Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Dragon Chain Ori : Ch 3 Part 5

Chapter 3 Part 5


Translator : PolterGlast

Proofreader : John4891


Nozomu's POV

 

Invited by Irisdina-san, she and I walked together in another section of the commercial district. Many stores lined the street, and an aroma was beginning to drift from here and there because of each store’s dinner preparations soon. I could see some people on their way home, perhaps after finishing their day's work.

I had no knowledge about the commercial district since I’d been devoted to training so far, but Irisdina-san, who was a young lady of a famous family, walked very swiftly.

 

"E-Erm, you're moving ahead without hesitation. Does Irisdina-san often come to this area?"

 

I asked Irisdina-san, but my voice had become stiff, probably because I was strangely nervous.

It couldn’t be helped. I never would’ve imagined the black-haired princess inviting me to go on a date with her.

 

"Yeah, sometimes I go out to commercial areas and civic areas with Somia. Actually, I've never been to this area, so I'm really looking forward to it."

"Hee........."

 

I was a little surprised. Since Arcazam was a city that each country attached great importance to, the number of military police patrolling the area was large and the security was quite good; however, that was not absolute. There were some unsafe places in commercial areas where many people from outside the city gathered, and I never would’ve thought that people who were related to government officials and aristocrats would come here very often.

 

"It's true that commercial areas aren’t always safe, but there are many items and services that come from all over the continent. Sometimes, Somia and I discover things we’ve never seen, and I like to go around those places."

 

At school, she had always been a model honor student, like a sharpened knight's sword. At least no one had the image of her innocently parading through the commercial district.

 

"...It's a little surprising. When you were at school, no one would’ve had the thought you’d come to such a messy place."

"Isn't it exciting to explore places you’ve never seen before? Well, some people in my household are noisy, and I'm just too stiff myself. I'll just get suffocated if I stay there."

 

Irisdina happily and innocently smiled. Looking at that smile, my cheeks also loosened.

 

"And also, I know how to protect myself." 

 

When Irisdina-san said so, she tapped the handle of the rapier on her waist with a triumphant face. Well, she was one of the highest-ranked students in the school, and her A rank status wasn’t just for show. Nozomu also got a glimpse of her ability in the battle with Rugato. At that time, there was a tremendous difference in strength between her opponent and her, so she was defeated; however, if it was the average opponent, she would never be defeated. It wasn’t often that you’d meet thugs in a safe city with public order.

 

"Alright, let's go"

 

She started walking again after saying that. I hurriedly chased after her. 

 

 

The commercial district was a place that accepted many people from outside the city, such as travelers, and various merchants that bought goods from other cities and sold their products here. There were many stalls here and there. Little children and lovers were walking around on the paved cobblestones.

 

"As I thought, there are various stores here...Is that a candy seller?"

 

Irisdina-san found a stall selling a variety of candy crafts. On the shelves and desks, there were not only animals such as birds, rabbits, and cows, but also figures such as travelers, dancers, intimate lovers, and more that were made with colorful candy. There were many children around the store which probably lived near the area.

At the back of the store, an uncle with a wide physique, who was probably the owner of the store, was making a new candy craft, and the sweet smell of melting sugar had enveloped the store.

 

"Hey, hey, next time make a knight's candy for me!"

"Eeh! It's my turn next! Hey uncle, I want a princess!"

 

The children were making a lot of noise and trying to get the shopkeeper to make their own candy.

 

"Please be patient. I'll make it without rushing."

 

The children around him were rushing and said "quickly", perhaps because they couldn't wait, and the owner of the store was struggling to make candy with the children.

At that moment, our eyes met suddenly met. 

 

"Aah, you guys! Give me a moment please?"

 

When the shopkeeper suddenly stood up, he pushed his way through the children and came here.

 

"Hey, can you help me a little? I can’t take care of all these kids by myself. There are just too many children. It's okay if you help even for a moment. Of course, I'll return the favor. Can you please help me?"

"We’d be willing to help right? It looks like the children here are about the same age as Somia, so there is no problem. What about you, Nozomu-kun?"

"It's okay. I've never made candy myself, but I can cook, so I think I can help."

"Alright! I’m sorry for the trouble, but I'll ask for your help."

 

The shopkeeper guided me into the stall, and Irisdina-san headed toward the children. I wasn’t sure how to, so crafting candy would be a new experience. I was a little worried, but it was a great opportunity. Let's do it anyway.

 

========================================== 

  

Iris' POV

 

Now, I’m surrounded by children. When I asked if they would like to talk because it still took time to make the candy, the children suddenly got into it.

 

"Heey, heey, Onēsan. Is Onēsan a student at that big school?"

 

The children started listening to me since I was a student at Solminati. The beautiful school uniforms based on white were quite noticeable. If they lived in this city, it would be impossible to be unaware of Solminati Academy. Children might’ve seen Sominati students many times throughout their day. As soon as they realized I was a student, the color of their eyes changed.

 

"Aah, that's right. I am indeed a student there."

"Amazing! That's the school for becoming a knight right!? Then, will you become a knight in the future? You're so lucky, I want to go too!"

 

One boy was amazed, saying "amazing, amazing", and the eyes of the other children were shining like the boy’s. Perhaps the Solminati Academy was a place for children to admire.

Children were about the same age as Somia. They, looking with the same pure and innocent eyes as my sister, made me very happy.

It qa true that many of the graduates of the school had been summoned to various countries and had held various important positions. In addition, the countries of the continent had established this school and provided a large amount of support to develop such advanced human resources.

A knight was one position that served the country, and some travelled down that path. It was incorrect that the children thought students of Solminati Academy meant knighthood, but in a sense, it also wasn’t entirely wrong.

 

"I see, then why do you want to be a knight?"

"I want to be strong!! Get stronger, defeat the bad guys, and protect everyone!"

 

The boy answered my question without hesitation. His eyes were shining.

 

"I see. It's good to have a goal, but you have to do a lot to reach your goal."

"Yup. That's why, when I grow up, I'll go to Onēchan's school!"

 

I listened to each child's future aspirations. All the children happily talked about their dreams.

 

“I want to be a knight”

“I want to be an adventurer”

“I want to be a candy shopkeeper”

"I want to make a lot of beautiful clothes"

 

The children who told me their story were all full of dreams, and I was strangely happy listening to them, and it was as if they were sharing their strengths.

 

(Yes, I want to protect many people, including Somia, and above all........I want to continue to be Somia's goal) 

 

That's my goal and the reason I keep going. Somia was never held in her mother's arms. I tried to be her mother, replacing her deceased mother, and above all, I wanted to be a sister she could be proud of.

For that reason, I was able to endure and devote myself to harsh training.

 

Suddenly, Nozomu-kun, who was making candy in the street stall, caught my eye. What was his reason to fight? What kept him going even after his Ability Suppression stopped him from getting stronger?

And the rumor with Lisa that appeared during the 1st year, and how did he end up in his current state?

I only met him a few weeks ago. He and I didn't have enough time to get to know each other.

 

=============================================== 

 

 

Nozomu's POV

 

While Irisdina-san was dealing with the children, I helped the shopkeeper make candy and put the candy in the bowl on the fire to melt the candy.

 

I never made sweets such as candies before. I lived alone, cooked for myself at Shishō's place, and cooked simple meals in the forest; however, I was limited to only cooking when a safe place could be secured in the demon filled forest.

 

All I did was put a fixed amount of syrup and ingredients such as sugar in a bowl, stirred it, and heated them to boil. The shopkeeper looked at the stickiness and color of the candy that I boiled, took out the candy from the bowl at the right time, used a wooden stick, and quickly processed it with his familiar hand. There was no momentary stagnation in his hand, and in a blink of an eye, a candy craft of a princess and a knight was made.

By the way, I also tried to make one, but I couldn't handle the soft and dripping candy with a wooden stick, and it became messy.

 

"...It's amazing handiwork........."

"Well, I've been a candy shopkeeper for a long time. I'm used to it."

 

I wasn’t sure about candy craft, but I felt that his technique of skillfully making various things into candy craft was impressive. In fact, the candy I made wasn't a craft, it was clearly an object of avant-garde art that went too far.

 

"Ermm, why are you running a candy store?"

 

I was wondering why he had perfected his candy-craft skills to such extremes. Candy craft obviously needed lots of effort, and the price wasn’t high compared to the trouble. The effort he put in wasn’t worth the little pay...

 

"Originally, I loved to eat rather than make. I bought various candies and compared them. Of those, I wasn't satisfied with just eating them. I started making various candies myself. I was surprised to see the candy I made, and I was happy to see everyone's smile when they ate the candy. So before I knew it......I was running a candy shop. The rest, as they say, is history."

 

The shopkeeper didn’t stop working when he spoke. The softened candy swelled as if it were alive in the hands of the shopkeeper.

 

"But as I thought, it's the most fun when I'm making candy. Sometimes it's not very profitable, and sometimes it's painful, but it's fun, so it doesn't bother me at all. I want to do this job all my life."

 

The shopkeeper's face was lively while making delicate works with candy. It looked like he really likes candy. It was a smile only for those who were doing what they really loved.

 

"What I want to do.........a dream, is it?..."

 

A dream I had before. A dream that I had lost and turned my back on.

I was a little jealous of the shopkeeper who could talk about his dreams like that.

 

"Hoi, It's done. Please don't fight, just eat peacefully"

"Waa~a~a !!"

"Amazing! It looks just like in the picture book princess and knight!!"

 

Children flocked towards the tasty treats. It looked like ants swarming sugar. Not only Irisdina-san and the candy shopkeeper, but also the people passing by naturally smiled at the appearance of children chewing on the candy with smiles.

Looking at them made me feel a little more energetic. A scene that I never saw when I was alone. Before I knew it, I was also naturally smiling.

 



Support Me