Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 161

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #161

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

 

 

 

Episode 161: World Native (2)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 The place we teleported to was the East Exit of Ikebukuro Station... or at least, where it used to be.

 

 Between the rampage of an A-rank and a swarm of B-rank monsters, the area around Ikebukuro had lost all trace of its former self.

 

 The station building and surrounding structures had been reduced to nothing but rubble, making it nearly impossible to tell where you were by sight alone.

 

 We had simply teleported to the coordinates where the Ikebukuro Station was supposed to exist.

 

...Now then, what's the move? Should we start with the F-rank dungeons?

 

 Renge’s voice came through our Link as I activated a magic item I’d acquired from the deal with the Hachioji Guild—a device that erected a Presence-Concealing Barrier. I used it mostly for my own peace of mind.

 

No, there's something I want to check first.

 

 I replied while scanning the surroundings, wary of being spotted by the A-rank monster.

 

 There were no B-rank or higher monsters in the immediate vicinity. The few lower-ranked monsters scattered about either hadn't noticed us or were simply watching from a distance, showing no sign of approaching.

 

 Once I confirmed that the coast was clear, I issued orders to my cards,

 

Dress, equip Eliza. Eliza, use Doton no Jutsu1 to find the entrance to the Ikebukuro Guild shelter beneath the rubble.

 

 Executive Director Kurohara of Izayoi Shoji had mentioned that communication with the Ikebukuro Guild had been cut off, but that didn't necessarily mean they had been wiped out.

 

 It was possible they had simply lost their means of communication, or that they just flat-out ignoring Izayoi Shoji after seeing the state of the world outside.

 

Found it.

 

 At those words, I shared Eliza's vision.

 

 Through her eyes, I saw that the barrier of the Ikebukuro Shelter had been completely shattered and buried under the rubble.

 

...It seems the Ikebukuro Guild’s fall was real after all.

 

...Eliza, head inside. Use the Hamelin's Flute to bring us in.

 

Yes, Master.

 

 The faint sound of Eliza playing her flute drifted up from beneath the wreckage.

 

 As I waited for the transfer gate to open—

 

—! An A-rank scent is closing in!

 

 Yuki’s voice rang out, sharp and laced with tension.

 

Damn! We’ve been sniffed out! As expected, an A-rank's senses are terrifyingly sharp!

 

This isn't the time to fight yet...!

 

 Right before our eyes, a building that had miraculously kept its original shape was blown to smithereens.

 

 Dust flying off to the sides, the enemy came into view.

 

 It was a pitch-black bull, as massive as a two-story house, sporting magnificent golden wings and sharp bluish stone2 horns.

 

 The imposing presence radiating from this creature and the aura that seemed touched upon divinity left me in no doubt that this was indeed an A-rank divine being.

 

 The gleaming gold eyes of Gugalanna locked onto me with a fierce glare.

 

 Like a bullfighter in a ring, he scraped his front hooves against the ground, assuming a charging stance.

 

Kuh! I'm using Aegis!

 

Yeah!

 

 At that moment, Athena activated Aegis almost entirely on her own initiative.

 

 Not just Absolute Defense, but a Pseudo-Safe Zone as well.

 

 Gugalanna, wreathed in crimson-black lightning, charged with a speed that bordered instantaneous movement, and Athena’s Pseudo-Safe Zone activated practically at the very same instant.

 

 The Pseudo-Safe Zone surged out from Athena at the speed of light, clashing with Gugalanna. A gargantuan shockwave ripped through our bodies.

 

 The Aegis’s Absolute Defense barrier was stripped away in its entirety, and after a brief standoff with the barrier of the Pseudo-Safe Zone, Gugalanna was hurled back as if repelled.

 

 Almost simultaneously, Eliza's transfer gate opened.

 

Jump in!

 

 As we leapt straight into the gate, I caught a final glimpse of Gugalanna watching us with what looked like pure, frustrated resentment.

 

 

"...Oi, what the hell was that monster?"

 

 After scrambling into the Ikebukuro shelter and taking a moment to breathe, I muttered the words in a daze.

 

"He stripped away every layer of Absolute Defense..."

 

"Seems he possesses either an Area-of-Effect type Absolute Attack3 or an Absolute Release4 skill,"

 

  Athena replied, looking visibly drained.

 

"An AoE Absolute Attack...?"

 

If we hadn't had Absolute Defense active, won’t that be instant death for us?

 

"And the way the attack pierced the Pseudo-Safe Zone?"

 

“That was simply a matter of timing; the deployment didn't finish in time. The Pseudo-Safe Zone doesn’t take full effect until it’s thoroughly established."

 

So using it as a reactive shield during combat is difficult, huh?

 

Or maybe, that’s exactly why the area-type Absolute Defense exists—to bridge that gap.

 

“I see... Athena, thank you for using Aegis so quickly.”

 

“Hmph. Who do you think I am?”

 

 Athena gave a boastful smirk, but I could see the lingering tension in her face.

 

 The other party members also looked somewhat grim.

 

 Even through the barrier of the Pseudo-Safe Zone, we had felt it—that crushing pressure, that raw power.

 

 That pressure... it felt dangerously close to Urashima Taro in his Enraged Mode.

 

So that's an A-rank. So that's a World Native...

 

It seems that, without even realizing it, I had somehow underestimated A-ranks after defeating Huanglong so easily…

 

"It looks like choosing to scout the Guild before tackling the low-rank dungeons was definitely the right call after all."

 

 The mere thought of running into Gugalanna inside a low-rank dungeon made me break out in a cold sweat.

 

 Anyway. A Guild would have a vast hoard of cards and magic items sleeping within its vault.

 

 Among them, I might find Key Items for Renge and the others, or perhaps items effective against Gugalanna specifically.

 

 To reclaim Ikebukuro for humanity, I intended to put every bit of that Guild’s legacy to good use.

 

"...Still, there are a lot of bodies."

 

 Once the shock of the encountering Gugalanna faded and I looked around, I frowned at the devastation.

 

 The corridor was so packed with layers of corpses that there was nowhere to step.

 

 The trail of bodies stretched from the rubble behind us all the way into the depths of the facility.

 

 Though I'd grown pretty used to seeing dead bodies from my journeys, this scene still made my skin crawl.

 

 The only saving grace, if you could call it that, was that it was winter, so the decomposition was still relatively contained.

 

"...Eliza, this is near the shelter entrance, right?"

 

 Eliza gave a small nod in response to my question.

 

"Hmm..."

 

Something feels... wrong.

 

Why are there so many bodies right here at the entrance? Normally, if enemies attack from outside, people flee in the opposite direction...

 

 Despite the grim speculation crossing my mind, I pressed onward, using the corpses as guides.

 

 After coming across a few C-rank or lower monsters here and there, we finally reached our destination.

 

 There stood a transfer gate, still perfectly intact—surrounded by even more bodies than we'd seen at the entrance.

 

Ah, just as I thought...

 

"So, this place was attacked from the inside..."

 

 This Guild hadn't been wiped out because the barrier was breached from the outside. …By the time the outer defenses failed, this place was already a tomb—overrun by monsters pouring out of the transfer gate.

 

 The corpses piled up near the entrance weren't people trying to get in; they were people trying to get out, only to be slaughtered against a sealed barrier they couldn't open.

 

 The image of their final moments flashed through my mind, so I shook my head to drive it away.

 

I have no time for sentimentality right now.

 

 I approached the transfer gate to check its status.

 

"...No response."

 

 It seemed every destination paired with this gate had been destroyed on the other end.

 

If it had still been linked to other Guilds, it would have been a golden opportunity to recover supplies from there too… but oh well, it can’t be helped.

 

If their gates were destroyed, that means those Guilds avoided being overrun. That’s something to be happy about.

 

Alright then, time for the treasure hunt.

 

 I summoned Kimaris.

 

"Kimaris, can you locate the supplies hidden within this Guild?"

 

"Hum, let's see~... Yes, I can~”

 

Good. It seems supplies and such count as 'treasure' too.

 

"Great. Lead the way―――― "

 

"Master, may I have a word?"

 

 I was ready to move, but a voice gave me pause. I looked over—it was Eliza.

 

"What is it?"

 

"...We are not inside a dungeon right now. Would it not be better to leave the search to us while you return to Tachikawa and issue commands via our Link?"

 

"Ah, that's a brilliant idea," Athena added.

 

"Yeah, you should wait somewhere safe," Renge voiced.

 

 Athena and Renge were the first to nod in agreement at Eliza's suggestion, followed by a chorus of approval from the other cards.

 

 ...It seemed confronting Gugalanna, who possessed an Absolute Attack skill, had stirred up anxiety among my cards.

 

Hmm... I do need to accompany them for dungeon attack, but outside of that, wouldn’t it be better if I stayed away as much as possible so I don’t get in the way?

 

As for moving around on the surface... it would be harder for Gugalanna and other B-rank monsters to spot us if I had Eliza copy the [Hide and Seek] skill, have her go ahead to the entrance of each dungeon first, and then use teleportation to regroup and enter together.

 

Even for the eventual battle with Gugalanna, commanding them from Tachikawa is objectively the safest route.

 

"Alright. Then I’ll wait in Tachikawa."

 

 Relief washed over their faces.

 

 Eliza played her Hamelin’s Flute, opening the transfer gate. Taking only Audrey with me, I returned to Tachikawa.

 

 I deployed Fensalir in a suitable spot outside the Hesperides. As I settled in to watch their treasure hunt through our Link, I let my mind wander.

 

That Gugalanna is even more formidable than I anticipated…

 

I don’t think he’s impossible to defeat, but his AoE Absolute Attack carries a very real risk of causing card Lost.

 

Since that’s the case, maybe I should avoid using those who haven't been named yet?

 

Wait, it might still be too demanding for Kimaris, but maybe Morrigan and Macha are ready to accept a name by now?

 

It might be worth a try.

 

Besides, in preparation for the upcoming battle with Gugalanna, I need to consider holing up in the Tamatebako for another six months or so.

 

Honestly, this isn’t the time to be complaining about how mentally draining holing up in there is.

 

With a clear goal like Gugalanna in sight, we likely won’t hit that burnout phase like last time.

 

And then, there's also the matter of Suzuka and Prima.

 

 

 

 

RacePersephone (Prima)

Combat Power1900 (Initial Combat Power 900 + Growth 900 + Spiritual Recurrence 100)

 

Inborn Skills

 ・Queen of the Underworld: As wife of Hades, King of the Underworld, she can wield a portion of his authority. Greatly increases the stats of allies possessing the Death attribute and removes the [Immortality] effect from enemies possessing the Death attribute.

 ・Pomegranate of the Underworld5: Produces half a pomegranate from the realm of the dead. Granting those who consume it temporary Death attribute and Immortality.

 ・Spring Breeze: she transforms the surroundings into a spring field. She can summon Sirens (said to be her former attendants) infinitely.

 ・Intermediate-level Wizard

 

Acquired Skills

 ・Songstress: Encompasses Singer, Chorus, Beautiful Voice, Perfect Pitch, Low-level Storage, Group Coordination, Teaching, Sexual Skill, Etiquette, Swimming, Fishing, Musical Performance (NEW!), and Warrior (NEW!).

 ・Ambition to Rise in The World

 ・Advanced-level Wizard

 ・Absolute Obedience

 ・The True One

 ・Breakthrough of Limits

 ・True Subordinate Summoning

 ・Fountain of Magic Power

 ・Magic Song (NEW!)

 ・Zero Existence (NEW!) → Spiritual Recurrence (CHANGE!)

 ・Sharp Eye (NEW!)

 ・No Beat (NEW!): Allows the user to skip the process of martial arts skills. Effectiveness increases with proficiency.

 

 

 

 

RaceDemeter (Prima)

Combat Power2800  (Initial Combat Power 1800 + Growth 900 + Spiritual Recurrence 100)

 

Inborn Skills

 ・Bringer of Fertility and Law: Allows the use of the authority of Demeter, goddess of the Earth (a superior version of Fertility) and Law (Contract).

 ・Bringer of Winter: Manifests Demeter’s sorrow and rage. Transforms the surrounding area into a field of extreme winter, inflicting powerful Starvation that ignores resistances and Regeneration Inhibition on all enemies.

(Starvation: A status ailment that forces the target into malnutrition, rapidly depleting their vitality)

 ・Eleusinian Mysteries: Embodies the power of Persephone, her daughter and another aspect of herself, also allowing her to be summoned as a subordinate. Only one can exist at a time, but there is no limit on the times she can be summoned. Includes the Fountain of Life and the Knowledge of Survival.

 ・High-level Wizard

 ・Warrior

 

 

 

 

Prima underwent a Minor change from Siren to Persephone, gaining Demeter as her Spiritual Recurrence destination. But, having only recently acquiring it, she hasn't fully mastered her new form yet.

 

Suzuka is in the same boat. To extend the duration they can maintain those forms, another training camp is essential.

 

 As I was pondering such things, Eliza and the others located the Guild's supply storage. ...However.

 

"Empty...?"

 

 The vast storage room was lined with rows of orderly shelves, but they were completely bare. Not a single card-form supply remained.

 

This... what does this mean? Even if the owners had died and their registered cards vanished, a number of resources should have been managed using binders. Even if the contents were gone, the binders themselves should remain.

 

Moreover, given the nature of an organization like the Guild, it’s unlikely they registered ownership for every single item—the risk of embezzlement or losing everything upon a member's death would be too high.

 

For convenience, basic supplies were likely left unregistered, unlike the high-value cards and magic items…

 

So then, did the shelter staff take it after all? Meaning not all were wiped out? Did some manage to escape to another Guild? ...While letting the evacuees die?

 

 Frowning, I looked further inside and found a thick, bank vault-like door stood there.

 

 High-value cards and magic items would logically have been stored in there, but...

 

"This one's empty too, huh?"

 

 We entered after Eliza sliced through the door—which looked sturdy enough to withstand a B-rank—with her Absolute Attack. Inside, sure enough, it was empty as well.

 

If even the high-security vault was cleaned out, the likely culprit wasn’t a regular employee acting like a looter in the midst of a fire, but rather an executive.

 

...No, wait.

 

Kimaris. There are no supplies here, so where's the treasure?

 

 If the supplies were gone, then what exactly was the 'treasure' Kimaris had sensed?

 

 At my question, Kimaris looked around nervously before pointing a finger at a seemingly blank wall.

 

Aa~, there. Right there. I sense the presence of treasure hidden there~

 

 Following her lead, Eliza and Suzuka inspected the spot and discovered a small, hidden safe.

 

 It had been cleverly hidden using a magic item of camouflage.

 

 After slicing open the safe door with an Absolute Attack and looking inside, they found a binder stored within.

 

 Eliza opened the binder.

 

 Inside were dozens of magic items in card form and three B-rank cards.

 

"Sleipnir, Suzaku of the Four Divine Beasts, and... Ixtab, the Mayan goddess of death6, huh?"

 

Ixtab... I'll give her to Oribe.

 

 I took one look at the illustration of Ixtab—a goddess with a festering, rotting face—and immediately decide that.

 

Might as well give Sleipnir to Anna.

 

Still, only three B-ranks? ...Seems surprisingly few for a Guild. Did they distribute any usable cards to staff members like Shigeno-san, a former Self-Defense Forces officer? And did those vanish along with the Master’s death? Or is it that even the Guild doesn’t possess many B-rank cards to begin with?

 

But why were these even left behind? Did the person who took the supplies out front not know about this safe? If so, does that mean the culprit wasn’t an executive? Or was it simply because there was no time?

 

Or maybe...

 

"Well, whatever..."

 

 I shook off the nasty thoughts.

 

 Plenty of loose ends remained, but I did walk away with something.

 

 There were also the magic items hidden so meticulously, stored alongside the B-rank cards.

 

    At the very least, these should be B-rank rare drops, or possibly even A-rank drops.

 

    If fortune shone on me, the Key Items for my cards might be hiding here among them.

 

 I'll examine these items carefully inside the Tamatebako.

 

    With a beaming smile, I watched over my cards as they continued exploring the shelter.

 

***

 


Notes:

土遁の術. (doton no jutsu) translates to 'Earth Style Technique', a type of Ninjutsu.

The raw use 青玉石 (seigyoku shi), which translates to ‘blue/green jewel stone’. It may refer to sapphire, lapis lazuli, or azurite.

Reminder: Absolute Attack (絶対攻撃): A skill that pierces through any defense, excluding pseudo-safe zones. It is nullified by Absolute Defense, and while it doesn't hit Absolute Evasion, the skill also doesn't count as having been used.

Reminder: Absolute Release (絶対解除): A skill that can dispel the effects of all other skills, excluding the pseudo-safe zone. Since it does not negate the effects of skills after they've been applied, it cannot nullify damage already taken or revert healed wounds.

In the myth, Hades tricked Persephone to eat a pomegranate to bound her to the Underworld

Her name was written as イシュタム in Japanese. Actually, she was the goddess of suicide in the Mayan mythology. The culture believed that suicide would lead people to heaven.

 

Translator(s) note: Here’s where you can buy the Author’s books:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/stores/author/B075TBZ2QF/allbooks?ingress=0&visitId=e78c100a-ced9-4562-a21a-36e8a17339e5&ref_=ap_rdr

 


[ANNOUNCEMENT]

We decided to have a GOAL starting now:

IF WE EARN $225/month for AT LEAST 3 MONTHS STRAIGHT from Patreon membership, WE WILL ADD ANOTHER ADVANCED CHAPTER ON EACH TIER on our Patreon!

The advanced chapters are based on the original schedule, and we make sure we stick to it on Patreon, so you might get MORE than that! Please check our Patreon!

We set the “earning visibility” public so you can always see it.

More people joining means more advanced chapters for you Patreon members!

 



Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Please help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon!

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

 

Support Me