Saturday, July 17, 2021

Dragon Chain Ori : Ch 4 Part 19

Chapter 4 Part 19


Translator : PolterGlast

Proofreader : John4891


"That idiot!!"

 

Nozomu was now running through the forest with all his might. When he saw the letter left by Shīna, he immediately knew that Shīna had left to fight with the demon beast.

Upon realizing that, Nozom told the stunned Mimuru to quickly get out of the forest and ask for help. Then he went after Shīna and ran into the depths of the forest.

 

"What are you thinking?! You're the one who told me not to do something so reckless!!"

 

Nozomu could only curse Shīna under his breath, but inside, he understood her feelings.

She might not have been able to leave the demon beast alone. Nozomu didn't know the reason, but he knew it came from an unforgettable event that she wanted to forget.

At the same time, she probably didn't want to involve Mimuru and Tom. If she told them the reason, then Mimuru and Tom would help her. Nozomu had a few conversations with Mimuru, so he knew they wouldn't leave Shīna, who was being cornered, alone

 

Shīna couldn't ignore the hated Nozomu being bullied at school. She somehow treated Nozomu, who injured himself.

Nozomu realized that she was a very nice girl by nature, even though she said such rude things to him.

 

Since she was that kind of girl, she was happy that Mimuru and Tom were beside her, but at the same time, she would have thought they might have been killed by the demon beast. Because of this, she couldn't tell them about her past.

 

(Damn, how troublesome. It's hard to understand!)

 

Shīna was kind, but she could only scold others. A girl, who was desperately trying to become stronger, even though she was weak.

 

(... Isn't she the same as me?)

 

Shīna couldn't tell Mimuru and Tom because she was afraid of involving them in the fight with the black demon beast. Nozomu also couldn't tell Irisdina and the others his secrets because of his fear of the power residing within him. The two were, in fact, very similar in this aspect. That was why Nozomu had no choice but to worry about Shīna. He couldn't help but worry about her safety.

If she intended to fight that monster, she might’ve headed to the place where they met the monster yesterday.

Considering the time she left, there was no time to wasted.

 

"Damn! I need to make it in time!!"

 

In any case, going to her should’ve taken priority and Nozomu hastened his feet. He was frustrated since he’d already reached his maximum speed

 

================================== 

 

 ShÄ«na’s POV

 

 

 

"It's here ..."

 

I arrived at the place where I encountered the demon beast yesterday.

My purpose was to settle the score against that demon beast.

The black demon beast that caused the loss of my hometown and the loss of my family.

It was a different existence from what I saw in my hometown, but still, I couldn't leave that existence in the world.

 

"Fuu, fuu, fuu ..."

 

My breathing naturally becomes rough. My heart was beating violently and cold sweat was flowing on my back.

 

(It's okay. It's not that there is no way to defeat it, so it's okay, it's okay ...)

 

While telling myself that, I released my magical power and spread it around.

The spirits, who responded to the diffused magical power, gathered, and particles of light began to dance around me. I started talking to the spirits who had just gathered.

 

(Everyone, please answer my call. That black, filthy beast. Lend me your strength to defeat it)

 

[Spirit Contract]

It was magic for contracting spirits. Temporarily signing a contract with spirits on the spot allowed you to use spirit magic, which could only be used by spirit species.

It was possible to use powerful spirit magic, but using such magic required extremely high compatibility with spirits. In addition, the time required to set up the contract depended on the spirit itself. Lastly, the time required for a contract couldn’t be unequivocally stated.

Spirit Contract was originally classified as magic, but it could only be used by elves, who were far more compatible with spirits by nature than other species. Careful preparation was required for other races to succeed in using this magic.

Therefore, this magic was almost treated as an elves' exclusive skill.

 

I desperately tried to summon the spirits that had gathered around me, but the spirits just circled around me and didn't answer my call. 

 

(Why!? Why aren't you guys answering me!?)

 

The spirits didn't listen to my call, making me impatient. I desperately try to calm my heart, but some impatience would snowball further impatience. The flow of magical power that was released became sloppy. The distance between the spirits, who looked at me from a long distance, became farther and farther, which fueled my impatience even more.

 

Back when I lived with everyone in that forest, the spirits answered me normally if I spoke to them.

The spirits played with my elf friends, ate snacks together in the trees, and slept together.

But since that time 10 years ago, I could barely make a contract with the spirits.

I could feel the presence of the spirits, and even though contracts had been made several times, I couldn’t really communicate with them.

Because of that, I had no choice but to improve my own abilities until now. This was different though. This time, I’d need to use spirit power to overcome the demon beast.

 

(Please! I don't want to see Mimuru and the others risk their lives! Therefore, please help me, everyone!!)

 

Mimuru and Tom.

In particular, I had conflicts with Mimuru many times. I always said what I wanted to say. Most of them were complaints about Mimuru's bad behavior... but at that time, I was able to forget the tragedy 10 years ago.

 

Tom always calmed us down whenever we were fighting. He calmed Mimuru who was angry with me. I provoked her, and Mimuru got angry again ...

Before I knew it, I, who had lost my family and on edge, was able to laugh again.

 

And he, Nozomu Bountis.

When I only knew him from rumors, I thought he was a terrible person.

Since he was dating Lisa, I thought he was good at deceiving women. When the rumors about him and Irisdina circulated, and when he was surrounded by other male students behind the school building, I didn't even sympathize with him.

The next time I met him was in the city at night. He walked with a tottering gait and a body covered in blood.

I heard his story. It seemed he did something reckless by entering the forest alone. Moreover, the next day, he ignored my warning and went into the forest alone again.

His reckless and suicidal actions reminded me of my family who protected me, and my evaluation of him, which had originally hit rock bottom, pierced the bottom and reached the deep into the abyss.

 

Nevertheless…….

 

*rustle...*

 

"Kku!!"

 

The atmosphere changed completely. Suddenly, the surroundings were filled with corrupted presence, and the spirits that were around me scattered.

It was a presence that I knew very well and would never forget. As I followed that presence, there was something at the end of the area, staring at me.

 

"Grrrrrrrrrrr ..." 

 

The black demon beast was there as a wolf. Bloody red twin eyes shot through me. My hands trembled naturally. I couldn’t feel my own feet. I bit my lips tightly, took out a few arrows from the quiver, and placed them on the bow.

I couldn’t afford to have a spirit contract anymore. Just one chance. Before the black beast closed the distance, I had to use all the strength I had to defeat it.

I pulled the string with all my might and the bow made a grinding sound until the last minute. The bowstring was pulled to its limit. A half-assed arrow could not pierce its tough skin.

 

"GAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!"

 

It rushed towards me. The moment I finished pulling the bowstring, I shot the nocked arrow.

*Swish!*

The arrow that cut through the air and flew with such a sound, pierced the demon beast's forehead without missing its target.

The demon beast screamed and staggered, but my arrow only slightly suppressed the demon beast's charge, and it immediately regained its momentum.

 

It was impossible to inflict fatal injuries on this demon beast with ordinary arrows. If so ...

 

I nocked the arrow again, pulled the bowstring, and this time I sent magic power into the arrow and cast a spell at the same time.

The arrow was filled with magical power and began to emit a dazzling light. This was a deadly arrow that could definitely kill if it was an ordinary monster, but it had been proven that this arrow could not deliver the decisive blow by firing it directly at this demon beast.

 

That's why I prepared another spell in a way that the demon beast wouldn't notice. It was a magic that stood no chance against this demon beast, but it was enough for now!

 

The demon beast that charged towards me with an earth-shattering force opened its jaw. Its head to neck split vertically, exposing a huge mouth with countless fangs.

The demon beast was approaching me, but I hadn't shot the arrow yet. I desperately suppressed my line of sight that seemed to be distracted by fear. Due to the pain of biting my own lip, it kept the muscles of my body awake which were likely to harden.

 

"GAGYAAAAAAAAAAA!!"

 

As its jaws tried to catch and bite me, I used all my strength to jump back and cast the magic I had prepared.

The next moment, countless spears made of stones protruded from where I was standing. Countless stone spears were sticking out, hitting the jaws of the demon beast that tried to chew me; however, the stone spear originally wasn’t that durable. Immediately, countless cracks appeared and the spears began to crumble.

 

"How about this?!" 

 

That still wasn’t enough. I aimed at the demon beast's mouth through the gap between the stone spears and fired the nocked arrow.

The arrow shot was sucked into its mouth, and the blast of magical power raged inside the demon beast's mouth.

However, the raging blast at such a close range also hit me.

 

"Kyaaaa!!"

 

I was blown away by the blast and struck the ground. Although I didn't experience the shockwave because I was jumping back in time, my whole body ached because I struck the ground.

 

"!!"

 

I immediately stood up with pain in my body and checked the demon beast's condition.

 

"GEHE~E! GUGYAU!!"

 

As expected, the inside of its mouth wasn’t as strong as the outer skin. Some fangs inside its mouth were broken, and it was shaking its head while spitting blood.

 

"!! GAHYAAU!!"

 

However, I still couldn't defeat it. The myriad red eyes of the demon beast glared at me while shining red with anger, and the demon beast rushed towards me once again.

Unfortunately, I couldn't move properly due to the pain of hitting the ground. My fingertips trembled, and my hands didn't have the strength to hold the bow.

 

(... So, it's not good enough...) 

 

In the face of inevitable death, I exhaled once and for all.

I quickly lost all of my strength.

Facing my end, I remember that I had many regrets.

I wasted the hopes of my parents and sister who risked their lives and let me run away. I couldn't take my hometown back. Yesterday, that man took responsibility for me and let me escape.

I didn’t know...whether it was because my death was imminent or not, but the approaching beast looked slow.

 

(Ahh right, I apologize to you guys too…)

 

Behind the approaching demon beast, I could see the spirits gathered under the spirit contract. The flickering lights vibrated irregularly and looked like they were frightened.

 

(...Ah I see. They’re just like me. They're scared.)

 

I just realized it now. All the spirits were afraid of that demon beast. That was why I couldn't make a contract with the spirits just by communicating my intentions one-sidedly.

That was it. If I gave an order without considering the feelings of the spirits, there was no way they would cooperate in the truest sense. Even more so if it was an order to "fight" against someone they feared.

 

(A ha ha ... I'm so stupid. Why didn't I notice it earlier) 

 

When I was in Foskia Forest, all spirits were my friends. No, I still thought so until now. Therefore, I had to face it properly because I wasn’t the only one. We should’ve faced each other and become partners.

But it was all too late. My death was already imminent and the black demon beast was about to eat me with its huge jaw.

The bright red flesh and bloody fangs were reflected in front of me, and just as the mouth was about to close...

 

"Uoooooooooooooooo!!!"

 

A shadow of something cut in between me and the demon beast. 

 

Support Me