Friday, July 22, 2022

Of All Things, I Became a Crow: Chapter #73

 

Of All Things, I Became a Crow: Chapter #73

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

*Rainelle’s POV

"This is a high-level wind spirit. It is also a spirit that I contracted with."

I got up from my seat unconsciously. My contracted spirit, Mui, was a low-level spirit, so it was small and cute, but the high-level spirit was cool.

So cool!! He had shown it before at the banquet hall, but I haven't seen it this close!!

"Wow--- !! This is what a high-level wind spirit looks like!"

"There is no specific form of the spirits. This is what the high-level spirit I contracted with looks like."

"It looks great---!! Mui, come on out!"

Mui appeared with my necklace as the medium. Being afraid of the high-level spirit in front of us, Mui hid behind me.

"It's okay, Mui."

After I said that it was okay, Mui poked her head out and looked to the front. Miel also looked at the high-leveled spirit.

Then the spirit's figure disappeared.

Ah, too bad.

"Too bad..."

"I couldn't help it because the spirit that made a contract with Rainelle-nim was afraid of the high-level spirit. The spirits are strictly hierarchical."

"Strictly hierarchical?"

“Yes. Using an analogy, the high-level wind spirit is a typhoon, and the low-level wind spirit is a breeze…? Since it is like a big typhoon, a small wind naturally cannot beat the typhoon.”

I nodded at his explanation. After all, one of the common fantasy settings was that the low-level spirits obeyed the high-level spirits, right?

"It would be nice if Mui becomes a high-leveled spirit, wouldn't it? Then you might be really cool too, right?"

Mui nodded her head as she burst into a giggle and circled my head once. At the spirit's actions, I wanted to fly too out of nowhere.

Oh, if it wasn't for Miel, we'd have fun playing together after I become to be a crow!!

I put my regrets aside and accepted Mui's playfulness with a smile, but a soft voice reached me,

"Do you like spirits, Rainelle-nim?"

"Yes, I really like them. This one is cute, isn't it? Of course, I've heard that spirits are useful if you used them well, but I've never used this one that much."

Even if I use it, I think it’s when I’m playing while flying? The cute Mui can control the wind, which really helps when I’m flying.

At my words, Miel nodded his head and said,

"Is that true? Actually, so am I. The people who made a contract with the spirits practically did not use the spirits very often."

"...why?"

"If one uses the power of a high-level spirit recklessly, the city can be destroyed."

Ah, it would be a big deal if a typhoon suddenly appeared in the city. Besides, magic is much more versatile...

"Rainelle-nim. Do you have any intention of making a contract with another spirit?"

I blinked at Miel's words about making a contract with another spirit.

Uh... of course, I'm curious about the spirits of other elements. Mui is cute, but what about the water spirits, fire spirits, and earth spirits? Would they look like animals? Would they have humanoid figures or animal-like figures?

Just imagining it made my heart flutter.

But the biggest problem is…

"But I don't know if I have an affinity for spirits of other elements. What does Marquis Miel think?"

"I need to call the spirits of other elements to check..."

Miel seemed to ponder for a moment, then he shook his head and said,

"Forgive me, that was a slip of the tongue. It is a matter of life and death to proceed with the contract by force. To say such a thing..."

"Oh, no. It's okay. I was interested, but I heard that the spirit contract itself is usually difficult. Thank you for your concern, Marquis Miel."

"...it's hard to say when it’s about another spirit, but if you want a spirit stone, I can help you."

"A spirit stone?"

"It is a rare stone found in places where the power of the spirits is concentrated. It's very useful because it's a stone that allows you to use the power of the spirits without having to go through a contract. Moreover, it is so beautiful that countless people want to obtain the spirit stone."

I thought so. The spirit stone you gave to Karmeut was also very pretty, wasn't it? No, wait.

"...Isn't the spirit stone a precious thing? But is it easy to get it?"

"If it's for Rainelle-nim, I can do anything to help."

---I couldn't help but feel good even though I was troubled by Miel's behavior which was almost at the level of worship.

Ugh, such a handsome man!! Treating me like this!! Who would hate it!!

"Is there any way to get it?"

"Of course. Spirit stone is a stone condensed from the energy of the spirits. The easiest way to find it is through a spirit."

"Ah---! So only the spirits can find it?"

"A person passing by accidentally may be amazed at the unique color and pick it up. However, it is usually easily found by spirits or elves who are sensitive to the energy of nature."

Oh oh---!! Another setting!

"But while humans seek it to use it, the elves find the condensed energy of the spirits to be not harmonious to nature."

"Then they would destroy the spirit stone?"

"I think it’s probably so. It is also called the ‘power of spirits’, but it's actually an abnormally concentrated power in one place."

"That’s too bad... I've seen it before, and the spirit stone is very beautiful..."

At those words, Miel smiled a little. The gentle smile was different from Karmeut’s, but it also seemed to shine brightly.

"Hm... Is that so? Usually, the people able to use the power of spirits are attracted to it... so it’s the same for Rainelle-nim."

"Is that so?"

"Yes. It's hard for me to find something as large as the one I gave to His Majesty, but small ones are okay."

Whoa, whoa---!!

"Really? It must be hard to find. Are you sure?"

"-If Rainelle-nim wants it."

...I never think that Miel is cool when he gently curved his eyes before! Eeh, it’s not that I betray Karmeut!!

It would be weird if someone who said 'If it's for you' wouldn’t be cool, right! Moreover, it’s to get something hard to find! Right?!

Although something pricked kinda pricked me, my head that thought that he was cool also remained the same, so I put a smile on my face.

"It's not something I have to get, so don't overdo it. Okay?"

"Okay, Rainelle-nim."

I smiled a little as I looked at Miel who smiled as he answered without hesitation.

Oh, looking at it like this, Miel isn't that bad, is he? I think I didn't have to stay away from him and make a fuss that the original storyline would be destroyed!

 

*Karmeut’s POV

Karmeut was walking quickly. Now that he had become the emperor, something bad should never happen again, but still, people don't know for sure. To prepare for unexpected things, he had secretly attached a guard to Rainelle.

The report he heard was that Marquis Miel was visiting Rainelle, so Karmeut was on his way there.

Something was disturbing Karmeut. And Marquis Miel was personally annoying to him. If Miel’s abilities weren't outstanding and he was arrogant, Karmeut would have thrown him out straight away.

I can't kick him away. But... I can't stand him being around Rainelle over and over again. Because he felt that the emotion in Miel’s eyes was more than wanting to serve Rainelle.

A strong man that had feelings for Rainelle and can keep her safer1 ...In that sense, Miel was perfect.

The Emperor, who felt like his stomach was boiling, quickened his steps.

"-Wow!! That's great, Miel!"

"Thank you for the compliment."

"Again, can you show me something else?"

It was a clear voice full of curiosity. Knowing who the owner of that voice was, Karmeut's steps became more cautious.

When he opened the door slightly and peered inside through a gap, there were Rainelle in her human form and Marquis Miel.

The purple eyes sparkling with curiosity were fixed on the little spirits that were hovering in the air.

What seemed to be low-level spirits: a butterfly made of flames, a fish made of water, and a small dwarf-like spirit made of earth, were hovering around Rainelle. Karmeut clenched his fists tightly when Rainelle’s figure with a smile on her lips as if finding the spirits to be cute and fascinating came into his view.

I've never seen her make such a smile.

She must have been happy to see the spirits, but when Karmeut thought that the person who made it possible for her to smile like that was Marquis Miel, the Emperor's body trembled.

Understandably, he thinks of Rainelle as a benefactor because she had saved his life. Besides, Rainelle is so beautiful and lovable that it’s likely to have special feelings towards her.

But, that doesn't mean that he can approach her. Rainelle is my companion. Rainelle is the only one who can be my partner.

How can I let someone else lay their gaze on my precious partner?

The golden eyes glowed eerily, the pupils briefly changed to that of a wolf and then went back to a human’s.

After taking a short deep breath, the Emperor threw his gaze to the side.

-The knight, who had been stiff since the Emperor arrived, nodded quickly and opened his mouth while tapping the door lightly,

"Rainelle-nim, His Majesty the Emperor has arrived."

Then the voice of joy ceased. After that, a confused voice was heard,

"His Majesty the Emperor---?!"

Then, not long after, the door swung open.

"Your Majesty--!"

Seeing the expression of surprise and delight on Rainelle’s face, Karmeut's heart melted. The Emperor’s eyes, which showed smiles and looked at her softly, turned behind her.

When he saw Miel, who stood awkwardly and then greeted him with courtesy, Karmeut’s eyes became cold.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, Marquis Miel."

"...No, Your Majesty the Emperor."

"I've been trying to stop by. Sorry, but I would like you to leave. I've got something urgent to tell Rainelle."

Miel’s pink eyes shook for a moment at those words. However, after speaking his farewell politely, Miel left the room.

"Karmeut, what's the matter? You said you had something to tell me?"

Karmeut, who had been watching Miel until the door closed, turned his head. Feeling the unpleasantness slowly fading away, he smiled faintly, but then he quickly hid it as the purple eyes looked at him in wonder and worry.

 

*Rainelle-s POV

He suddenly said that he have something to tell me. What is going on? Maybe something happened?! Is it war? A rebellion or something?!

I was even more worried after seeing Karmeut’s tired expression.

Hmm?! What, what is it?!! What’s happening all of a sudden?!

"Sorry, Rainelle, for disturbing your meeting with Marquis Miel."

"Ah, no, no!! I was just looking at the low-level spirits that the Marquis Miel had called! But what is it? What's going on?"

"Ah... After the banquet was over, I had some free time, but the work has started to pile up again..."

There was no strength in Kamut's smiling face as he said that. The first thing I felt when seeing him like that was sadness.

Yes... It’s said that kings and emperors have had a lot of work since the old days... But seeing it real in front of me, feels kind of strange. The emperor's ‘lululala2’ appearance in the novel was all a lie!!

No, although the job has been described as hard, I didn't expect it to be this much! Again, the reality cannot be taken lightly---!! Ah, even in history, some kings and emperors died from overwork---!!

When I thought about it that far, I got more worried.

"Are you okay, Karmeut?"

"Well..."

Karmeut approached me with a weak voice, then he grabbed me and buried his face in my shoulder. While rubbing his head slowly, he said,

"Sigh... I came here because I wanted to rest a little bit. Is it okay?"

The voice that said he wanted to rest had no energy, so I nodded my head without even realizing it. Then, Karmeut muttered "Thank you," and turned into a wolf.

The wolf's fur was glistening in gold color as he rubbed his head on the hem of my dress and made a small whine.

The image of a wolf wagging his tail slowly and whining as if telling me to pet it...

So cute! Cool yet cute!!

I gently stroked the back of his neck. Then, while making a small woof, the wolf carefully licked my fingers. The action made my heart flutter in a different sense than when I saw the low-level spirits.

Wow... as expected, animals are the best!! Perfect!! Spirits are nice, but I can't touch them like this! Mui is a wind spirit, so it’s fine, but I might get burned while petting the fire spirit, right?

I sat down on the bed as my lips unconsciously loosened. Then Karmeut jumped onto the bed too.

The bed shook for a moment, but then it became still. Slowly wagging his tail, the wolf lay down next to me and put his shout on my lap.

The slowly flickering golden eyes looked tired for some reason, so I gently petted him.

When I gently stroked his head and then brushed the nape of his neck, he let out a sigh of satisfaction.

Karmeut's action of putting his head on my stomach with a small whining sound was cute yet pitiful. How tired and exhausted must he be to act like this?

Recalling that Karmeut had rarely done this, I moved my hand more carefully without realizing it. As I caressed his cheek, the wolf gently closed his eyes. I felt his body relaxed and leaning against me.

"If you're tired, get some sleep, Karmeut."

As I patted his back, his tail wagged once. It was funny of him to reply with his tail, so it made me want to laugh, but I barely held it down when I remembered that he had come here to rest.

The wolf's head was warm on my lap, and the fur that brushed against my fingers was soft.

Accepting all of those with happiness, I thought to myself,

...Next time, I'll try to be in his arms while Karmeut is a wolf and me in the form of a crow. It must feel really good because his fur is long and soft, right?

***

 Notes:

Maybe in terms of politics. Y’know, higher status have more risks

Like, smiling and sparkling?

 

Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee

You can visit too to check out some cute and cool phone wallpapers!

 

 

 

 

 

Support Me