[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 60


A Pre-wedding Trip in the Name of a Field Investigation 3

 

The next day, the Hadren Earl's villa we arrived at in the evening was a classical stone building.

Its profound atmosphere was reminiscent of an era when it was called the linchpin of the border. Passing through the arched stone gate, a well-tended rose garden spread out before us. The path leading to the mansion also had several arches, though smaller than the one at the entrance, and with green ivy entwining them and red, yellow, and pink roses blooming in full glory, it looked like an old castle from a storybook.

Blake-sama, who I was completely sure was going to travel with us, had apparently returned home a step ahead.

He said it was to inform his parents at the main residence that we were coming, and to prepare various things for our stay at the villa.

When we got off the carriage in front of the villa, the servant waiting at the entrance went inside the building, and soon a red-haired young man came out.

The green eyes peeking out from between his unruly, wavy hair were round and cute. Looking like a puppy, despite his adorable appearance, he placed a hand on his chest and bowed with a calm voice and gentle demeanor.

「Ashren-sama, it has been a long time. My older brother is in your care at the castle. Also, Layla-san, it is a pleasure to meet you. My name is Blake Hadren. Please call me Blake.」

「It is my brother who is in your care. He is probably forcing unreasonable demands on him every day anyway.」

「I am Layla Wilbas. Thank you for accepting despite the sudden request.」

「Originally, my father and mother should have also come to the villa, but Claude-sama told them it would be fine if just I was here, so my parents are at the main residence. It is about a half-day carriage ride from here.」

「We are here this time as part of a field investigation for the Pharmacology Laboratory. Your cooperation, Blake, is more than enough.」

After exchanging brief greetings and leaving our luggage with the maids, we were guided to the dining room where our meal was prepared.

The slightly antique design of the chandelier and the stained glass set into the windows suited the atmosphere of the villa very well. There was also a large fireplace on the wall, and just as I was wondering about it since I heard it was a warm climate, he told us that it gets surprisingly cold in the winter.

The Hadren territory is a place rich in nature, and the dishes used fish caught in the river and deer meat hunted in the forest. The vegetables were sourced directly from neighboring farmers, and dessert was a cake topped generously with sauce made from wild strawberries picked in the mountains.

Blake-san is two years younger than us, but he is unafraid, full of curiosity, and rich in topics of conversation. His eyes sparkled as he talked about how he is working on developing special products and technological innovation to make the frontier land of the Hadren territory more prosperous.

He is a very fine young man, and above all, a gentleman who asked me, "I was told by Claude-sama to prepare a room for you to share, but you can also stay in separate rooms. What would you like to do?" Of course, I told him separate rooms.

And yet.

「...Why are you in my room, Ashren-sama?」

「We arrived safely at our destination, so I just thought we could take our time and talk for the first time in a while. I brought black tea and cookies for a late-night snack, so it should be fine to come in, right?」

Saying so, he slipped past me and placed the tray he was holding onto the low table in the middle of the room. Next to the black tea were two small bottles.

*** (Ashren's Perspective)

Pretending not to notice Layla's bewilderment, I lined up the black tea on the table and sat down, and she nervously took a seat next to me.

There was a sofa on the opposite side, but perhaps because sitting next to me has completely become her regular spot, the option to sit there didn't seem to enter her mind. It's inevitable that there's a bit more distance between us than usual. We usually relaxed in the living room or my office, but here, there is also a canopy bed.

Inside the transparent small bottles placed with the black tea was the sap of the Kachi tree. Layla's gaze was poured onto that single point, and her copper-red eyes began to sparkle. It seems she is interested in all plants, not just medicinal herbs. Though, any plant has the potential to become medicine.

「Ashren-sama, is it alright if I eat this sap just by itself?」

「I thought you would say that. I don't mind. It's apparently delicious eaten on top of cookies, too.」

When I said that, she eagerly took the small bottle in her hand and held it up as if to let the light shine through it. A little lighter in color than the amber of honey, it swayed thickly inside the small bottle.

Was it the fatigue from the long journey that awakened my mischievous spirit?

I took the small bottle from Layla's hand, opened the lid, scooped some with a spoon, and dropped it into her black tea. I poured the next spoonful onto a cookie, and the last scoop I brought to Layla's mouth.

Layla's eyes, which had been blankly looking at the spoon, gradually opened wide, and at the same time, her cheeks turned red.

「I-I can eat it by myself.」

「I could scoop it up with my finger instead if you prefer?」

When I said that, I was glared at fiercely. I know; that's why I endured and used a spoon. When I poked her lips with the tip of the spoon saying, "Here," they opened slightly as if prompted.

I somewhat forcefully pried her mouth open, put the spoon inside, turned it over, and dropped the Kachi sap onto her tongue. Sensing her tongue moving inside her mouth, eventually there was a small gulp sound.

「Is it delicious?」

「...Yes. It has a clean sweetness, and I might like it more than honey. It's a shame we can't eat this in the royal capital.」

「If it is that delicious, won't you feed me a cookie too?」

「...Pardon?」

I pulled the waist of Layla, who was blushing and hurriedly trying to put some distance between us, toward me, and held the plate with the cookies with my other hand.

「You can eat them, right?」

「Unfortunately, both my hands are occupied.」

「I feel your use of 'unfortunately' is strange, though.」

When I smiled sweetly, Layla gave an "Ugh," pouted her lips, and made a thoughtful face. She's as shy as ever, and I know she's weak to being pushed. Whenever I press her, Layla will eventually grant my requests, even while looking troubled.

Though, I do get scolded if I get too carried away.

I was wondering what would happen this time, when she nervously reached her hand toward the cookies and picked one up. It seems it was within Layla's permissible range. It was worth spending months gradually expanding that permissible range.

「Here.」

As I brought my face close to the hand she offered with an unwilling expression, was it my nature that made me want to trouble her more, or was it because of the sap glistening on Layla's fingertips? Opening my mouth with a chomp, I took both the cookie and Layla's fingertips into my mouth, simultaneously placing the plate I was holding onto the desk.

Grabbing the wrist of Layla, who was trying to escape, with my freed hand, I licked the sap off her fingertips, and Layla turned so bright red I thought she might collapse.

While putting strength into the hand wrapped around her waist, I swallowed the cookie, and Layla's eyes teared up with embarrassment as if she had reached her limit.

Looked up at by tearful copper-red eyes with bright red cheeks, a shiver ran down my spine. Sweat oozed damply on my palms, and I naturally gulped.

"That face has the opposite effect," I thought, and as I was about to pull the hand on her waist even closer, I stopped myself, thinking that anything more would truly be bad. I think I am the number one gentleman in this country. Someone praise me.

When I opened my mouth, she quickly pulled her fingers out, and the eyes glaring at me were cute in a different sense than before. I don't think I am a brat who bullies the girl he likes, but since it makes me want to tease her, it can't be helped.

「A-Ashren-sama!」

「It was so good, I just... you know.」

「Just what!?」

Layla, trembling with anger and embarrassment with a buruburu, was so innocent that, unable to bear it, I dropped a kiss on her lips, and it tasted exactly like the sap she had just eaten.

As I deepened the kiss even further, Layla pulled on the hem of my jacket. I suppose this means anything more is impossible. Thinking it a shame, I pulled my lips away, and for some reason, the anger had vanished from Layla's face.

Was she relieved because I stopped? Or did it mean she was surprised, but didn't dislike it?

If it's the latter... just as I thought that, Layla picked up the small bottle again.

「U-Um. I was thinking, if we make a preservative, couldn't we transport this sap to the royal capital? The road leading to the royal capital was paved, and if merchants pass through often, it's possible to ask them to transport it to the royal capital, right? A-Also, if we can make a preservative, we can extend the expiration dates of medicines too. Lucas-sama, ah, the person I asked to test the hair growth medicine, also said it would be better if it lasted longer...」

「Alright, alright, I get it, so calm down. I won't do anything else.」

When I leaked a wry smile at Layla, who clearly became talkative to change the atmosphere of the place, she pouted her lips and complained.

「I can't restrain myself when you make that face, so please stop.」

「I-I have no such intention!!」

Ignoring her reproach, I handed her the black tea, and after taking a sip, she finally exhaled as if she had calmed down. I also dropped some brandy into my black tea and took a sip. Yeah, good alcohol.

「You are teasing me, aren't you.」

「You are the one who said it, Layla, that you wanted to try doing things lovers do. As your fiancé, I am merely sincerely responding to that request.」

「...You think everything is forgiven if you bring up those words, don't you.」

「Did you dislike it?」

「...I didn't dislike it, but...」

I almost accidentally dropped the cup I was holding.

To my uncharacteristically muttered "Eh?", Layla looked away with a red face. This is... just as I thought that, her passionate speech about how to develop a preservative began again.

Yeah, I get it. This means 'do not step in any further.'

I know when to pull back too. However, I have no intention of letting go of the hand wrapped around her waist, and when I put strength into it, Layla glanced at me and then ate a cookie looking embarrassed. I'm probably forgiven. In that case, I'll stop here for tonight and let the talk about preservatives bloom.

There is absolutely no sex appeal, but that's very Layla-like, and anything more would be bad for me too. Now then, what kind of ideas will she surprise me with tonight? Next to me, unable to suppress my relaxing mouth, Layla began to talk with sparkling eyes.

A face blushing bright red with shyness is good too, but I am sure I like that sparkling face the most.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56


[Bronze]

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Taylor King

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>