Tuesday, August 18, 2026

[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 15


The Beginning of Winter and Cold Prevention 4 (Director's POV)


The one my foolish son brought home was a lovely young lady with fluffy brown hair.

At the sudden welcome, she widened her large eyes even further in surprise, yet greeted us politely. Despite being in a place she had come to for the first time, she seemed to have an undaunted personality, and her firmly making eye contact with each person left a favorable impression.

Her body was slightly too thin rather than just delicate, but since she ate the food served to her properly, I was relieved for the time being that her health condition was not bad. However, the tense atmosphere of trying to shoulder everything alone bothered me.

What was written in the advance notice was the young lady's name and the fact that the one who made the Jilgista Kingdom's new medicine was her. How he learned of such a classified secret, and what he said to persuade her were both omitted. Thinking to get at least a little more information, I questioned the servant who brought the letter, and he said he took her away from an evening banquet and put her straight on a ship.

What are you doing. Your mother doesn't remember raising you to be a man who abducts a young woman of marriageable age, you know.

While feeling a light dizziness at my son's reckless action, nevertheless, it was also a joy that my child—who flatly discarded any young ladies who approached him, reaching the realm of a misogynist from that annoyance—brought a girl along. It was unexpected that my unintentional mutter of, 'I wonder if she would just become my daughter-in-law,' spread as a rumor. Fufu, it was definitely not on purpose, you know.

I left that rumor alone, thinking Ashren would extinguish the fire before long, but……

They use the same carriage for both going to and returning from work. When I probed the maids of the separate estate, it seems they are unexpectedly getting along well, reading books or drinking tea in the same room after meals. As if to drive the point home further, when I heard that he pulled a tearful Layla into an embrace and comforted her at the Medicinal Herb Department, I doubted my own ears. That misogynistic son of mine.

While thinking such things in the corner of my mind, I headed to the Medicinal Herb Department to consult about the new medicine, and right then, Ashren and Layla came out the back door. In Ashren's hands was a large pot likely borrowed from the kitchen, and on his neck was a woman's scarf.

What is with that sloppy face. Was he a child who made such faces?

The two of them placed the pot directly on the ground and put red leaves and stems inside it. Then Layla began to mix it with a ladle. From that pot, made with a rough process just like children playing house, a pungent odor that pierced the nose gradually began to rise.

Eh, are they okay? Just what are they making?

Becoming worried, when I unintentionally called out to them, they said they were making a cold prevention medicine. This roughly? Besides, this is the first time I've heard of a prevention medicine.

This is a medicine you drink, right?

Thinking it felt like it would be a bit hard to drink, I asked, and Layla shook her head.

This is gargling medicine. Also, it can be used as a disinfectant. You can dilute it with water and use it to wipe tableware, desks, and doorknobs.

Gargling medicine! That idea had never existed before. The cause of a cold is due to invisible bacteria, and it is said to be transmitted from person to person. Because we were always so focused on how to quickly cure infected people, I never even thought of preventing the infection itself.

So it's for infection prevention. That is amazing, I certainly did not have that idea. Moreover, to think it can be made this easily; let's make a lot of it right away and circulate it in the Royal Capital.

Right. I will go explain it to the people at the Medicinal Herb Department right now.

In that case, I have an appointment to meet with Reizan, so I will tell him myself.

If it can be done this easily, I wonder if I should have the kitchen servants help out as well, not just the Medicinal Herb Department. We need large pots, so I'll borrow the large pots for expeditions from the knight order, and perhaps have the knight order make some while they're at it. As I was setting up the plans in my head, I noticed Layla looking at me hesitantly.

What is the matter, Layla? Is there something bothering you?

No, um. But, I don't think I should say this much……

Layla, who usually states her opinions clearly, was stuttering unusually. Tightly gripping both hands in front of her chest and letting her gaze wander, seeing her like this was rare.

What is wrong, Layla? If there is anything bothering you, please tell us anything. That is right, do not hold back. Besides, I am the one who will ultimately decide whether to adopt the idea, so you do not need to worry about things like responsibility or your own position.

When I said that, Layla looked back at me with wide eyes. What is the matter, to be so surprised. Ah, surely no one had ever said such a thing to her until now. From what I've heard, her former boss and fiancé seemed to be quite a piece of trash, after all.

Thank you very much. Actually, I proposed this in the Jilgista Kingdom as well, but I was scolded and told it wasn't within my domain to think about, so this might be an overstepping opinion, but……

Even so, after that preface she said while still looking hesitant, I was once again surprised by the content Layla proposed.

Could we not spread the method for making this disinfectant to the Royal Capital…… no, throughout the entire country? As I explained earlier, it is a very simple method to make. The Director said it was like cooking, and that is exactly right; it is a medicine even a commoner housewife without expert knowledge could make if she heard how. The ingredients are also just water and medicinal herbs growing nearby. Epidemics often spread from the impoverished class, but if we sell this as a medicine, they might not be able to afford it.

……Layla! That is an incredibly magnificent method. You think so too, don't you, Director?

Oh, son. Why are you so proud as if it were your own doing? It is true that you were the one who brought back such a wonderful treasure, but still.

Yes, I am of the same opinion. We will use the completed medicine in the Royal Castle for now to confirm its effectiveness, but in parallel with that, I will advance the circulation of the recipe.

Thank you very much. But…… if we do that, won't it become a major task that involves not just the laboratory, but other departments as well?

It's true; first, I have to pass the talk to the Prime Minister and explain it to the King and others. Then, hand the recipe to the nobles of each territory and have them make it known to their territory's citizens. But, it will be fine.

It is not a problem. I am here for exactly that purpose, so leave it to me.

Layla, when it comes to moving people, there is no one who can surpass my mother. Rest assured.

Looking alternately at my face and Ashren's face as if finding it mysterious, Layla nodded despite being bewildered. I could tell her the detailed circumstances, but that is for later. Let us say it's fine for now.

Bottling it with just the two of you will be tough, so I will go call some people.

No, if we can just get the bottles, Layla and I will handle the rest by ourselves.

My, my, it seems I am playing the third wheel. When I chuckled, Ashren glared at me. Yes, yes, your mother will be considerate and leave, so do your best with the rest.

I waved my hand at the two of them and decided to knock on the door of the Medicinal Herb Department.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>


Support Me