Saturday, September 3, 2022

Of All Things, I Became a Crow: Chapter #90

 

Of All Things, I Became a Crow: Chapter #90

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

*Rainelle’s POV

Riding in the wind blowing from the high sky, I flew while following Aria's carriage.

Hey, it’s nice to look down from the sky, but I'll miss the carriage if I look away!

How long did I fly along the carriage with tension? Aria's carriage then entered a manor.

Oh, here it is!

Excited at the thought of reaching my destination, I lowered my altitude. But I didn't immediately fly over to Aria. I swished around the manor and scanned the area.

Of course, the manor was smaller than the Imperial Palace, but it was still large and well decorated. The garden was neat and the manor was clean, so it was good.

Even after Aria got off the carriage, I could see her waiting for me. So I quickly landed and sat down on her arm.

"Ah! Ah, My Lady! What's that crow?!"

"Caw?"

I moved my head involuntarily at the sight of the maid who asked questions while raising her voice.

How long had it been since I saw such a reaction? In the Imperial Palace, I was treated with respect only since Karmeut gave orders. It had been a long time since I'd seen such a disgruntled expression on someone’s face.

...I’m not too happy though.

"What kind of attitude is that?!"

I almost jumped in place at the sound of the sharp voice. Perhaps I wasn't the only one who was so startled, because the maid also jumped.

"What kind of attitude did you give to the precious bird?! It’s like you’re a top notch! Did you show that attitude just because it’s a crow?!"

The maid bowed down trembling. Then she spoke in a shaky voice,

"For, forgive me, My Lady! I don’t really..."

"That's enough. You lack knowledge, so I'll let it go, but it shouldn't happen again."

"I'll keep that in mind, My Lady."

Leaving the still bowing maid alone, Aria started walking proudly with her chin slightly raised.

...Um, is this okay?

I wanted to say that, but I couldn't say anything because Aria was talking to the maid like that as if it was the natural thing.

On top of that, I can’t speak even if I wanted to since I’m a crow now.

Aria went straight to her room and told all her maids to leave. Only after she told everyone not to come in until she called for them did her expression change.

...Stop that! Can't you stop with that look of wanting to put me in your arms and cuddle me?!! It makes my cheeks about to explode!

I quickly got out of Aria's hands and went to the chandelier. Then I looked around, completely ignoring Aria's whining voice.

I was very curious about what a nobles' room looked like!

It was not as flashy as the Imperial Palace. I was a little disappointed by the appearance of the room which still had its own splendor.

Aw, it's less shiny than the ones in Imperial Palace huh?

-Knowing how absurd it was to have the Imperial Palace as the object of comparison, I shook my head lightly. Then I sat down in front of Aria and changed into my human form.

"Why did you do that earlier?"

"What?"

"The maid. Is it okay to be so mad?"

"Ah, that’s what you mean.”

Saying that, Aria shrugged her shoulders. Then she sighed deeply and said,

"Well, I don't really want to do that either."

"Really? Then why are you doing that?"

"The original heroine... Um, in the game setting, the player takes possession after the heroine attempts suicide, right?"

"Yeah, and?"

"But the original owner of this body who attempted that suicide is so chaotic. She’s just a selfish kid who thinks that she's the only one who is right."

"...Ah. Come to think of it, did the Count chew on you after the suicide attempt?"

"---You’re asking something like that? The Count and Countess raised her their whole lives like a baby, but it's obvious that her personality is a mess… At first, I was really confused after I possessed her, but the people in the manor were really speaking a lot in the back."

---Somehow, it seemed that I would know the story even if she didn't say any more, so I said,

"So, that’s according to her original personality?"

"If the people have been looking at this face for a long time, it's convenient to control the baseline from the beginning. It’s even more so if they’re lower than me in terms of status. Oh, thinking about the maids who looked at me with sassy faces like I've lost my memories makes me angry even when I’m thinking about it now. I can’t stand that!"

I broke a cold sweat as I saw Aria clenching her fists.

"Hmmm. By the way, about Namuel..."

"Ah, that's right! That's what is important now! Sheesh... Then Rainelle's crow appearance will be gone for now, huh?"

"It’s not about crows, man!"

"That's also important---!!"

"Then you don’t want me to help you get closer with Namuel?"

"No!! Help me!"

"Then let go of those feelings!"

"Uu..."

I turned away from Aria who was crying. Then Aria pouted and flopped down on the sofa.

"Haa, I'd rather think of Namuel than this bickering."

"Good idea. So, what are you going to do now?"

"I know, right? What should I do?"

"...hey!!"

"No, even if you say that... Right now, We're in the process of building our affinity by repeating conversations and encounters, right?  Well... to prepare for the future, I think I should secure a Crobanlock...? It's not an easy thing to get, but… Hmm! Things will work out somehow!"

My head throbbed at Aria’s behavior of lying on the sofa while saying that.

“Isn’t that Crobanlock a problem?”

"If it's the same as the original game, It should be in the Count’s hand sooner or later."

"...You know, my existence alone has already wrecked the original story…"

"...Ah."

Aria opened her mouth slightly in a brief, bitter groan. After a while, Aria raised her voice while clenching her head,

"Aaaaah! Rainelle came to my house and that made me forget about it!! This isn't a game, it's a game-based reality, right?! That’s what it is, right?! Argh! That means there's a huge chance that the events of the game won't come out as it is! Aaah! I’m going crazy!!"

"...I'm going crazy too. Did you just realize that now?!"

"I was so happy that a crow was coming to my house, so I forgot about it!"

"That's not a compliment!! And don't forget something like that!! You idiot!!"

What the hell am I supposed to do with this idiot?!

As I looked at Aria full of emotions, she quietly avoided my gaze.

---Yeah, as long as you know you're wrong! Well...

"I’m in trouble... I need to have a Crobanlock to establish the route... No, wait a minute. Now that this is a reality, should we throw away that stereotype...?"

"But, just in case, wouldn't it be better than having nothing?"

"It is, but... it's a matter of getting it..."

Haa

I sighed and pondered for a moment.

Obviously, Crobanlock was a very difficult item to obtain. It was not certain that you survive if you eat it, but if you do survive, you will gain power.

"---By the way, if I think about it, maybe there are people who sell Crobanlock because they don't want to die?"

"I think so too... but it's going to be very expensive."

"What if you ask the Count?"

"--I don't know if I can buy it with the Count's money, but... I'll give it a try."

"Can I help you too?"

"How?"

"Uh... I didn’t tell you? I've gained the ability to turn into a human being after eating Crobanlock, but birds can talk to each other."

"...? Crows are birds, so they also can communicate with fellow avians?"

"...If that's how you think, then why can't humans communicate with monkeys as fellow primates? A conversation won’t happen if they speak different languages, right?"

At that, Aria went quiet.

And I have one more important part, even though I didn't say it.

Is it okay not to say that Crobanlock and the crows are related?

It's not that important, and the thing that Myrdin-nim told me is a myth. The important thing is that I can help her.

"Anyway, I'll ask the birds. Wouldn't it be easier to find one with the addition of their eyes?"

"...As expected, Rainelle is an angel! Uuu! Accept my love!!"

"That love is burdensome! You don't have to give it to me!"

"I refuse the rejection!"

"Ugh!"

Oh no! Wait a minute, getting mad like this won't change anything, right? Let's be calm, be calm! If I get caught up in Aria's pace here, the topic will stray from Namuel!

"Then what about this, since Crobanlock can't be found anytime soon? What you need to do right now is to meet up with Namuel and talk often, right?"

"I think so…?"
"Then why don't I be the messenger who delivers your letter to Namuel? Although that's what pigeons do."
Aria’s eyes grew bigger and bigger hearing that.
"-That's a good idea! Thanks to Rainelle, the conversation went smoothly, so let's write a letter!"
"Right? It's pretty good, isn't it?"

Aria nodded her head vigorously before pausing. Then she immediately asked her with a worried face,

"But what if he thinks I’m using the Emperor's companion to deliver my letters?"

"Then I can turn into a human figure and explain it well."

"...a crow that can transform into a human form is so precious."

"Right?"

"Because you are precious, please return to the form of a crow! I want to hold onto the body of the precious crow and pet you!"

“Don't try to satisfy your self-interest whenever you have time!"

"Uhuhu, if you refuse, my heart will be scratched, you know?"

"Are you acting cute now? That won't work!! Do that to Namuel! To Namuel!"

"If I do it now, I will only get contemptuous gaze…"

"...Ah, that's true."

"---If you affirm it straight away, it makes me very sad..."

Heh, that's not a problem I need to know.

When I turned my head with such a thought in my mind, Aria began moving.

"Then I will a letter to Namuel, so please wait for a moment!"

With such words, she headed straight to her desk.

I knew I shouldn't look at the letter, so I waited patiently. After I spent some time munching on the cookies on the plate, Aria come up to me.

"I’m done! Oh, I hope it works out with Namuel somehow..."

"Shall I go right away to deliver the letter?"

"I'd appreciate it if you did, but..."

I turned away from her eyes that were overflowing with worry and returned to my crow appearance. Then I snatched the envelope in her hand and headed straight for the window.

It was unlike the ones in the Imperial Palace. I tapped on the closed window. Then Aria came over to the window, patted my back once, and then opened the window.

I spread my wings and flew into the sky.

---Judging by the time, Namuel should still be in the Imperial Palace. If I go in a hurry, I think I'll be able to deliver the letter.

 

*Namuel’s POV

When he heard the sound of flapping wings, Namuel turned his head. There was only one case where the sound of flapping wings could be heard nearby in the Imperial Palace.

"Rainelle-nim."

As he stretched his arms out to make a perch, a crow landed on his arm. The black bird had a sapphire gold necklace. Namuel narrowed his eyebrows at the appearance of the Emperor's beloved and chosen companion.

"---Rainelle-nim, what is this letter...?"

Who would use Rainelle-nim as a mail carrier? The Emperor doesn't even use her as an errand girl, so who is it?

"Some rude person would dare to..."

Perhaps a little angry, Namuel received the letter while frowning. The name on the envelope was one that he remembered.
‘Gwynell von Adriana.’

He felt even more disappointed because it was someone he had a pleasant conversation with. Perhaps feeling his mood, the crow turned to her human form.

"Namuel, it’s a misunderstanding."

"---Rainelle-nim?"

"I’m the one who said that I'd like to deliver the letter, so don't think too badly of Adriana."

"...Something that you wanted? Delivering a letter?"

"Yes. I wanted to try it at least once. Like the white birds. It was fun!"

Namuel nodded at Rainelle’s smile.

I didn't know how delivering a letter could be fun, but maybe it's enough if Rainelle-nim enjoys herself.

"Oh, right. Namuel?"

"Yes? Go ahead."

"I'd also like to deliver a reply. Is that ok?"

Namuel looked perplexed at Reinelle whose purple eyes were sparkling as she asked that.

---It’s not difficult for me to refuse since it’s just a request...

He pondered for a moment before trying to open his mouth, but Rainelle then added as if she had remembered something,

"I got permission from Karmeut."

At those words, Namuel swallowed a sigh.

...Somehow, the energy of spirits can be strongly felt near her.

"...I see. Rainelle-nim, I'll give you the letter tomorrow morning."

"Thank you, Namuel."

Looking at Rainelle, who was smiling happily, the wizard somehow felt like crying.

Well, it is fortunate that the person to whom I am writing the letter is not a very unpleasant person.

Recalling Adriana who had a deep knowledge of crows for a noblewoman, he followed Rainelle, who changed back into a crow and flew away, with his gaze.

***

 

Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

You can visit too to check out some cute and cool phone wallpapers!

 

 

 

 

Support Me