Monday, March 11, 2024

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 53

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #53

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

Episode 53: Hey, You Know That Scary Story About The Cursed Card? (2)

 

 

 

"What......?"

 

The rescue caller is running away? No way,......, is it the Hound Master?! No, it doesn't matter even if it's not! Anyway, we must hurry!

 

"Let's head there right away! No, Yuki, you can go ahead of us! We will catch up with you soon."

 

"Yes!"

 

 Yuki left the scene, and I contacted Anna and Oribe.

 

"This is Kitagawa, we've spotted the presence of the rescue caller. It appears they are being chased by another adventurer!"

 

"! Copy that! Where is the location?"

 

"...... wait a second."

 

 I responded, comparing the information from my Link with Yuki to the map app on my phone.

 

"It's 9-6 on map 4! Moving southwest!"

 

"Roger that! I'm on my way! ......If by any chance it is the Hound Master, please avoid combat if at all possible. If necessary, evacuate immediately......"

 

"......Got it."

 

 I hesitated for a moment, then nodded.

 

 Only the user and their cards can escape with the emergency evacuation magic item.....

 

 Anna was saying that in the event of an emergency, we should abandon the person requesting rescue and run away.

 

 I nodded my head in agreement, but I wasn't sure if I could actually abandon the caller and flee immediately.

 

 However, if that situation actually happened, I might have run away without a second thought...

 

 I didn't know what I would do until that time came.

 

Master, I'm about to make contact with them. ...... Do you want me to transform into werewolf form?

 

......No, don't.

 

 I thought about Yuki's suggestion for a moment and rejected it.

 

 By transforming into werewolf form, Yuki can dramatically increase her combat power, but at the same time, there was the disadvantage of not being able to use some of the [Advanced Ninjutsu].

 

 Not all of them would become unusable, but some particularly useful techniques, such as the art of transformation and the clone technique, would become unusable.

 

 This was the reason why I did not have Yuki transform in the battle against Sunahara.

 

 The werewolf form of the lycanthrope was an ability to discard all of the human form's dexterity and devote it to melee combat.

 

Anyway, it's time to use synchronization.

 

Yes!

 

 I closed my eyes and overlapped myself with Yuki. When I opened my eyes, I was Yuki and Yuki was me.

 

 I ran across the winding path at a speed that could overtake even a racing car with ease.

 

 Neither obstacles nor high structures mattered to this body. I can run just like it was even ground.

 

 This was not only due to the high capability of this body, but also to the power of [Advanced Ninjutsu].

 

 The art of transformation and the various jutsu are not the only ninjutsu. The taijutsu1 in which one can draw out their full extent of agility was also a clear example of ninjutsu.

 

 At that moment, a faint voice reached Yuki's ears,

 

 ----Haa-haa-haa, what's the matter with you! Suddenly attacking......!

 

 A young woman's voice. This must be the one who called for help. I felt something familiar about that voice, but that sense of déjà vu was dispelled when I heard the next voice,

 

 ---- Haha, great shot. It's a waste indeed, to just taking cards and kill. At least I should have a taste once,.......

 

  A tingle bubbled up my spine. Thoughts spun rapidly.

 

....Take cards and kill?! Hey, this guy, no way..... ?!

 

 I sped up my pace and ran through the path like the wind.

 

 What I saw at the corner was a woman who looked like the rescue caller lying on the ground and a young man with blonde hair pinning her.

 

 Before the lizardman and boar orc standing beside them could look back at me, Yuki's right foot slipped past and kicked the man hard.

 

 It was an all-out blow that utilized the momentum of running. The man, who flew like a bullet, bounded around the walls and floor like a pinball, and finally came to a halt, after he slammed into a wall as if crucified.

 

"...Gah!?"

 

 A beat later, the man's monster cards vomited blood violently. The lizardmen Lost directly, and the boar orc fell to its knees.

 

 Even the lizardmen and boar orc, with their superior vitality and sturdiness, seemed unable to take all of the damage that would have killed a man many times over. Still, one remained, which was to be expected.

 

Ah, gah… wha, t!?”

 

 Ignoring the man's voice of confusion, I turned to the woman who was being attacked.

 

 In terms of time, I shouldn't have the luxury......, but when I looked at the woman's face,  I was so astonished that I almost unintentionally released the synchro.

 

"H, uh?"

 

 The woman's, no, the girl's mouth was open and she looked flustered...  I knew her face well.

 

......Shinomiya-san! What are you doing here?!

 

 I was about to ask that question, but then I stopped myself.

 

 Right now, I have to deal with this man first.

 

 When I turned around, I saw the man had recovered from his confusion and was glaring at me with hatred.

 

 He was about 20 years old...... He had short, faded blond hair, piercings, and tattoos on his arms,......at first glance, he gave the impression of a playboy. That lighter atmosphere was too different compared to the master's presence that I felt from that Anubis.

 

So, he's not the Hound Master after all. The cards he uses are lizardman and boar orc.

 

But there is a good chance that he is an associate of the Hound Master. A colleague? A subordinate? ...... Is he a low-level guy, considering the fact that a rescue call was sent as well as his thoughtlessness?

 

 I thought for a moment and decided to transform Yuki into werewolf form.

 

[Advanced Ninjutsu] will be harder to use, but if the Hound User adheres to using dog-type cards, then......!

 

 My heart beat so strongly that it hurt, and energy swelled from within so much that my body felt like it was going to burst. It was no illusion, and the body expanded rapidly to prove it. The skeleton deformed with a rumbling sound, and rustling, glossy fur covered the entire body.......

 

"Ugh, gu......!"

 

 The synchro Link was about to be broken by this inhuman sensation, but I desperately tried to hold it together.

 

 After enduring the sensation of trudging through a raging storm which lasted for a brief seconds, but felt like several minutes, I suddenly felt a sense of exhilaration as if the weather had cleared up.

 

 The transformation was complete. Synchronization was also stable.

 

 I asked the man, who was astonished by the sudden transformation,

 

"......Oi, what the hell are you doing?"

 

"Ah, wha...... a lycanthrope, no way?!"

 

 At my question, no, at the sight of a lycanthrope, the man was clearly shaken, making me more confident.

 

As I thought, this guy knows Hound Master......!

 

What should I ask next? Think of questions that will elicit as much information as possible and will not raise any doubts...

 

"......Were there ever any orders to do this?"

 

How about that! There has been no sexual victimization of any of the previous victims. So this is most likely this guy's sole initiative! From the perspective of the Hound Master who was so excellent at covering his tracks, there is no way they would condone such an act that could lead to this kind of identification!

 

"Ah, no...!"

 

 The man was now in a state of complete panic.

 

"I'm sorry! I was watching for the target to dive into the dungeon as you said, but it turned out that she is an amazing type of woman, so I.....!"

 

......!!!

 

I see, this guy was acting as a lookout!

 

 Perhaps the setup was for a lowly guy like this guy to report back to the Hound Mater as to which dungeon the target entered.

 

Good, it seems that this guy is not very smart, is he?

 

 To begin with, when a rescue call was sent and other adventurers were on their way to the rescue, the fact that he was leisurely trying to rape her showed that he was a pretty stupid guy.

 

..... No, well maybe he doesn't realize that a rescue request has been sent out?

 

 Rescue requests issued by the license can also be rejected.

 

 The alarm sound was quite loud, so if it rings late at night, it would normally be annoying, and people who have no intention of going to any rescue in the first place, tend to keep turning it off all the time. I also turned it off before I went to bed or while I was at school, although sometimes I forgot to turn it off.

 

 But still, he was an idiot.

 

 Above all, when he doesn't have a gremlin ready to go like the Hound Master, there was no point in discussing it.

 

 But it would be understandable that if this guy was just a lookout, they wouldn't distribute gremlins to such lowly lackeys......

 

 Convinced that this guy was an idiot, I decided to ask a more in-depth question,

 

" ...... Don't mess around! Tell me what order I gave you!"

 

 However, the moment I asked that question, the man's complexion changed.

 

"..... Huh? Me2? You, are a guy?! You're not that person?!"

 

"!?"

 

 The man became alarmed at once and took out a card from his pocket.

 

The Hound Mater is a woman......?!

 

"Come! Anubis!"

 

"Wha-?!"

 

This guy also has Anubis! No way! How much leeway do they have to hand out B-rank card to such a lowly underling?!

 

 But what appeared was unmistakably Anubis, and the man grinned like a victorious man.

 

"...Tsk!"

 

 I clicked my tongue and jumped out from the corner where I was hiding.

 

 In fact, I had already arrived here during our conversation so far.

 

"Shinomiya-san!"

 

Marocchi!? Why are you here!?”

 

 I grabbed the astonished girl without answering any questions and put her on Dragonet.

 

 If a fight with a B-rank card broke out, she would be caught in the middle of it. As expected, I couldn't afford to fight while protecting her.

 

 However, the situation changed further here.

 

"---Senpai!" "I heard about the situation through my badge, you did a great job!”

 

"Anna! Oribe!"

 

 The two who had split up had come together.

 

 And they were on opposite sides of me, with the man in between us.

 

 The timing and position could not be a coincidence.

 

 They were hiding because they had heard the conversation between the man and me, which was being relayed via the badges!

 

"Wha!"

 

 The man, who suddenly found himself in a predicament with his escape route blocked, looked anxiously at Anna and the others while comparing them with me.

 

 Behind him were three C-rank cards: an Elf, a Pegasus, and a Tsuchigumo. In front, there was a Lycanthrope and a Dragonet.

 

"...... Anubis! Kick that lycanthrope over there as fast as you can and help me escape!"

 

 Naturally, the man chose my side. The only way for this guy to escape under the circumstances was to force his way through our meager side.

 

 .......But.

 

"Anubis! What are you doing, hurry up!"

 

 For some reason, the Anubis didn't move. It calmly looked between us and the man who was its master......

 

"......Unavoidable, huh?"

 

 With a small mutter, it leapt for the man's head.

 

""! ! ! ! ?""

 

 We could do nothing but watch in disbelief as the man's head flew through the air with an expression of not knowing what was happening.

 

 It was a sight that even experienced adventurers, or rather the most experienced adventurers, could not believe themselves......

 

 I felt the world I had believed to be absolute was crumbling away with a resounding crash.

 

No way......! A card should not be able to harm its own master no matter what ......

 

Is it actually not this guy's card? No, I did see this guy summon it with my own eyes. Did the real master remotely summon it as he did it? That is also impossible. A card can only be summoned at hand, not from a distance.

 

 The man's head fell to the ground in front of my confused eyes. At that moment, Anubis and the Boar Orc, whose existence had been totally forgotten, spurted blood from their necks and became Lost.

 

 Feedback of damages to the cards. It was proof that these two cards were the man's cards.

 

"......Kya, kyaaaaaaaaa!!"

 

 Then a high-pitched scream cut through the silence. The screamer was Shinomiya-san.

 

 Unlike me, Anna, and Oribe, she was just a regular high school girl. It was understandable that she panicked at the sudden bloodshed.

 

 But we had no time to comfort her.

 

 The scene before our eyes betrayed the belief we had in the absolute safety of monster cards....., and none of us could say anything.

 

 Eventually, Anna whispered to herself,

 

"...... Cursed, card."

 

 It was an urban legend that had been circulating for some time.

 

 A strange card I got in a dungeon one day. A strange card that had somehow slipped into my pocket. A super-cheap card that a mysterious woman on a street corner forced me to buy. ......

 

 The introductions to the stories vary, but the process and the ending were all the same:

 Those who acquire the cursed card are struck with various misfortunes, and in the end, they are killed by the card .......

 

 This urban legend, which came to be spread along with the adventurer boom, was said to have been born out of a vague fear of dungeons and cards, both of which were unknown.

 

 But what if it wasn't a silly urban legend, but a true story?

 

 Among the stories about cursed cards, there was one about a man who was manipulated by the card to become a killer who attacked his family and acquaintances......

 

 Being manipulated by cards... that was a feeling I remember myself...

 

"No......!"

 

 I shook off the doubts that had crossed my mind.

 

However, Renge and Suzuka's cards are exactly like cursed cards...

 

"...... Hey! W, wha, what is this?! C, could it be,  you guys did this?!"

 

 Then, adventurers who had also come in response to the rescue requests arrived.

 

 As they stared at us with horror, I thought to myself, ‘I think I'm going to be in a lot of trouble now......’ as if it were someone else's problem.

 

 

 

 

[Tips] Rumors of Cursed Cards

 --This is an excerpt from a certain occult thread:

 

 

 This is a story about a friend of a friend of mine. He was an adventurer, and one day, while he was exploring a dungeon, he found a card that was lying on the ground. The card, which seemed to have been dropped by another adventurer, was a C-rank card with no owner registration, so he thought it was a good thing and decided to take it. The card was a little different from ordinary cards and a little creepy, but for him, who only had a D-rank card, the card became his mainstay.

 

 A while after he started using the card, strange things started happening around him. Every few days or so, he would have a day when he couldn't remember what he was doing. The day after the day he couldn't remember, something bad would happen. Like finding the body of a stray cat that had been tortured and killed in the vicinity of his house. He got scared and went to the hospital, but there was nothing wrong with him physically. It was decided that it was probably a psychological thing.

 

 In the meantime, more and more days went by in which he had no memory of what had happened. The number of dead animals around his house also increased. Eventually, rumors began to circulate that he was the one killing animals in the neighborhood. While I thought it couldn't be true, I was worried about what I was doing on the days I couldn't remember, so I decided to take videos of myself.

 

 Sometime in the morning, after a day I had no memory of, I looked at the video and saw myself...... killing a stray cat and eating it raw. That was when I heard a voice from the card. It said, "You noticed,...... but it's too late......."

 

 I immediately tried to throw it away, but as I did so, I lost consciousness. I've been unconscious for about a month now. Hey, what should I do...?

 

***



 Notes:

Taijutsu is a traditional Japanese martial art that focuses on unarmed combat and physical fitness.

Ore (俺): A masculine way to say ‘me’ or ‘I’

 



Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon! (Psst, go and check out the FREE trial on the first tier!)

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

 

Support Me