Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Of All Things, I Became a Crow: Side Story Special #6

 

Of All Things, I Became a Crow: Special Side Story #6

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

*Rainelle’s POV

Since then, Adriana often visited. This was also something I was very thankful for, as Karmeut even cared about this.

"He cares so much about you."

"I guess so?"

I drank tea with Adriana in my human form after a long time. The garden, where only me, Adriana, and birds exist, was very cozy.


"It's emotionally bad for pregnant women to stay indoors without interacting with anyone else. .................Well, although I'm not a normal pregnant woman."

"That’s true."

I smiled awkwardly as I felt Adriana's eyes turn to my stomach. Then Adriana sighed and shook her head.

"I'm a little envious because you said it didn't hurt. They say normal childbirth hurts a lot."

"I don't think I'm a good example. I laid an egg in the form of a bird."

"...Right? I still feel a little envious though."

"What?"

Adriana's gaze turned to the nest. There, the egg piled with black feathers shimmered softly.

“Having a new life. It would be great to have a child with someone I love."

Even as she said that, the look on her face was unsure. I could guess what Adriana was thinking by her slightly quivering eyes and the way her hands fiddled with the rim of her teacup for some reason.

"Aren't you thinking too far ahead? You're not even married yet."

"If you saw decided to pick mulberries, you should think about what to do after that! It's good to think about these things!"

・・・・・・ It's kind of strange that you say that so proudly.

I swallowed the words and shook my head. Then Adriana narrowed her eyes.

“...As expected, Rainelle has changed a lot.”

"Have I changed?"

"Uh-huh."

She nodded her head and then smiled bashfully.

"You've matured…"

"......You mean I wasn’t before that?"

"Ugh, no comment!"

I squinted my eyes at those words. Adriana then raised her hands to announce her surrender.

"Still, you laid an egg, but the child is still in there. And seeing that egg, I became more curious about your and His Majesty's child."

Her gaze turned to the nest.

"I want to know about whether it will be a human child, a wolf, a crow, or a wolf with wings. I can't wait to see how cute and pretty the child will be."

When she said that, I stopped my laughing.

・・・・・Yeah, me too.”

"Of course. It's your child with the person you love."

Saying that, Adriana looked at the egg. Her eyes, brighter than usual, shimmered with envy and anticipation.

“How is Namuel these days?”

"Ummm...... To put it simply, we’re getting by."

Laughing bitterly, Adriana sighed.

"Honestly, I'm glad we are able to move on like this. I'm grateful. Thank you for your forgiveness."

I smiled vaguely at the words, and even now, I was still unsure if I would have made a different choice when I thought of that time.

Since Karmeut was hurt that much, I could never have forgiven Namuel completely.

"I know it is hard to forgive. But you saved our lives."

Adriana continued, as if she knew what I was thinking,

"That's why I'm grateful. I'm sorry, and thank you. It must have been a tough decision for you."

Then she smiled, saying that she wanted to wish me more happiness. That smile dazzled my eyes, but it also felt sad somehow.

"Because there's nothing else I can do. I'm sorry. I'm a person with no abilities."

"No, you’re not."

I shook my head.

"It is not so. Adriana does a lot for me. There is no other person in this world other than you who I can share about something I cannot tell anyone else.”

Adriana was the only one in this world who knew the previous world before I possessed the crow. She probably also knows how much comfort and support she can have just by having a partner she can confide in that she can't tell to anyone.

At that, Adriana smiled and shook her head lightly.

"If you put it that way, so am I.

"Then let's call it a tie, Adriana."

“...Really, you have changed.”

A smile caught on Adriana's lips as if she couldn't help it.

It was a thing of the past now. It was like that then, but since it was in the past, I can say it with a smile.

So it was fine. Incubating the egg and waiting for the child to come out was so overwhelming that I had no time to think of anything else.

It was good like this.

***

Incubating egg was not as boring as I expected. I loved the sound of the little one’s heartbeat, which grew louder as the days went by, and Karmeut leave time to stay by my side every day. The Princess and Adriana became my companion for talking, and we sometimes went out for a walk with my wings spread.

At that time, all kinds of birds, including Karmeut, who had turned into a wolf, would flock and cover the egg, so I could lessen my worries. Rather, it was at the level of Karmeut pushing me on the back, asking me to go out for a walk.

I realized more after tending to it day by day like that. The egg was growing little by little.

[When will you hatch?]

It wasn’t that I want to rush it. I was just curious and looking forward to that moment.

[Our lovely child. I am waiting for the day you’re hatching.]

"Yes. Mommy and Daddy are waiting for you, sweetheart."

[You are here, Karmeut?]

He nodded and picked a fruit with familiar hands. Saying that there is no need for me to transform into a human, he held out the said fruit.

I ate it while carefully rolling the egg with my toe.

"Has it been almost two months since you've incubate the eggs?"

[Yeah.]

"And summer is coming..."

Looking up at the sky, Karmeut lightly clicked his tongue. I pretty much knew what he was thinking.

As if to prove that I am not human, the pregnancy period was one year. Things were different in many ways.

And since it had been two full months since I’ve laid the egg, it was understandable that he's anxious.

[We are the first. A first that no one has ever experienced.]

“......Yes, it is.”

He let out a long sigh and suddenly turned his head at an approaching sound.

"Brother! Sister!"

With the sound of brisk footsteps, Princess Sepia appeared from beyond the garden.

[Welcome, Princess.]

"Don't be so unfamiliar, Sister! Hehe."

Sepia, who came right near me while laughing, looked up at me with her eyes shining. I knew what that gaze meant, so I meekly lowered my head.

With that, Sepia's lips touched my beak before falling away. It was a fluffy, itchy, lovely kiss.

"How's the egg? Not hatching yet?"

[Not yet. Although the heart is beating healthily.]

"I see! I'm glad!"

Sepia, the little lady, clapped her hands and her eyes lit up.

"I hope you are come out soon!"

“I hope so too.”

I laughed lightly at Karmeut’s serious reply.

[Of course, I also want to see my child soon.]

“Sister, can I see the egg?”

[Oh, of course.]

Nodding my head at the innocent but lovely young lady, I rose from my seat. Every time she came to see me, she always looked at the egg, but each time, Sepia always looked at it with her eyes twinkling, as if possessed.

"It's a pretty egg as usual."

Her voice mixed with admiration was always sincere, so I was able to smile happily.

“My dear, my dear. Let's be born soon. Your sis, uh, um, aunt? Want to meet you so much!"

She whispered while stroking the egg for a while. Sepia hurriedly added,

“Mom and Dad are waiting to see you too," as she realized that she wasn't the only one who wanted to see the little one.

"Still sleeping, huh?"

[The can be come out a little late. It’s fine as long as the child come out healthy.]

"I still want to see the little one quickly..."

"I also agree with Rainelle. Above all else, health comes first."

"Brother is always on Sister’s side after all!"

At those words, Karmeut closed his mouth and changed his line-sight. I laughed a little at the exchange between this brother and sister.

"Ah, it's not okay if my sister is away for a long time, it's cold!"

Sepia quickly distanced herself from the egg. After I thanked her by nodding my head at her action, I took my place again in her nest.

"By the way, what are you doing at this hour? Aren’t you supposed to..."

"Ah! I forgot! Hehe, then I'm off!"

As Karmeut was about to say something, Sepia immediately jumped and ran away.

"......ha. Really."

[Please cut her some slack. That's how much she cares about our child.]

"She still has to finish what she has to do."

He answered sternly, but Karmeut's lips softened.

[I think you need to manage you expression first to say that?]

“......Hmmmm.”

I coughed and laughed out loud as he tried hard to harden his expression.

[Still, I'm glad. That this child is so loved.]

"Of course. Whose child is this little one?"

Karmeut, who nodded his head as if it was to be expected, kissed my beak.

"It's our child. You definitely give birth to a lovely child. Since it’s lovely, maybe a daughter."

[This one might also be a brave son.]

After exchanging such words, when our eyes met, we stopped laughing.

“Daughter or son, it doesn’t matter. I hope the little one hatch soon."

[Uh huh, because it's our child, whether it's a son or a daughter, the little one will be pretty and lovely.]

"Yes, that's right. Our child."

***

 

Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us keep our spirit up and get us closer to buying a pc/laptop by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

You can visit too to check out some cute and cool phone wallpapers!

 

 

 

 

Support Me