Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Of All Things, I Became a Crow: Chapter #91

 

Of All Things, I Became a Crow: Chapter #91

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

Translator(s) note: Sorry for the late upload (*_ _)人   Our laptop has become increasingly uncooperative recently. Sometimes a click could take more than 5 seconds. Sigh... Hopefully we could also upload again tomorrow.

Here's chapter 91. Enjoy!

 

 

*Rainelle’s POV

The mail delivery was a lot of fun. Aria's behavior towards me was a little burdensome, but she said she liked me, and I don't hate her either. In addition, she gave me delicious food every time I go over. And above all, the look on her face when she received a letter was hilarious. Not only Aria, but Namuel's expression was also very different.

I sneakily avoided Namuel's gaze which seemed to ask "You are here again today?" and sat on the back of a nearby chair. Then I waited for the letter.

As I was working on delivering letters, I was able to enter Namuel's research room, which was a really different world.

Wow! I can't believe I saw a wizard's research room in person! Such luck!

---Of course, there were a lot of things that seemed that money would fly if I make a mistake. I had no choice but to sit quietly as there were glass jars full of unknown ingredients, crystal balls, and books along with papers.

What do I do if I mess something up? I didn’t even know what I might have to pay---!!

"Are you curious? You look around every time you come."

Well, this place is amazing! It's a mage’s research room filled with things I don’t know! This is truly a place that makes people shout out “fantasy!”.

When I nodded my head eagerly, Namuel smiled quietly. Then he gave me a letter.

"Here you are. Thank you, Rainelle-nim."

Leave it to me!

After cawing once, I bit the envelope with my beak. Then I flew through the open window.

It's a pity, but I think I'll touch this and other things because I can't win over curiosity if I stay any longer. Aria is waiting too, so I should hurry up and deliver the letter!

I flew while appreciating the scenery that I’m familiar with now. I didn't see birds flying at an altitude similar to mine or higher.

Ummm... Should I lower the altitude a little---? Of course, I'm worried about cats, but I have Mui, right?

I turned my gaze and looked at Mui who was flying with me. I smiled and flicked the tip of my wing towards Mui, who was hovering around me. Then, laughter leaked out of me at Mui's action of drawing a big circle with a smile.

Should I find birds that live in the city? Like sparrows? Or should I find those little birds that I asked at the Imperial Palace before? Are there any pigeons or magpies? ---Oh, no. I don’t like magpies very much.

When I remembered magpie's thug temperament, I shivered.

Ugh, I might get beaten up if I meet a magpie. I have to pray so that I don't meet the magpies.

Still, it was a little boring to fly around in the high sky every day, so I lowered the altitude.

Who knows? There might be a lot of crows here, right?

Magpies are mostly seen in Korea, but when I recalled the fact that they roam even in neighboring Japan, I felt half anxious and half worried.

Still, if it's too late, I can block with elemental magic and run away! That’s it!

With that in mind, the next step was simple.

Now that I know the location of Count Gwynell's manor, let's take a look around the city.

I looked down while thinking so.

-I could see busy people, flashing armor, and all sorts of things lined up. The voices I hear were lively.

Unlike the Imperial Palace, it’s lively.

Unlike when I flew high in the sky, I was thrilled by the vivid atmosphere and heat.

It was when I thought, “Shall we get a little closer?”,

"Caw!! (Who's there!!)"

Startled by the sudden cry, I looked back. There, my instinct made me alert at the sight of a crow, which was half bigger than me, chasing after me with a loud cry.

Let's run!

I think it's angry because I’m in its area of territory! Just look at it chasing me so fiercely!

I couldn't say anything or cawing because I was holding the envelope with my beak. That was why I flapped my wings vigorously and started heading towards the manor.

Maybe Mui realized the situation, so it helped me to fly quickly by controlling the wind around me.

Good! We have to get out of here quickly---!!

The next moment, I got a huge shock on my back which caused me to fall.

Oh, it hurts---!!

I was in so much pain that I unknowingly opened my beak and dropped the envelope.

Ah! The letter!!

Fortunately, the letter fell on the roof of a building. I was relieved, but in the next moment, I screamed in pain as if my feather was being pulled out.

"Caaw! Caaw! (You're entering my territory! I'll give you a lesson!)"

"Kkak! Caw! Caaw, Caw! (Wrong! I’m sorry! I’m just passing, so stop it!)"

The pain that stabbed me all over my body stopped. As soon as I realized that, I frantically flapped my wings to make some distance. Seeing a few black feathers fall around me, I looked at the crow that attacked me.

The feathers of the crow that was half larger than me gleamed with silver. The crow wasn't just bulky, but it also seemed to be stronger and faster. This crow was able to catch up to me, who was flying at a faster speed with the power of the spirit, and attacked me at once.

"Caaw? (Female?)"

I heard a cry that seemed to be showing embarrassment and became quieter at theend as the crow shrank its neck. I hurriedly responded,

"Caw! Caaw. (I’m sorry! I'll leave this area.)"

The big crow didn't respond. It was simply observing with its black eyes. I looked at the crow while suppressing my nervousness.

It was unreasonable to run away again at this moment. I didn't know if I would be attacked again if I moved for no reason after provoking the crow.

In addition, for wild animals, the territory was a space for survival. No matter how far I went in, it was me who invaded its territory, so I was the one who made the mistake.

I wondered if crows were this aggressive, but... If there was lack of food, they could be sensitive.

Sigh, they say that curiosity kills the cat, and this is exactly that. I shouldn't have lowered my altitude just because I wanted to look around. I should've gone straight to the manor!

I moved slowly and stealthily while looking at its eyes.

Running away is important, but so is the letter! That's why I have to run away with the letter!

I felt like I would be pecked again if I showed my back, so I just shook my wings as I looked at the crow and backed away. Then, with nerves turned to the top, I bit the letter that had fallen on the floor with my beak and borrowed Mui's power to get out of there as fast as possible.

Let’s run! Fly as fast as possible!!

***

"---Rainelle? Why are your feathers so messy?"

Instead of saying, "Don't ask why," I began to tidy up my frayed feathers.

Oh, I became like a magpie! Oh, it stings! Did I get hurt? It stings…

Whoops... If Karmeut finds out about this, he won’t let me deliver the letter, so I'll have to hide it. I'll have to ask Namuel to treat me.

Thinking so, I continue to pick my feathers, but then I suddenly screamed at the touch on my back,

"Kkak!! (Ahhh!!)"

"Whoa whoa whoa!! What is it? What, what?!"

We were startled by each other, but we were able to regain our composure.

As I was taking deep breaths to soothe my startled heart after ranting, Aria asked.

"Rainelle, what's wrong? Oh my! What is this?!!"

"Kkak! (Ah, that stings!)"

Aria's action of squeezing my torso and rummaging through my feathers made me tear up from the sting.

Seriously!! It hurts!!

"Hold on a second! Oh my gosh---! What is this?! You're hurt! You're even bleeding!!"

Really?! No wonder it hurts!!

Arya shouted, "Stay still for a second!" and began to search the dressing table. Then she brought a small bottle of glass.

"Haa, I'm so glad there was medicine. Hang on a minute. I'll apply some medicine on you."

When something cold touched the stinging place, it hurt more, but as soon as it cooled down, the pain went away. Aria's hand rubbed between my feathers meticulously and applied the medicine to my wounds. My feathers were messed up again, but the pain was gone.

"So, why are you so hurt? Looking at the wounds, I don't think it was a human who did it?"

Aria asked while looking at me with a worried expression, so I returned to my human form and answered,

"Ah... I got a little hurt when coming here."

"A little---?"

--- I had to hurry to add an explanation due to Aria's reaction of raising her eyebrows while lengthening the end of her speech.

"---Actually, I flew high in the sky and went back and forth between the manor and the Imperial Palace until now. But today I lowered the altitude to take a look around... and then I was chased by a crow.

"...Huh? Crows aren't particularly territorial animals, are they? Didn’t they only gang up when necessary?"

"I don't know. The crows in this world may have different habits. Or, since they live in cities, it's hard to make a living if they don't make sure the territory is clear."

As I shrugged my shoulders, Aria let out a long sigh.

"Hm... I can't say anything about the territory issue because it's about survival..."

"Well, I made the mistake this time."

"---No, wait. Rainelle is a female, but you got attacked like that?"

"...I don't know if the crow that attacked me is a female or a male, but... wouldn't it be all the more reason if it is a female?"

"If it’s a male that attacked you, I have to pull out all its feathers and make it know its place! Except for a very small number of animals, males do their best to look good to females, but it’s attacking you!"

Aria who showed more anger than me, who was injured, made me both happy and embarrassed.

"Well, anyway, you've applied medicine, so it'll be okay, right?"

"Hmm- I think you've gotten better a lot..."

"Please check! If there are even scratches on my body, I may not be able to deliver letters in the future!"

"Huh, really?!"

"---If Karmeut found out that I have been injured, he might forbid it."

Aria was stunned at those words. She then raised her voice while clenching her fists.

"No way! Okay, I'll check! It will be better to check both the human form and the crow form, right?"

•---right… huh?"

That’s true, but why do I have a bad feeling?

"Uh huh... If that's the case, then it'd be better to take off your clothes, right?

"---!!"

Aah! That’s it!!

"Don't make such a grim face! Ah, so are you going to take off your clothes in front of Karmeut?"

Heat rushed to my face at those words.

Hey! What are you saying---!!

"That can't be possible!"

"Fufufu, why are you taking off your clothes like that? We are all women, but you’re still so careful?"

"It’s because of your attitude!!"

"Ah, I'm so sad. Am I not trustworthy?"

"Yeah."

When I responded with that single word, Aria became sullen.

---Phew… Still, I need her to check...

"You’re just looking to see if there are any wounds, okay?"

"Sure!"

Although my belief was eroded by Aria's act of squinting her eyes excessively, I had to confirm if there were any wounds. Because of that, I had to undergo a thorough examination, not only of my human form, but also of my crow form.

I tried to ignore Aria's words like: “I'm so envious of your pale skin~”.

When I asked when I could come to pick up her letter, she replied,

"Oh, that's? Ummm... please come the day after tomorrow."

When I gently waved one of my wings to signify that I understood, Aria's cheek became red.

---Hah! This is dangerous! If I don't run away quickly, I will be in trouble!

I quickly flapped my wings.

"Ahhhh! You don't have to run away---!!"

I can hear Aria's scream, but I ignored it.

Ignoring is the answer! I have to get away! Otherwise, I'll get caught again and gonna get rubbed!

I desperately flapped my wings to prevent my feathers from becoming messy.

The fresh air enveloped my body. Aria always had the window open, but there was a big difference between being inside a room and being outside.

I flew while crying out happily as I felt the pleasant air and wind. It was enough to make me hum.

...Ah! Come to think of it, I can't go like this, can I?

I thought I would meet another bird like earlier at this rate, so I flapped in place for a while. Then I sat on a wall and was going to call Mui.

I have to raise my altitude as high as possible and fly to the Palace in a snap!

 "Caaw. (There's a female.)"

I suddenly heard the sound of a crow. Startled by the crow's cry, I jumped in my spot. When I slowly turned my head while feeling my feathers flat on my body, I saw a large crow sitting there.

"Caw, caw? (Me, me?)"

"Caw. (Yes.)"

It looked into my eyes as it said yes, and then the idea that I screwed flashed in my mind.

Uh, I think it's the crow that attacked me earlier? It's big, and it sounds the same! Uh, could it be---!!

This is still this crow's territory?! That, then---?!

My mind was a mess.

If this is its territory, then what if this crow is trying to kick me out who hasn't left its territory yet...?

This is bad. Should I jump into Aria's room? If I hesitate here, I might die from being bit by that beak, right?

Feeling the greatest crisis of human, no, a living being, I gave all my strength to my wings to prepare for an escape.

Aria's room is only a short distance away, so I might be able to escape if I fly hard! I have to seize the opportunity---!! Otherwise, this crow will have a premature death here!! Passing the area is enough for it to attack, so since it found me still here, I might really die!!

***

 

Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

You can visit too to check out some cute and cool phone wallpapers!

 

 

 

 

Support Me