Layla's
Footsteps 2
The
days following that were busy.
If
the poison contained in the stratum was the cause, there was something I wanted
to try. Ashren-sama felt the same way.
What
came to mind for the two of us was the algae we found at the old castle by the
lake. We hoped that it might also absorb the poison that causes the mass
withering of wheat.
First,
we collected well water in a large barrel and put the cave rocks in it for a
whole day to create water containing the poison. Next, we transferred that into
an aquarium overgrown with algae. If the poison disappeared with this, it would
mean the algae had absorbed it.
Next,
we prepared ten planters, deciding to sprinkle the aquarium water on a
different planter each day. The wheat sprinkled with water on the first day
completely withered. The same for the second and third days.
On
the fifth day, when frustration began to seep in that perhaps the algae doesn't
absorb the poison, there was a slight change. The wheat in the planters stopped
withering.
As
a result, we found out that it apparently takes at least a week for the algae
to absorb and detoxify the poison. When I reported this to the Director,
「Amazing! To already have a prospect
for a solution, as expected of you, Layla.」
「No, it was a coincidence. Besides, Ashren-sama
helped me too, and it was Tick and Flora who multiplied the algae
so much.」
「Yes, I know they are working hard
too. But even so, I am truly amazed by your aptitude as a researcher.」
「Thank you very much.」
As
I smiled, honestly accepting those words, the Director widened her eyes
slightly before gently narrowing her ice-blue eyes.
When
I was first praised after coming to the Kanista Kingdom, I didn't know
what to do. I just flusteredly put my hands on my cheeks. But now, I intend to
honestly accept those words and rejoice. Although I can't smile as cutely as Aisha,
I intend to express my gratitude to those who acknowledge me.
「You have come to make a very good
expression, haven't you.」
「Is that so?」
「Yes. When we first met, I thought
you were a dependable young lady, but I was a little worried about how tense
you seemed, as if you were shouldering everything alone. But now, you look very
at ease and unconstrained.」
So
that is how the Director had seen me. Perhaps the reason she frequently
poked her head into the separate estate was because she was worried about me.
「It is all thanks to everyone in the
laboratory.」
「As a mother, I am happy if my
foolish son is included among them.」
「Of course. Ashren-sama has
helped me the most.」
The
face of the Director, laughing "That is good, then," was the
face of a mother. As expected, she looks like Ashren-sama, I
thought.
「Oh right, I am going to report to
the King now, but are the documents I asked for ready?」
「Yes, right here.」
What
I handed over was a report and research results detailing the cause of the mass
withering of wheat and the countermeasures against it. At the very end, my name
was written.
I
thought Ashren-sama's, Flora's, and Tick's names should be
written too, but everyone refused. They said this should be reported under my
name.
「Good work. Layla, it will be
tough from here on out, but do your best.」
Saying
that, the Director left the room.
※※※※※
「Now then, it's going to get busy today.」
Flora hyped herself up while rolling up
her sleeves. Tick also had his hands on his hips, brimming with
motivation.
After
the Director's report, it was decided that the entire castle would
undertake the cultivation of algae. Today is the day a large number of
aquariums will be delivered by carriage. That number is five hundred. A number
that makes me a little dizzy. What's more, double that amount will arrive in
two weeks.
Fortunately,
the reproductive capability of the algae is amazing, and we have ten aquariums
overgrown with algae on hand. The size of an aquarium is about what you can
hold with both hands.
Since
the laboratory is cramped, we decided to do the work behind the castle. Loading
the ten aquariums onto a cart and having them carried slowly, we trailed along
behind it in a group.
Looking
up at the sky, it was a cloudless clear weather, but according to Ashren-sama,
it wouldn't be strange to enter the long rain season at any time.
I
pulled down the hat I bought when going to Liebel Village deeply with
both hands. The braids on my left and right bounced with every step. My outfit
was a washed-out shirt and a knee-length skirt. Since we were using water, I
wore boots instead of rubber boots.
Even
though we were moving slowly, we were still inside the castle grounds. We soon
arrived at the backyard, and Ashren-sama, Tick, and the coachman
unloaded the aquariums near the well.
The
Director was already there, and limestone was casually placed at her
feet. The research result from Flora and Tick was that the
algae's reproduction speed increases when it absorbs the substances contained
in limestone. It's essentially like food for the algae.
The
workflow involves putting water, limestone, and small cut pieces of algae into
a new aquarium, and then carrying it to a sunny place. Since it would be tough
with just us, the people from the Pharmaceutical Department decided to
help as well.
「Reizan-sama, good morning. Please take
care of us today.」
「Good morning. I have received the
explanation from the Director. The staff here also say they definitely
want to help, so please don't hesitate to use us.」
「Thank you very much.」
As
I thanked him and was about to leave, Reizan-sama stared at me intently.
「Compared to when we first met, you
seem to have brightened up.」
「Is that so?」
I
ended up being told the same thing as by the Director. Just how did I
look when I had just arrived?
While
talking with Reizan-sama, there was the sound of horse hooves and
wheels, and a cart loaded with many aquariums arrived. Behind it, the gentlemen
from the knight order came trailing along.
「Ashren, I will leave today's command to
you.」
「Knight Commander, thank you for your cooperation.」
Where
to place the aquariums was actually a problem. If placed outside, they would suffer
bird damage, but the greenhouse was full of precious medicinal herbs. So what
was thought up was to place them by the windows of every room in the castle.
They
would place them in the sunniest spot in each room and apparently even take
care of them. It had somehow turned into a massive undertaking involving the
entire country, and when I heard this plan, my stomach hurt and I couldn't
swallow my food.
The
castle has up to three floors, and carrying the aquariums to each room is a
test of physical strength. That is why the gentlemen from the knight order came
to help. The muscles visible from their rolled-up sleeves are truly reassuring.
-----
Thank you for my Patrons !!
[Platinum]
-
[Gold]
B random
Nepheos
[Silver]
Corey Hicks
Creris
Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon
Jake Seagraves
Matthew Fraser
Tbaum56
Xavier O'Donoghue
Anton Lim
Baelee
Christopher Feliciano
Ctdela
Curious Panda
nick nasca
SD Fox
Sébastien Dionne
Z
Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon
-----