Thursday, December 29, 2022

Of All Things, I Became a Crow: Chapter #135

 

Of All Things, I Became a Crow: Chapter #135

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

*3rd person POV

Miel stood with his brows furrowed as if uncomfortable.

"...Go away."

In response to Rainelle's voice full of displeasure, the nobles who showed politeness in front of them bowed their heads and replied,

"We can’t do that, Rainelle-nim."

"Why can't you do that?"

“His Majesty has been unconscious, so how can we not come to see him?”

Hearing those words, Miel swallowed his anger inside:

‘When the Imperial Palace was destroyed and a part of the Capital was blown away, they didn't even show their nose.’

And now, they only finally come to visit His Majesty? While ignoring Rainelle-nim, who devoted all her energy to resolve the situation?’

Miel took a step forward, even more furious than being spat on his face.

It was Rainelle who stopped him. When Miel stopped his movements at the sight of her raising her hand, Rainelle rose from her seat.

*Flutter*

Black wings sprouted from Rainelle's back. Lightly moving her wings once, Rainelle's gaze turned to the nobles.

"Visiting His Majesty the Emperor... so thoughtful."

"Thank you for seeing it like that, Rainelle-nim."

"...But I'm not sure if it’s sincere."

The sarcasm made the nobles flinch. The nobles’ action of looking up at Rainelle was very rude, but Rainelle did not stop it.

"What do you mean by that..."

"You can't even understand the literal meaning. I doubt how you become the pillar of the Empire with that head. It seems that superior pedigree is the only good thing about you."

The faces of the nobles turned red at Rainelle's blatant remarks. However, the reason why they couldn't advance forward was because of the stern expressions of the Imperial Guards next to them.

In the ferocious atmosphere where the sword could be pulled out and struck at any moment, Reynel continued, Rainelle continued,

"Let me ask you one thing. You guys, while the Capital was attacked and His Majesty was put between life and death... where were you and what were you doing? You didn't think about moving that heavy butt?"

"That, of course, we quelled the people's confusion---!!"

"The people. Is that really so, Marquis Albion?"

"...No. According to the investigation, they didn't care for the people. At least not the people here."

"Shut up, Marquis Albion!"

A sword was thrust in front of the throat of the nobleman who raised his voice involuntarily. The noble shut his mouth with a blue face at the sharp glint of the sword, and the vice commander's cold voice resounded,

“How dare you raise your voice in front of her?”

"---!!"

"If Rainelle-nim was self-indulgent, I don't think that neck would be attached to your body."

“Are you threatening me now?”

"I’m asking you to be polite."

A tense atmosphere hung between them. Like a thread pulled tautly, it was a risky atmosphere that would break if someone touched it even a little bit.

"...Let me be clear about one thing."

It was Rainelle who broke the silence. Hearing her voice, the bowing nobles raised their head and looked at her.

"You cannot visit His Majesty the Emperor."

"---!!"

"Do you think I'll allow it? Through this, it’s clear who the Emperor should favor and who shouldn't."

“Rainelle-nim------!!”

"Do you intend to defy me? Or, by any chance, do you feel bad about a non-human, an animal, giving you orders from above your head?"

The nobleman shut his mouth. As if responding to that attitude, Rainelle raised the corner of her mouth.

“Vice-commander, please send them back.”

"---!!"

"Understood, Rainelle-nim."

"Wait a minute. Rainelle-nim! Such nonsense---!!"

"Go back. Consider it lucky that you get to keep your neck. Or, have you gotten bored with life? If that's the case, I might as well end you myself."

The words were bloody enough to contradict the lithe and soft voice. And it seems that the words were not just mere words. The jabbing on a certain noble’s neck was gradually getting deeper.

"Take note that I want to behead you who didn't even show yourselves when the crisis happened."

...As she said “So, by sparing your life, I have shown enough mercy”, her purple eyes gleamed coldly. Enough to make the nobles stagger backward without even realizing it.

Under the ferocious eyes of the Imperial Guards, the nobles had to leave the place as if they were kicked out.

After seeing their retreating figures for a while, Rainelle hid her wings and turned her gaze towards Miel.

"You can rest a little longer. I heard that the impact of the forced dismissal of high-level spirits is not that light. And there were two back then."

"I'm fine after receiving treatment. Don't worry too much, Rainelle-nim."

"...I’m glad to hear that. But please take good care of yourself."

"Alright, Rainelle-nim."

When Miel comply, Rainelle gave him a small and soft nod. Then, without hesitation, she turned around.

 

*Rainelle’s POV

---Haa, after dealing with the disgusting nobles, I want to go back to Karmeut's side. ---But before that, there’s a place I need to stop by.

When I arrived at the destination with Miel, the knights guarding the door saluted.

...After stopping the rampaging Namuel, they seemed to be more polite and courteous.

After a brief reply to them, I said:

"Open the door."

"As you wish, Rainelle-nim."

After the knights bowed, they opened the door.

After taking a short deep breath while watching it, I went inside.

The inside was luxurious, befitting one of the many rooms in the Imperial Palace. Except for the fact that there were iron bars all over the windows and a magic circle on the floor covered with carpets, making it impossible to use magic here.

“---Ah, Rainelle-nim.”

Namuel, who was sitting on the bed, struggled to raise his upper body. Looking at it, I shook my head.

"Make yourself at ease, Marquis Namuel."

"But how can I..."

"Should I issue an order?"

At that, Namuel became quiet.

Perhaps it was due to the aftermath of his awakening, but his light gray hair had turned silver gray.

“How are you feeling?”

"---I'm still recovering. I think it will take some time because I used too much energy when I was out of it."

Well, I thought it would be weird otherwise. To use magic like that in a wolf state… It was great enough that if I didn't know it was Namuel, I'd mistake it for a dragon.

As we both didn’t say anything, silence fell between us. ---It was Namuel who broke the silence.

"...Rainelle-nim."

"What is it, Marquis Namuel?"

"Am I... am I allowed to be this comfortable here?"

“Did you prefer prison?”

"I mean, prison is a better place for me. After all, I..."

Namuel gritted his teeth.

“I’m a sinner who not only disrupted the Empire, but also attacked the Emperor himself. It’s not even enough for me to be beheaded. But, but why..."

“It is His Majesty the Emperor who will decide that.”

At that, Namuel raised his head and looked at me. Receiving that gaze, I took a deep breath.

...I thought I’d want to scream at him all the time, but that was in the past. And when I saw Namuel who was immersed in guilt, unlike the nobles earlier, even the energy to be angry disappeared.

"...I think I want to kill you, and I'm on the verge of actually killing you."

Hearing those words, Namuel's gaze went down. His serene expression, which looked as if it was only natural, was impressive.

...That's why I can't be angrier. The rampage was never his intention, so even though I was still feeling angry despite knowing it, Namuel regretted it so much that my anger was slowly disappearing.

"...But His Majesty has not woken up yet. So the decision will be delayed."

“---!! His Majesty, is he all right?!”

I slowly nodded my head in response to his urgent question.

"His body condition has completely recovered. ---But he’s not up yet, I’m afraid..."

"---He is sleeping to recover from mental fatigue, Rainelle-nim. That's what the physician said, so don't worry too much."

Miel spoke quietly from behind.

---Yes, I heard it’s like that. So... I’ll believe it. I will wait until he awakens.

At the words, Namuel sighed with a visibly relieved face. Then his face crumpled and he covered it with one hand.

"I'm so glad... I almost... I almost... His Majesty..."

"---Do you have any memories of when you ran out of control?"

Namuel shook his head.

"--It's hazy, like there’s a lot of fog. My last memory was when I ate the Crobanlock, and since then, it’s unclear..."

Namuel, after being quiet for a while, then opened his mouth again,

"But there was something like a whispering voice in my blurred mind. That ‘All around me are enemies. You have to kill the enemies to protect your precious one’..."

"And you acted on that voice."

"...I am ashamed of myself, Rainelle-nim. But at that time, that voice was the only guide. It felt like a lighthouse shining faintly over the misty sea..."

I guess as much. Or he wouldn't have been so out of control.

It must mean that he was in a state of hypnosis. That's why it made sense that in his hazy mind, he moved as instructed by the demonic energy.

"...Anyway, focus on your recovery, Marquis Namuel."

I came to check Namuel's condition, so there was nothing more to see. That’s why I got up from my seat and ended our meeting,

"I'm worried about Miss Adriana. His Majesty will decide what to do with you after he wakes up... At least, I hope she doesn't worry about you, even if she can't see you right now."

Seeing that Namuel stiffened, it seemed that the warning was effective.

The warning was done just in case, but with this, he shouldn’t do something useless1 out of guilt.

Forgiveness or punishment –In the end, it is Karmeut's authority, not mine.

This is a luxurious prison specially prepared for him, so he can't use magic, and he won't do anything stupid.

---I have no more business here, so I have to return to Karmeut's side.

Just before I left the room with Miel, Namuel's voice stopped me in my track.

"...Miss Adriana, is she okay...?"

"...Except for begging me to let her see you just once, she isn’t hurt even a hair, so rest assured."

After saying that, I left the room without looking back. The knights shut the door, and I heard the faint sound of the door closing behind me.

I've roughly finished everything with this.

When I thought so, my impatience rose.

I have to quickly go to Karmeut.

Unbeknownst to me, my steps quickened. I moved my steps almost as if I was running, but when I realized that Miel was following me, I felt sorry for him.

"Marquis Albion, please go back and rest."

"...Yes? But..."

"I'm planning on nursing His Majesty the Emperor from here on. ...Besides, I will be more relieved if Marquis Albion has a good rest and regain his health."

At the remarks, Miel paused.

Even if he didn't say it, he has been through a lot. Even if he has received treatment, there's no way he'll be absolutely fine. Even if he can walk around, it seems that he’s not in perfect condition. That reaction convinced me.

"What do you think? Marquis Albion?"

“---If Rainelle-nim wishes so.”

He replied reluctantly, but I nodded my head at his attitude, which was no different from saying that he would. After he bid farewell politely, I looked at Miel’s figure for a moment as he went back, then I turned to continue my steps.

When will Karmeut wake up?

Could it be that he’s already awake?

If he’s still sleeping, it’s okay, but at the same time, I'm anxious.

The confusing mixture of wanting to be by his side the moment he woke up and the anxiety about him not waking up yet is swirling inside.

In a hurry, I turned into a crow and flew.

This was much better than walking while maintaining dignity in human form.

Arriving in front of Karmeut's room, I returned to my human form. While hiding my impatience, I watched the knights open the door after they bowed. As soon as the opening was enough, I went inside like an arrow.

Karmeut was still sleeping.

Even though I was relieved by that, at the same time, I was also resentful.

---I wonder how long he’s going to sleep. It would be nice if he will wake up now.

For a week, I was really suffering because I feel like my blood dried up and turned to powder all the time.

"---Please. When are you going to wake up?"

I took Karmeut's hand. It was a warm, big hand.

"I'm worried... Really, what if you don't open my eyes anymore..."

"...That won’t happen."

My eyes widened at the familiar voice.

A large, rough hand touched my cheek.

"...Sorry for worrying you, Rainelle."

Golden eyes full of gentleness were looking at me.

***

 Notes:

 Probably like, suicide...

 

Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us keep our spirit up and get us closer to buying a pc/laptop by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

You can visit too to check out some cute and cool phone wallpapers!

 

 

 

 

 

Support Me