few seconds, Yujin-san asked to confirm.

 

“Yeah… I’d really like to go myself, personally."

 

"I understand. I’m grateful just for the reinforcements. But I have one request. If you have a card with a Transformation skill, can you have them transform into you? ...Please."

 

"Ah... I see. Of course.”

 

 It was likely related to the political dynamics on the island. Seeing no reason to refuse, I agreed.

 

 If I have Suzuka transform into me and use Ibaraki-doji’s Authority of Deceit, we shouldn’t be easily exposed. Suzuka’s Spiritual Recurrence would soon wear off, but Pruflas had proven that the effects of the Authority of Deceit would persist even after Spiritual Recurrence ended.

 

 If I activate Synchronization, it would be no different from me speaking myself, and it would essentially be as if I had gone there in person.

 

Oi, about time you revive Eliza and the others and brought us back.

 

Ah, yeah.

 

 Nodding in response to Renge’s telepathic message, I took out Eliza and Yuki’s revival items.

 

 For Mea, I’ll revive her with a Succubus card… As for Acedia’s revival, I’ll have to put that on hold for now.

 

 I do feel bad for her… but with invaders already storming Oragashima, I want to conserve as many revival items as possible in case of unforeseen circumstances.

 

 Of course, as soon as things settle down, bringing her back would be the first on my to-do list.

 

 When I applied the revival items along with the Succubus card to the cards of Eliza, Yuki, and Mea, the gray cards began to regain their color.

 

This makes it the third time for Eliza, the second for Mea, and the first for Yuki, huh?

 

If I hadn’t had that experience with the Hound Master, I might've been as flustered as Anna... Thinking about it that way, I guess that experience has become a part of me.

 

 With that self-deprecating thought, I summoned Eliza and the others.

 

“Master, are you unharmed!?” Eliza asked urgently.

 

“What in the world!?” Yuki exclaimed.

 

“I just suddenly died!?” Mea clamored.

 

 As soon as they appeared, the three girls began shouting all at once. I explained the situation concisely.

 

“…I see, so it's a Forced Lost that also takes others with it. It looks like the [Trinity Deity]’s Life Force Sharing backfired on us.”

 

 Yuki, having heard the story, clicked her tongue in displeasure. That was a rare reaction for her.

 

“Next time we fight Gugalanna, it might be wiser not to share life force with [Trinity Deity].”

 

 However, the [Trinity Deity]'s life force sharing came as a bundle with its summoning slot compression. Summoning each of the three deities individually would create a problem with the limited summoning slots.

 

  Even if I only deactivate the  [Trinity Deity] for the moment we deliver the final blow to Gugalanna, I’ll still need to decide who to summon and who to leave out.

 

 Should I go all-in with the [Trinity Deity], or should I sacrifice summoning slots to prepare for Gugalanna’s attempt to drag us down with him?

 

 I’ll have to think this through before our next battle…

 

"Well, let's put that aside for now. Eliza, go pick up Renka and the others in Ikebukuro."

 

“Yes, Master.”

 

 After having Eliza retrieve Renge and the others, I had Suzuka transform into me, then sent the cards straight to Oragashima.

 

“…Good. It looks like there hasn’t been any damage to the city yet."

 

 Synchronized with Suzuka, I muttered to myself as I gazed down at the cityscape from the hilltop where the city hall stood.

 

 The modern cityscape, which had now become as precious as a cultural heritage site, showed no obvious damage.

 

 However, the streets were deserted, and the sounds of battle echoed from the direction of the stairs.

 

 It seemed they had successfully established a defensive line near the stairs.

 

 They had mentioned that a suspicious figure had come to scout the area, so Yujin-san and everyone else must have been on the lookout for an attack.

 

“Now, let's meet up with Yujin-san first. Eliza.”

 

“Yes, Master.”

 

 We climbed into the magic carriage Eliza had summoned as Selene and dashed to the battlefield from the sky, where countless monsters were locked in chaotic combat.

 

...This is tough. With all this chaos, I can't tell who's friend or foe.

 

 I could tell which side each Master belonged to. Those wearing relatively neat, modern-style clothing were on the islanders' side. The enemies were the ones with their backs to the stairs, clad in leather armor like medieval soldiers.

 

 The problem was the monsters. At a glance, I couldn’t tell which card belonged to which Master.

 

I guess I’ll ask Yujin-san for instructions for now.

 

 With that in mind, I scanned the islanders and spotted a dapper man with a goatee shouting orders at the top of his lungs.

 

“Yujin-san!”

 

“Oh!? Kitagawa! …Is that you!? Don’t you look a bit younger!?”

 

 Yujin-san looked this way and broke into a smile immediately, but then his face turned to one of puzzlement.

 

Ah— right. When I sent out my cloned version, I’d sent it out in my older form…

 

Well, whatever.

 

“I managed to turn back the clock somehow! More importantly, what’s the situation?”

 

“O-Oh. For now, thanks to Hephaestus’s power, we’ve managed to hold them off. But the enemy has several B-ranks on their side—it's tough! Can you do something about them?"

 

 I scanned the battlefield once more. From a quick look, I didn't sense any presence that exceeded the boundaries of B-rank, like Ose. Since Yujin-san and everyone here still managed to hold their ground, I’d say the enemy’s strongest combatants were likely just standard B-rank level at best.

 

"In terms of force, I think we can handle it. It's just... I don't know which cards are on our side..."

 

“Hmm, is that so… Is it possible to target the enemy Masters directly? I’ll tell our people not to attack your cards, so you can counterattack any cards that come at you, Kitagawa.”

 

“I see. Got it.”

 

 I nodded and issued orders to my cards.

 

First, let’s get the Trinity of Moon Goddesses to thin out the enemy a bit... Wait, has Mea’s Spiritual Recurrence charged up yet? She just got revived...

 

Mea, did reviving you also recharge your Spiritual Recurrence?

 

Mmm, nope. Looks like reviving doesn’t restore the energy for Spiritual Recurrence.

 

It seems the skill count doesn't recover either, Master, Yuki added.

 

I see...

 

 Hearing their reports, I hung my head in slight disappointment..

 

Well, can't be helped. In that case, we’ll go with a straightforward approach. Against enemies of this caliber, we should be able to handle them even without the Subordinate Sealing.

 

 I had Prima summon Persephone to deploy the Legion Summoning. As the army of Sirens and Harpies ballooned in an instant, drawing the attention of the entire battlefield with gasps of “What's going on?!”, I activated the Celtic Trinity Deities' [Feast of Destruction, Slaughter, and Victory]. Then, as the finishing touch, I topped it off with Athena's Aegis for Absolute Defense.

 

 And just like that, an effortlessly invincible army with combat power exceeding 3,000 was complete.

 

 At this point, the opposing side must have realized these were enemy reinforcements. Attacks rained down on my subordinates, but the shield of Absolute Defense let nothing through. If anything, it just made it easier to tell who our enemy was.

 

 While ruthlessly eliminating any attacking opponents, the Harpy army marched straight toward the enemy Masters.

 

 Enemy cards went Lost one after another under direct attacks. The enemy horde melted away almost comically.

 

...Yeah, that’s right. This is the true power of my cards. It’s just that the A-ranks and Gatekeepers, who use things like Subordinate Sealing and Absolute Attacks as if they were commonplace, are the ones who are strange.

 

 I was lost in thought, watching the enemies melt away like hot butter, when I suddenly felt gazes fixed on me.

 

 When I looked over, I saw Yujin-san and islanders staring at me with dread in their eyes.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“N-no… I just thought… you look so reliable. Really.”

 

 Yujin-san said this, beads of cold sweat forming on his forehead.

 

Did they get scared seeing the enemies they’d been fighting so desperately get wiped out so helplessly?

 

If I were to say, “Actually, my cards had just been Lost a moment ago,” I wonder what kind of face they’d make?

 

 With a self-deprecating laugh, I asked,

 

“By the way, what about the dungeon Bosses on this island?”

 

"Those guys, huh..."

 

 Yujin-san's expression suddenly turned bitter at my question.

 

“We asked those dungeon Bosses for reinforcements, but they refused. They said it was not part of the contract. Even the amicable ones stated they had no intention of getting involved in a conflict between humans.”

 

……Hmm. Well, I mean, it really is outside the contract, and I can’t say I don’t understand their stance of not getting involved in disputes between humans, but…

 

“……In a situation like this, anyone who’s neither friend nor foe isn’t worth keeping around.”

 

 I muttered it under my breath.

 

Those who refuse under the pretext of it being outside their contract are nothing but potential risks. Even the 'friendly' ones who claim they wish to avoid getting involved in a dispute between humans—they probably consider themselves allies of the human race as a whole, but put another way, that’s tantamount to saying, “I don’t care who the inhabitants of this island are.”

 

Then again, it's the same for us. If they're not outright allies, then who the dungeon Bosses are doesn't matter a bit to us humans either.

 

Now that I’ve returned to the island, the momentum has shifted back to us humans. The dungeon Bosses will need to understand that soon enough.

 

Master, we’ve finished dealing with the enemies. Not a single one escaped.

 

 Just then, I received a report from Prima.

 

 Sharing her field of vision, I could see the enemy Masters bound tightly by magic ropes.

 

She captured them all? That’s Prima for you. I don’t want to give them any information about us, after all.

 

“It seems we’ve captured all the enemies. Let’s ask them a few questions.”

 

“Alright.”

 

 Together with Yujin-san, I approached the man who appeared to be the enemy’s leader.

 

 The man was clad in armor slightly more impressive than the others’.

 

 Age-wise, maybe around thirty? Unlike the others, who were grimy and smelled a bit, his hair was neat and he was well-groomed.

 

 The man, bound by glowing magic ropes, glared at me and widened his eyes.

 

“You’re… Kitagawa!”

 

“Hm?”

 

Does he know me?

 

 It didn’t feel like he recognized me from TV. This was clearly the reaction of someone who had met me in person.

 

“Tch, you don’t remember me, do you?”

 

 Seeing my reaction, the man’s expression contorted in a self-deprecating grimace as he spat,

 

"...I’m Saito. We fought in a MonColo match a long time ago."

 

***

 Notes:

Reminder:  A trap that sends you to some place in the dungeon completely at random.  If that is all, you may think it is not much of a threat when you have a transfer-type magic item, but the trouble with this trap is that it will separate you from the card you are summoning at the time.  Since each floor in the dungeon is basically independent of the next, you won’t be able to reach the next floor by digging the ground. If the Master and the summoned card get separated by even a floor, the card will go into a sleep state.

 

Translator(s) note: Here’s where you can buy the Author’s books:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/stores/author/B075TBZ2QF/allbooks?ingress=0&visitId=e78c100a-ced9-4562-a21a-36e8a17339e5&ref_=ap_rdr

 

 


[ANNOUNCEMENT]

We decided to have a GOAL starting now:

IF WE EARN $225/month for AT LEAST 3 MONTHS STRAIGHT from Patreon membership, WE WILL ADD ANOTHER ADVANCED CHAPTER ON EACH TIER on our Patreon!

The advanced chapters are based on the original schedule, and we make sure we stick to it on Patreon, so you might get MORE than that! Please check our Patreon!

We set the “earning visibility” public so you can always see it.

More people joining means more advanced chapters for you Patreon members!

 



Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Please help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon!

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)