Thursday, January 19, 2023

Of All Things, I Became a Crow: Side Story #2

 

Of All Things, I Became a Crow: Side Story #2

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

*Karmeut’s POV

Karmeut tapped the table with his index finger meaninglessly and was lost in thought.

The Empire had stabilized, and the shaky foundation of support had been solidified. In addition, a certain crow, who is not a daughter of an aristocratic family, but a mere flying animal, was also in the spotlight after that incident.

‘Descendant of the Black Bird. The Queen of all flying beasts that protects the Empire.’

It was a term referring to Rainelle after the incident in which Namuel ran out of control. She left a strong impression from what she did.

If she hadn't stopped Namuel at that time, Namuel wouldn’t only endanger Karmeut's life, but also the life of Princess Sepia.

Besides, she led things wonderfully after that, so it was only natural that her evaluation would rise higher.

‘---There's nothing wrong with things going well and Rainelle being recognized, but...’

"...I'm worried."

Karmeut was worried about Rainelle.

She was saying that it was okay, that it was something she had to do as an empress, but he was worried because she didn't seem very comfortable.

"Not mentioning how she doesn’t change into a crow, she won't even take out her wings that often..."

Karmeut knew how uncomfortable that would be. Assuming he always uses his wolf form for everyday life, it would be uncomfortable for him too, since he will have a lot of inconveniences.

‘What about Rainelle, who can fly?’

Thinking like that, he couldn't help but think how much Rainelle was holding back.

"---If I told her to just be at ease in the Imperial Palace, would she listen?"

Didn’t I do that yesterday? And instead of returning to her original form, she asked me to transform into a wolf.

Recalling that, Karmeut let out a long breath. Then he began to think about how to make Rainelle relax comfortably.

***

 

*Rainelle’s POV

"---Let's go play?"

I tilted my head at the behavior of Karmeut who suddenly came to me and said that.

Then he tilted his head and opened his mouth,

"Rainelle, aren't you a little tired lately?"

I was stung by those words.

---Did I get caught? I had complained about how difficult it was to deal with noble ladies, but how did he know that?

"Well, that’s..."

"You can be honest. I'm not too fond of dealing with nobles either. No, I'm rather tired. They make a lot of noise for their own gain."

As Karmeut let out a long sigh, I moved my gaze away.

"...A, a little bit?"

"Just a little bit?"

"...Well, it's a bit hard to listen to the noble ladies talking about useless things.

"Yeah, you can’t help but have to hear that, so it must be difficult."

Saying that, Karmeut lightly rubbed my cheek. I closed my eyes and enjoyed his touch. A familiar and gentle touch. The touch made me smile.

"So let's go play. It's a kind of vacation."

"...Is that okay? It can be said that things are stable, but if the Emperor and his wife leave the Capital..."

This was what I’m worried about.

Karmeut… well, he's been doing things well since he was the crown prince, so I’m not too worried, but the problem is me.

I’m in charge of coordination with the noble ladies. In a way, I’m not sure if it would be okay to leave, as it is a position where I could get cooperation from nobles with a different approach from Karmeut's, or get information to get rid of unnecessary people.

As my eyes wander while thinking so, I felt a light pinch hand on my cheek.

"Rainelle, don't worry."

"...still..."

"Rainelle has been doing well so far. I know you're working hard."

Saying so, Karmeut stroked my head.

When I heard those words, I felt my heart melting away.

“So you can rest a little.”

"...really?"

"I'm saying this because it's really okay. Even if it's not okay, I'll make it okay."

Karmeut's eyes gently curled up, and I felt my cheeks heat up.

"That's petty."

"Why?"

"You’re handsome, but now you look even more handsome."

Karmeut grinned. He then took my hand and kissed me lightly on the back of my hand. He said,

"It's an honor that you see me like that, beautiful Crow Lady."

Hearing that, I burst into laughter.

"What is that?"

"It's true that you’re beautiful, and it's true that you’re a crow. Well, it might be more accurate to say that you’re the queen of birds rather than a crow now."

At those words, I clamped my mouth.

"It's all because I’m lucky."

"That luck also came from Rainelle's hard work. If you hadn't worked so hard, I wouldn't be here right now."

I smiled awkwardly at that.

Frankly, after Karmeut fell unconscious, I was half out of my mind, and if Adriana hadn't stopped me, I might have killed Namuel.

I didn't even know I mobilized the birds like that. --After I found out later, I collected all the fallen ones and buried them well.

I flinched in surprise when Karmeut suddenly pressed our foreheads together.

"Don't look like that, Rainelle."

I slowly blinked my eyes at that. He then said in a low, gentle voice,

"It's over now. It’s all in the past. I'm here. …Sacrifices were made in the process, but some things couldn't be helped."

"…Yes."

“And even after that, Rainelle kept working hard. ...So it's okay to take a little rest."

“I don’t know why, but I do indeed feel more at ease now.

“—Will you rest for a bit?”

"Sure. Okay."

I closed my eyes as his lips touched my eyelids. I felt comfortable.

“…Then where are we going to play?”

"Where do you like? The sea? Mountains? Lakes? Tell me where."

I laughed lightly at Karmeut's successive questions as he gently curled the corners of his eyes.

"I don't even expect that before now."

"Does anywhere come to mind from the word ‘comfortable’?"

"Ummm..."

Comfortable, huh…

When I pondered like that, my mouth opened involuntarily,

"---when we first met."

"…When we first met?"

“Yes, when I first met Karmeut.”

I couldn't understand why I was comfortable at that time while saying this. It was when I was in the middle of a mental breakdown because I possessed a crow, but I felt comfortable at that time.

However, when I think about it now, I wondered if I had ever flown as freely as I did then. Ever since I went with Karmeut where people live, I haven't been able to fly to my heart’s content.

Because I always thought that I shouldn’t be far away from Karmeut.

“When I think about it now, that was when I was able to fly without any worries.”

"...really?"

"Yeah. I think it's a little like that even now. People don't have a good perception of crows, right? That's why I tried not to stay far from Karmeut's side."

After I said so, Karmeut silently stroked my head. I smiled at the touch and quickly added:

"But I'm comfortable now! So don't worry!"

"Yes, I see."

When he said he knew, I kept staring at him. Then Karmeut laugh and said,

"Let's go to a place where you can fly comfortably without worrying about others."

"Huh? Really?"

"Of course. Don’t you need to be comfortable when relaxing? That's why we're going out to play."

My anticipation was inflated.

“Then, can I fly around freely?”

"Yes, I'm going along after all."

"Is Karmeut going to run as a wolf?"

“I never thought of that, but it sounds like fun.”

“No nobles?”

"Well, there is. We will greet the lord of the land first. ...But we won't meet as many nobles as we did when we are in the Imperial Palace."

Hearing the answer, I unwittingly took out my wings and fluttered them. Then I hugged Karmeut's neck.

"Really? That's great!"

Karmeut smiled and hugged me back, which made me laughed.

"Then when are we leaving?"

"Well, when would be a good time?"

"The sooner the better! ---Ah, but I don't want to pressure Karmeut."

I was worried that it would hinder his work, so I quickly added that. Then Karmeut smiled and said,

"Don't worry, Rainelle. You don't have to worry about that."

"---Really? But ruling an empire is a difficult task."

“That said, I'm not so incompetent that I can't spend time alone with my wife."

Saying so, Karmeut kissed me on the cheek.

But I was already blushing as if my face would explode at the word 'wife'.

"Wi, wife..."

"Are you still shy to be called a wife?"

"Well, I'm not used to it yet."

"Then shall I call you with that until you get used to it?"

"Ah, no! No, no! I, I can't get used to it more if I listen to it continuously!"

Karmeut laughed.

But I’m nervous! That’s definitely a laugh to make fun of me!

"There's something else I want you to get used to."

“What is that?”

"Husband, honey, and darling?"

"---!"

“I hope you get used to hearing those words often.”

As he said that, Karmeut's hands gently wrapped around my waist and drew our faces together.

"No, wait...!"

"Won’t you call me with those terms?"

"Uh, that, that's---!"

"If you can't get used to the word ‘wife’, should I say ‘honey’? Or ‘darling’?"

My body trembled at Karmeut's action of whispering that with his lips pressed against my ear.

I flapped my wings, feeling goosebumps from the shame.

"Ear, if you do that right next to my ear---!!"

"Today, I won't let you go until you call me like that."

Saying so, ignoring my fluttering wings, he lifted me up and headed for the bed as my face went redder.

***

 

Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us keep our spirit up and get us closer to buying a new pc/laptop by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

You can visit too to check out some cute and cool phone wallpapers!

 

 

 

 

Support Me