Monday, October 16, 2023

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 32

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #32

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

Episode 32:   Hear this! The human race is doomed!

 

 

 

"So, what do you mean?"

 

 After school. Anna and I had gone to a family restaurant near the school.

 

 Anna, who had thrown my classroom into a whirlpool of curiosity and confusion after that, had simply left when my homeroom teacher arrived.

 

 Leaving behind that she would get me after school.

 

 I was the one who had a hard time. The whole class asked me what kind of relationship I had with that beautiful half-Japanese girl.

 

 When someone noticed that Anna was the daughter of the president of that Dungeon Mart, the excitement grew even more intense. It was more of a frenzy than anything else.

 

 The boys in my class looked at me like they wish they could kill me with jealousy, and it was terrible.

 

 I grabbed Anna, who had come to get me as promised, and I made us run to this family restaurant as if running away.

 

"Oi, you hear me? I had a hard time because of you."

 

"Eh? Oh, sorry, yeah, I'm listening."

 

 Anna, who had been looking around the restaurant with interest for some reason, lowered her head as if she had snapped out of it.

 

What's the matter with her? No way it's her first time to go to a family restaurant...... or is it?

 

“Is... this your first time coming to a place like this?”

 

"Aiya~ I'm embarrassed. My parents are too overprotective."

 

 Anna scratched her head in embarrassment.

 

Seriously? ......She has never been in a family restaurant before? So such families really exist...

 

 I shivered as I remembered that this girl was from a REAL upper-class family.

 

"Uh, then, what kind of place do you usually eat at?"

 

"Umm, I seldom eat out. I basically eat at home. I eat what Matsumoto-san... ah, the chef, who cooks for me."

 

"S, so you have a chef."

 

No wonder she doesn't eat outside.

 

"The few times I eat out in a year, I eat at places that require reservations about six months in advance."

 

"Cough, I, I see......"

 

Oh God, she's a REAL young lady, isn't she?

 

"Well, it doesn't really matter. Let's jump to the point."

 

"Oh, oh. That's right. What was that all about?"

 

 Pulling me to create an adventurer club so suddenly. I thought it was an introduction of a novel. Moreover, it was so crude.

 

"It means exactly what I said. So, why don't you and I form an adventurer's club, senpai?"

 

"No, I really don't understand what you mean."

 

"Well, as a high school student, don't you want to do something that is youthful? Isn't it a good idea to start a new club?"

 

 I smiled at her shyly and smiled as if I was watching something funny. ......

 

 Seeing Anna who seemed so pumped like that, I smiled like I was looking at something heartwarming.

 

"Okay, we are done."

 

“Aah! Please wait a minute!”

 

Anna hurriedly held me back as I got up from my seat.

 

"Look! The food is here! Okay?"

 

"Can't be helped..."

 

 The food arrived just at that moment, so I reluctantly sat down again.

 

 The food was laid out on the table. I ordered an 'omurice with melty egg' and a side dish of smoked salmon salad.

 

 I think the best dish at Denim's is the omurice (omelet rice). It was different from the omurice made at home or the omurice served at a western-style restaurant. A magical omurice that can only be found at Denim's.

 

 On the other hand, Anna seemed to have ordered the limited-time-only hamburger steak.

 

"Itadakimasu... Oh! It tastes different from the hamburger steak I know."

 

 I asked Anna, whose comment may or may not have been a compliment, as she ate,

 

"So, seriously, is that the only reason?"

 

 Well, that's one of the reasons, but there's a serious reason too. Just to be clear, you do intend to become a professional in the future, don't you, Senpai?"

 

"Of course I do."

 

 I answered instantly. It's no exaggeration to say that all the guys who make it to the three-star level are aspiring professionals.

 

 Anna smiled with satisfaction when she heard my answer.

 

"As expected. That's exactly the kind of man I want to work with. Then, of course you know the requirements to become a professional, right?"

 

"Yeah, of course."

 

 Unlike the promotion to three stars, the degree of difficulty in promotion to four stars, the professional level, increases significantly.

 

 You must possess eight or more C-rank cards. At least one hundred different D-rank dungeons have to be conquered. Written exams related to various laws, and some practical exams such as actual battles against professional adventurers...

 

 None of these things can be done overnight.

 

The most time-consuming part of the process is probably the record of breaking through more than a hundred different D-rank dungeons, each of which is 21 to 30 floors deep.

 

It's a depth that even I, who have the flute of Hamelin, would not find easy. What is more, what is required for the promotion is different dungeons.

 

The number of D-rank dungeons in Tokyo is about 40. That means that a trip to another prefecture is unavoidable.

 

The biggest psychological hurdle is undoubtedly the written test. I heard that the level of difficulty itself is easier than the practical test, but I am not the only one who feels intimidated by the mere mention of a written test.

 

 All of these things take time, so I was planning to take it slow. After all, I had not even met the eight or more C-rank cards requirement that was supposed to be the easiest.

 

"Then, do you know this? That the dungeons clearing achievements of a team is also acceptable?"

 

"Eh? No, I didn't know."

 

"Well, this information is not publicized by the guild. There are some restrictions on this method.

 

 According to Anna, the Adventurers' Guild had a team system.

Each team member may be given a separate rating from the individual's rating.

 

Even if you are rated as a three-star adventurer, if you belong to a team with a four-star rating, you will be considered a four-star adventurer only for team activities. In addition, the team's achievements are added to the individual's achievements.

 

In other words, it does not matter whether you completed the hundred D-rank dungeons as a team or as an individual, you will still qualify for promotion.

 

There is no need to think about which is easier: to do it as an individual or as a group. After all, as long as you report it beforehand, it counts as an achievement as long as you dive into different dungeons.

 

"Then, if you form a team of 100 people and each person completes one dungeon, that means that the quota will be met?"

 

"That way, there is no problem for the team, but it is meaningless in the end because once you leave the team, you don't get any other benefits and simply revert back to your original 3 stars."

 

"You mean that the accomplishments earned by the others will not affect you much as an individual? Then why team up?"

 

"Well, of course, to dive into the dungeons of a higher rank than your own, because no matter how many D-rank dungeons you dive, C-rank cards will have no chance of dropping. Do you know the drop rate of C-rank cards? 0.1%? Even if you spend your whole life trying to get C-rank cards from the D-rank dungeons, it will be impossible to reach the target by yourself."

 

"Th, that's right......."

 

".....?"

 

I had already obtained three C-rank cards from the D-rank dungeon, so I was forced to be vague about what I was saying.

 

"...Then, the only way to get a C-rank card is to buy it, but that's too much of a financial burden. If possible, you'd want to get it on your own, right? In that case..."

 

"We have no choice but to dive into the C-rank dungeons. That's where the team comes into play."

 

"Yep, that's right. By the way, I heard that it only requires one member to clear the written exam, which is another reason for the popularity of the system."

 

"Hoh?!"

 

For those of us who don't like written exams, this system is a big help.

 

 Seeing me like that, Anna grinned.

 

"Just so you know, I've already passed the written exam, so all I need to do now is to obtain cards, get my records, and do the practicals."

 

"Seriously?!"

 

I was honestly surprised at how much this girl was willing to do.

 

"In other words, if you team up with me, all you have to do is go through the dungeons until you get the four-star rating."

 

"I see. ......No, wait, wait. I'm not sure why you're asking me to team up with you. Why don't you just join a team that already has four stars?"

 

 At my words, Anna lightly laughed.

 

"If I can do that, I should just do it?"

 

"I think I'm getting a bad feeling. Does that mean it's hard to say?"

 

"Well, it is especially difficult with men. If it is a beautiful girl like me, they will definitely let me in, but I don't want to do it that way."

 

"...I see."

 

So it's like that.

 

"And so, I feel that I should make a team, not join one. If I join a bad team, I will have a hard time~. Some of them even ask for some kind of deposit, you know."

 

"Really?"

 

It seems ...... as though you are so exclusive.

 

I'm not sure what to say.

 

"Well, I understand about the team. But what does that have to do with creating an Adventurers Club?"

 

It doesn't have to be a club. All we have to do is form a team, me and Anna.

 

"Well, if it's just forming a team, then sure."

 

 Anna nodded, and her expression stiffened as she added,

 

"...Senpai, do you know about the Dungeons Doomsday Theory?"

 

"Dungeons Doomsday Theory......"

 

It was a kind of apocalypse theory.

 

Since the dungeons appeared in this world, their number continued to increase all over the world.

 

 In Japan alone, the number of dungeons had increased from around 100 in the beginning to an astounding 7,000 in the past 20 years.

 

 The biggest reason for this was Angolmore. The number of dungeons increased to 1,000 at once in the first Angolmore and to 5,000 in the second Angolmore. This led to the theory that Angolmore was essentially a prolific behavior of the dungeons.

 

The increase in the total number of dungeons also affected the amount of their spontaneous emergence over time.

 

 After the second Angolmore, the rate of dungeon proliferation, which had previously been about 10 per year, accelerated dramatically, with an increase of 2,000 over the past decade.

 

 That is approximately 200 dungeons per year. It would not be surprising if one day one's school or place of work suddenly became a dungeon. On the other hand, mankind has not yet found a way to make the dungeons disappear.......

 

 It was said that if another Angolmore were to occur, the number of dungeons would increase by tens of thousands at once. It was also said that the amount of spontaneous emergence would be several times greater than it is now......

 

 At this rate, the dungeons will fill the entire planet.

 

Someday, at some point, man-made countermeasures against Angolmore will no longer be able to keep up, and monsters will overflow from the dungeons all over the world.

 

That will be the time of human extinction.

 

......That was the Dungeons Doomsday Theory.

 

"You, do you believe that......?"

 

"Oh, you don't believe in it, Senpai?"

 

"Not really, but ......."

 

The fact that the number of dungeons continues to increase and no method has yet been found to eliminate them certainly created a sense of urgency.

 

However, it wasn't like the dungeons would cover the earth in a year or two, and I vaguely thought that smart people would find a way to get rid of dungeons by then.

 

Various useful things had been discovered in the dungeons, and things may not end so badly, I thought.

 

 That was the thinking of the general public, including me.

 

"Senpai, you are being led to think that way by the media......"

 

However, when Anna heard my thoughts, she looked at me with astonishment and pity.

 

"W-what is it?"

 

You know what? The world is becoming more and more alarmed about the dungeons than you might think. To be frank, the wealthy people of the world consider the collapse of civilization caused by the dungeons as something that cannot be prevented. Do you know why the prices of C- and B-rank cards are not declining, but rather only going up?"

 

"Uh... isn't it because the number of people who want to become professionals has increased, and the demand has grown larger in relation to the supply?"

 

"That's what the news reports. The demand is certainly increasing, but the supply is rising much more. The number of adventurers is increasing worldwide. The answer is that the government and wealthy people are buying all they can. What is on the market is only a small portion of the supply. The same goes for some magic items."

 

"Are you serious......?"

 

 If this had been said by an ordinary person, I would have laughed it off.

 

However, there was an indescribable conviction when it was said by the only daughter of the richest man in the country, who is also listed in the list of the richest men in the world, that everything was true.

 

"Senpai, have ever wondered why even junior high school students can become adventurers if they want to? Even at the risk of their lives,......, if it was the norm, such a system would definitely not be allowed."

 

"Indeed,......"

 

I did once wonder how could society allow minors to dive into the dangerous dungeons. Even though alcohol and cigarettes were still illegal under the age of 20 because of their health hazardous effects.

 

"In other words, that's how desperate the government is. They are trying to increase the number of adventurers and take countermeasures against Angolmore, and at the same time, they are trying to find a way to make the dungeons disappear. ...... That is the current situation in all countries of the world. It is not reported on the news, though. If things get so dire, maybe they'll even start practicing some kind of conscription?"

 

"........................"

 

"There is also terraforming underway on Mars, but I'm not sure which will come first, its success or the dungeons overflow of the earth. ......Even if they do make it in time, it's not likely that all humans will be able to migrate. The majority will be left behind on the planet overflowing with monsters. There's also the possibility that irregularities will occur, such as cockroaches evolving and the land becoming uninhabitable. You know what we need then, don't you?"

 

Anna's ending of "ssu1" in her sentences is gone before I know it. She must have been talking very seriously.

 

 I answered while swallowing my saliva,

 

"Bugs surgery2......."

 

"Wha... Why the heck! No, you casually made a joke, but I'm being serious here! By the way, I like Adolph the most."

 

Incidentally, I like Adolph the best, too.

 

I was demanded to make a correction, so I decided to answer seriously this time,

 

"......The power to protect yourself?"

 

"That's right. And power is not just about cards, it's also about trusted companions ......."

 

"And you're inviting people to join you in the name of a club activity?"

 

"Have you never heard of it? Friends from school are friends for life. Friends connected only by profit are weak. Friends who are only connected by profit are weak. I want friends who are connected by bonds. We should gather only those who aim to become professionals or above, and work as a team even after graduation. By bringing in younger members, we can expand the team to attract new members. Thinking ahead to the future, a club is the best way to do this."

 

"Hmmm..."

 

I understand what she is saying. I understand, but at the same time, it seems as though she's trying to make sense out of it.

 

"So, what are your real intention?"

 

"Eh, just now, that's my real intention ......."

 

"Well, that's probably true, but if that's all there is to it, isn't there something else you can do? What you want to do in club activities is your obsession, isn't it?"

 

"Ugh."

 

I seemed to have hit the bull's-eye with that, and Anna visibly flinched.

 

 I stared at her silently. And then, as if she had given up, she began to speak,

 

"Cause ...... like ......."

 

"Huh? What?"

 

"Kh!"

 

 When I asked back because I couldn't catch what she was saying, Anna's ears turned red and she barked,

 

"I said it's because making a new club is something that sounds like a normie(riajuu) thing to do!"

 

"Oh, oh ......."

 

I nodded, clamping my ears to stop them from ringing.

 

"Y, you know, in light novels and such, when they created a brand new club, they look like they are having so much fun. So, I've always wanted to try making something like that when I entered high school..."

 

"..........................."

 

 I quietly closed my eyes as she was talking with much embarrassment.

 

 I thought back to the time before I entered high school.

 

Come to think of it, before I entered high school, I also thought that exciting and fun days like in manga and light novels were waiting for me.

 

 In reality, however, there were no club activities that were as outlandish as those in the world of fiction, but only the usual, boring club activities.

 

There was no powerful student council or beautiful school nurse.

 

When I entered the school and learned that there were no club activities or characters like those in fiction, I was convinced that this was just the way it was, but I was also disappointed.

 

Making a club activity like those found in novels and comic books for real.......

 

'......Yeah, that sounds interesting.'

 

"Huh?"

 

 At my mutter, Anna, who was looking down, raised her face.

 

“Shall we form an adventurer club?”

 

"Really!?"

 

"Yeah."

 

Making a club with beautiful junior girl, it's something very normie, isn't it?

 

 It's funny that in a world where dungeons and monsters exist, there are no club activities like in a novel.

 

If you talk about feasibility, it's not even that difficult to imagine! 

 

Universities have adventurers' clubs, so it would be perfectly natural for high schools to have them.

 

 I don't know if it would actually be approved by the school, but .......

 

"From now on, we are the Adventurer's Club!"

 

"Ohhh! Se-senpai, you're super cool! ”

 

 Anna, who was in high spirits, banged the table with her hands.

 

"Se, Senpai. I've actually thought of a name for the Adventurers' Club! It's not very cute as it is!"

 

"What? I think the Adventurer's Club is fine. But you can say it."

 

 When I nodded my head in response, Anna said with a confident look on her face,

 

"Towards the end of the world, together with friends, a group of preparation. Abbreviated as SOS——"

 

"Shut your mouth."

 

 

 

 

[Tips] Dungeons Doomsday Theory

 

 The number of dungeons is increasing year by year with no known way to eradicate them. Eventually, the countermeasures against dungeons will no longer be able to catch up, and the world will be overrun with monsters......? That is the theory for humans extinction

 

 The difference between dungeons doomsday theory and silly conspiracy theories is that the possibility of it actually happening is extremely high.

 

 The reason why the government allows even students to become adventurers with risks of dying is because they want to buy as much time as possible.

 

Each country is trying to control the media and keep the public from worrying, while the powerful and wealthy are steadily preparing for the coming collapse of civilization.

 

 Terraforming Mars is one of them. Joji3.

 

 

***

 

Notes:

っす • (-ssu): informal polite marker, attaching to the non-polite form at the end of a sentence, ruder than regular polite forms です (desu) and ます (-masu) . Ex: Shitteru ssu / I know.

A joke on Manga & Anime titled Terra Formars. And what is Bugs Surgery? A term for surgery that involves inserting insect genes into human genes. The person becomes able to use the insect (surgery-based) abilities built into himself.

Seems to be the sound of cockroach.

 



Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon! (Psst, go and check out the FREE trial on the first tier!)

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

 

Support Me