Monday, May 8, 2023

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 9

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #9

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

Episode 9 Because I have a zashiki-warashi.

 

 

 That day, I prepared more carefully than usual for the dungeon exploration.

 We had a charged stun rod, a slingshot for monsters, a tear spray, and goggle masks that covered the mouth. The tear spray was a powerful bear repellent, and the goggles were in case the wind blows the chemicals back. I also pack other items that might be useful.

 

 Today was the day I planned to finish my first dungeon exploration.

 Luckily, today was also a school vacation. There was plenty of time for trial and error while getting adequate rest.

 I have already spent more than a week on the F-rank dungeon. I had no intention of spending any more time on this dungeon.

 

 Once I clear this dungeon, I also intend to lift the restriction of challenging the dungeon without buying any information about it.

 I have already gained enough experience in tackling unknown dungeons. I plan to get to know various types of enemies and dungeons by going through more and more dungeons.

 

 As I was getting fired up, I saw a shadow coming down from the second floor. It was my sister, Ai.

 She was probably still sleepy, but the way her fluffy chestnut hair swayed was so cute. She had a face like a child actress, and because of her small stature, she was adored like an idol by the neighbors.

 

 My popularity in the neighborhood was not good though.

 What is it that they say, "Even though your sister is so cute...... But don't worry! A man’s face is not everything! Become rich! Then you'll be irresistible! Then Utamaro-kun will be popular too!"

 Are you trying to say that I'm not popular if I don't become rich?! You idiot! Even if you don't tell me... I know...

 

"Fwaaa, good morning......."

“Good morning."

 

 

 While I was wiping away the liquid that surfaced on the corners of my eyes for some reason, Ai greeted me with a mix of yawns.

 Ai sat on the sofa as if she was slumping over, staring at my luggage with a vacant expression, but then she suddenly ran up to me with her eyes shining brightly.

 

"Ah! By any chance, Onii-chan, are you going to the dungeon!?"

"Yeah, I'm going to the dungeon! Today's the day I'm going to finish exploring this one dungeon.”

“I want to go, too! Take me with you, okay?”

 

 Ai was begging adorably, but what she was saying was not funny.

 

“No, no, no, no, no! Of course I can't!”

"Eh, why, why? I want to go there at least once.”

“No one other than adventurers should enter the dungeon. If I bring in civilians, they will confiscate my card.”

 

 It was easy to become an adventurer as long as you have money, but once you became one, the rules were sometimes more strict than you might think. For example, if you brought a non-adventurer into the dungeon or attacked another adventurer, your license would be confiscated and you would never receive it again.

 Therefore, no matter how much my sweet little sister asked me, I could not fulfill her request.

 

"Ah, I want to become an adventurer soon. Then I can brag to everyone in my class."

 

 This thought process ...... she is completely my sister.

 

 The only difference was that Ai was already at the top of her class caste because of her looks and personality.

 

 Brother and sister, how did we become so different....... If I could have a conversation with genes, I would have questioned them for an hour.

 

"Well, it's okay. Right now, Onii-chan is the only one who is an adventurer. To be honest, I really love Onii-chan because you're kind,  I thought you were a little dull. But Onii-chan is cool these days and I'm very satisfied!!"

"Well, thank you."

 

 I chuckled wryly at my younger sister's transparent evaluation.

 Since I used to play with her instead of our parents, who were busy with work, Ai and I were closer than siblings in most families.

 However, as Ai grew older and became interested in clothes and accessories, my sister, whose fashion sense surpassed my own at elementary school, gradually began to give her brother subtle glances.

 

 I was taking it easy on her, thinking, "Maybe it's time for Ai to grow apart from her older brother," but it seems that she was simply disappointed by my dullness.

 

 A woman is a woman, even if she is small.

 

 But now that I have become an adventurer, she said herself, "My brother is amazing after all!”

 My initial goal of rising in my class caste did not go as planned, but at least I seemed to have improved a little in my family caste.

 

"Oops, is it that late already? I'd better get going."

“Good luck!

 

 My sister saw me off and I hurried out of the house.

 

 

 

 

 

 After a week of continuous visits to the dungeon, the dungeon stroll to the lowest floor went extremely smoothly.

 

 The adventurer's app on my phone contained a map of the places we had explored so far, as well as various other information.

 By taking the shortest route while avoiding enemies as much as possible, we were able to reach the stairs leading to the lowest floor with almost no wear and tear.

 

“......Roughly five hours, I guess.”

 

 I muttered to myself as I looked at my watch in front of the stairs leading to the lowest floor.

 

 Even though it was a road that I'd trekked many times, there was something about it that makes me think that a road that took a week to be trekked can be completed in a few hours.

 

 Three days at the most, or one day if everything goes smoothly. That was how long it takes to conquer the F-rank dungeon.

 

 I didn't understand it when I was just groping my way through the dungeon, but I see that knowing the map and the enemies makes it so much easier to attack the dungeon.

 

 After all, was it a strange commitment to conquer the dungeon only by my own power for the first time? If I had bought information from the guild from the beginning,...... wasn't I just wasting my time?

 ......No, that's not true. Because I have come this far with my own strength, there should be something called experience that will live on in the future.

 

 I told myself that, then I put down my bag and turned back to Coosie and Zashiki-warashi.

 

“Okay, let's take a short break before entering the bottom floor.”

“Yes!”

“Ah, I'm tired. Hurry up and give me sweets. Sweets---”

“You're not working hard, are you?"

 

 While saying that, I handed sweets to Zashiki-warashi.

 

 Well, just once, just this once. And it’s not like she doesn’t do anything at all along the way......

 

 Today's sweets were the limited-time strawberry mousse from the convenience store above.

 It was a bit of a luxury item, costing 500 yen each even though it was a size that could be eaten in two bites.

 

“Hmm, the harmony of sourness and sweetness. It melts on the tongue. ......What a delicious taste! Call the chef!”

 

 Seeing her spouting stupid things, I thought she was influenced by the gourmet manga I lent her the other day, or maybe she was just a little kid.

 Leaving the silly kid alone, I also took a bite of the mousse in my mouth.

 

 Mmm, this is definitely delicious. It's a level that can't be thought of as a convenience store item.

 

 ...Once you get used to it, being an adventurer isn't so bad.

 Well, it's exhausting both physically and mentally to carry heavy luggage and move around the dungeon where monsters roam for hours

 The three cards I rely on are all difficult to deal with: doesn't listen, inflexible, and cowardly.

 

 For all the talk on TV about high income and high earnings, the income I have earned so far had been about 10,000 yen at most, and I didn't think it was worth all the hard work.

 I didn't make it to the top of my class caste, which was important, and to be honest, I'm not happy about it.

 I was not able to make it to the top of my class caste, which is the most important thing, and to be honest, I'm full of dissatisfaction.

 

 ……But at the same time, it was also true that I felt a sense of fulfillment that I had never experienced before in my life.

 

 It isn't as life-threatening as I had initially assumed. Ghouler is gradually becoming more capable of fighting, Coosie is cute as a pet, and the way the impertinent Zashiki-warashi is obsessed with sweets like this is quite charming---

 

“Hey, Blockhead. I'm finished eating this one, give me another.”

 

 --- No, I don't think she's charming after all. I'm just being cheeky.

 

 I instantly came to my senses and stood up with a sigh.

 

“There’s no more. Come on, break's over. Let's go.”

“What the hell, you're so cold. That's what poor people do.”

“I'm going to beat you up.”

 

 As we were exchanging such casual remarks, Coosie said to me timidly,

 

"Um, I'm... that…"

“Ah, yeah. I know, I know. I'll switch you here with Ghouler. Good job.”

“Oh, yes. Thank you.”

 

 I patted Coosie’s head, who thanked me with a relieved expression, and then switched her with Ghouler.

 

“Ghouler, are you ready?”

“Yes, Master.”

“Good.”

 

 Finally, the bottom floor.

 

 An adventurer who has not conquered a single dungeon is not an adventurer.

 

 I would finally take my first step as an adventurer.

 I stepped into the lowest level with great enthusiasm.

 

“......!”

 

 At that moment, the air suddenly changed, sending shivers down my spine.

 The surroundings, which until then had the atmosphere of a summer forest, suddenly changed into something dark and cold.

 It was not that the weather inside the dungeon had changed. It was simply that the trees in the forest had become thicker and denser, blocking out the sun's rays. Because of that, it got darker than before, and the temperature dropped.

 

 While I was thinking like this ......, I felt an indescribable sense of incongruity.

 

 The darkening can be explained. But what is this chill that clings to me? Why has the vegetation, which had remained unchanged, change now? And what is this sewer-like stench that I can faintly smell since a few minutes ago ......?

 Is ...... this really an extension of the dungeon we were in earlier?

 

 Maybe we should retreat for once.

 

 Thinking about it instinctively rather than logically, I turned around and my eyes widened.

 

"A, the stairs...!"

 

 The stairs we had just descended from. The staircase, it was completely gone.......

 

 What does this mean? Could it be because this is the lowest floor? Is it that once you enter the lowest floor, you can't return home without defeating the Boss? No, I have never heard of such a thing. On the contrary, I have heard many times of people withdrawing from the dungeon because they did not think they could beat the Boss.

 If that is the case, this is not a specification of the dungeon as a whole. It's a phenomenon unique to this dungeon.

 Oh, shit. I knew I should have checked this out beforehand! If I had known that it was impossible to retreat, I would have never come to this dungeon!

 

 As I was regretting this, I felt a firm grip on my shoulder. A small hand. It's Zashiki-warashi.

 

"Hey, get a hold of yourself! You've noticed, haven't you? This place isn't normal."

"Oh, yeah."

 

 I nodded curtly, thinking ...... how this kid would say something like that to make me feel better.

 

“...... Shit, I didn't expect the stairs to disappear. If I had known, I never would have picked this place in the first place."

 

 Zashiki-warashi frowned suspiciously at my words.

 

“Ah? What are you talking about?  There's no way you'll be able to detect a boss who can isolate a floor from the beginning. Seriously, get a grip, or you’ll die.”

 

 ......? What the hell? What the hell is this kid talking about?

 

 “Oh man, are you still confused? I can tell you’re not thinking straight. Calm down and think carefully.”

 

 First of all, what did Zashiki-warashi say? Unn, she said something about the boss, not the dungeon, right? This means that this is a phenomenon caused by the boss, not by the dungeon itself.

 

 But the master of the dungeon basically doesn't change. Some types of dungeons randomly change each time the boss gets defeated, but that is a characteristic of the dungeon rather than a characteristic of the boss. And this is not such a special type of dungeon.

 Zashiki-warashi said, "There's no way you'll be able to detect a boss who can isolate a floor from the beginning,” In other words, this is not a normal dungeon boss——

 

 As soon as I thought of this, I felt the hairs on my body stand on end.

 

“This, this is the [Walking-alone Reaper (irregular encounter)]......!

 

 An irregular encounter. It was an accident of sorts that shone as the number one cause of death for adventurers.

 In the dungeon, there were unique monsters that roam throughout all the dungeons. They have the habit of feeding on the original dungeon boss, taking over the said dungeon, and waiting patiently for their prey to arrive.

 It was said that it was impossible to be noticed from outside, and it was only when you step into the lowest floor of the dungeon like this that you will find out. It could come to you at any time, a completely unexpected misfortune ....... Hence, accidents.

 

 Irregular encounters were not invincible monsters. Their fighting power was suppressed to be appropriate for the dungeon in which they appear, and they had been defeated many times in the past. Bounties were also placed on them, and once they appear, they will remain there until they were defeated, so there were even bounty hunters who seek out irregular encounters.

 

 For adventurers who encounter them unexpectedly, however, irregular encounters truly mean the grim reaper.

 Because even though their combat power was suppressed, their skills were not restricted in any way.

 

---All of the irregular encounters have A-rank class skills.

 

 In the past, during the time of Angolmore, irregular encounters also made their appearance.

 They can only be described as hell......

 The [Little Match Girl], who appeared in France, drove a whole city to death in a hallucination.

 In India, [Urashima Taro1] transformed thousands of innocent boys and girls into old people, and all the adults died of old age.

 In Japan, [Frog Prince] appeared, and those who saw it had iron bands burst from inside their chests, dying a cruel death like a dissected frog.

 Tragedy was always a part of Angolmore, but the terror and tragedy brought about by irregular encounters were different in quantity and quality.

 

 And.

 I am now.

 I am in a cage set up by such a monster.

 

“---!”

 

 I almost fell unconscious before I came back to myself.

 

 Oh...... that was close. I almost fainted just now. But if I faint here, it will be the end.

 ......! That's right!

 

 I hurriedly took out my adventurer's license.

 The card was not just an ID card. It was a kind of magical equipment, and in case of emergency, the license allows you to send a rescue request to the guild. Of course, it costs a certain amount of money, but now was not the time to spare it.

 I tried to send a distress signal...

 

"Damn it! It's not working! It won’t reach!"

 

 I slammed the license to the ground.

 

 Damn it! Not only are the stairs gone, but the whole space is isolated---!

 Oh, shit, what should I do?

 

I scratched my head.

 

‘If push came to shove, I could ask the guild for help’...... even though I had dived into the dungeon with that in mind......!

 

 I felt like my only lifeline had been removed

 

 The Zashiki-warashi quietly admonished me, who was cornered,

 

“Hey, for the time being, call Coosie instead of Ghouler. It's more reassuring to have a spotter now.”

“Oh, yeah, right.”

 

 With a trembling hand, I took out Coosie's card and called her out, changing place with Ghouler.

 Coosie appeared, looking around with a dazed look on her face,

 

“Ma, Master. Wha, what is this?”

"It's an ...... irregular encounter. Use your nose to find the enemy right away.”

“Yes, Sir!”

 

 Coosie started sniffing at my slack-jawed words, then her eyes widened in shock.

 

“Th- over there! There's a scent other than us!"

“What?!”

 

 Zashiki-warashi immediately shot a light bullet in that direction.

 

"...... A rat?"

 

 There was a rat. The size was quite large. About as big as a prairie dog. However, its face was that of a hideous rat, without a shred of cuteness.

 

"...... This isn't the irregular encounter, is it?"

"Damn right, it’s not. It should be a vassal. This is bad, this kind of monster will spring up inexhaustibly. No matter how many times you defeat it, it won't end."

 

 Zashiki-warashi pointed at the rat. It was struck by a light bullet and became a corpse. The stench was so unbearable that I wondered if its entrails had rotted away.

 

 Could this be the source of the smell in the forest? If so, how many of them are there...... all over the forest?

 

“Ugh, then, then we should move forward for now, right? After all, if we don't defeat them, we can't go home.......”

 

 Zashiki-warashi did not make any comment on my trembling words.

 

 

 For a while, we proceeded through the dungeon under the guidance of Coosie.

 The rats that occasionally appeared were killed by Zashiki-warashi. She was cooperating with us now without any reward. I was relieved from the bottom of my heart.

 

"Master, Master..... I can smell blood…”

“What?”

 

*Thump*

My heart jumped.

 

“Where did it come from?”

“Uh, over there.”

 

 Coosie pointed to the trees in the forest that formed the walls of the dungeon. As we approached fearfully, I saw .......

 

“...... Ugh!"

 

 I put my hand over my mouth and groaned.

 What was there was the corpse of a child who had been dismembered. A blonde-haired Caucasian boy of about ten years old. His young, freckled face was contorted with fear and pain.

 The iron smell of blood and the indescribable odor of internal organs filled my nose.

 First of all, it was an object of poor taste, though probably not a real one.

 

 I sighed deeply at the depressing sight.

 

“......This is a real corpse,"

 Zashiki-warashi frowned and said.

 

"...... What?"

“There is no doubt about it. I know. And ...... what the hell, this kid ...... still has his soul trapped in here.”

"...........................”

 

 I slowly processed her words.

 

No, no, that's funny. Uh, no, that's not funny. Even if a child was to wander into the dungeon, they'd be immediately recognized and it would be all over the news. Besides, this is Japan. This kid is a foreigner, isn't he? This is an imitation from the dungeon. It's a stunt to scare off adventurers.

 

 I was so convinced. Zashiki-warashi looked down at me with a gloomy expression.

 

“...... Angolmore."

“Huh?”

“It's Angolmore. That's what you call it, isn't it? This must be the catch of that time. They take it home and use it as a trophy.”

"Angolmore… you say? Do you know how long it's been since the last one......?"

 

 After I said that, Zashiki-warashi pointed at the sun.

 

The sun is still rising.

 

“Time does not pass in the dungeon.”

 

 She said so briefly.

 

"Uh......."

 

 Oh, my God, my eyes are ....... The world is spinning around. I don't understand anything. Where am I now? In the forest? Why am I in the forest? Oh, I see, I'm an adventurer now. Well, what's this?

 That's right. It's a corpse. A real person from some other country.

 Our eyes met. The boy is talking to me.

“I don’t want to die----“

 

"...... Uh, ugh, hoekkk!"

 

 I vomited.

 Twice, three times. I vomited everything out as if my stomach was turned upside down.

 The strange smell of the vomit and the dead body mingled together, and it brought more nausea. I kept vomiting over and over again, with tears streaming down my face, until my internal organs began to peristalsis and I felt as if my stomach itself was about to be expelled from my body.

 

 Worried, Coosie kept rubbing my back.

 When the nausea subsided after a while ......, Zashiki-warashi offered me a plastic bottle of water.

 

"Have a drink. My treat.”

“............I’m the one who bought it, though?"

 

 Zashiki-warashi laughed fearlessly when I received the plastic bottle while muttering so in a hoarse voice.

 

 "Oh, you are feeling better now? That's why you’re my master."

 

 You impertinent brat. ....... Nn? What did she say about me just now?

 

"Now then, what are you going to do? If you want, I can go beat him by myself this time.”

“Wha, what’s with you today? How should I put it…”

 

 I was confused by the unexpected words and the cooperative appearance of Zashiki-warashi, who was completely different from usual.

 The child laughed pleasantly, not seeming to mind. Unlike her usual nasty smile, it was a refreshing smile appropriate for her age.

 

 

"In place of the shaky Master, I'll face a strong enemy by myself! There's no way I won't get a reward with this!"

 

 And so, I was made aware of the inevitable.

 

 This kid ...... Oh, that's what she’s been on about. Oh, my God!

 You're trying to cheer me up?! You little shitbag?! You're trying to ...... for me?!

 

 My heart grew hot, and my vision became cloudy, so I hurriedly looked down.

 I can't let her see my crying face. ......

 I pretended to rub my eyes to wipe away the tears, then I stood up with trembling legs.

 

"... If you do that, I have to buy an unthinkable amount of sweets. There aren't that many sweets in this town."

"Well, then what are you going to do?"

“I'll come with you, and we'll go on as usual.”

"That's a pity. It was the perfect opportunity to bankrupt the master I hate."

“You can't bankrupt me.”

"What?"

 

 She was waiting for my next words with amusement, and I proudly puffed out my chest.

 

"Because I have a zashiki-warashi."

 

[Tips] Irregular Encounters

 A special monster that is always only one in the entire dungeons. They have the habit of eating the original dungeon boss and hunting adventurers who come to the dungeon without knowing it. They are feared by adventurers because while their fighting strength is commensurate with the dungeon, their skills are not weakened. They appear completely at random regardless of the dungeon's rank, and once you set foot on the deepest floor, you must defeat the irregular encounters to return alive.

 Irregular encounters tend to appear mainly in low-rank dungeons, as the number of dungeons decreases with higher the rank, just like cards. As a result, many rookies are the victims of irregular encounters, so they are also known as ‘rookie killers’.

 It should be noted that there are no reported cases of irregular encounters being successfully made into cards.

 

***

 Translator(s) note: We might continue to change the schedule to Monday since we are still unable to get it back on Saturday... 


Notes:

The protagonist of a Japanese fairy tale (otogi banashi), who in a typical modern version is a fisherman rewarded for rescuing a turtle, and carried on its back to the Dragon Palace (Ryūgū-jō) beneath the sea. There he is entertained by the princess Otohime as a reward. He spends what he believes to be several days with the princess, but when he returns to his home village, he discovers he has been gone for at least 100 years. When he opens the forbidden jewelled box (tamatebako), given to him by Otohime on his departure, he turns into an old man.

 



Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us keep our spirit up and get us closer to buying a pc/laptop by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

You can visit too to check out some cute and cool phone wallpapers!

 

 

 

 

 

Support Me