Thursday, March 7, 2024

[LN] PAS : Volume 2 Chapter 2.1


Volume 2 Chapter 2.1

Convenient Alliances, Invitations Mixed with Poisons Part 1



Translator : PolterGlast



"Like I said~, why the hell are you here~!?"

 

The next day. As soon as they arrived at the only café in the school, which had been designated as the meeting place, Casper came up to Jin. He aggressively crossed his shoulders and yelled in his ear.

There were many people in social gatherings who changed their attitude depending on whether the other person was of the opposite or same sex, but Nina had never seen such an extreme example before.

 

"What? You're the one who told me to bring Nina here, didn't you? ......"

"I didn't ask you to come along! Do you know what the word "date" means? A date is not a date if the same sex is present!"

"A-A date!? Why I haven't been told of such a thing?"

"A~a, sorry Nina-chan. Looks like there's an unfortunate miscommunication because of this idiot......"

"You did tell me that you wanted to form an alliance with Nina, though?"

"That was just an excuse, of course! You should have guessed that much! Don't tell me, you have never experienced love before!?"

"...... Alright, alright. So should I just go home?"

"Yeah, get the hell out of here."

 

When Jin shrugged his shoulders and was about to leave, Casper began to tremble for some reason.

 

"...... Hey, wait a minute. I just realized something outrageous."

"Haa ....... What now?"

"Why the hell are you calling Nina-chan by her name!?"

 

Casper ran off screaming and sat down holding his knees a short distance away. It seemed that he had completely lost it.

Is such a person really a candidate for the <shepherd's dog>?

It's hard to believe that the headmaster, who is so cautious that he doesn't even show up at the entrance ceremony, would appoint such a messed up person as a spy......

As Nina resisted the urge to leave, Jin whispered an instruction to her.

 

"Look, you have to comfort him."

"Hah? Me?"

"Who else is there besides you?"

"Can we just ignore him for now? I mean, this guy doesn't seem suspicious at all."

"Nina, I have a word of advice for you", Jin said as he casually walked away. "There is nothing more dangerous in the world than a seemingly harmless fraudster."

 

Watching Jin's back as he moved away, Nina suddenly felt uneasy.

Indeed, Jin might be right.

Now she found herself thinking of Casper as an insignificant opponent. ...... Even though the other party is a psychic with psychic abilities so powerful that he was exempted from the entrance examinations.

No, that's not all.

Casper is the only one among the group exempted from the entrance exam that has not disclosed any of his psychic abilities. From this fact alone, it could be inferred that he has been cleverly manipulating his information.

It could all be an act to catch us off guard. I have to stay sharp.

Nina told herself so as she approached the crouching monster.

She wasn't sure what to do, but she decided to comfort him by patting him on the shoulder.

 

"Casper-san, cheer up."

"Huh? A goddess?"

"............. I already told him to go back to his dormitory. So be at ease."

"Are you and that guy lovers?"

"...... No, of course not."

"What kind of relationship then? Don't tell me, Nina-chan, you have feelings for that guy......"

"I-It's just some kind of partnership ...... right, he's just a servant! I don't have any strange feelings for him at all!"

 

When she hastily explained herself, Casper looked up at her with a big smile on his face.

 

"Nah, figured so! I worried for nothing!"

 

Seeing Casper recover in an instant, Nina did her best to hold back a sigh.

 

 

What time is it now, I wonder?

Nina and Casper had been chatting for an hour in a corner of the café, which was sparsely populated with customers.

Life at the Heiberg Academy. Memories of their childhood. Food preferences, hobbies, and so on.

None of these topics seemed to have anything to do with the alliance. It seemed that Casper was really here with the intention of going on a date.

Even though Casper was talking continuously to her, Nina was getting tired of having to keep interweaving lies into her conversation. She had to be careful not to let her guard down and say something unnecessary.

 

"Come to think of it, Nina-chan, why did you decide to come to the Heiberg Academy?"

"Of course, that's because my two older brothers are both graduates of this school. I also wanted to be like them who belong to the <White Knights>."

"Oh, the famous Stingray brothers. My father used to talk about them a lot."

 

According to the information that Jin had the detective investigate, Caspar Crawford came from a prominent family that has been producing top-level officers in the Imperial Army for generations.

His father, in particular, was sometimes involved in joint operations with the <White Knights>, and his only son, Caspar, has all the qualifications to become a <shepherd's dog>.

 

[All right, it's time to get to the bottom of this.]

 

Jin's voice could be heard coming out of the tiny transceiver plugged into her right ear. Jin, who had anticipated that Casper would try to be alone with Nina, had given it to her before coming here. The transceiver was hidden by her platinum-colored hair, so there was no risk of it being discovered.

Of course, the contents of their conversation were also transmitted to Jin through a bug hidden in her bag. Even though she can only receive instructions from him in one direction, it is still a very reliable means of communication.

After secretly regulating her breathing, Nina carefully interjected

 

"So, Casper-san, are you also aiming to become a member of the <White Knights>?"

"Hmm, about that. I haven't decided what to do yet."

"......Pardon?"

"You see, I just happen to have been born with a powerful psychic ability. That's why I somehow ended up enrolling in this Heiberg School, which is the best in the country, but to be honest, I regret it."

"Eh, is that so?"

"I had heard that it was an intensely competitive environment, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. I was even exempted from the entrance exam, which made girls wary of me and wouldn't approach me. Right now I'm on the least popular moment I've ever been in my entire life......"

"Well, that's only natural......"

 

As shown by Bennett's previous attempt to burn nearly 20 students to death, this school is not structured for the enjoyment of a proper youth. It is a battlefield where anyone who is not careful can be outwitted, exploited, and ultimately killed in an instant.

How naive Casper's thoughts were.

Of course, the fact that he is able to survive even with such a mindset proves his ability.

 

"...... Now I see why your points barely moved."

"Haha, I'm just doing the <practical exam> and turning down all those <duels>."

"What are you going to do if you are dropped from the race for survival?"

"Well, I guess it doesn't matter. With my psychic abilities, I can survive anywhere in the world."

 

Hearing this, Nina's heart was suddenly filled with sadness.

The only reason Casper can take this stance is because he is a psychic who boasts overwhelming power.

He is able to choose from the countless options spread out on the table, the one that suits his current mood each time. He is definitely different from her, who has been playing the role of a monster ever since she was a child and finally had no choice but to drift into this abnormal academy.

 

[......As expected, this guy is suspicious.]

 

Jin's doubtful voice shook her eardrums.

 

[It's obvious that he's hiding his true nature. All he does is ask questions, and when it comes to talking about himself, he dodges the topic at the most appropriate moment. Normally, men who are trying to seduce the opposite sex would be more confident in disclosing themselves. ...... Or maybe, he meant everything he just said.]

 

Nina sipped her warm coffee and decided to calm her head a bit.

It seemed that her life was so different from the boy in front of her that she had developed a feeling akin to jealousy.

She needed to learn from her accomplice and observe the other party's behavior more calmly.

 

[Nina, explore Casper's thoughts more. Ask him why he approached you.]

 

As a signal of understanding, Nina tapped her ear lightly.

 

"So, Casper-san. Why did you approach me?"

"Huh? Of course, it's because I like you, Nina-chan."

"P-Please answer me, seriously!"

"Wawa, are you upset......!? I really like that expression! I want to take a picture of it and hang it in my house!"

[Nina, shove him away once.]

"...... Enough, I'm going back to my dormitory."

"Wha-, wait! I'm sorry!"

 

Casper confessed in an embarrassed manner as he grabbed Nina by the arm and stopped her.

 

"Well, the thing is... It's true that Nina-chan is very attractive, and it's true that I wanted to go on a date with you. That's absolutely not a lie. But, you know, there was one more thing I wanted to ask of you......"

"Then, please hurry up and get to the point."

 

After scratching his cheeks in embarrassment, Casper raised his gaze upward and said.

 

"Nina-chan, would you like to form an alliance with me?"

"...... An alliance, huh? You denied it earlier, though."

"Well, umm, even though it's called an alliance, it's actually just a formality. You see, as you probably know from attending yesterday's meeting, I'm in a bit of trouble with Karen right now......"

"You messed with Karen-san's best friend, I presume?"

"No-no, I didn't mess with her! I merely invited her to go out to town with me. But because Karen-chan is such a caring friend, she lightly threatened to kill me......"

"It's totally your own fault, isn't it?"

"Don't say that and please cooperate with me......! Nina-chan, you don't have to do anything. If anyone asks, all you have to do is tell them that you're in an alliance with me."

 

Not knowing how to respond, Nina bought herself some time by drinking coffee.

 

[It's getting more and more suspicious.]

 

Jin seemed to be getting more and more doubtful.

 

[This guy is also a member of the group that was exempted from the entrance exam, right? It's too unnatural for him to be so weak-minded when he was targeted a little bit. I can only think of it as an excuse to keep in touch with you in the future.]

 

When Jin's doubts were put into words, Casper answered hesitantly.

 

"Karen-chan's psychic abilities are a bit too incompatible with me. I'll do my best not to fight with such a pretty girl, but there is always the possibility that I might ...... But if I can trick her into thinking I'm in an alliance with Nina-chan, I might be able to keep her in check."

[......Answer him that you'll form an alliance with him under some conditions. It's a chance to find out more about him.]

 

She felt troubled deep inside her heart, but it was for a good cause.

Nina quietly put down her coffee cup and muttered in a tone of voice that showed signs of having been troubled to the limit.

 

"......It can't be helped, let's form an alliance. Under some conditions, of course."

"Aaahh~! Thank you! You are a goddess after all! I wonder why there are no songs about you in this world! Damn, It's making me pissed. ......Ah, right, I'll just make one myself! Okay, I'll go buy a guitar right after this."

"I don't need any weird enlightenment, so in exchange for the alliance, please tell me", she thrust the blade of words down Casper's throat, as instructed by the transceiver. "What exactly is your psychic abilities?"

"Ah, I can't answer that."

 

A chilling atmosphere surrounded Casper at a tremendous speed.

He immediately put on a smile, but a momentary glimpse of the abyss made Nina's heart palpitate.

This person may be hiding something terrifying .......

 

"Well, I'll accept any other conditions. Let me know after you come up with something."

The man, whose true intentions could not be read, gave her a big smile as he stood up.

"I'm looking forward to working with you, Nina-chan."

 

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

Aiden Elliott

Matthew Shuler

Swagaraga


[Gold]

-


[Silver]

Adrian Betancourt

ArUnInAcTiOn

CoolmanMTD

Creris

Glasses Kun

Pristia

Thiago Leite Denedai


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Ctdela

Curious Panda

Duncan Rodgers


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----


<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>


Support Me