[WN] Jitsuwa 3-Domedatta : Chapter 438





Chapter 438

(Kyle Calendar Year 515: Age 22)

Night in the Imperial Capital (Part 1)




Translator : PolterGlast




Come evening, we were guided by the usher sent by Sieghart and headed toward a tavern in the Imperial Capital. What was surprising along the way was that, compared to Kylar, the city was incredibly bustling even at night. It was something we couldn't have fathomed in the innermost depths of the Imperial Capital near the Inner Palace where we were staying, but as we passed through several city gates along the way and reached the casual areas where the citizens lived, it became prominent. Around here, it wasn't just facilities like taverns and eateries; night markets were set up, bustling in various places, and the number of streetlights was incomparably high, giving it the atmosphere of a city that never sleeps. Of course, knowing the nighttime bustle of major Japanese cities like Shinjuku or Minami, I wasn't hugely surprised, but Miseri and Yoltia were wide-eyed with astonishment. Seeing this, I felt I could understand why that tomboy had said she 『wanted to go see it』. And then... we entered a large tavern where the clamor leaked out even from the outside, and were guided to a seat in the back. Inside, in addition to counter seating, there were over 20 tables seating four to six people. It seemed to be a fairly large tavern, and the atmosphere felt somewhat like an Irish Pub.

「Welcome, everyone! Are you all here? I've been waiting for you.」

There, Sieghart was smiling pleasantly, and waiting for us at the table were Raphael—who should normally be as lively as a fish in water in a place like this, but was instead shrinking small—the resigned Marquis Flame, and Knight Commander Gouras, who had all already taken their seats. They must have each arrived ahead of time to secure the safety of the venue and await the arrival of the protagonists; however, some dishes and sake cups were already lined up on the table.

「It's this crowded, and there isn't a single table where everyone can sit, so first, please take seats at these three tables including this one, and afterward, please feel free to move between seats as you like.」

I had heard from Sieghart in advance that it was a popular, casual tavern that even the commoners of the Imperial Capital could frequent. True to his word, it appeared to be thriving; except for the tables in the back that he had secured, the tavern was completely full and filled with a lively clamor.

「Takuhir-sama...」

As I took my seat, Sigur, who had arrived early with Raphael and the others, spoke to me in a low voice. Unlike when he calls out to me in public, he was consciously speaking in his usual tone.

「I, Carla, and the guards for Denka and Heika are standing by at a separate table a short distance away. In an emergency, please escape through the door behind the back seat. Behind the door, Hyman is standing by leading an elite unit, the Commander is having a small unit patrol the perimeter of this establishment so as not to stand out, and the main force is on standby, ready to move at any time.」

Man, I feel sorry for increasing their workload with unnecessary tasks. At least for them...

「Then, I have a request. I can't let them drink alcohol, but could you arrange meals for Hyman and the others? Tell them I said 『eat even while standing by.』」

「Understood. I will go make those arrangements.」

After confirming the back of Sigur, who left saying so, I took the seat that had been decided in advance. At the six-person table, the four women sat at the very back, and in the middle seats sat myself, King Krugel of the Fearalt Principality, and King Crajyu, whom I had invited to the Imperial Capital. At another table, Sieghart and his group were already seated, but they deliberately remained seated. After all, if they gave us special treatment, we would unavoidably stand out, so outwardly they were acting as equals.

「Hm? Is Friend (Raphael) at that table?」

Well, yeah. I'm not a demon, after all. And the other person scheduled to sit here is the Emperor of this country. A table full of only Emperors and Kings is something even I would like to politely decline.

「For now, at least. It's been decided that once things settle down, everyone is free to move around as they like. I suppose we're just waiting for the Captain (Emperor) now?」

Right. No matter how far in the back of the tavern we are, if words like Heika, Archduke, or Denka fly around, we'll be viewed with suspicion. We had decided on codes in advance. Captain ... Emperor Grat (he previously acted as a captain of a mercenary unit incognito), Commander ... Krugel-heika (officially, he is the Commander of the Royal Guard Division this time), Squad Leader ... King Crajyu (no particular reason, just for the sake of it), Chairman ... Myself (for the reason that I am supposedly the promoter of this sort of gathering)

No... I have zero memory of ever being the promoter, though. Last time, everyone just came to Kusanagi of their own accord, after all.

「Hahaha, he's already here. Since this establishment has been a regular haunt of his for a long time.」

Saying so, the Emperor himself came to the table carrying four sake cups, but... Does this person understand his position as an Emperor? He wouldn't need to play at being a waiter himself...

「No need for consideration. This time, I am the one hosting. Besides, I come here with soldiers from time to time, and it's always like this.」

「......」

Come to think of it, the Commander had once said something. At the time, the Third Prince would sleep and eat with the common soldiers on the front lines, eating the exact same things as them. Hearing such rumors, the Commander resolved to lead his companions to him as their new master (contracting party). Did he do similar things even outside the battlefield?

「This is the last table. With this, the sake cups for everyone are set, so from here on out, please enjoy the night in the Imperial Capital with a 『free-and-easy』 spirit.」

Eh? For everyone? Don't tell me... When I casually cast my gaze to the side, Miseri and the others were staring at the sake cups lined up in front of them with an apprehensive look. Don't tell me the Emperor carried those himself too... is that what this means!

「Hahaha, pledging to the reunion of friends, cheers!」

「Yeah, to the friends who visited from afar!」

「W-With gratitude...」

「To those who are uncharacteristic!」

The last words were a sarcastic remark I uttered, but logically speaking based on common sense, this is an impossible scenario. However, there were those who reacted with laughter to my words.

「True. The Captain's behavior is one thing, but originally, my friend here is the most uncharacteristic of all.」

「Eh? Why me?」

To me, who was self-aware that I possessed the most common sense among those present, those were unexpected words. So I couldn't help but raise my voice in protest.

「I heard rumors that at the academy cafeteria, you would personally portion out and serve meals according to your classmates' preferences. Because Clarisse-dono was envious, saying, 『I wanted you to bring me food too.』」

「......」

That was for Mary and Sasha... no, I feel like I did that for others several times after that, too. For Yuka and Chrisia, of course, but sometimes in the salon, even for Mark and for Hyman and the others who are standing by behind the tavern this time... But, you know, that was strictly a matter between students...

「Is that so. I was surprised by the vastness of the Chairman's capacity many times, but I am thinking of using it as a reference and reforming myself from here on...」

No! I'd be in trouble if you imitated me, and a King shouldn't do things like that! You shouldn't be influenced by the three unruly ones (reluctantly including myself)!

「Hahaha, that's good. Actually, we heard about the 『free-and-easy』 gatherings held in Teigoon and Kusanagi from the big-eared fox (Sieghart), you see. We decided to make it a customary event...」

「Ohh, that's excellent! We too heard that story in the past and adopted it. If it's an officially established event, there won't be anyone (Flame) who comes flying over with a changed complexion, after all.」

No... come to think of it, you (Krugel-heika) were of the same kind, weren't you. On the last night when I visited the Fearalt Principality as a special envoy, when we held a private appreciation party for our own people, you snuck in as a server on your own and terrified us... I couldn't help but recount that story to the two of them anew. Their reactions were varied, though.

「No... I am also attending a seat like this for the first time, and I feel anew that there is much to learn. This visit to the Imperial Capital has been nothing but surprises...」

No, that's different. Because I think the direction you're learning from is wrong.

「Ah, you'd better stop. Because the people around you will end up troubled. Just like them, sitting at the table closest to the entrance.」

Saying so, I glanced at the table closest to the entrance. Yes, the hardships of Marquis Flame, Knight Commander Gouras, and the others are endless. Except for Sieghart, who is the only one casually enjoying the alcohol and food... no, is he actually fulfilling his duty as a vassal? A while had passed since we took our seats and started drinking, but when I looked closely, although sake cups were lined up on their table, they hadn't touched the alcohol at all. Of course, including Sieghart's cup... They must truly be on pins and needles. I started to feel a bit sorry for them.

「What's this, it seems they aren't able to enjoy themselves. Very well, I shall urge them to drink from my end too.」

「That's right, my friend doesn't seem to be drinking much either, and to show my appreciation for them, I shall also...」

Ah man, the two people being shown the most consideration have launched a charge. What are you going to do... I apologized in my heart to Count Flame and Knight Commander Gouras, who were shrinking in fear from being urged to drink by the Emperor, and to Raphael, who had frozen stiff after having an arm thrown around his shoulder by the King. And then... that was when the real 『free-and-easy』 began.

「Hahaha, with this, my role is over. I was matching the serious folks, but from here on out, I can drink casually with Takuhir-dono .」

Saying so, Sieghart moved to the table where King Crajyu and I were. Carrying his own cup.

「Eh? Is that alright? Weren't you refraining from drinking for the sake of security?」

At my words, Sieghart stuck out his tongue and laughed. Then he told me the truth in a low voice.

「Actually... this is an off-the-record story, but I've reserved this establishment for today, and all the other customers are people I've planted, so the safety inside the shop is secured. If by any chance danger were to reach the state guests, I couldn't provide any explanation, you see. I couldn't tell them that over there, so I was matching them, you see...」

「Hahaha, is that how it is.」

Does that mean we are being presented with a performance where we enjoy a regular tavern? Does that mean he was one step ahead of me?

「Cheers to wicked schemes!」

At this moment, I laughed from the bottom of my heart. Together with Sieghart. King Crajyu, who exchanged cups with us, had a solemn face, though...

「It seems the two of you whose names resonate with resourcefulness are enjoying yourselves. If it's a strategic discussion, by all means, wouldn't you let us join in as well?」

Saying so, the one who moved seats was Clarisse-denka. And... from here was actually the true beginning of the 『Night in the Imperial Capital』. That it would be an incredibly dense night—and that she, who brought about that trigger, was the sound of the bell announcing the opening of the 『true night』—I would recall later while suffering from a hangover.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>