[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 66


Monitares Flowers and Sap 3

 

After taking a short stroll in the garden, we decided to return to our room, but an unfamiliar carriage was parked at the entrance.

Wondering what was going on at this hour, I passed by the carriage and entered the entrance hall, where a young man in a white coat and Blake-san were talking with serious faces. Next to them, Gray-san, red-faced, was gulping down the water he had been handed.

「Ashren-sama, Layla-san, perfect timing. Actually, it seems about ten emergency patients with unexplained high fevers have been brought to the town's clinic. They suspect an infectious disease, but according to the doctor, they have no idea what disease corresponds to the symptoms. Please lend us your knowledge.」

「We are not doctors, but we will cooperate with whatever we can. So, what are the symptoms? Also, who is examining the patients right now?」

The doctor Ashren-sama spoke to was in his late twenties. Having seemingly rushed over still wearing his white coat, he explained while slightly flustered.

「My master and senior apprentice are examining the patients. As for the symptoms, there is a sudden high fever exceeding forty degrees, and several of them have broken out in purple rashes.」

「What are the ages and genders of the patients, and were they all brought in at once?」

「Their ages range from a ten-year-old girl to a seventy-year-old man; truly men and women of all ages. The girl was brought in first, then the old man, and so on one after another. It seems all of them attended the girl's birthday party held tonight.」

When he had spoken that far, Gray-san interjected with an "Excuse me." His red face was apparently because he had drunk heavily, and the smell of alcohol was strong.

「An acquaintance's birthday party was held, and everyone was eating and drinking. Finally, we ate apple pie, and a while later, the girl who was the guest of honor developed a fever. At first, everyone thought she had just gotten too excited, but eventually, several adults also started saying they felt sick... Actually, I drank too much alcohol early on and went to sleep right away, so this is all hearsay. Since the symptoms were getting heavier as time passed, they decided it would be best to go to the clinic.」

From the story, food poisoning is the most likely culprit, but that doesn't cause purple rashes. When asked if there were other symptoms, it seems several people are vomiting and having diarrhea.

「The biggest clue is the purple rash. As far as I know, it is something rare.」

「Yeah, I feel like I've read about it in some literature... but it wasn't a book from the Kanista Kingdom.」

As Ashren-sama crossed his arms and pondered, the front yard suddenly became noisy. "Carry him slowly," "Hurry," several men's panicked voices approached, and the front door was roughly thrown open.

「...Prince Elliot?」

There was Prince Elliot, being carried on the back of a well-built knight. Completely different from when we were talking just earlier, his whole body was limp and his breathing was rough.

「A-Actually. Prince Elliot suddenly collapsed, and his fever is very high. Please call a doctor.」

「I am a doctor. Um, for now, please lay him down somewhere.」

The doctor looked around the entrance hall and pointed to a bench placed at the edge. The guards carefully lowered Prince Elliot, and Blake-san ordered the servants to bring things to cool his body.

「T-This is... The same symptoms as the patients brought to the clinic!」

When the doctor rolled up Prince Elliot's sleeve to take his pulse, several purple rashes had formed on his tanned skin. As I blinked, one more, then another one appeared.

「Ashren-sama, do you have any idea what these symptoms might be?」

「One. But Prince Elliot should know more about it than I do.」

Saying so, Ashren-sama switched places with the doctor and lifted Prince Elliot's arm with the rashes so that he could see it too.

「Prince Elliot, please look. These rashes, the fever, and people with vomiting and diarrhea have also been brought to the nearby clinic. Do you have any idea what the name of this disease is?」

「Surely not... However, that is... an endemic disease of our country. This is the Kanista Kingdom... right?」

「So it is true. This is called Bareinurake disease, an endemic disease that breaks out once every dozen years or so in the Tarteria Kingdom.」

Hearing the name Bareinurake disease, I remembered what I had once read in a book. If I recall correctly, the main symptoms are fever and purple rashes all over the body. The incubation period is from a few hours to half a day, and it can lead to death within a day of onset, with a fatality rate of about twenty percent.

Like other diseases, the fatality rate for children and the elderly is higher than for young people with stamina, and in some cases, aftereffects such as numbness in the limbs remain.

Because it is a disease that ravages only the Tarteria Kingdom once every few decades, and patients with the same symptoms do not appear in other countries, research on it has not progressed much. It might not be a good way to think, but it is somewhat inevitable that research on diseases prevalent in one's own country gets prioritized.

「...I apologize for my ignorance despite being a doctor, but is Bareinurake disease airborne?」

「No, the literature I read did not mention such a thing.」

Prince Elliot also nodded weakly. The guard knights were just pacing back and forth, seemingly having no idea how to deal with this disease.

「I have fever reducers on hand, but what should we do?」

When we told him that we worked at the castle's medicinal herb laboratory and mentioned Ashren-sama's status, the doctor was surprised and bowed his head.

「I apologize, I did not know you were such incredible people. The fever reducer cannot cure the disease, but it should alleviate the patients' suffering somewhat.」

As the guard knights carried Prince Elliot to the bedroom, we instructed the doctor to remain and treat him. Blake-san wrote a letter to inform the clinic of this, I prepared the fever reducers, and Ashren-sama decided to hear a more detailed story from Gray.

Having busily done what we each needed to do, as we waited in the dining room with Gray, about thirty minutes later, Ashren-sama and Blake-san arrived holding a thick book.

We sat on the sofa, while Gray, who hesitated to take a seat, just shrunk his body and stood next to the door.

「First, let me tell you what I heard from Gray. As for the people infected with Bareinurake disease, it seems everyone except Gray ate apple pie. The other dishes were served on large platters, so it's unknown who ate what, but it's certain that only Gray, who got drunk and slept, didn't eat the dessert after the meal.」

「Apple pie?」

「Gray's wife brought it; apparently, after boiling down the apples and sugar, she added the sap of the Monitares tree.」

Eh, looking at Gray, he made his body shrink even further.

「P-Prince Elliot was eating it looking so delicious, and when I asked the guard knights, they told me it's common in the Tarteria Kingdom to add Monitares sap to apple pie...」

It seems he asked his wife to make it as a trial.

Seeing Prince Elliot eating it so deliciously, I think it can't be helped that he thought it would be fine to eat.

Eh, does that mean the cause is the Monitares sap? But that is supposed to be something eaten normally in the Tarteria Kingdom. How does that relate to the Bareinurake disease that breaks out once every few decades...

「Is it the temperature?」

「Exactly. Plants can become toxic depending on the temperature. Blake's ancestor, who studied abroad in the Tarteria Kingdom, was also a collector of various materials, and when we went to the library, we found literature regarding the weather of the Tarteria Kingdom.」

Prompted by Ashren-sama's words, Blake-san opened the book to where he had placed a bookmark. There was a graph recording the highest and lowest temperatures for each month of the year.

「Once every few decades, there is a year where the average winter temperature drops sharply. Having said that, it is about the same temperature as winter in the Kanista Kingdom.」

I wonder if it drops below five degrees. In the Jilgista Kingdom, it's not uncommon for winters to go below freezing, so it's a temperature I would consider warm, though.

「It seems it's under investigation, including air currents and ocean currents, and the cause is unknown. However, the Bareinurake disease breaks out in those years. Layla, what is your hypothesis?」

Ashren-sama opened another book. It recorded the years the Bareinurake disease broke out, and the number and ages of the people who died.

「...Let's see. The harvesting of Monitares sap is done from spring to early summer. Does it mean that if the winter temperatures a few months prior are low, the sap becomes toxic? To add to that, although the lowest temperatures vary by year, the temperatures from spring onward are the same every year, so the winter temperatures are not related to the conditions for the Monitares flowers to bloom.」

Whether the flowers bloom or not seems to be determined solely by the early summer temperatures. On the graph, the early summer temperature in the Tarteria Kingdom already exceeds forty degrees. By the way, in the Hadren territory, it is twenty to twenty-five degrees, which is the midsummer temperature in the Jilgista Kingdom. I belatedly realized that wearing long sleeves should be hot.

「...I didn't even think about the flowers, as expected of you. Then, I searched for literature stating that the quality of the sap changes depending on the temperature, but it hadn't been researched from a pharmacological perspective.」

When I tilted my head at the suggestive way of speaking, Ashren-sama looked at Gray.

「I-I eavesdropped on the knights talking. They said that if the winter is cold, the sap becomes highly sticky. Apparently, they've heard their mothers complain, "It was cold this year, so the sap is sticky and hard to use in cooking." The sap I collected is apparently quite sticky.」

I knew Gray was near the knights in the botanical garden, but to think he had overheard such a conversation. Seeing Prince Elliot eating the Monitares sap so deliciously might have piqued his interest.

「Although the viscosity of the sap changes proportionally with the temperature, the boundary line of how sticky it has to get to become toxic is unknown. However, it will serve as a rough guide.」

Perhaps feeling responsible, Gray's tightly clenched fists had turned white. Unable to just watch, I stood up from my seat.

「Please open your hands. You will injure your palms with your nails.」

「I, I've done... something terrible... Even though Blake-sama told me so strongly not to eat it. M-My wife was against it. But I wanted to brag that I was involved with such a delicious thing... and because of that, my wife too...」

「You are bleeding. Let's apply some ointment.」

Gray just kept shaking his head, saying 'No, no.' Somewhat forcefully sitting him down on the sofa, I applied ointment and wrapped bandages around his hands. While I was doing that, it was decided that Blake-san would go to tell the doctor at the clinic what we had found out, and would drop Gray-san off by carriage on the way.

Although this mansion is currently used as a villa, it seems plant research was once conducted here, and thanks to that, medicinal herbs apparently grow in the backyard as well.

When I asked about the types, there were medicinal herbs that serve as ingredients for fever reducers, so Ashren-sama and I decided to use them to make medicine.

The location is the room we used for perfume making; various experimental tools are still left out there, and unused beakers and such are placed in the corner of the room.

「Ashren-sama, I am also concerned about Prince Elliot's condition.」

「Understood. In that case, I will go gather the medicinal herbs, so let's meet up in the room.」

Parting ways in the entrance hall on the first floor, I went up the stairs and headed to the third floor. When I asked the doctor about his condition at the entrance of the room, his fever was still high, but it apparently hadn't gone up any further. Whether that is thanks to the fever reducer or not is unknown, but right now, symptomatic treatment is the only thing we can do.

I told the doctor that Blake-san had gone to the clinic, and asked him to inform me or Ashren-sama on the second floor if anything happened. The doctor turned pale, saying, "I only came to report to Blake-san, so having to examine royalty is too heavy a responsibility," so I encouraged him, telling him not to worry because we would take responsibility if it came down to it. It's terrible that he got caught up in this, but since neither Ashren-sama nor I are doctors, we have no choice but to have him do his best.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56


[Bronze]

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Taylor King

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>