[WN] Jitsuwa 3-Domedatta : Chapter 441


Chapter 441

(Kyle Calendar Year 515: Age 22)

Victory Commemoration Ceremony


Translator : PolterGlast


The day after matters regarding our own people settled down, we attended the victory commemoration ceremony. Notably, participating in this ceremony as sworn allies who saved the Demon Territory Dukedom were Krugel-heika of the Fearalt Principality, who had accompanied us from the Imperial Capital, and Clarisse-denka as the proxy for the King of the Kyle Kingdom. Therefore, officially, it had to be the grandest ceremony since the inception of the Demon Territory Dukedom, but... the venue, although called a Royal Palace, was modestly built for appearances, about the size of a provincial noble's residence. For the time being, we made sure the grand hall alone had appropriate spaciousness and decorations so we could maintain minimum appearances.

Krugel-heika, King of the Fearalt Principality, and Clarisse-denka, proxy for the King of the Kyle Kingdom, entering!

With those words, amidst grand applause from everyone lined up, the two entered the venue. After exchanging a firm handshake with me respectively, they took their seats in the VIP chairs set up to the left and right of the throne. Honestly... the fact that I, who was merely a subordinate just a short while ago, am welcoming them as equal sworn allies makes me feel the most restless.

Both your countries are our sworn allies. We express our heartfelt gratitude for saving our country from its predicament in this recent campaign, and by demonstrating that with sincerity, we wish to make it proof of our unchanging friendship going forward.

Not at all, there is no need for thanks. I myself had my life saved by the Archduke, and was indebted to you in the suppression of the civil war. This is but a part of returning the favor, so there is no need for you to feel troubled. Going forward, I wish to maintain a lasting friendship with my friend.

I speak on behalf of my father, the King of Kyle. To begin with, Archduke-heika is a friend of the Kyle Kingdom and a benefactor of the nation. This time, we merely did what was natural as a friendly nation.

I express my gratitude to the two of you anew. As a token of those feelings, first, I would like to separately present an equivalent of four hundred thousand Kingdom Gold Coins from the Demon Territory Dukedom to the Kyle Kingdom as a reward, so I ask Clarisse-denka to mediate this to the King-heika.

Of course, a reward from the Empire has already been paid to both countries, but we can't just take a free ride. The calculation is: fifteen thousand participating soldiers × 20 gold coins, plus additional stationing expenses of five thousand soldiers × 10 gold coins, making a total of three hundred and fifty thousand coins, and another equivalent of 50,000 coins for miscellaneous expenses.

To Krugel-heika of the Fearalt Principality, we will similarly present an equivalent of one hundred thousand Kingdom Gold Coins, and additionally, as a token of gratitude from our country, we will construct a highway connecting the national border of the Griffonia Empire and your Principality free of charge, supporting trade among the three countries.

This is construction work outside the territory of the Demon Territory Dukedom, but an agreement has already been reached among the three parties—myself, the new Emperor, and Krugel-heika—in the Imperial Capital. The Demon Territory Dukedom plans to construct a highway leading to their respective national borders, then build and hand over a gateway at the border. This area of work is exactly suitable for us, who employ many Earth Mages. Actually, traveling from the Principality's capital, Feari, to the Empire or the Demon Territory Dukedom is far faster via the bypass on the southern side of the Principality than going via the western border of the Kyle Kingdom far away. However, even though it's called a bypass, there hasn't even been a proper road until now, and due to many difficult spots, only a small number of troops could pass through. After Krugel-heika passed through it leading an army for the first time during the previous harvest festival, it seems the bypass is being improved little by little. Constructing it into a proper highway and making it a commercial route this time is my reward. Fortunately, the location of the national border on the Empire's side is the territory of Count Durul, who newly became a Count, so there's no need for unnecessary hesitation. To begin with, if the highway is completed, it's a profitable story for all three countries. As I was thinking that, Raymond stepped forward and bowed first to the two guests, and then to me.

Then from here on, in the presence of both Heikas and Denka, we will proceed with the awards ceremony for distinguished services for everyone. First, for the highest military exploits, the Supreme Commander of the Garrison Force, Viscount Solis von Alexis, step forward!

Alexis is, of course, the one with the highest military exploits acknowledged by everyone. After all, he not only repelled an overwhelmingly superior enemy army and protected the Third Prince's mandated territory, but also took as many as twenty-five thousand enemy soldiers prisoner.

Alexis, your work can only be described as splendid. You supported the front line well with few troops and protected the territory residents. Recognizing this work, I declare you the highest in military exploits.

Somehow... even though I said that to the kneeling Alexis, since I'm usually on the receiving end of the awards ceremony, being on the awarding side feels incredibly awkward.

Not at all, this is all thanks to Archduke-heika's meticulous preparations, the numerous strategies you bestowed, and the arduous efforts of the generals. However, I lost Heika's sworn ally and valuable commander (Gale), along with many soldiers. I naturally deserve a reprimand, and my inadequate self is filled with shame. I cannot accept such an excessive evaluation.

Saying so, Alexis apologized anew, but the loss of Gale is not his responsibility. That is my responsibility. Moreover, winning without incurring casualties is impossible, and while it is natural to show condolences to the war dead, protecting more people with fewer casualties should be rewarded.

It was certainly a painful battle. Even so, despite being overwhelmingly disadvantaged, facing it without faltering and winning is something that should be rewarded, I think. Alexis, please look forward.

I stared intently at Alexis and then smiled. Actually, after the meeting the day before, he had visited me individually as well. Saying, I will take responsibility for this loss and decline a promotion in peerage and rewards, or please give me some form of punishment, he resorted to direct negotiation. Of course, I replied, I will consider it and tell you at tomorrow's ceremony, though.

I declare anew that you have no crime. Going forward, you will no longer inherit Marquis Solis's territory; instead, I want to entrust you with the one southern county of the former Istoria Orthodox Theocracy including Tria, and the territory ceded from the Lute Kingdom.

Th-Then...

You want to say it's no different from what I told you before, right? But that's wrong. The entire new post was originally another country; you will need to devote yourself to governance, and it couldn't possibly be a simple job. To you who desires a crime, I am forcing troubles and responsibilities upon you.

In essence, it's just changing the way of thinking or the way it's phrased (how it looks). Because practically, it's land of a country that was originally hostile, and the one southern county wasn't handed over to us either.

Alexis, from here on you will become a Margrave; I entrust you with corresponding authority, so become the guardian solidifying the eastern part of the national territory.

「「「「「Ooooh」」」」」

At my words, the venue was enveloped in a stir all at once. Because Alexis is now the undeniably most successful person in the Demon Territory Dukedom, after all. Originally the second son of a Baron family without a peerage, he became a Baronet through military exploits, and he, who was a Baronet until just two years ago, became a Viscount, and this time became a Margrave possessing vast territory. At this point, Alexis also seemed to have steeled his resolve. He was smiling with eyes that seemed to say That's unfair, just a little bit, though.

Ha! It is an honor far exceeding my meager abilities, but I shall gratefully accept it.

Furthermore, I will grant Margrave Solis 150,000 gold coins as a reward, so I rely on you for the reinforcement of defense and development of the new territory.

Ha, I respectfully accept, and will strive for the development of my new post with the received reward.

Then next, for the second place, Marquis Gorman and Marquis Solis, step forward.

From here on, things proceeded without any particular irregularities, exactly as discussed the day before. Third place was Gale, who risked his life to save ten thousand civilians and became deceased. Fourth place was the Commander, Count Falmus (Margrave), and Viscount Bold. Besides them, those who became Knights or Baronets due to military exploits were called, and each was appointed to a new position based on their achievements. Among them were young men newly appointed to the peerage of Knight. Well... even though I say young men, they are the same age as me, my former academy classmates. Mark, Mizel, Sean, Hyman—they, who had previously distinguished themselves in various departments, officially became Knights of the Demon Territory Dukedom through this campaign. Of course, there is the point that I recommended them, but each was also recommended by others. Sean's active role was such that I received a letter of thanks from Alicia-denka; Mizel similarly from General Golpa; Mark had recommendations from Gord and Yoltia; and Hyman had a recommendation from Rosa. This was something I also didn't know, but it seems Hyman fought a desperate battle leading his subordinate hundred cavalry to save Rosa and the orphans, and protected them through to the end risking his life. Seeing the proud figures of them, who were fellow classmates, somehow made me feel proud as well. Once the awards ceremony finished its course, I spoke to everyone anew.

Also, to everyone who participated in the ceremony from the Demon Territory Dukedom, I want to convey two things. One: the soldiers who served in the army will each be paid a victory distribution fund, but I will leave the management of that to each lord. However, to the war dead, the country will pay an additional 40 gold coins, and intends to spare no support whatsoever so their families can make a living.

Yes, the country will take responsibility and look after the left-behind families, and provide support such as preferential job placements so they can make a living. This is not limited to the direct control territories, but applies to all soldiers (citizens).

To those who suffered battle wounds and require long-term medical treatment, 20 gold coins will be added as solatium; and to those who returned to us after the battle and volunteered to become new soldiers, 20 gold coins will be paid as an outfit allowance.

Incidentally, the volunteers who returned are not only the five thousand who returned from the expedition to Imperial Territory. We obtained an enormous number of prisoners in the three-country expedition; among them, one thousand Longbow soldiers were entrusted to the Demon Territory Dukedom, and all other prisoners were entrusted to the newly born Lute-Vile-Cain Kingdom as prisoners or candidates for new citizens supporting it.

Furthermore, not only in the direct control territories but within each house, to those who take a position of Knight peerage or above through the awards ceremony, the Demon Territory Dukedom will pay a reward individually. This includes not only those serving in military duties, but also those who served in political affairs in the rear and supported the front lines.

「「「「「What!」」」」」

Well, since it's not a large sum of money, if additions are necessary, each house can do it individually. Since it's a reward of gratitude paid as the Archduke to their subordinates—excluding the lords who grant rewards through the awards ceremony—I think it's fine for this part to be uniform.

Equivalent to Knight peerage: 300 gold coins (approx. 110 people) Equivalent to Baronet peerage: 500 gold coins (25 people: Mages and others) Equivalent to Baron peerage: 800 gold coins (12 people: wives and Mages) Equivalent to Viscount peerage: 1,000 gold coins (Yuka and Gale (special promotion))

In addition to this, I plan to pay an allowance of 30 gold coins per person to those who served in the army from my direct control territory, and 10 gold coins to those who remained in the rear as a garrison force and protected the territory. As a result... up to this point, I have already used up nearly half of the rewards from the Empire and the reparations from the three countries. The rewards obtained in the process of establishing the Demon Territory Dukedom long ago were used for subsequent development, construction of the defense system, war expenses this time, acceptance and support funds for refugees, purchasing food support, etc., and except for what was turned over to the fund, it's almost completely used up. Therefore, the remaining funds as a nation amount to approximately three million gold coins. Somehow... it disappeared in the blink of an eye. Three million coins is an incredible number, but now that the country has grown large, the personnel expenses paid to soldiers and officials (and reception staff) have also become enormous. So if we cut corners on domestic affairs, it will probably disappear in the blink of an eye. It's super scary...

Archduke-heika... preparations are complete.

Oops, I was spacing out. I returned to myself at Raymond's call. Looking anew, it seemed preparations for the next stage were complete.

Today, this day, is thanks to the assistance of the two countries; I wish to make this a ceremony where we appreciate that, pledge to exchange friendship as allied nations going forward, and engrave it in our hearts. Therefore, first, upon moving to the celebration party at the end of the ceremony, I would like to exchange cups of pledging with everyone anew.

When I stated that, the waiting servers went around distributing sake cups to all ceremony attendees at once. Participating in this ceremony were approximately one hundred and fifty people holding noble ranks in the Demon Territory Dukedom, including military and civil officials with treatment equivalent to Knight peerage or above, incorporating those scheduled for promotion, as well as twenty key military officials of the Fearalt Principality and Kyle Kingdom, such as Marquis Flame and Knight Commander Gouras. Thinking carefully about it, there are nearly one hundred and fifty people with treatment equivalent to Knight peerage or above just among the participants belonging to the Demon Territory Dukedom... A little over ten years ago, the Baron Solis family had only two Knights. Thinking about that, it's a terrifying thing. Once glasses were distributed to everyone, we too descended from the platform and mingled among the attendees. From here on is the real celebration party; the formal ceremony part is over.

Then, to the victory in battle, friendly nations, and... gratitude to our friends, cheers!

Because it was a celebratory occasion, I deliberately didn't voice it, but in my heart, I chanted who fell in battle after and.

To a new future including new friends!

To the new future of the five countries!

Krugel-heika and Clarisse-denka responded, and then everyone...

「「「「「To victory! To our friends!」」」」」

Everyone raised their cups, chanted loudly in unison, and drained them. Among them, perhaps sharing my feelings, there were those who had tears welling up in their eyes while thinking of departed friends.

Hahaha, even though it's a happy drinking party, it's lonely without the Boss who teases me calling me a bandit.

Indeed. Usually, the flow would be being dragged around until morning even after the celebration party, but now even that is...

Right. I was often teased too, with him saying It's a celebratory occasion, so don't make such a gloomy face... but seeing us now, I'm sure he'd...

Raphael, Gord, and Christoph seemed unable to help feeling a sense of desolation respectively. Gale, who would take the initiative to act lively and liven up the atmosphere at such occasions, is no longer here. I entered their circle anew and raised my cup.

To Gale! To the Boss! To the Chief! To our friend!

To the Boss, to the Chief, to a friend, huh... Gale was adored by everyone.

Well, if we have gloomy faces, we'll be scolded by the Boss. Takuhir-sama was finally able to meet his wives after a long time too, so a dreary place like this can be put off until later. I too... must go reward Reim and the others who went through hardships in the infiltration operation this time.

Saying so, Raphael hurriedly disappeared.

「「!!!」」

「「That's right, we too...」」

Saying so, Gord, Christoph, and others who were beginning to gather hurriedly bowed and dispersed; but right behind them stood Krugel-heika and Clarisse-denka holding several sake bottles. Tch, you fled sharp-sightedly, didn't you? Well... I understand that feeling. It's not that they are disliked at all, but exchanging cups with a King and a Princess-denka of other countries is a terrifyingly awe-inspiring thing for them, after all. Even though the people themselves have absolutely no ill intent.

My? It was bustling until just a moment ago, but are you alone before I knew it, Archduke-heika? I was thinking of raising a toast with everyone together with Krugel-heika, though...

No, you guys scattered them! Because even I right now have reservations about drinking alcohol with the King and Princess of a country.

No... everyone was considerate, telling me to go to my wives whom I'm meeting after a long time.

This is a fact. Yoltia had been with me the whole time since the expedition to the southern part of the Empire, and Miseri also shared the journey to the Imperial Capital. But I hadn't seen Yuka, who took on the role of staying behind, for a while. I did have a chance to talk with her after returning from the Empire, though. More than that, Anne and Claire couldn't leave until the management in Teigoon and Ishtar settled down. The two of them refrained from traveling partly because they were pregnant, and I myself couldn't leave Kusanagi for various reasons until departing for the Imperial Capital after finishing the three-country expedition. Having finished all management, the two traveled slowly by carriage and managed to return at the very last minute in time for the ceremony. Therefore, this ceremony was the first time I was able to see them in a long time; that's how it turned out.

That's good. We too must greet the wives who supported this battle from the shadows, then.

No, that's... Sorry. With no choice, I took the two of them and went to Anne and Claire. However, after just exchanging greetings and a few words with the humbled two, the two of them seemed to move on to another circle again. I wonder if they were being considerate in their own way? But at the very end... The tomboy thoroughly left her mark.

Please by all means give birth to a healthy child. It is an important child who will eventually be united with the child born between Krugel-heika and me, after all. If that happens, we will be bound by new ties as relatives, won't we.

「「「!!!」」」

To have a marriage destination decided before even being born... No, that's not the issue! If handled poorly, into royalty... not only that, the future King... Because there was even the possibility of it becoming such an absurd story. At the final bombshell statement, not only I, but Anne and Claire were holding their stomachs, grandly frozen. The flag for an event ten-odd years later was raised at exactly this moment.

Income

·         Reward from the Empire: 5,000,000 gold coins (Converted to Kingdom Gold Coins)

·         Post-war Reparations: 300,000 gold coins (from the three countries)

Total: 5,300,000 gold coins

Expenditure

·         Reinforcement Reward Money: 500,000 gold coins

·         Awards Ceremony for Distinguished Services (Lords): 710,000 gold coins

·         Awards Ceremony for Distinguished Services (Subordinates): 60,000 gold coins

·         Direct Control Territory Soldier Distribution: 800,000 gold coins

·         Solatium Estimate: 110,000 gold coins

·         New Soldier Support Fund: 120,000 gold coins

Total: 2,300,000 gold coins

Balance: 3,000,000 gold coins

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>