Monday, December 11, 2023

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 40

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #40

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

Episode 40: The Adventurer's Club is Up and Running

 

 

 

 The first thing I noticed when I woke up was the smell of disinfectant.

 

I turned my head and looked around. White floors and walls, clean sheets, a light blue hospital gown... and an IV drip standing by my side.

 

"...... hospital?"

 

What in the world...... Right! My cards!

 

 I searched around my body, then looked at the bedside table and found my deck in the drawer.

 

 I patted my chest in relief and started to check the cards one by one.

 

 First, the Lost soul cards of Renge, Eliza, and Mea.

 

 I gently caressed their cards, which had turned gray.

 

 My inexperience has caused them to be Lost, but as long as these soul cards remain, I can get them back.

 

I'll revive them right away.

 

 With this determination, I took a closer look to see if there was anything wrong with their status.

 

 There was no particular change in Renge and Eliza, but Mea had acquired a new skill as expected.

 

[Race] Empusa (Mea)

[Combat Power] 280 (MAX!)

[Inborn Skills]

Sucking: She can absorb and store the target's magic and life force.

Invitation to Dream: Can use powerful sleep magic.

The three transformations: Can transform from a beautiful woman into a dog, cow, or donkey.

[Acquired Skills]

Little devil’s heart.

A single-minded heart.

Friendship linkage

Elementary wizard apprentice

Medium-level status ailment magic

Curse a man, and they will be cursed with two pits (NEW!): Curses a target according to their own combat power and the damage they received, and then the target will receives feedback for the damage they have inflicted.

 

 [Curse a man, and they will be cursed with two pits ] was a rare skill that can be obtained by those who had continued to use the [Abnormal status] skill.

 

 The details of the conditions for acquiring this skill were not disclosed, but it was said that the trigger for acquiring it was to hate someone so much that you wanted to kill them even if they were dead.

 

 I made that bright Mea harbor such hatred... I felt ashamed about that.

 

 Due to its nature, if you curse others, there is a very high risk that you will be Lost after using it.

 

 It was a great new skill, but I'll have to seal it off.

 

 Next, I checked the cards of Suzuka, Dragonet, and the unused Lycanthropes, and finally looked at Yuki's card, the only one that was intact.

 

 Since all the other cards were safe, I was sure that she, who had been with me until the end, would also be safe. ......With that thought in mind when I saw Yuki's card, which I took a look last, I couldn't help but fell into speechlessness.

 

 

 

[Race] Lycanthrope (Yuki)

[Combat Power] 950 (150 UP!)

 

[Inborn skills]

When The Moon is Full, It Follows

Wolf Clothing

Awakening of Instinct

 

[Acquired skills]

Loyalty

Little hero

The True One (NEW!)

Breakthrough of Limits (NEW!)

True Follower Summoning (NEW!)

Lord of The Territory (NEW!)

Advanced Ninjutsu (NEW!)

 

 

 

"What- the, this......?"

 

 A card with an illustration of a beautiful girl with brown hair and dark green mesh. I checked over and over again to make sure that the name 'Yuki' was clearly written there.

 

What the hell is going on? Why is Yuki increasing in rank? Combat power 950? The growth limit for a lycanthrope should have been 800. Besides, what exactly is this skill set...?

 

 I trembled in fear, as if Yuki, who I was supposed to know well, had become a stranger.

 

What the hell happened while I was unconscious...?

 

 Confused and alone, a knock sounded in the room.

 

"......Yes?"

 

"Sorry to bother you. ......Is it okay if I call you Kitagawa Utamaro-kun?”

 

 The man who entered the room saying so was a middle-aged man of about 40 years old. The man had a gentle face but a powerful look in his eyes, and he was the kind of adult who made you stand up straight just by being around him.

 

"Yes, it's okay, but..."

 

"My name is Ayumu Oshima. This is what I am."

 

"Police......?"

 

 The police identification that Oshima-san showed me had the word 'police inspector' and his photo on it.

 

 I'm not very familiar with police identification, but it looked like the real thing at first glance.

 

“Kitagawa-kun, you collapsed at the Dungeon Mart, at the 14th dungeon of D-rank in Tokyo, do you remember?”

 

"Um..."

 

"If you don't mind, could you just tell me what you remember from the moment you entered the dungeon?"

 

"……Yes, I understand."

 

 Oshima-san had a calm tone, not oppressive, so I started talking to him one by one about what had happened since I entered the dungeon:

 

 About using the Flute of Hamelin to teleport to the floor where I last stopped. Along the clearing, I met another adventure, Aoki-san, and traded cards. That I encountered a gremlin on the bottom floor and had my phone, camera, and adventurer's license destroyed. Also about being attacked by other adventurer and being asked to hand over all my cards.

 

 ---And that I got an opening and used the [Transfer1] magic card I had hidden and how I ran away with my life...

 

 I openly conveyed the events that happened 'as I remember them, without any lies or falsehoods'.

 

 Oshima-san took notes on my testimony, asking questions here and there, then when I finished speaking, he finally looked me in the eye and confirmed with me,

 

“…Is this everything?”

 

"Yes, that's all I remember."

 

 Oshima-san stared at me with a difficult expression on his face for a while, but then he took a deep breath and looked up at the sky.

 

"I see... then that means that the attacker is in charge of all the mysteries. That's a shame."

 

"...? Did something happen?"

 

 When I asked that question, Oshima-san looked a little troubled, then he said,

 

"...Well, you'll find out soon, so I suppose it's fine. Actually, the dungeon you were in has disappeared."

 

"…………Eh?"

 

That dungeon has disappeared...? Hasn't dungeons never been confirmed to disappear? Why on earth...? Don't tell me, it's the work of that person who attacked me?!

 

 While I was dumbfounded, Oshima-san scratched his head and grumbled,

 

"The country is already in an uproar all over the place. After all, it's been 20 years since the dungeon appeared...and this is the first time a dungeon has disappeared. It seems like there's been a flood of inquiries from foreign countries as well. It hasn't been on the news yet, so the general public... It's not known, but it's probably only a matter of time. So I have a request for you, Kitagawa-kun..."

 

Request?”

 

"Yes. The government and the police will hide information about you, but the media might sniff out something on you. At that time, please don't tell them anything. It would hinder the investigation."

 

"Ah......, I understand."

 

"Thank you. Then,"

 

 With that, Oshima-san left.

 

 I leaned back onto the bed and stared blankly at the ceiling.

 

"........................................................................"

 

'The dungeon has disappeared', huh?

I wonder if that criminal did it to get rid of me who managed to run away from them...?

 

 

But I also think that there was no way. In the first place, if they could find a way to make the dungeon disappear, they would have enough money to play around with it for the rest of their life, and any crime would be covered up by the government.

 

"........................Ugh, it's no use, I don't know."

 

 I thought about it for a while and surrendered.

 

 No matter how much I thought about it, I could not come up with an answer.

 But still.......

 

"I'm glad I had the [Transfer] card..."

 

 I let out a breath of relief.

 

 Even though the two were the same magic items of teleportation, the magic card that can be activated immediately and the Hamelin Flute, which requires blowing a whistle, differ in their immediate effects.

 

 If I didn't have the [Transfer] card, Anubis would have killed me while I was blowing the Hamelin Flute.

 

 I'm really glad I didn't sell the [Transfer] card. ............ No, wait.

 

"Why didn't I sell the [Transfer] card again?"

 

 For me, who had the Flute of Hamelin, the [Transfer] card was an unnecessary magic item.

 

 Unlike the Flute of Hamelin, the card had the advantage of being usable without a time lag, but I never really thought I would be attacked by other adventurers, so it felt strange to me that I kept the [Transfer] magic card for safekeeping.

 

 If this had been a [Distress] magic card, for example, I would have been happy to have it because of its different effect......

 

 Then, a flash of realization hit my brain.

 

Oh! Right. I remembered. It's the tax strategy.

 

 If you sell your magic items or cards, you have to pay taxes, but if you keep them, there are no taxes incurred.

 

 If you buy cards with cash only when you find the cards you truly want, you can minimize the amount of tax you have to pay.

 

 That's why I kept the [Transfer] magic cards instead of selling them, that's all.

 

 That was how I was able to escape.

 

 Yeah, nothing crazy about that.

 

...But why am I having doubts about having so many [Transfer] cards?

 

 Speaking of doubts, the same goes for Yuki.

 

 When did Yuki rank up to be a lycanthrope?

 

 I only had two male lycanthropes. There was no way she could rank up with them.

 

 When did I get the right lycanthrope card?

 

 What happened while I was out cold? Am I forgetting something? Something happened between the time I used the [Transfer] magic card and the time I was found collapsed in the Dungeon Mart:.......

 

 Just as my consciousness began to dive deep into the sea of memories,

 

"Excuse~ me."

 

 Suddenly, the door to my room opened alongside a familiar bright voice.

 

 Immediately, the white image that had been flickering in my mind faded away.

 

"Good morning, Senpai. How are you feeling?"

 

"Anna..."

 

 The visitor was a beautiful red-haired girl who had recently become my junior. She checked my body and then smiled cheerfully...

 

"It looks like you're not hurt... That's a relief."

 

"Yeah...... You, what about school? It's only noon right now."

 

"What! Of course I can't go to school when my respected senior is in the hospital."

 

 I gave her a blank stare as she said such a heartfelt thing. Although we had only known each other for a short time, I knew she was not such a sweetheart.

 

 Seeing my suspicious gaze, Anna stuck out her tongue like a child who had been caught playing a prank.

 

"...... Ai, you got me~ I just ran over because I couldn't stand the fact that Senpai seemed to be involved in something strange again. Eh, but it's true that I was worried. Here, this is my consolation gift to you."

 

 I asked her while accepting the sweets she had offered me.

 

"How much do you know about this? Where did you hear it from?"

 

"Well, the only thing I heard was that the dungeon that Senpai was in had disappeared. .…Can I ask you for more details?”

 

 As she said this, her eyes sparkled with curiosity that conveyed: "I won't let you go until you tell me."

 

"......Just so you know, the police have also stopped me from speaking about it, so you cannot tell anyone."

 

"Of course. If I tell anyone, I'll do anything you say."

 

Ho~h, she'll do anything? She won't get back on it, right......?

 

 I explained to Anna what I had explained to Oshima-san, while making sure I had the right words in my mind.

 

“————And that’s how I got to where I am now.”

 

"...I see. So, what do you plan to do now, Senpai?"

 

 She was listening to me seriously, and when she finished listening, she asked me that question.

 

 I answered honestly, feeling like my heart was being looked into by her jewel-like blue eyes,

 

“————Find the culprit and put an end to this incident.”

 

"Why is that? When I said that before, you stopped me, didn't you?"

 

"That's......."

 

 Anna's words stumped me a bit.

 

......To be honest,

 

 When I heard that there were many people missing in the dungeons, I thought it was someone else's problem.

 

 After all, I had never seen the faces of any of the victims, nor were they being reported on TV, and somewhere in Japan, nearly a million people die every year. Just because a few people die an unfortunate death, I am indeed not enthusiastic enough to start solving the problem.

 

 I feel sorry for them, but adventurers are responsible for their own deaths....... I kept yelling like that and didn't face it head-on.

 

 However, my true feelings were egotistical: 'It seems that low-ranked people are the target, so it's none of my business.'

 

 In the end, I guess such was the nature of the person I am.

 

 The world was complete with only myself and the people around me, and I was unable to accept the reality of whatever tragedy was happening outside of that world.

 

I was not like Anna, who immediately tried to move to solve the case as soon as she learned about it.

 

 I didn't have the sense of justice to put myself in danger for someone whose face I didn't even know.

 

 ————However, if it's for myself, my family, or my friends, it's a different story.

 

 Anna, Oribe, and ...... even Ono as an added bonus. I've only known them for a short time, but I wasn't going to be so thin-skinned as to be okay with these guys becoming victims of that Anubis.

 

 Of course, there was also a personal grudge.

 

 Well, to be honest, that was mostly it.

 

 Even now, when I close my eyes, it comes back to me vividly.

 

 I will never forget the feeling that as each piece of something important, Mea, Eliza, and Renge...... fell off, one by one, and became missing from my heart.

 

 The fear of someone seriously trying to kill me. The strong disappointment and regret I felt toward myself for having to abandon my friends and escape. Despair and burning hatred for the ...... murderer when I found out that I had gone that far to escape, only to find myself in a dead-end situation.

 

 I was burning with all kinds of emotions, and a sense of urgency that made me want to start running at any moment.

 

 I have to punish the bastards who caused my precious cards to be Lost.

 

 Otherwise, I would have no face to show to my friends who had risked their lives for my sake.

 

 I couldn't put my confused thoughts into words, so I kept my mouth shut...

 

"Well, in any case, if you're motivated, that's the best. We, the Adventurers' Club, are going to catch the culprit!"

 

 I flinched at Anna's sudden declaration.

 

"Huh? No, I'm not planning to involve the Adventurer's Club..."

 

"What are you talking about at this stage? You sound like an airhead! If you act alone, you'll die this time, you know?"

 

"Muu......"

 

``I'm telling you, as long as we don't quit being adventurers, we'll be in the same danger, right? And neither I nor Saya have any intention of quitting being adventurers or refraining from being adventurers. Then it would be safer to act together as much as possible. Right?”

 

"That's...... true."

 

 No matter how much I tell them not to dive into the dungeons, it won't mean anything if they don't want to listen to it.

 

 In that case, it is certainly safer to act together as much as possible.

 

 And... it is also true that when Anna said she would search for the culprit together with me, I was a little bit happy.

 

 After all, even though I was trying to be strong, I was also scared that I was about to be killed...

 

"Thank you, ......."

 

 Words of gratitude spilled out unconsciously.

 

"Hm-m? Did you say something?"

 

"N-no, it's nothing..."

 

No, no, you just said thank you, right?”

 

"Agh, so you did hear!"

 

Ahahaha!”

 

 That was how our Adventurer's Club began in earnest.

 

 

 

[Tips] Mind Reading Magic Items

 

 One of the misfortunes that has been disappearing since the dungeons appeared is the 'false accusations'.

 

 With the advent of mind-reading monsters like Satori2 and magic items, the police are now able to get a more accurate picture of the whole case.

 

 However, monsters and magic items with the power to read minds are extremely rare, and at present they are only used to investigate serious crimes and to counter terrorism.

 

 Whenever scandals involving members of the parliament become an issue, people call for the use of a mind-reading magic item, but there is absolutely no room for it to be used for such a thing!

 

 While the magic of mind reading is extremely useful in investigations, it also has the drawback that it is difficult to judge the subject's beliefs and perceptions. There have also been cases in which the suspect did not retain the memory of a crime committed by another personality, and the police released the suspect after determining that the person was innocent, resulting in a lengthy investigation.

 

 Naturally, because of the ease of misuse, possession and use by the general public are strictly forbidden.

 

***

 


Notes:

Before, the author use『遭難』/ Distress in chapter 39, but now the one appearing is『転移』/ Transfer. It may be a bit confusing, but we will follow the WN …

Satori (覚, 'consciousness') in Japanese folklore are mind-reading monkey-like monsters (yōkai) said to dwell within the mountains of Hida and Mino (presently Gifu Prefecture).

 



Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon! (Psst, go and check out the FREE trial on the first tier!)

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

Support Me