Chapter 407
(Kyle Calendar Year 515: Age 22)
Southern Front ㉓ - Conclusion of the Third Offensive and Defensive
Battle
Translator : PolterGlast
Starting with myself, everyone among the soldiers of the Demon
Territory Dukedom was dumbfounded by the sight, not understanding what had
happened, but the Imperial Soldiers who heard the chorus of Matsuyama
had stopped their attacks. Seeing that, I unconsciously raised my voice.
「Cease attack! Send a signal for the
entire army to cease attacks immediately!」
Following my shout, before I knew it, Sieghart—following
the form of the Third Prince when he engaged in a verbal battle
earlier—was standing in an exceptionally conspicuous spot jutting out from the
city wall, and his voice, transmitted through a Sound Mage, echoed
throughout the area.
「I announce to the soldiers of the Principality
of Sura: we have certainly received your offer of 『Matsuyama』. Those who wish to show their intent to surrender, throw
down your weapons, place both hands on your heads, and sit on the spot. In
accordance with the style of Matsuyama, we promise to treat you all as friends
and never humiliate you.」
「「「「Ohh!」」」」
Huh? What is Matsuyama... don't tell me he means that Matsuyama
System? Since when did the signal for surrender become Matsuyama? I
couldn't help but be surprised that the system
I created myself had evolved in such a manner. The soldiers of the Principality
of Sura, driven into a corner, threw down their weapons in various places
as per Sieghart's instructions, and clasping both hands behind their
heads, showed their intent to surrender. This was the same for the main force
of the Principality of Sura Army, which was a little farther away. I'm
sure the Commander, who is over on that side, is just as taken aback as
I am. Is this really how it ends?
Thus, the Second Battle of Big Bridge Fort truly
closed its curtains in an anticlimactic manner. Well... I do feel a little let
down by how it ended, but I think it's good in its own way that there were few
casualties. We left the handling to the Imperial Soldiers, and joined up
with the Commander, who returned leading the Demon Territory Knights.
※
On this day, even as night fell, the Third Prince's
camp was in a flurry of activity, carrying out lifesaving measures for the
wounded of both friend and foe, accommodating the prisoners of war, and dealing
with the war dead. However, there wasn't much for us to do. The transport of
the wounded had also reached a milestone, and right now the Holy Mages
were busily running around dealing with them, but those other than them were
somewhat at a loose end.
「After having you contribute
immensely in the battle and running around for the relief of the wounded, it
pains me to borrow your strength any further. Please rest at the fort.」
The Third Prince had told us so, but thinking it was
better than doing nothing, Gord and Haitz, the two Vice
Commanders of the Demon Territory Knights, took turns guarding the
patrol line on the outer edge of Big Bridge. And late at night, I, the Commander,
and Christoph were finally called to a war council to share the latest
information. When we went and looked... In the conference room, only Sieghart
was surrounded by those who appeared to be military officers.
「Um, the kitchen is screaming that
they won't make it in time with the meals...」
「That's a given. After all, we
unexpectedly increased by forty thousand people! I've already issued written
instructions regarding priority, so follow that! I've issued instructions to
serve the emergency dried noodles, so deal with it using that for the time
being!」
「Beds for the prisoners and the
returning allies...」
「Isn't it a given that there isn't
enough! Because the fort can only provide for forty thousand people at most!
Right now, we're proceeding with relocating the enemy army's tents and
everything to the reclaimed land, so have the uninjured prisoners help out!
Because the tents inside the fort will only accommodate the wounded of both
friend and foe.」
「Um... what about the returning Imperial
Soldiers...」
「I've already conveyed that. For the
time being, have them operate in managing the prisoners. Since we're setting up
their encampment on the outer edge of the temporary prisoner-of-war camp in the
reclaimed land, assign them there for the time being.」
「Phew, good grief, with this
busyness, I can't even sleep properly at night, let alone take a nap... Even
though I just told Denka I
wouldn't work overtime...」
Sieghart, who
grumbled so, let out a large sigh with a slightly haggard face.
「You look busy. If there's anything
even we can do, we won't spare our assistance. We can manage our own meals at least.
Shall we reschedule the war council for another day?」
「Ah, this is... Archduke-heika... please excuse my rudeness. We're
grateful for the offer, but on this matter alone, I
have been strictly told by Denka
to 『provide
the maximum hospitality』...」
Saying so, Sieghart smiled wryly. Within him, it
seems he also has feelings of wanting help, but in a scene where he addresses
me not as 『Takuhir-dono』 but as 『Archduke』, he probably can't say so.
「Since the Archduke has
specially come, you've issued the immediate instructions, right? I will
dispatch Sieghart to lead your vanguard command again after the council,
so the military officers may also leave the room for now. We will now enter a
war council to determine future policies.」
At the words of the Third Prince, who appeared
belatedly, Sieghart cast a reproachful gaze, but the Third Prince
himself took his seat with a cool face as if nothing had happened.
「Then, report the situation confirmed
from the scouts scattered to various places, as well as from the prisoners.」
Receiving those words, Sieghart stood up looking as
if to say, 'good grief'.
「First of all, as a major premise,
these reports are strictly estimated values obtained from the information
gathered thus far. This time, the Principality of Sura Army initially
invaded with a military force of seventy thousand, but it is believed they have
lost nearly ninety percent. Therefore, they cannot become a threat in the
future.」
「Then Sieghart, you're saying
they have no more surplus strength?」
「Yes, exactly as Denka says. I saw their mobilization
limit as sixty thousand. However, they pushed themselves and added another ten
thousand on top of that. There probably are only about ten thousand soldiers
remaining in their home country. What's more, it seems the generals who led the
invasion army have been entirely wiped out. Even if they have soldiers, there
are no generals to command them.」
True enough. To be frank, with this, the Principality of
Sura is probably in a situation where maintaining their country is also in
jeopardy. After this battle, it seems inevitable that they will be destroyed
just like in the previous history.
「Next is the Turncoat Kingdom Army,
they have been dealt the finishing blow by Denka's army. Even if they managed to escape, they have no
resupply, and their numbers are likely below ten thousand. From now on, as an
enemy nation of our Empire, it could be said they are in a state where
maintaining their country is also in jeopardy.」
It's the same for the Principality of Sura, but both
countries don't solely share borders with the Empire. If they have been
greatly weakened, the neighboring countries probably won't stay silent. Well...
they invaded driven by greed, so they brought it upon themselves...
「So... what will we do about the
fool? He still has Ende and a safe zone spreading behind him, you know?」
「Yes, I have already taken measures
regarding that. Taking Denka's
victory today as an opportunity, I have raised a beacon, so I believe it will
be difficult for him to return to Ende as well...」
That is true, but... hasn't he overlooked one major point? I
think the enemy army of ten thousand cavalry west of Ende is still alive
and well...
「I have explained the various
circumstances to Uncle (Count Astray) alone beforehand, so it should be
no problem to assume he can handle it.」
True enough... Even if the Eral Knight Kingdom Army
is alive and well, every other army in the same camp has been routed. Does that
mean they won't stick their necks into a losing battle any further under such
circumstances?
「I see... So what will we do from
here on?」
「First, we will dispatch the
temporarily retreated Eastern Army of ten thousand near the border of
the Turncoat Kingdom, and the Western Army of ten thousand to the
border line with the Principality of Sura to solidify the borders with
both countries. Then, in addition to Denka's
cavalry unit, we will recruit cavalry from the returning Imperial Soldiers,
and with eight thousand cavalry, we will patrol the entire new territory, rally
scattered allies, and sweep away the remnants of the enemy army. With this, we
should be able to stabilize the new territory.」
「In that case, even including the
returning soldiers, only fifteen thousand will remain in this fort?」
「Regarding the seven thousand men Denka evacuated, I am summoning them
here, including the wounded. Once they arrive, the soldiers capable of fighting
will be nearly twenty thousand at least. It should be sufficient as a
suppression force for the keystone.」
「However... what about suppressing
the fool (Glorious) in the north and the Eral Knight Kingdom in
the northwest?」
「Before long, the news of our victory
should reach not only the Empire but each neighboring country as well.
Once the forces other than those sent out for suppression finish gathering at Big
Bridge, I would like Denka
to return to the Imperial Capital in triumph together with Archduke-heika.」
「So, when is that time? Also, that
doesn't seem to answer the question?」
「One week... no, I would like about
ten days. Once that happens, all answers, including Denka's current questions, will reach a conclusion.」
Saying so, Sieghart smiled fearlessly. Then this
time, he faced me, bowed respectfully, and continued his words.
「Therefore, Archduke-heika, please lend us your strength as a
『suppression
force』 for just
ten more days. If you do so, I believe you will be able to return straight
through the Empire on your way back.」
There were still some parts that I couldn't quite fathom about what he was thinking, but for the time being, I nodded silently. However... will this really end everything? Such questions of mine would also be resolved within 10 days, exactly as he said. Along with an astonishing truth... I would come to know Sieghart's deep foresight once more.
-----
Thank you for my Patrons !!
[Platinum]
-
[Gold]
B random
Nepheos
[Silver]
Corey Hicks
Creris
Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon
Jake Seagraves
Matthew Fraser
Tbaum56
Xavier O'Donoghue
Anton Lim
Baelee
Christopher Feliciano
Ctdela
Curious Panda
nick nasca
SD Fox
Sébastien Dionne
Z
Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon
-----
