[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 34


Rain, a Cave, and the Truth 9


Well, I didn't think you would do anything reckless in a place like this, though.

After patting Ashren-sama's shoulder pon, Mark-sama handed me a rope.

There are villagers at the top of this cliff. When I give the signal, they will pull you up, so keep your body perpendicular to the cliff. Imagine walking up the cliff with the soles of your shoes. Think you can do it?

Yes, I will try.

Saying "Well then," Mark-sama was about to tie the rope around my body, but Ashren-sama swiftly took it and tightly wrapped it around my waist himself.

I wrapped it a little tight because it must not come loose halfway through, but is it painful?

I am fine.

Even so, you are thin. It looks like you might break; you should eat more properly.

Even with this, I have plumped up quite a bit since coming to the Kanista Kingdom. Thanks to a healthy lifestyle of eating three proper meals and getting enough sleep, my bony body had regained feminine lines.

Now then, are you two ready?

Of course.

I will do my best.

While looking worriedly at me as I placed my shoe soles against the cliff and hyped myself up, Mark-sama blew a sharp whistle with his fingers. That sound served as a signal, and just as I thought the rope had been pulled taut, my body was pulled upward.

Despite nearly losing my footing a few times on the way, by the time I finally reached the top of the cliff, I was completely exhausted. Seeing me plop down there, the man who pulled me up widened his kite-brown eyes in surprise that I was a woman.

I was completely sure you were a man. You were so light, I did think it was strange.

Perhaps due to that lightness, or thanks to the man's arm strength, I was the first to reach the top of the cliff.

Thank you very much. You saved me.

No, no, this much is nothing big. Besides, that young man over there paid a generous reward in advance. It's good pocket money.

"Here," the man said, handing me some bread.

My wife gave it to me, telling me to take it since you'd surely be hungry.

Thank you very much. I have only eaten dried meat since yesterday.

I see. Well then, the first thing to do when we reach the village is eat.

He looked about forty years old. Floating a friendly smile on his dark skin, he patted my shoulder bon with his large hand.

While this was happening, both Ashren-sama and Mark-sama reached the top of the cliff. After putting some bread and water into our stomachs, we were guided by the villagers and headed toward the Liebel Village we had been searching for.

Liebel Village was a place where flat land spread out in the mountains, as if it had been hollowed out. In that village where about forty households lived, houses were sparsely built amidst lush green wheat fields.

The villagers were split roughly in half between those doing agriculture on the flatland and those growing fruit on the slopes. It was a tranquil village that lived basically self-sufficiently, growing vegetables in each household, setting traps in the mountains to catch animals, and catching fish in the river.

The one who pulled me up was the village chief of Liebel Village. We were first invited to the village chief's house and treated to a soup full of summer vegetables and grilled fish prepared by his wife.

I apologize that this is all we have.

We thanked the village chief and his wife, who had immediately become humbled upon learning we were nobles, saying, "Thank you very much," and completely and deliciously finished our meals. I didn't know fresh vegetables could be this delicious.

Ashren-sama asked for seconds three times, and once our stomachs were completely full, we decided to get to the main topic.

Has there ever been a mass withering of wheat in this village?

No, there has not. It seems to happen once every few years in the villages below, and every time it does, there are even people who go out of their way to come buy some from this village... sir.

In response to Ashren-sama's question, the village chief made himself smaller and scratched his slightly graying brown hair roughly, showing he wasn't capable of using polite language.

Do you have any idea about why that is? For example, fertilizer or pesticide passed down only in this region, the way you raise seedlings—anything is fine, so please tell us.

Yes. But, even if you say anything... We ain't doing anything particularly unusual, though.

"Any ideas?" the village chief called out to several villagers who were peeking at our situation from near the entrance. Those called upon also tilted their heads, just looking at each other. Before long, one villager timidly stepped forward.

U-Um. I came as an adopted son-in-law from a village at the foot of this mountain, but the way we grow wheat is the same. If I had to say, because it's up on the mountain and the temperature is lower here, the time to sow seeds and harvest is just a bit later than at the foot.

How much is 'a bit later'?

About two weeks, I'd say.

Two weeks. A reasonable timeframe considering the height of the mountain.

Hey, why aren't Daddy and the others talking about the Water God?

The adorable voice that suddenly reached us belonged to the village chief's youngest daughter. She was tilting her head while tugging on his wife's arm. In response, the wife furrowed her brows, saying, "Shh, Sisil, go over there!" and tried to push her into the next room.

Um, what is this Water God?

No, it's just something a child says. I apologize.

You're always saying that the wheat doesn't wither because the Water God is in this village, aren't you, Mommy!

Sisil puffed out her red cheeks and argued back, but the wife covered her mouth and bowed her head.

I am so sorry. She was raised in such a remote village, so she doesn't know how to speak properly.

No, it is fine. So, what is this Water God?

Well, it's not like we're enshrining anything in particular. Around the time of spring sowing, we just dribble a little liquor into the water source, praying for a good harvest this year, too.

The amount of liquor that goes into our stomachs is dozens of times more than what we dribble in, to tell the truth.

The villager who had married in from the village at the foot agreed with the village chief. Ashren-sama asked about the details of that ritual, but the truth of the matter was that it was just a gathering where farmers growing wheat got together to drink liquor while flower viewing, calling it a celebration for a good harvest.

Ashren-sama, um...

I know. You want to go to that water source, right? I will go negotiate with the village chief, so wait a bit.

Saying so, Ashren-sama handed several silver coins to the village chief and secured us a guide. The village chief was humbled, saying, "We can't accept this much," but Ashren-sama settled the matter including the meal expenses, and we decided to head to that water source immediately.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>