Sunday, April 3, 2022

Of All Things, I Became a Crow: Chapter #06

 

Of All Things, I Became a Crow: Chapter #06

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

*Rainelle’s POV

No! Such a handsome guy shouldn't have a goal like that!

"Put your sword back."

The man put his sword in without hesitation. Is he Karmeut's loyal knight?

That popped up in my mind, but regardless of my thought-of course-the conversation continued.

"Your Highness..."

"It's not your fault. When I went hunting, you were away on a mission from the Emperor. So it's okay. I can be satisfied just by you not being Luwellin's man."

At those words, a glint of emotion flashed in the eyes of the man presumed to be a knight.

Karmeut continued while stroking my back gently.

"Windster del Galenos."

"Yes, Your Highness."

"I ask you. Do you intend to be my sword and stay by my side?"

It was an atmosphere that I had never felt before.

--is this the kind of atmosphere that can be created by someone whose standing is at the top?

The atmosphere, which can only be explained with the word 'overwhelming', seemed to have affected Galenos much greater than it was to me. Because the man was looking at Karmeut with a determined expression on his face, then he answered in a low but powerful voice.

"I will protect you as your sword and shield. -Even until my death."

"Even if I hadn't awakened to the power of the royal blood?"

"Of course."

It was short, and while it was hard to explain one's allegiance and unwavering heart, Galenos said them in a resolute voice and looked with unfaltering eyes at Karmeut.

I might be the only one who thought that way, but his appearance was rather straightforward.

Karmeut looked at Galenos for a while.

I couldn't tell what he was thinking because his expression didn't change, but the situation didn't seem that bad.

Soon after, he nodded with a satisfied smile.

"Your loyalty has always been consistent. Thank you for following me in such a kingdom."

"Please don't say that."

...Ah! I remember!

There was a knight among the target characters!!

He was so serious and oppressive at first, but he was popular because when you advance, he will show his puppy side!!

Of course, since it was a female-oriented game, there was no unpopular character. But he was a well-known character in his own way. That's him!

My memory was hazy, so I only remembered the character's name and surname, but seeing it like this gave me a new feeling.

Oh, but why would Karmeut hide the fact that he has awakened?

In my hazy memory, Galenos was very loyal to the emperor-Karmeut, and someone who never goes against him.

I'm curious, but it wasn't like I could ask, so I just watched.

...Sob, if I'm a human, I would have asked!

I sighed in regret. The conversation was almost over.

Oh, yeah. What's the point of worrying about this? I'm already a crow.

...Fxck. If there's a real god, I want to stab him with a sword in the stomach!

"Oh, one more. Bring a healer."

"A...healer?" Are you hurt..."

"It's not me."

I tilted my head as he stroked my back with his hand.

Huh? Me? Oh? Can you heal me with divine power? Really? I can see a healer?

My feathers puffed up in anticipation.

....but unlike me, Galenos didn't seem to like that idea very much. He frowned awkwardly and said,

"Are you going to treat that crow...?"

He didn't say any extra words, but one could tell from his expression that he was saying: 'Why treating such an ominous animal?'

Sigh... I can't say anything because it's true.

Crows are unlucky animals that compete with black cats for the number one place title for it, and even in modern times, the perception of crows is not so good because they eat corpses and eyeballs.

Although I understood, I couldn't help the welling-up tears in my eyes.

As I drooped my wings and made a small cry, golden eyes fell their sight on me.

As if to soothe me and told me not to make such a face, Karmeut gently stroked my cheek and tickled my chin

I felt better because my eyes were delighted by the gentle smile.

"I know what you're thinking... But without Rainelle, I wouldn't be where I am today. If it hadn't been for it, I would have been in orcs' stomachs by now."

Oh, you're talking about the orcs chasing you on the first day we met. Didn't I do a good job luring them away? Hmph!

I held my shoulders high, feeling proud by his saying that it was thanks to me.

I heard a small chuckle and laugh followed by a hand stroking my head.

I'm lovely, right? So don't throw me away, okay? If I'm abandoned, with my injured like this, I'll go to the underworld!

For a moment, I forgot that I had been forced by him to eat earlier, now that I remember, I smacked away Karmeut's hand with my head.

As I watched Galenos' eyes widening slightly, I wondered if my actions were surprising, so I deliberately rubbed my head and made a cute cry, then I could see his pupils shaking, perhaps confused.

Come on. This is your first time seeing a crow act cute?

I wonder if I'm completely tactless, but he seemed to realize that my existence wasn't a trivial thing for Karmeut.

"---Then I'll bring the healer."

Karmeut, who responded with a small nod, did not watch Galenos leave his seat until he exited the room.

Rather, he whispered to me while carefully stroking my injured wing as I sit on his arm.

"You'll be better in a little while. Be patient."

--Oh, really. You're talking to me so sweetly? I feel like I'm going to die of excitement!

Thank you very much for spewing out pheromones that work even with birds! It's hard on my heart, but please keep smiling like that!!

If I were a human, I'm sure my face would've looked silly. Fortunately or unfortunately, I'm a crow, so he couldn't see such ugliness.

--no, if I'm a human being, I would have given him a surprise kiss! OMG!! Really, why am I a crow?!!

I looked at Karmeut, despairing once again that I'm not a human.

I felt like I was going to lose my breath, but I tried to pull myself together.

No, let's think positively! Since I'm an animal, I'm free to do physical skinship!

I grabbed the hem of his robe with my beak. Receiving Karmeut's gaze that was full of wonder, I began to climb his arm with my beak and feet while cawing occasionally.

This is kind of hard. Crow's feet are not suitable for grabbing on something.

Nevertheless, I was able to achieve my purpose.

Yes! I successfully climb to his shoulder!

Feeling proud, I held up my shoulders for a bit, then I touched Karmeut's cheek with my head.

Wow, it's so soft. It's warm and smells good. Oh, my.

Is it because he's royalty? Anyway, I feel happy!

Karmeut, who had been sitting there blankly for a moment, smiled softly and wrapped his arms around me.

His hands were really big.

Oh my god.

I stayed still because I was feeling great. I feel like I'm being hugged, and I felt better.

While I'm still not moving, I heard a burst of small laughter.

I sat still and enjoyed the stroke on my feathers, then there was a knock on the door.

"Excuse me, Your Highness."

The person who came in was a woman in a maid's outfit.

Wow, a maid! A maid! It's kind of cool to see something like this in real life!

I stared at the maid, and the maid frowned slightly when her eyes caught mine.

Ah--? If you make eye contact with a crow, something unfortunate happens. Is there such superstition here?

It's not a very pleasant feeling, but it was not like I can't understand, so I just let it go.

Well, if I complain, will she understand this crow's displeasure? Oh wow! A tray!! There are pretty and delicious-looking cookies and tea set on a tray that I've only seen in movies! Oooh, you're here to give Karmeut some tea and refreshments!

The maid's form in pouring the tea was so courteous and disciplined. It was wonderful, but my eyes were all on the cookies.

Oh, wow... They, they look delicious. I actually really like snacks!

Cookies!! They're covered with jam. So colorful, pretty, and sprinkled with sugar...

Mmm, I want to eat! I can't eat much because I'm full, but I want to eat!!

I was looking at the cookies while smacking my beak, then a hand reached out to pick a cookie, break it into small pieces, and held out the palm full of cookies in front of me.

"Come on, eat it."

Re-really?

Karmeut also beckoned me to eat with his eyes and a small smile on his face.

Let's see... the big one! The big piece! Wohoo! Yeah!!

I picked up the largest piece of cookie in his palm with my beak.

I wish I could chew it, but I can't, so I'll just swallow it.

Ooh... sweet! So sweet and delicious! It's better because it's different from the sweetness fruits--!!

Although full, I still wanted to eat cookies, so I picked up those pieces of cookies that had been made easy to eat with my beak and swallowed them deliciously.

Haah, I'm really full now. You don't have to give me any more.

I pushed Karmeut's hand with my beak to express my thought.

"You don't want to eat anymore?"

Yeah. I won't eat anymore. I'm full.

I nodded while giving a short caw.

I was a little puzzled. What was so funny that he laughed?

--- Does he always have this kind of character? I don't think so. Well... It's not a bad thing to show something like this to me, and it's not something to worry about, so it's good, right?

Sitting comfortably on Kameut's shoulder, I closed my eyes.

I was full, and I felt sleepy at the relief that I had gotten out of the forest. Yawn, I'm going to take a nap...

 

Karmeut’s POV

Karmeut looked sideways at the sleeping crow on his shoulder that buried its beak in its feathers.

It was so cute that he couldn't help but smile at the sight of it that was sleeping soundly.

It seemed that it was sleeping so deeply that if it was a cat or dog, there would be snoring, so Karmeut was really careful not to move his shoulders as much as possible while drinking his tea.

It was a wonder. It wasn't a small bird like a sparrow and was all black and shiny that it was more pretty than cute, but it couldn't be denied that it looked ominous.

‘But, Rainelle shouldn't be that way.’

Which crow, no... which animal would help humans?

It was also a place where it was impossible to think of any timely help when a person was in danger.

It was instinctive for animals to be wary of humans and monsters that they would try to escape or attack as soon as they sense them.

So, Rainelle, who had the intelligence to judge the situation and understand language, along with its friendliness to humans, was unusual and unique.

Of course, thanks to that, Karmeut was here now.

The golden eyes turned to look at the cookie plate.

Before, he had shoved food down Rainelle's throat.

Well, one needed to eat to get healthy again. When Rainelle was unconscious, Rainelle just ate the food, but when it came to its senses, it strongly refused to eat that Karmeut got hated.

That made it so obvious that it didn't like that so much. Karmeut was sure that Rainelle was full, but then, it ate the cookies.

'I must prepare some more cookies.'

This crow is the savior of his life. Even if was a mere flying animal, it had helped him until where he was now, so he had no intention of neglecting it.

The prince tilted his teacup.

*Knock, knock, knock*

"Your Highness, the healer has arrived."

"Come in."

After permission was given, the door then opened. The healer appeared to be in his mid-forties and was dressed in neat and solemn-looking white attire. His hair was tied and reached until his shoulder blades.

He greeted Karmeut

"Greetings to Your Highness the First Prince."

"I'm sorry to make you come all the way here. It's because of this fellow," said Karmeut while pointing to a crow that was sleeping on his shoulder.

The ominous bird with a white bandage wrapped on one of its wings showed no sign of waking up even though a stranger came in.

"...do I need to treat this bird?"

"It's my cherished child. Its wing is badly injured, so take care of it."

The prince stroked the crow lightly on the back.

The healer's eyes widened slightly as he watched Karmeut stroking it while smiling gently while the crow seemed to have woken up due to the prince's actions just then as it straightened its head even as its eyes were still closed.

Wolfric Iveld de Karmeut was actually fighting for the successor position with Wolfric Kaveld de Luwellin, the third prince who's also known to be the most powerfully gifted.

Originally, it was natural for Luwellin, who had awakened his ability, to get the title, but Karmeut was superior in the qualities of a king that was great enough to be considered and agonize over.

Externally, Karmeut was close to perfection. Although he was considerate of his subordinates and had humanity, but he was cold when it came to work.

It can be said that his human part was his considerateness of situations, but it was rare to see him smile. It was like a defensive action because he knew that if he didn't do his job perfectly, he would have been pushed by Luwellin and his life would be in danger.

But a crow, which was said to be ominous and brought death over, put a smile on his face?

Realizing that the words “cherished child,” had not been mixed with any falsehood, the healer reached out to the crow with a more cautious attitude.

-Even if it was a treatment using divine power, he outstretched his hand because he can give a more accurate treatment by looking at the wound.

"Caaaw!"

***

 

Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

 

 

 

Support Me