Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Of All Things, I Became a Crow: Chapter #97

 

Of All Things, I Became a Crow: Chapter #97

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

*Rainelle’s POV

Aria smiled slyly. As if she had remembered something at that moment, her eyes widened, and she asked,

"No, why are you writing a letter now? If I listen carefully to how Karmeut treated Rainelle, aren’t you two already a couple?"

"Uh---! I, I can't deny it, but... I mean, I want to initiate precious moments like yours too!"

It's been one of my dreams!

I clenched my fists in front of her with that in mind. Aria blinked her eyes, then she burst into laughter. After that, she even grabbed her gut while rolling over, laughing.

"Puu, fuhahahahahaha! Oh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh---!! Write it then, love letter, uh hee hee hee hee!

"---! Don't laugh like that! Talk to me properly!!"

"No, no, no, no, no, this is not, pffttt! Uh-ahaha---!! No, isn’t it funny?! I haven't met Karmeut in person yet, but just listening to what Rainelle has to say, the romantic relationship between you two is dripping with so much honey, so it's funny that you say that!"

After that, she laughed again like crazy.

"Ariaa!!"

"Ah, you’re envious of me and Namuel exchanging letters? Is that right?"

"Well, I’m a little envious... So! Will you teach me? Will you teach me?!"

Aria laughed so hard that she answered while wiping her tear-filled eyes with her hand.

"Ahh, my stomach, my stomach... Ah. Of course, I’ll help you. I can’t possibly say no."

I was thinking of slapping Aria’s hand away as she ruffled her hair like she was expressing: “Aww, how cute”, but I endured it.

If I get angry with my future teacher, it's my loss. So be patient, be patient.

"Then, shall we start now? The sooner you learn, the better, right?"

"Of course!"

"Okay! Then I'll have the maids bring papers and writing utensils, so would you mind stepping out of the room as a crow for a moment?"

That’s easy!

I hurried back to my crow form. After all the preparation, I went back to the room with excitement.

***

 

*Karmeut’s POV

Since when? Rainelle had gone to Young Lady Gwynell’s place so much like she was living there.

At first, Karmeut was worried that she might have been kidnapped or attacked, so he summoned Marquis Albion to get the clear situation.

He was relieved when he learned that Rainelle was in Count Gwynell’s manor.

...but why does Rainelle have to learn to write from her?

Karmeut was puzzled and, at the same time, worried. The season was running towards autumn. It was fine during the day, but in the morning and evening, a rather cool wind started to blow, so he was even more worried.

It was not until the sun went down did her black figure flew in.

As if tired, she immediately sat on the perch. The crow's eyes seemed surprised when she finally saw Karmeut.

"Ka, Karmeut?"

Karmeut was silent as he saw Rainelle speaking in a bewildered tone after she immediately changed into her human form. Perhaps feeling uneasy at the silence, Rainelle took a step closer and opened her mouth again,

"What’s wrong...? Did something happen?"

"Rainelle."

"Huh? What is it, Karmeut?"

"Where have you been?"

Hearing that, Rainelle exclaimed an “Ah”. Then she answered while shaking her head slightly,

"---from Aria's house."

At those words, Karmeut bit his lower lip. It was because he didn't know how to react for a moment due to Rainelle's casual reply.

"…from Count Gwynell’s manor?"

"Yes."

"…can you tell me why?"

At his cautious question, Rainelle had an embarrassed expression. Then she murmured, answering Karmeut's question.

"Can... can you not ask?"

"---You don’t want me to ask?"

"Yes. I'm sorry, Karmeut."

Seeing Rainelle apologizing with a genuinely sorry expression on her face, Karmeut sighed inwardly and nodded his head.

If she wanted to learn how to write, it would be good to ask me. Then she would be able to learn from the best talents in an easy and understandable way. No, I could have taken the time to teach her myself.

But why does Rainelle have to ask and learn from Count Gwynell’s daughter?

Whatever the case, it was something she didn't want to say, so I couldn't ask anymore. Although Marquis Albion will periodically report to me...

Karmeut turned into a wolf at the sight of Rainelle who returned to her crow form. Perhaps tired, she began nodding off under the sun. Karmeut laid down on his stomach and gave a short bark.

At that signal, the crow opened her half-closed eyes. She flew straight into the wolf's arms.

The wolf rolled his eyes at the sight of the crow digging into his bosom, crying out as if she was happy. Then he flicked his tail in delight and covered the crow's body.

The wolf rested his chin on the floor, looking at the crow that had fallen asleep with her beak slightly open.

In the wolf's head, the question of  [why does Rainelle keep the fact that she is learning to write from Count Gwynell’s daughter a secret?] was floating around.

***

*Rainelle’s POV

With trembling hands, I began to write letter by letter on the parchment.

"Uhh---!!"

"You're doing well. Fighting!!"

"Don't put encouragements on the side!! I think I'll mess up!"

"Karmeut will say that it’s good no matter how messy Rainelle writes!"

"I can't stand that! And if possible, I want it to be cool and sophisticated!"

"If you’re clumsy, you’ll be cute as hell, you know? Besides, Rainelle's main body is a crow, so it's not weird that you write it clumsily."

Aria actions of waving her hands while saying “Don’t worry, don’t worry.” somehow made me irritated.

No!! I can be good at it!!

"I'm going to write it skillfully!!"

“First of all, tell me that when your hand is not trembling.”

---I kept my mouth shut at the extremely truthful remarks.

Ahhh, I can’t do anything about my hands! But I can still control the message anyway!!

"Ah, then help me check! I want to send him the letter soon!"

"Huh? Why?"

"Karmeut had asked where had I been for staying out so long."

At those words, Aria's expression changed subtly.

"...Maybe Karmeut knows what you’re doing."

"Huh? How?"

"Karmeut is the emperor. Won’t his manpower be overflowing? Because the place that Rainelle is visiting is safe, he's pretending he doesn't know, right?"

Hearing that, I felt my heart sink. So I asked her in haste,

"The, then!! Does he know why I go back and forth to your house?!"

"Well… I don't know about that."

"Ahhh!! Then I should send the letter sooner! Aria, please check it!!"

"Huh? Is that really okay? Can I read your love letter?"

"...Thinking about it again, you don't have to read it after all. Yeah, you don't have to read it! I’ll use it even if it’s messy!"

I lay down at the desk, desperately holding my letter.

Aria, who was approaching with a bizarre presence, then shrugged and clicked her tongue due to my response.

"Then you're done writing?"

"---This is the best I can do with my lack of skills."

"Then I'll bring you an envelope and sealing wax."

While Aria was away for a while, I folded the letter neatly.

After Aria returned, I put the letter in an envelope and dripped wax on it.

"The seal is a problem. It's unreasonable to use the Gwynell’s seal..."

"If that's the case, then I have a good idea! Here, let it cool down a bit..."

I blew it to cool down the wax. And when the wax was warm, enough temperature to be able to be patted with my fingers, I returned to my crow form. Then, I pressed on the wax with my feet. And so, my footprint was imprinted on the wax.

Well, how is it?

I looked at Aria with that meaning, and Aria answered me without saying a word, only raising her thumb up.

"If it’s like this, It will look like it’s from Rainelle. Nobles usually use seals or rings with engravings on them. ---And it’s cute."

When she said “it’s cute” while humming, I felt a sense of crisis.

Ah, ah, ah, ahh!!

As I quickly grabbed the envelope with my feet and flew up, Aria yelled at me in disappointment.

"Oh come on! Just a little bit!! I teach you the rhetoric used in love letters, gave you a lot of parchment to practice, and cooperate with you! Please reward me!"

"Caaw? (Is that so?)"

I thought she was right, so I contemplated for a moment.

---I think I should say thank you...?

As I remembered how hard Aria had taught me, my conscience throbbed. So, I lowered my altitude slightly toward Aria.

"Kkak! (Ahhh!)"

"Yes, I got you! I got the baby boo who tried to run away!"

"Kakk!! Kkak!!

(I knew it would be like this!! It's my fault to be kind!!)"

...In the end, I was petted and rubbed for at least 30 minutes.

Haa... My, my feathers...

Shaking my body, I roughly arranged my feathers, then I grabbed the envelope and flew to the Imperial Palace.

And now! All I have to do is to leave this secretly on his office desk!

"Caw, caaw! (Hey, come with me!)"

...Oh, bird’s life, why is it so difficult...

I flapped my wings harder at the presence of a male crow that followed me closely.

-But I couldn't get away from the strong male crow.

In the first place, I couldn't escape even when I borrowed Mui's power! Ugh, do I really need to train my wings?!

"Caaw? (To go where?)"

"Caaw! Caaw! (Nice place! Lots of food, too!)"

"Caaw!! (I, I don’t like bugs!!)"

The male crow's wings drooped slightly when I said I didn't like bugs, but then it said while flapping its wings vigorously,

"Caaw!

(Not bugs, something else!)"

I pondered for a moment when I saw the male crow shouting hard.

It's not the breeding season, but it's sad to see this guy try so hard to win a female's heart. But right now, leaving this letter is the most important thing... Oh, yes!

"Caaw? (Hey, will you follow me this time?)

At those words, the male crow's eyes widened. Then it nodded its head like crazy.

"Caw! Caw? (Okay! Where are you going?)"

"Caaw! (A place where there are delicious and shiny things!)"

Of course, that's where people live, but I didn't lie, did I?

But by the way, it's so easy for this guy to accept... Such a simple fellow. No, wait. Saying this is like spitting on my face, isn't it? Argh! Let’s not think about that matter anymore!

With that in mind, I gestured to the male crow and started flying to the Imperial Palace.

I'm feeling sorry for this excited guy, but I could just give it a lot of cookies!!

***

 

*Karmeut’s POV

Karmeut, who was away for a while to eat, blinked when he saw something he had never seen on his desk in the office.

Is it a document that is submitted for approval? As he approached the desk, he could see the thing better, but he was puzzled instead.

"A letter?"

A letter was nothing special. This was because when he became the emperor who ruled a country, he received not only documents but also letters as a daily routine.

But the problem was the seal on the wax.

No, should I call that a seal?

Seeing that the part where the seal of wax was strangely crushed, Karmeut looked at it more and then started to burst into laughter unconsciously.

It was because the pattern engraved on the wax seemed to say “I am a bird’s footprint”.

This is obviously sent by Rainelle.

So Karmeut quickly sat down and gently peel off the seal, fearing that it might break. Then he took out the letter inside.

He opened the letter carefully. Not long after, he covered his mouth with one hand. His body shook while a smile couldn’t be suppressed.

 

[To be honest, I don't know how to send a love letter to Karmeut. But I'll try my best.

I’m glad I met Karmeut. Thank you for being by my side. You are so special.

 

With all my heart, Rainelle]

 

It's amazing how much she can write in such a short period of time.

Should I say this is special or should I say this is cute?

I didn’t know Rainelle is working so hard for this. Karmeut chuckled.

"Sigh, so you just want to send me a letter..."

She wanted to write a letter to me, so she secretly learned to write from Count Gwynell’s daughter.

—his heart got tickled.

The Emperor could not hold back the smile on his lips as he tasted the softness.

"It's not a time to do this. I should write a reply. No, should I go and talk to her?"

The office was full of papers, but only the image of Rainelle, who had written him a letter, was floating around in his head.

***

 

Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us keep our spirit up and get us closer to buying a new laptop by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

You can visit too to check out some cute and cool phone wallpapers!

 

 

 

 

Support Me