Monday, October 23, 2023

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 33

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #33

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

Episode 33 Debut in High School is a Double-Edged Sword

 

 

 

 Forming a club.

 

 It may seem simple enough in words, but in reality, it was not so easy.

 

 First of all, we needed to gather members. According to our school rules, we needed five members to start a club. It is not just a matter of numbers, but we need members who will continue to belong to the club for a year.

 

 Next, we need to find an advisor. This is the most difficult task.

 

 For a teacher, being an advisor for a club is like a punishment game, with not a penny to gain. After all, it is not only a job that does not pay overtime, it also increases their responsibilities.

 

 Veteran teachers tend to avoid it, highly motivated and ambitious teachers are already taking on club advisor positions, and new teachers are too busy getting used to the job to take on an advisor role.

 

 Finally, after these requirements are met, the application must be submitted to the student council for approval. The student council also needs to gain approval from the school, but this is not a problem at this stage, since an advisor has already been found.

 

 So, the first thing we have to do is to look for club members and an advisor......

 

"I can't find ---- at all!"

 

 Lunch break, on the rooftop.

 

 I was having lunch with the East-West duo, with my head in my hands.

 

 On the club's application form in front of me, there were only two names on it: 'President: Anna Jushichiya' and 'Vice-President: Utamaro Kitagawa'.

 

 Two days had passed since my reunion with Anna. We still hadn't found a single member.

 

"Seriously? I know it was a hot topic in our class, and I heard that quite a few people wanted to join."

 

Higashino was surprised at my words.

 

"We did attract some, but the club president rejected all of them."

 

 As Higashino said, a good number of people came when we put up a notice asking for new members.

 

 There were people who genuinely admired being adventurers, people who wanted to get closer to Anna, people who wanted to become adventurers like me, and some of the few adventurers in the school.

 

 But Anna had rejected all of them after a simple interview.

 

 According to her, she "didn't feel they have the passion or talent to become a professional".

 

 Certainly, considering the true purpose of this Adventurers' Club, "to create a force that can survive the destruction of the world," it is understandable that she would not let half-hearted people into the club, but ......

 

"If it's only the ones who qualify as professionals... ughh, does she know the probability of people becoming professionals ......?"

 

Of the 150,000 adventurers in Japan, only a few hundred or so are considered professionals, making it less than 0.1%.

 

Now, to find five such people from a high school of less than seven hundred students is a ....... The fact that there are already two is already a miracle.

 

 Nishida chuckled at my lament.

 

"No wonder you can't find anybody. I was thinking that if there weren't enough people, we could just add up the numbers, but... it doesn't seem possible under those conditions."

 

"Then, how about you guys becoming adventurers for real too?"

 

If these guys are serious about becoming adventurers, I'm willing to lend them some of my D-rank cards that I was planning to sell.

 

 That was what I was thinking when I made the suggestion. ......

 

"Ah, no, it's impossible for us. It looks spectacular at first glance, but it actually involves a lot of hard work."

 

"Above all, it's life-threatening. Even among the people who became adventurers because they admired Maro, it seems like many of them were cowering after just one trip to the dungeon, you know?"

 

"Uu, I see......."

 

 The two of them said those things with a wry smile, and I had to back off.

 

 There is no doubt that a D-rank card is a great protection in the F-rank dungeon, but the fear in of the dungeon is a completely different matter.

 

 Haunted houses are safe, but they are still scary,....... I guess that was how it was portrayed.

 

 It was a common story that people who became adventurers because they were only attracted to the bright parts of adventurers broke down when they saw actual monsters.

 

 That was when Higashino asked me, as if he had just remembered,

 

"By the way, why is it that the club president is a junior girl and not you?"

 

"Oh, yeah, I was wondering about that too. Why is a freshman the president? Isn't it usually done by an upper grade student?"

 

"Ah~ ......"

 

I answered their questions with a strained smile,

 

" [In a special club like this, a beautiful girl should be the head of the club!] was what she said."

 

 It was a complete geek's mindset. Even the East-West duo laughed at this.

 

 But this was seriously not going to get us any new members. I have to somehow compromise the acceptance criteria for the new members. ......

 

 As I was thinking that, I received a Line message from Anna. When I saw it, I couldn't help but let out a surprised "Oh?!"

 

"What's wrong?"

 

Nishida asked, to which I showed him the text of the Line and said,

 

"She found a new member of the club."

 

 

 

 

 After school, I went to the meeting place with Anna.

 

The place was Denim's, where I had chatted with Anna before.

 

 Anna liked this family restaurant so much that she would always designate Denim's as our meeting place.

 

 When I entered the restaurant, there was already a distinctive redhead waiting for me at a table. 

 

 I told the waitress who greeted me that I had a companion already waiting for me, and as I made my way to the table, I noticed someone sitting next to Anna, a girl I didn't recognize.

 

 She was a girl about Anna's age, with short black hair. She has modified her uniform so much that it was even obvious from a distance. She was wearing frills and a number of belts and ...... something that could be described as gothic lolita punk style, an extremely chuuni1-like clothes.

 

 Even though my high school allows the uniforms to be modified, it was a little surprising that they were changing things up this much.

 

 While wondering if she was the third member of the club, I took my seat.

 

"Sorry for being late."

 

No, we just arrived too!”

 

"I see. And... you are?"

 

 I turned my attention to the gothic lolita punk-looking girl sitting next to her.

 

 The girl looked like a doll, with a reasonably pretty face. She was a beautiful girl with a slightly cold look, rather than pretty. I didn't notice it when I saw her from afar, but it seemed that she had dyed only the inside of her hair blue. Something called inner coloring.

 

 The girl smiled meaningfully at my gaze.

 

"Huh, are you curious about my name? Fine, I'll tell you. My name is--gof!"

 

"Gof?"

 

 As I tilted my head at the strange name, Gof-san glared at Anna.

 

 ...It seemed that Anna had elbowed her in the side with her elbow.

 

"Wha, what are you doing!"

 

"Ah, it looked like you went wild again. I thought you'd stopped doing that after all the pain you'd been through."

 

"Uu......."

 

 When Anna said this in disgust, Gof-san looked down as if she was stumped for words.

 

"What is this about?"

 

"Hmm, I was in the same junior high school as this girl, but she wasn't really like this. She was more of a plain person. Then when she went to high school, she became like this..."

 

‘I see.’

I nodded.

 

"So this is what you call a high school debut......"

 

"............................"

 

 Gof-san blushed up to her ears at my words.

 

 High school debut. It is a kind of ritual in which people who lack self-confidence dye their hair or change their fashion once they become high school students in order to change themselves.

 

 While many of them succeed and end up joining the normie group, there are also plenty who, in their attempts to shed their dull junior high school selves, take a sharp turn and run headlong in the most oblique direction.

 

Gof-san is probably one of those who have rushed in the oblique direction.

 

 Furthermore, in her case, she seemed to be suffering from chuunibyou behavior as well.

 

 There were many people in this age group who developed chuunibyou behavior because of their admiration of the monster card's good looks and demeanor.

 

"It seems that she wanted to change her plain self and ended up going out of control. I felt like I had to do something about it, so I brought her here today."

 

"I see... that.. means this girl will join the adventurer's club too?"

 

“Yes, even though she looks like this, this girl is also a two-star adventurer.”

 

“Two stars!?”

 

 I stared at her intently at the unexpectedly high rank.

 

I mean, if she's a two-star adventurer in middle school, then why would she need to make her debut in high school?

 

Hmm, maybe she didn't really aim to be in the top of the school caste? Maybe she just wanted to change herself?

 

"Then, is Gof-san..."

 

"No, not Gof! That's just because I choked!"

 

 Gof--or rather, the girl--cried out in a small voice, as if to cover my line.

 

"Oh, oh. Sorry about that. Umm, what's your real name?"

 

"My name is Christina Schwartz--"

 

"Huh, a lie. It's Oribe Sayo, you know?"

 

"Hey!"

 

 Oribe, who changed her name to Christina, tried to cover Anna's mouth.

 

I don’t think it’s such a strange name, but…”

 

".....Because Sayo is old-fashioned and my surname sounds like a warlord2 ......."

 

 It seemed that she had a complex that only she could understand.

 

Old-fashioned... but it's elegant, though…”

 

"E- elegant..."

 

 Hearing my murmur, Oribe-san started playing with her hair, looking embarrassed.

 

 When Anna saw Oribe-san like that, she turned her eyes towards me.

 

Senpai, did you suddenly make a pass on a girl?”

 

"Wha- no!"

 

 I seriously don't mean it that way.

 Because ...... Oribe-san's bosom was very modest.

 

"Well, in any case, there are finally three of us. Only two more."

 

"That's true, but I'd like to take a break from recruiting new members and give priority to finding an advisor."

 

"That's fine. But why?"

 

 Anna answered my question while opening her notepad,

 

Apparently, after looking into it, it seems that you can apply for a club with three or more members and an advisor. The only difference is that there is no club room and no club budget. Since we don't need a club room or club budget right away, I thought we could start with just a club for the time being. I heard that if the club is active to some extent, it will be easier to be promoted to the next level."

 

"If that's okay with you, that's fine..."

 

 When I said this while looking at Oribe-san, she silently nodded.

 

"But finding an advisor is even harder than finding a club member."

 

 Anna grinned at that.

 

"Don't worry. I've already found a candidate for that position."

 

 

 

[Tips] Team System

 

 The Adventurers' Guild recommends that adventurers work as a team to conquer the dungeons for safety reasons, and offers various preferential treatment to adventurers who work in teams. Benefits include the opening of some dungeons that are not open to the public, discounts on magic items, cards, and converting magic items into cards, as well as 'quests' that can be arranged. But the most notable of these is the relaxation of entry restrictions based on team rank.

 

 This allows even amateur adventurers to enter professional-class dungeons. But there are also some malicious teams that require adventurers to pay up to a certain amount for their membership, as well as for cards and other items.

 

 Even so, there are many adventurers who wish to join a team because it is extremely difficult to conquer the pro-class dungeons on your own.

 

 There is a big barrier to promotion from a three-star adventurer to a four-star adventurer, but it is said that there is an even greater difference between D-rank dungeons and C-rank dungeons...

 

***

 


Notes:

Chuuni from Chuunibyou. Chuunibyou is a term typically used to describe early teens who have grandiose delusions, who desperately want to stand out, and who have convinced themselves that they have hidden knowledge or secret powers. It translates to ‘middle-school syndrome’.

It seems to refer to the warlord and Tea master, Furuta Oribe.

 


Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon! (Psst, go and check out the FREE trial on the first tier!)

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

 

Support Me