Saturday, March 25, 2023

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 3

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #3

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

Episode 3 I Feel Like the Train Door Closed in Front of Me

 

"Funfu~, fufufun~♪"

 

 The next day, I was on my way to school humming a tune.

 In the inner pocket of my uniform, I had hidden my adventurer's license and several monster cards.

 One of them was, of course, the Zashikiwarashi-chan I just got yesterday.

 

"……fufu"

 

 I couldn't help but let out a small laugh.

 I wonder how everyone would react if they saw this.

 A C-rank card. Furthermore, it's also a monster girl card that costs several times the market price.

 It's definitely a rare card that most students don't have."

 When I imagined everyone's faces when I showed it off... I couldn't help but smile.

 

"Oooh. Maro, you're early today."

 

When I turned around because of the tap on my shoulder from behind, there I saw familiar face of my friend.

 

"Oh, Higashino! Good morning!"

"Hey, you've been in high spirits since this morning. What happened?"

"Really? I think it's the same as usual."

 

I denied it, but the smile on my face wouldn't cease.

 

"Hey, The most important thing to remember is that you should never be afraid to ask for help from your friends and family. Your grin is even more disgusting than usual."

"Shut up."

 

 I lightly hit him on the shoulder with a punch.

 What do you mean more than usual? Don’t you just imply that I am always disgusting?

 

"What's wrong? Tell me, we are friends, aren't we?"

"Eh…"

 

 I hesitated for a moment as to whether or not I should tell Higashino what happened yesterday.

 If I reveal that I am an adventurer with a rare card, the way I will be treated in class will naturally change.

 Or rather, since I had worked so hard to get to the top of the class caste, it was natural that I’ll be treated differently.

 

 The question is what will happen to my existing friendships then.

 Minamiyama cut us off as soon as he rose to the top of the school caste.

 It can't be helped since he's a genuine piece of shit, but if possible, I wanted to join the ranks of the normie group and maintain a friendly relationship with Higashino and Nishida.

 After all, friends are not something that should be easily cut off, and above all, I get along well with Higashino and Nishida. The ideal situation would be to be respected by everyone at school, while still hanging out with Higashino and Nishida after school and on weekends.

 In that case, it might be better for Higashino and Nishida to know that I am an adventurer in advance.

Okay then.

 

"Actually----"

"Hey! Good morning"

"Oh! Nishida. It's rare for the three of us to get together on the way to school."

"We are bound by the thread of fate, I'm sure."

"My destined partner isn't you guys, but a wonderful older sister I haven't seen yet."

"Heh (sneers). Oops, good morning too, Maro."

"Oh, oh... good morning."

"Hmm? Oh yeah, were you just about to say something?"

"No, no, it’s nothing..."

"Really?"

 

 I was caught off guard by Nishida's appearance, and unintentionally made a fool of myself.

 

Uh, it's kind of hard to say when things like this happen.

I was waiting for the timing to say it, but we arrived at the classroom while Nishida talked about the gyaru game he played yesterday, and in the end I couldn't say to them that I had become an adventurer.

Hmmm, is it possible to talk to the two of them by the end of the day?

If at worst I can't do it, I can postpone it until tomorrow, right?"

 

"Oh?"

 

As I was thinking about that, Higashino suddenly stopped.

 

"What's the matter? Hurry up and get inside."

 

Nishida, who bumped into Higashino because of the sudden stop, urged him to enter the classroom.

 

It's kind of noisy inside.

Hm? Did something happen?

 

Looking over Higashino's shoulder, I saw a single male student surrounded by more than half of the class.

 He is Ono, who is a little short, has a chubby body shape that is not off-putting, and has black natural curly hair on top of his head, ......a top caste group member.

 Surrounded by everyone, Ono looked more excited than usual without a care in the world.

 I wondered if he was making jokes that only his own circle could understand. I don't like his comedy because he makes fun of people like us.

 

"What, Ono?"

"Is he doing a skit that only they can get again?"

"That guy's comedy is awful. Looking down on us."

 

 Higashino and Nishida were looking at Ono and whispering to each other. I was a little relieved that they were saying exactly what I was thinking.

 

“Let's go inside for now.”

“Oh."

 

 I nudged them into the classroom. Our classmates didn't even notice that we had come in and seemed to be engrossed in Ono's story.

 And that was when I heard something I couldn't believe. I heard unbelievable words that jumped into my ears.

 

————Is Ono also an adventurer?

 

 ……what?

I suddenly stopped and stared at Ono.

 

"Well, even if I say I’m an adventurer, I am still a one-star adventurer. My card is also crappy."

"No, no, just being an adventurer is amazing. Besides, you saved money by doing a part-time job yourself, right?

"Have you been to a labyrinth yet?"

"Not yet. I'm planning to go with Minamiyama-kun today. Well, it's reassuring to know someone I know is a senior."

"I'm really excited to have a friend in the same industry!"

 

I couldn't help but stare at them in a daze.

 

.........................................Oh, this---! He beat me to it!

 

What do I do? Do I jump in there and tell them I'm an adventurer too?

No, no. That place has already been completely transformed into a showcase for Ono. If I jump in there, I won't be able to join the normie group. In fact, I'd probably just be labeled as someone who can't read the atmosphere.

 

 So, should I wait for a bit and come out too? ...... No, that won't have much of an impact anymore.

 The good spot is only up to the second. The third, fourth, and next ones are just following in the footsteps of the one in front.

 As a matter of fact, even being the second was not that great, but that will be different if you have a weapon that the first does not. That's why I insisted on a C-rank card or a monster girl card. Just being an adventurer was not something to be proud of anymore. Only the first, the pioneer, was allowed of that. In Ono's case, it was significant that he was originally in the normie group.

 Of course, the Zashiki-warashi card will still have enough impact. Being a C-rank card and a monster girl card is worth it.

 However, it is difficult to turn that into a positive impression.......

 

Ono wouldn't find it amusing for me to suddenly cut in, and Minamiyama would probably side with Ono.

 

‘---Hee, Kitagawa-kun has become an adventurer too. And you have a rare card, that's amazing. So, don’t you see that I am talking now?’

 

It will probably go like that. And there's no doubt that the other classmates will thoroughly beat me down for trying to steal the limelight from others.

 

‘Kitagawa-kun forcibly walked in and showed off his high-value card when Ono-kun who worked hard to become an adventurer as a part-timer was talking,’

 

 If this were the case, it would be a bad idea to announce it at this time no matter what the circumstances. However, showing off a license and the rare card at a later date would not have much impact anymore, and would not help me to get into the upper echelon of the class caste.

 So what should I do? Weapons. I need more weapons. Not just an adventurer's license and rare cards, but more.......

 ......But what? How do I differentiate myself from them and make myself unique? 

 

"So, that Ono has become an adventurer too?"

"I didn’t expect an adventure boom at our school. We don't have that kind of money."

"Even if he said that he is an adventurer, he is just starting out anyway, isn’t he? A less than 3-star adventurer who can't even make it to the MonColo... right?"

"True. It’s very much like he only got that one star because of money."

 

Zapp! ! !

 

At that moment, an electric current ran down my spine.

 

That's it! That's the only way!

 

 When I heard Higashino and Nishida whispering in the corner of the classroom, talking about Ono, I had a flash of inspiration.

 Both Minamiyama and Ono were still amateurs, not even three stars.

 Adventurers were classified into six levels according to the number of stars on their licenses, and those with four stars were considered professionals.

 Those with one or two stars were deemed as complete amateurs, but those with three stars were considered semi-professionals and can compete in MonColo, the Monster Colosseum.

 Being able to participate in the Monster Colosseum means being able to appear on TV.

 

 When it comes to being talented enough to appear on TV, it can be said that the person is already an existence that was different from other students.

That social value would be comparable to that of a celebrity on campus.

 

 This is it……. Even though being a student, having a rare card worth tens of millions of yen and is talented enough to appear on TV. I have no choice but to take this route.

 In fact, after becoming an adventurer, I was just looking for a good part-time job where I could dive into the labyrinths at random.

 To me, becoming an adventurer was the most important part of the process, and once I was an adventurer, I didn't really care.

 But now that it had come to this, I had no choice. I will become a three-star adventurer no matter what it took. Preferably before next year's class change.

 

 I made up my mind to do so as I watched Ono and the others ......, or rather, as I watched her smiling beside them.

 

[Tips] Adventurer

 One of the newly created professions with the advent of the labyrinth. While the initial investment costs money and lives will be at risk, the income is high. The recent boom in adventurers has led to an increasing number of young people becoming adventurers without understanding the dangers involved.

 There are six ranks of adventurers, from one to six stars, with those with up to three stars being considered amateurs and those with four stars and above being considered professionals.

 In addition to their income from labyrinthine exploration, professional adventurers have various sources of income, including TV appearances as celebrities, advertising income from video postings, and appearance fees and prize money at the Monster Colosseum.

***

 

Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us keep our spirit up and get us closer to buying a pc/laptop by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

You can visit too to check out some cute and cool phone wallpapers!

 

 

 

 

 

Support Me