Tuesday, August 18, 2026

[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 20


Old Castle by the Lake 4


I had him let me row the boat once on the way, but it was harder than expected. It is frustrating, but if Ashren-sama hadn't been there, I might have been stranded on a lake where the opposite shore is visible.

When I held the oars, the boat went unsteadily somewhere or drew circles in the same place, but with Ashren-sama, it smoothly headed for the island. What is the difference?

Reaching the island in the blink of an eye, he stopped the boat as if washing it up on the shore. My backpack was snatched away before I could grab it, and Ashren-sama carried it on his back.

So, where do you intend to head?

To the old castle to rescue the princess, of course.

In that case, shall I take care of the kiss?

If the princess agrees to it.

A princess, huh, Ashren-sama muttered, looking at me reproachfully.

...Aren't you even a little jealous?

Did you say something?

No, nothing.

I couldn't hear the voice he muttered quietly, but it's probably nothing major.

Ashren-sama let out a sigh, drew his sword from its sheath, and swung it toward the bushes. The cleanly sliced leaves fluttered away in the wind. It seems he is looking for a path leading to the old castle, but cutting the waist-high grass is an endless task.

It is unusual for you to carry a sword.

For self-defense, since we were planning to go on a long horseback ride. Hmm, could this possibly be the path?

Stone bricks buried in the dirt could be seen faintly between the grass. After clearing the area, he trampled down the grass, which was still up to his calves, to make a path so it would be easier for me to walk.

Thank you very much.

I have a question, but what did you plan to do if I hadn't been here?

I brought a small knife just in case. But it is highly likely I wouldn't have been able to reach it.

The grass growing was within expectations, but I was a bit too optimistic. Ashren-sama stood in front, mowing down the grass with his sword and pushing his way through for me. I followed behind him, shrugging my shoulders apologetically.

Thank you very much.

Don't mention it, it's my thanks for letting me see something nice.

He turned around and wickedly narrowed his light blue eyes. Something nice? I tilted my head, and Ashren-sama's gaze fell on my thighs. This guy!

I asked you to forget that.

Unfortunately, I have a good memory.

...Perhaps I should make an amnesia potion.

When I glared at him resentfully, he chuckled, I feel like you actually could, Layla. He truly is an unpredictable man.

But it is a fact that I was saved. He casually lends a hand in places with poor footing and treads down the grass for my sake, so his trousers are covered in mud and grass juice.

Despite everything he says, he is kind. That is exactly why I feel I shouldn't rely on him too much.

Could that be it?

Walking slightly ahead, Ashren-sama stopped and peered beyond the trees. I stood next to him and looked as well, and saw a dirty, dull white brick wall.

I am sure it is. We should be around the center of the island.

Grass and shrubs had proliferated to what must have been the garden, and wild roses grew in clusters everywhere. Pushing through them and struggling a bit with the rose thorns, we finally reached the entrance door entwined with ivy. It's grubby, but it seems the door's color was originally white too. So to speak, a chalk castle.

Who built this old castle?

Apparently, a feudal lord who ruled this land in the past imprisoned his beloved wife who betrayed him here.

That certainly gives it quite a history.

It seems the story of the imprisoned wife changed over time into a trapped princess. It is common for folklore to change its contents as time passes. A cheating wife is unsuited for a story told to children, after all.

So the lake water was cursed by the curse of the betrayed husband or the imprisoned wife, right?

Well, that is what has been passed down around here, but according to documents I researched, it seems the water was undrinkable even before the wife was imprisoned.

In that case, I am curious after all. Why build a castle here?

You have never come to this island before, have you?

Yeah. I realized the reason the lake water couldn't be drunk a few years ago. My mother knows it too, but that has nothing to do with the old castle.

It is true that the old castle and the lake water are unrelated. So I can somewhat understand why he didn't come to this island, but.

Aren't you curious? About why they went out of their way to build a castle in a place where drinking water had to be transported by boat.

Isn't that exactly why it is perfect for imprisonment? He could just threaten not to give her water if she defied him.

Hmm, two-faced as expected. Unwavering.

Water is a lifeline. There must have been servants as well, so transporting large amounts of water every time is inefficient. If he wanted to threaten her against rebelling, cutting off food should have been enough.

In other words...?

His ice-blue eyes peered in, trying to read my thoughts. I felt a bit good, somehow outsmarting Ashren-sama. Perhaps my personality has become a bit twisted too.

There was drinking water on this island.

Even though it is surrounded by a lake and the well water is undrinkable?

But there was. Aren't you curious about how they secured their drinking water?

Even if I learned that, it wouldn't necessarily be useful for making medicine, and I don't expect it to be. After all, today is a holiday, my first trip in years. I want to do something a little out of the ordinary. All the more if it satisfies my intellectual curiosity.

I see. It looks like it will be a fun holiday.

Right?

Now then. Where shall we start our exploration? And if I find the sleeping princess while we're at it, I'll let you know. Ashren-sama.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>


Support Me