Monday, January 1, 2024

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 43

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #43

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

Translator(s) note: A new chapter to start 2024! Thank you for reading this at Polterglast, enjoy~ 


Episode 43: Please, Give Me Another Chance

 

 

 

 The next day after school. We had come to the dungeon to look for clues to the missing person.

 

"This is the dungeon where Shoko Sato-san went missing, huh?"

 

 I stepped into the dungeon and looked around.

 

 The type of field was forest type. A moderate amount of the setting sun was shining through the gaps in the thick trees, brightening the view, the temperature was about spring, and a pleasant breeze was blowing. It was a labyrinth that seemed to be popular with people who enjoyed nature.

 

 If accidents occur in F-rank dungeons, it were often because of bad weather conditions such as rain in nighttime dungeons.

 

 I became more convinced that this was a criminal case, as it was strange that someone would go missing in such an ideal environment.

 

"Wasn't it just a week ago that Shoko Sato-san went missing?"

 

"Yes. According to the quest info......, an acquaintance who was worried about Shoko Sato-san, who dove into the dungeon alone and did not return, sent a search request two days later."

 

"As I recall, she had been an adventurer for some time, right?"

 

"According to records, it's been about a year."

 

 One year....... In terms of adventuring career, it made her more senior than I am. Depending on how often she dives into the dungeon, she will probably be used to giving instructions to her cards and attacking monsters.

 

 I don't think such a person would go missing in an F-rank dungeon just because of a minor accident.

 

 As expected, she was most likely attacked by someone in this dungeon. Probably...by the Hound Master.

 

"...... I guess I should summon my card for now."

 

 Even with the gate of return at our back, we never know where the criminal might be lurking in this dungeon.

 

 It would be better to summon a card soon.

 

 I took Yuki's card out of my pocket.

 

 Depicted on it was a beautiful girl with a familiar name, but a girl who looked not familiar to me.

 

 I wonder if she was around the same age as me. She had her brown hair tied up in a ponytail with a dark green streak, and her large, wide eyes were pale gold like the moon, and she looked at me with a cheerful smile.

 

  ...... I've done a lot of research since then, but most of her newly acquired skills don't even appear by name, and the only ones I could barely make out were the [Lord of The Territory] and the [Advanced Ninjutsu1].

 

 Of these, the [Advanced Ninjutsu] was relatively easy to find out, and it was a local skill in Japan.

 

 Local skills were special skills that only appear on monsters in a specific region.

 

 Chinese senjutsu2, European witchcraft, Scandinavian rune magic, etc... Skills that can only be acquired by monsters appearing in that particular region are called local skills to distinguish them from normal skills.

 

 One of the characteristics of local skills was that, unlike normal skills of magic, they were less versatile but were sharply specialized.

 

 In the case of ninjutsu skills, many of them were techniques that can be used to confuse the enemy, such as transformation techniques and clone techniques.

 

 For example, Suiton3 no Jutsu4. This was a ninjutsu that allows one to hide oneself in water and remain underwater for extended periods of time.

 

 ...Now that I think about it, the lycanthrope who attacked me from the lake that day probably also had ninjutsu skills.

 

 Even though the ninjutsu skills may be minor and only a few have them, it was my mistake to turn my back on the lake unguardedly.

 

 Next, the [Lord of The Territory]. This was the skill to form a territory centered on oneself according to one's fighting ability. It was a higher level skill that combined [Presence detection], [Group activities], and [Recovery] skills. It was said to be able to detect the presence of enemies who invaded the territory, improve the abilities of all allies, and even restore some damage and fatigue.

 

 The disadvantage was that while generating a territory, Yuki's presence becomes known to the surrounding area, so weak enemies whose fighting strength was too far apart will keep away and enemies of the same or higher rank will be attracted. The range of the territory will be reduced according to the combat power of the surrounding enemies.

 

 Still, the advantages of searching for enemies, strengthening the abilities of all allies, and providing recovery more than compensated for the disadvantages.

 

 Although there were many unknown ones, such as [The True One] and [Breakthrough of Limits], the [Lord of The Territory] and the [Advanced Ninjutsu] alone had the power to completely improve the strategy so far.

 

 So much so that I think that if we had these skills at that time, we might have been able to bite back a little more against the Hound Master......

 

 However, for that reason, the greater the power Yuki get, the more I was anxious about whether she was really the Yuki I knew.

 

 But that will become clear if I call her here now.

 

"Come out, Yuki!"

 

 I shook off my hesitation and summoned Yuki.

 

 With a light, the girl depicted in the illustration appeared.

 

 Her height was... about 160cm, which puts her between Renge and Eliza. She was slender and toned, like an athlete. She wore a white sleeveless turtleneck with her midriff exposed, revealing her ripped abdominal muscles. The lower half of her body, in contrast, was draped in black trousers that reveal no body lines.

 

 Overall, she was a beautiful girl with an active impression.

 

"Yuki...is that you?"

 

 I timidly asked her. She had become a completely different person, even though she had the same atmosphere as the old Yuki...

 

"Yes! Master!"

 

 With tears in the corners of her eyes, she...... Yuki answered.

 

 The soft manner and tone of voice was the same as it was when she was a coosie.

 

 Was it because of my sentimentality that I had a vision of her tail swinging behind her back?

 

 I was relieved for the moment, but then I switched to the Link and asked her,

 

......What happened? When did you become a lycanthrope?

 

That's ...... sorry, I'm not sure either.......

 

Is that so.......

 

More than that... I'm sorry, Master. I'm the only one who can't help...

 

 Saying that, Yuki lowered her head in frustration.

 

 Through the Link, I can feel her regret and shame at having no choice but to run away while leaving her friends behind,.......

 

 But that is .......

 

No, it's not your fault. It's my fault for my poor judgment.

 

 I was the one who made the wrong call. It was also me who decided to run away using Renge and the others as pawns. All responsibility lies with me.

 

 If I start putting the blame for my defeat on my cards, I am finished as an adventurer and as a human being.

 

 That was the last bit of pride I had left, as I had no choice but to flee in disgrace.

 

 But Yuki still shook her head.

 

No, but if only I had been stronger at that time…... Master.

 

 Yuki stared at me, a strong determination glowed in her eyes.

 

What is it?

 

Do you still have the two Lycanthrope cards?

 

Yeah, I do......

 

If you don't mind, can you give them to me?

 

Huh......?

 

 I couldn't help but be taken aback.

 

 I can't understand this abnormal situation where a card want cards.

 

Uh, w- why?

 

My new skill, [True Follower Summoning], is a skill that consumes other cards and takes in the monsters.

 

Consume card and takes in......?

 

Master, are you familiar with the normal subordinate summoning skill?

 

Yes.

 

 The subordinate summoning skill is the ability to summon a certain monster of the lower rank countless times at a regular interval, or to summon a certain number of monsters of the same rank or lower ranks as subordinate at will.

 

 In the former case, they must be summoned one by one after a certain amount of time, just as a high kobold summons kobolds, but an unlimited number of them can be summoned.

 

 In the latter case, like the water tigers we fought in the past, the number of subordinates that can be summoned is limited, but a large number can be summoned at once. Also, compared to the former, the subordinates in the latter case have a higher ability value as a whole.

 

 Another tendency of subordinates is that they have a lower combat power than the original combat power of their race, only innate skills, and they do not inherit memories or grow.

 

 In other words, the summoning of subordinates was the ability to summon something like a shadow of a lower level of the race.

 

 It can be said that it was a skill that was completely focused on quantity rather than quality.

 

 Still, the ability to increase the number of allies without regard to the summoning limit in the dungeon was so impressive that cards with this skill were priced at high value across the board.

 

 Currently, most of the cards that have the summoning subordinates skill have it as an inborn skill, and no method had been found to make them learn it as acquired skills.

 

 Only in rare cases, some of them appear to have it as an acquired skill when dropped as a card from the beginning.

 

 ......Well, that what I know about the subordinate summoning skill

 

My [True Follower Summoning] skill is a little different from the normal subordinate summoning skill. First, the normal skill can summon monsters without any catalyst, whereas the [True Follower Summoning] skill requires a card of the same race. Also, the number of subordinate that can be summoned is equal to the number of cards taken in.

 

Hmmm ......

 

 I had some concerns about the disadvantage of requiring cards of the same race, but I decided to wait until I had heard the whole explanation before I made a decision.

 

Next, normal subordinates have minimal performance and do not grow, but the subordinates I call retain the capabilities of the card as it they are taken in, and even grow like normal cards by gaining experience. Moreover, like normal subordinates, they are not Lost when they die, and can be summoned again after a certain amount of time has passed.

 

Seriously?!

 

 This time, I couldn't hide my surprise at Yuki's words.

 

 She was saying that she could produce subordinates that would grow, which was equivalent to saying that she could invoke a card that was practically indestructible.

 

 It goes beyond the realm of a card and closer to that of a master.

 

 No, given that it required a card for a catalyst, this was a skill that should be called 'card mastership'.

 

 Too strong,....... An A-rank's skill... might be an exaggeration, but it was as powerful as an upper B-rank's skill.

 

Tell me more details.

 

 After hearing the details of the [True Follower Summoning], I learned the following:

 

Cards of the same race are required to create subordinates. Cards that have been taken in cannot be returned.

Unlike normal subordinates, the subordinates can grow like a monster card. However, growth is slower than normal cards, and skills are difficult to develop.

Even if the subordinate dies, it only requires a cooldown time and is not Lost.

The subordinate can have one of the main monster's skills, but lowered by one level.

The number of cards that can be taken in is currently limited to three. More than that is not possible until after any of them are deleted. This number is likely to increase in the future.

If the subordinates are treated too badly, they may gain the rebellious skills just like normal cards.

When Yuki ranks up and changing race, the cards she has taken in will be Lost.

 

 ...... There is a disadvantage. It was painful to know that the card cannot be restored and will be Lost when she ranks up, and if not handled properly, they will gain rebellious skills such as [Closed Mind] like the former Renge.

 

 However, the ability to summon subordinate that can grow... or rather, being able to summon monsters that would not be Lost was a huge advantage.

 

 Above all, the ability to call them beyond the dungeon's summoning limit was appealing.

 

 It will be useful not only in the normal dungeon capture strategy, but also in MonColo matches.

 

What about other skills?

 

As for [The True One]...... I'm sorry, I don't really know.

 

 Yuki lowered her head. There were three groups of skills: those that one knew how to use at the moment of acquisition, those that even the wielder did not know how to use, or a mixture of the two.

 

 The first group was mostly magic and technical skills, while the second was more special types, such as [Little hero] skill. [The True One] seemed to be a special skill, just like the [Little hero] skill.

 

 Note that most skills were listed under the third group.

 

I see....... What about [Breakthrough of Limits]?

 

Ah, I understand a little bit about that one. It seems that the [Breakthrough of Limits] is the ability to double the initial combat power and growth limit, and to draw out the power of some skills beyond the normal level.

 

Double! Doesn't that mean you're practically B rank!

 

 No, rather than B-rank, it should be called degraded B-rank. Her inborn skills are more powerful than C-rank, but even so, it still won't fit within the framework of B-rank.

 

 On the contrary, if Yuki could carry over these skills when she ranks up, her power would be comparable to that of A-rank.

 

Whoa...... crazy, too crazy. [True Follower Summoning] and [Breakthrough of Limits] are.......

 

 A shiver of excitement crept up my spine.

 

With this power, to that Hound Master, this time I'll be able to......!

 

 At the same time, the cool-headed part in the corner of my mind expressed dread.

 

This power is too strong. It is beyond the bounds of ordinary skills. In particular, the [Breakthrough of Limits] skill deviates from the system of card ranks.

 

If this skill is discovered, it will invite trouble.......

 

......Should I report this new skill to the Guild?

 

 The guild had a system that rewards people for reporting new skills.

 

 Although it was intended to advance the research of cards, the system was also intended to protect those who reported it to the Guild.

 

 If you reported to the Guild, they would make you cooperate with some experiments, but in return, they would protect you from all sorts of trouble.

 

 ...That is, unless the Guild itself becomes an enemy.

 

 The guild was after all one of the national institutions. There was no such thing as a clean country. In the event of an emergency, there was a possibility that 'everything' will be confiscated.

 

So should I keep it a secret or report it myself.....

 

"Um, what's going on? Is there some kind of trouble?"

 

 Anna asked, probably feeling suspicious of us continuing to talk over the Link.

 

......Let's stop thinking about it for now.

 

Oh, no, nothing.… So that is your party?”

 

 While telling Yuki, We'll talk about it later, I turned back to Anna and Oribe and there I saw the monster cards they had summoned.

 

 Anna's monster card was a beautiful winged white horse...... Pegasus. She probably ranked up her Unicorn, which I had fought in a previous match.

 

 The Pegasus was fitted with a bridle, rope, and stirrups. It was apparent that Anna had a fondness for horseback riding.

 

 These things reminded me that she was a proper young lady, even though she often doesn't look like one.

 

 She had an elf attendant and a white Pegasus horse. It was a really good-looking party, fitting the image of Anna, the daughter of a company president and a beautiful half-Japanese girl.

 

 Oribe's, on the other hand, was.......

 

"Ugh......, it's always so creepy no matter how many times I see it!"

 

"Don't call her creepy! Tsucchi is strong, kind, smart, and loyal!"

 

 Anna and my gaze were caught by what Oribe had summoned, and I shivered with goosebumps all over my body.

 

 Oribe raised a protest against Anna. She seemed genuinely upset.

 

 ......But with apologies to Oribe, I had to say that her card was...... indeed, a little creepy.

 

 She had eight strangely long and slender legs in contrast to her rounded and swollen body. Her entire body was covered in tiger-print hairs. On her shoulders was the big face of an eerie old woman.

 

 Tsuchigumo5. That was the name of the monster card Oribe had summoned.

 

"Master, don't worry. I'm not concerned about that...'"

 

"Tsucchi......."

 

 The Tsuchigumo just smiled after hearing Anna's words. Oribe looked at her with concern.

 

 It was a heartwarming exchange between the card and the master... Ah, I can't really say it was a heartwarming exchange.

 

 Tears welled up on Anna's face as she saw this scene, which was much scarier than a bad horror movie.

 

"Ugh...I feel nauseous..."

 

"Hey! That's really rude!"

 

 Oribe snapped at Anna, who was clutching her mouth and gagging.

 

"Ah, well, well, calm down. Anna... it's bad manners to make fun of other people's cards or make them feel bad."

 

 "Uh... I'm sorry. I just..."

 

 I was actually more like Anna inside, but I tried to pacify them.

 

 In fact, it was considered a serious violation of etiquette to make fun of other adventurers' cards in the dungeon.

 

 Sometimes, it could escalated to a duel with the cards, and repeated provocations were enough to earn a severe warning from the Guild.

 

 ......That said, among the female adventurers, there were quite a few who were physiologically unable to accept monsters with creepy visuals like the Tsuchigumo.

 

 Some said that if it is good manners not to make fun of other people's cards, it is also good manners not to use cards that others find repulsive.

 

"Hu......, As expected of you, Senpai, you understand very well. You're just the kind of person who loves to use a ghouler."

 

 Oribe, who seems to have lowered her billowing as Anna honestly lowered her head, for some reason started to look at me favorably.

 

 ......Apparently, I'm gaining a good impression because of I used ghouler.

 

 Perhaps it was because ghouler was also a card that was sufficiently avoided by the public.

 

"Personally, I wanted that Ghouler to follow in the path of the undead queen lines, like Hel from Kyonshi and Yomizu Okami, but I guess it can’t be helped since the prize of the tournament was a vampire.Vampires are cool too.”

 

"Oh, you like that kind of..... horror stuff, Oribe?"

 

"Mm.... Well, yeah."

 

 When I asked that question, Oribe seemed to have realized that she had suddenly begun to talk passionately and so she became silent, her cheeks turned red.

 

"Sayo loves horror movies and stuff like that. Her cards are all full of undead and such kind!"

 

"H- hey! Don't reveal it without my permission!"

 

"Isn't it fine? I'm not good with horror movies, so instead, next time, invite Senpai to go see them. No, for real. I'm serious."

 

Damn, you worthless friend!”

 

 Oribe swear at Anna who said this in a rather serious tone, as if she had been forced to go see a lot of horror movies that she didn't like.

 

 Seeing Oribe like that, I said,

 

"I like horror movies quite a bit too, so let's go see one next time."

 

Eh… ah…. Well, if Senpai insists…”

 

Are you a tsundere6?”

 

 Oribe looked embarrassed and Anna tsked in frustration

 

 Well then, it's about time.

 

"Okay, let's talk about that later... C'mon, it's time to move......."

 

 When I said that, the two of them straightened their faces and nodded.

 

 As expected of a two- or three-star adventurers. Switching was quick.

 

 When I saw them mounting their monster cards, I was about to ride Yuki as usual, but then I stopped.

 

 ......Yuki is now in the form of a beautiful girl. Even if I had her change into a werewolf form, she would still walk on two legs like a human.

 

 It was somewhat unsuitable for riding.

 

It can't be helped, I'll bring out Dragonet.

 

"Come out! Dragonet!"

 

 At my call, a small dragon appeared.

 

 The Dragonet that appeared greeted me in its usual lively voice.

 

"I'm glad to see you're safe, Master!"

 

"Ah, I'm sorry Dragonet, you had to go through all that right away."

 

 From this little dragon's point of view, it must be thinking that it was being driven to the brink of death right after becoming a member of our party, so I apologized, but.....

 

"No! I'm sorry that I wasn't as strong!"

 

 On the contrary, it bowed its head in apology.

 

 I wonder if this was also the effect of [Selfless devotion]. For the master's side, it was helpful to restrain their personal feelings and devote themselves to be of service, but I was a little afraid of an outburst because of it.

 

 The dragon race was said to be especially prideful, even when they were small in size. Compared to other monsters, they were likely to be more stressed.

 

 In a sense, I should pay more attention to the dragon than I did to Renge or Mea, who were easy to understand.

 

"...Then, I'm sorry to be sudden, but can I have a ride?"

 

"Ha, yes, Sir!"

 

 Based on my previous experience, I fitted a simple saddle that I had prepared for Dragonet and climbed on top of it. When Yuki climbed on behind me, I could smell a sweet scent that hadn't been there when she was a coosie. That, and a soft feeling.......

 

"? Is something wrong, Master?"

 

"N-no, it's nothing."

 

 I shook my head and turned back to Anna and the others.

 

"For now, should we explore in order from the top? The quest didn't mention where the victim went missing, right?"

 

"...No, if it's a normal missing person search, we can do that, but this time it's a case involving the Hound Master. So..."

 

"There's a high possibility that they were forced to escape from the bottom floor upwards. So let's start exploring from the bottom floor."

 

 I nodded and directed the Dragonet toward the lowest floor.

 

 

***



 Notes:

Martial art strategy and tactics of unconventional warfare, guerrilla warfare, insurgency tactics and espionage purportedly practiced by the ninja.

Wizardry: Secret of immortality

Art of water

Skill

Tsuchigumo is a giant spider apparition that began to be depicted as large mythical spider-like beasts in the Japanese middle ages.

Especially used to describe someone who is usually cold or cranky but occasionally shows a soft, kind, mushy side.

 



Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon! (Psst, go and check out the FREE trial on the first tier!)

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

 

Support Me