Thursday, January 18, 2024

[LN] PAS : Volume 1 Chapter 6.1


Volume 1 Chapter 6.1

Citrus Magic, Sequins, and the Glitter of Counterfeit Coins Part 1



Translator : PolterGlast



Three days had passed since an unexpected situation arose in <Chase Tag>.

Jin won eight points by skillfully manipulating his opponent's mind. It seemed to be a rather modest victory, and Jin, who was standing in front of the deserted fountain, did not seem to be in a state of agitation as he talked about his next plans.

 

"The <Practical Exam> is held every other week, and the content changes each month. So, next time, we have to do the <Chase Tag> again, where there is no room for trickery. Well, since you can pick your opponent, I guess you have plenty of leeway."

"As I told you earlier, Bennett has his eye fixed on you. How are you going to fight against such a monster?"

"Oh, are you that worried?"

"Gosh, it's nothing like that! You're still as relaxed as ever......"

"But it sure is a little embarrassing having a beautiful woman like you worried about me."

"H-Haa!? What are you saying all of a sudden!?"

"Heh, you look so cute even when you're mad. Have you changed your makeup recently?"

"Hey, stop it! I don't have any tolerance for that kind of thing!

"......Well, let's put the silly jokes aside and get back to the main topic."

"Haaaa!?"

 

She couldn't help but feel so pathetic that she blushed.

Seeing Nina, who was about to cry in anger, Jin muttered something to himself mixed with sighs.

 

"Don't worry, I was planning to clash against Bennett at some point. It's just that my plan has been accelerated a little bit. I had already devised a plan to trap him before he even enrolled."

"Before he enrolled? ...... You're bluffing again, aren't you?"

"Don't you dare underestimate my preparations. It's essential to take measures for those who are exempted from the entrance exam."

"......Eh, don't tell me, are you planning to fight against the other four as well?"

"In the worst-case scenario, yes. Well, I'd like to limit it to two or three."

"What's that, a prophecy? It's kind of shady."

"I'm just making a plan based on a number of predictions. You're making it sound like it's someone else's problem, but Nina, you're part of the plan as well, you know."

"Ugh, that's true......."

 

In contrast to Nina, who was almost trembling with fear, Jin was smiling fearlessly. As though there is nothing in the world worth fearing.

What kind of life does one have to lead to become such a crazed gambler?

How did Jin acquire such advanced skills of deception?

Why did he choose to end up in a place like this?

Anxious about the struggle for survival and Bennett's offers... Nina is conflicted between various issues, but she cannot advance unless she uncovers what Jin is hiding from her.

 

"Well, tomorrow is a holiday, so you can get some rest. Don't let your fatigue build up and render your acting sloppy."

"Jin, I hope you don't think of me like I'm one of your subordinates."

 

Nina clenched her fists while her mouth was pouting.

This is an opportunity. It's now or never to put that plan into action.

 

"Do you have any plans for tomorrow, Jin?"

"Aa, nothing in particular. What about you, Nina?"

"I'm thinking of going into town to do some shopping. Disguise stuff, you know, that sort of thing."

"Hmm. I don't really familiar with that, so I'll leave it to you."

"............No, that's not what I meant."

 

Do I have to tell him myself?

As soon as she became aware of this, she felt a heat rising in the depths of her body.

She hates to be misunderstood, but this is also to uncover Jin's secret.

 

"You see, umm...... let's go together."

"Huh?"

"L-Look! There might be some heavy luggage! You're my accomplice, so you could at least help me with that, right?"

"Eeh~ ...... what a hassle."

"I-Isn't it fine just for this once? You don't have anything to do anyway."

"Why do you want me to come so badly? Well, I guess it can't be helped then."

"Y-You're being too self-conscious, you know!?"

"Alright, alright. You're at an age when you can't be honest."

"H-Haaaaaaaaa!?"

 

No more. The more I talk, the more likely I will be exposed.

Nina shifted her mind and decided to think only about how to interrogate him.

 

 

Although it had been more than two weeks since she had been here, Nina had never ventured outside the school grounds. And due to family circumstances, she had never used public transportation other than the steam train. Slightly nervous, she sat on a bench at the bus stop and waited.

What should I do if I'm misunderstood in a strange way.......

Nina's head was filled with embarrassment and anxiety.

She asked him out on the spur of the moment, but would this qualify as a [date]? The truth is, this is a plan to uncover Jin's secret, but there is no way of telling him that.

In any case, any careless remark would be fatal to Jin, who has a twisted nature. If he thought she had a crush on him, she would never know what he might do to her. That man is a fiend.

As she waited, clutching the strap of her bag, she finally saw Jin just as the bus was about to depart.

 

"Gosh, you're late. Even though it's not that early."

"Don't worry. The local buses are never on time."

 

His calm and somewhat optimistic attitude was typical of him. Although it hadn't been that long since she met him, she began to understand Jin's personality a little better.

Jin mumbled, not bothering to hide his yawn.

 

"But it's a little surprising. I can't believe you asked me out on a date."

"I'm not! Don't make things up!"

"But you see..."

"Y-You were so insistent on asking me out, so I just took you up on your offer!"

"Nina-san, I think your defense is a little too desperate."

"I-I feel sorry for you, so I'll go out with you. It's just for today, you hear me?"

"......Alright, alright, that's enough."

 

As they climbed into the bus, which arrived 10 minutes late, Jin smiled at her wryly.

 

"Besides, I know you wanted me to come here for a reason. Am I right? I totally get it."

 

If you say it like that in your usual work mode, that would piss me off.

Nina followed suit, shaking off the thought that suddenly popped into her head.

As soon as they entered the bus, Jin did not hesitate to take a seat in the last row. Come to think of it, he always sat in the back row even in the classroom.

When she asked why, Jin looked out the window and muttered.

 

"Because I can see everything better when I'm in the back."

"This is the first time I've ever heard someone say that observing people is a hobby."

"Well, it's kind of an occupational hazard, after all."

 

The conversation was cut off there, but the words [occupational hazard] did not escape her ears.

Every time she asked him about his past, she would be misled by some random topic, but it was certainly hard to believe that he had led a normal life as an ordinary student.

Perhaps he really is──.

 

"Are you two going on a date to the town down at the foothills?"

"......Eh~ah~!?"

 

Nina almost jumped when the elderly woman sitting in front of her suddenly spoke to her.

 

"N-No, we don't have that kind of a relationship."

"We are siblings who have been separated by birth", Jin said, helping her out. "We were reunited by chance at the Academy for Psychic......."

"Ara~, I didn't know such a miracle existed."

"We're surprised ourselves."

 

Nina had never seen such a suspicious smile before in her life.

 

"We are on our way to see our parents, arguing over who was born first."

 

Nina couldn't help but be amazed at Jin, who lied as if he was breathing, but the woman who was being deceived nodded her head in satisfaction. At this, Nina had no choice but to smile and nod.

After getting off at a bus stop in the center of town, she decided to point it out.

 

"Do you always tell such meaningless lies? It's okay though, because it didn't harm anyone."

"It was you who improvised and added that perfect touch, though. You did a great job of conveying the feeling of looking forward to seeing our parents again."

"Ah, that was a reflex ......."

"Haha, we're both severely screwed, aren't we?"

 

They couldn't help but laugh in dismay at themselves as their lies were ingrained in the very core of their bodies.

The main street of the town of Akkas is lined with stalls displaying foodstuffs, clothing, and other items.

There was one stall that displayed vegetables two times larger than the others. Following the sign with their eyes, it seemed that the products were procured from a person with a psychic ability to accelerate the growth of plants. Across the street was a repairman, advertising that he could make even the most broken pots and pans look as good as new with the help of a psychic he knew.

This was a sight Nina had never seen before.

 

"So Psychics are even involved in these stalls, huh?"

"If you take a look outside the Heiberg School, there are plenty of psychics who can be put to good use in industry. Haven't you ever heard the saying, [If there is even one psychic in the family, there is no way the family will go hungry]?

"Hee. It's a great learning experience to see this kind of thing in person."

"It's all well and good to be impressed, but don't we have to go shopping for disguise stuff?"

"......Ah, that reminds me..."

"See, I knew it, you invited me was just an excuse."

"N-N-No, you're wrong! It wasn't because I wanted to go on a date or anything of the sort......"

"Nina, where did your genius acting skills go?"

"Ugh......"

 

Her initial plan was to make it a fun date to make Jin drop his guard and tell her his secret.

Yet, here she is. Because she is not immune to this kind of thing, she feels embarrassed to play her role. It was at this moment that she realized her fatal weakness.

She shouldn't have done anything that didn't suit her.

She should just behave as usual, as a mere accomplice.

 

"I-I've had enough of those disguise things! Let's just stroll around the city."

"No matter how I look at you, you seem to be nervous. I know you're up to something."

"Stop making false accusations. Come on, let's go!"

 

Nina hastily ended the conversation and started walking towards the crowd.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

Aiden Elliott

Marvin Sanchez

Matthew Shuler

Swagaraga


[Gold]

Godman gaming


[Silver]

Adrian Betancourt

ArUnInAcTiOn

CoolmanMTD

Glasses Kun

Nazmun Saikat

Thiago Leite Denedai


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Creris

Ctdela

Curious Panda

Duncan Rodgers

Freyja Bjarnadóttir

Muzic Yasko


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----


<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>


Support Me