Monday, January 8, 2024

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 44

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #44

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

Episode 44: Please, Give Me Another Chance (2)

 

 

 

 The journey to the bottom floor went extremely smoothly.

 

 As expected of two-star and three-star adventurers, the monsters along the way were nothing. The floors were only a few, so it didn't take long for us to reach the bottom floor, and we even defeated the boss in the bottom floor.

 

"Hmmm, indeed, in an F-rank dungeon, even the boss is no different from those small fry."

 

 Anna laughed as she looked at the corpse, or rather, the magic stone of Onmoraki, the boss of the dungeon.

 

 The face of Onmoraki1, who was killed by Yuki's blow, had displayed a look of indescribable melancholy on it.

 

".....The Hound Master shows no sign of attacking us at the moment."

 

 When I said that while looking around, Oribe nodded.

 

“Well, basically it seems like Hound Master is targeting individuals. I guess it’s because if they target two or more people, the chances of them escaping go up significantly. Besides… Senpai has already been targeted by the other party once. Of course, they will think that you came to the dungeon after taking measures to escape. Unless Senpai has very solid evidence or their reason for targeting Senpai is unique, I don't think Senpai will be targeted by the criminal.''

 

"I see......."

 

 Indeed, if you think about it normally, if someone's life was targeted, but they immediately crawled into the dungeon, wouldn't the culprit think they had some kind of countermeasure?

 

 In fact, even though I'm relying on Anna and Oribe, I've prepared magic cards for evacuation.

 

 The information at hand about the criminals was not necessarily traced directly to the Hound Master.

 

 As for Renge, she was the only one from my point of view, but I can't say that there are no other cards like her.

 

 Then I guess the culprit would be more likely to go after other unsuspecting prey rather than messing around with me any further.

 

 I was relieved that I wasn't likely to be attacked at the moment, but disappointed that I couldn't be used as bait to lure the culprit out of the water when the time came.

 

"Now for the..... disappointment box. Yeah, it's just a potion....By the way, what about the distribution?"

 

 After collecting the reward for conquering the dungeon, I suddenly thought of the question and asked Anna.

 

"Right... The actual amount is not very much and I would like to say that you can go ahead and take it... BUT, since this is something that concerns the future, I'm going to say it here."

 

 Anna said seriously,

 

"We will adopt a per-capita system for income based on contract fees after expenses are deducted.''

 

 I understand what she mean by deducting the expenses and split them by heads, but... contract fees?

 

 When I tilted my head, Oribe added,

 

"The contract fee system is a common practice in professional teams. When a team invites an adventurer who is more talented than the average adventurers on the team, a certain amount of money is first given as a contract fee, with the agreement that the profit will be split among the team's members in the future."

 

"Oh, it's like that......"

 

 I often hear that the distribution of rewards was a source of trouble for adventurers who form parties.

 

 The best way to avoid such a problem was to divide the reward based on the number of people in the party. However, if there was a difference in the strength of the members in the party, there would inevitably be a difference in the degree of contribution to the strategy, and dissatisfaction would build up among the party members.

 

 However, if rewards are to be differentiated depending on the degree of contribution, then there will be a dispute over how to calculate the degree of contribution.

 

 Was it simply that the more enemies you kill, the higher your contribution? If so, wouldn't it mean those with cards that only emphasize firepower have an advantage? How do we evaluate those that contribute to the party with recovery, auxiliary skills, or special skills? How do we compensate for the loss or contribution of those that ended with Lost cards along the way? And so on. The tussles were endless.

 

 I hear that parties like university adventurers' clubs, where parties were fixed from the beginning and there was a hierarchical structure of senior and junior members, were relatively stable, but I also hear that the average amateur adventurer's party was in a lot of flux.

 

 In addition, the distribution of rewards for parties continued to be a headache for adventurers, as there was much debate over how to distribute the drops of cards and magic items, not to mention magic stones, and taxes were also a factor in when they were to be redeemed for cash.

 

 I came thus far as a solo adventurer partly because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of such relationships.

 

 In that sense, the contract fee system, in which money is initially given in the form of a contract fee, and thereafter the parties agree to split the payment on a head-to-head basis, seemed to be an excellent way of doing things.

 

 Well, I think we'll still need to have a lot of discussions...

 

“Well, I think it would be good if we can discuss the specific details next time, but for now, please understand that our basic policy is tsplit the reward on a per-head basis.”

 

"Okay, I understand."

 

 I nodded at Anna's words, thinking that it wasn't something we should discuss inside the dungeon.

 

"Well, we've been on guard all this time, but it doesn't look like the Hound Master is going to attack us, so let's be bold here and split up into three groups to search the floors!"

 

"Understood. If anything happens, please contact each other immediately."

 

 The map was easily divided into three sections, and each section was assigned to a different person.

 

 Now that I was alone, I decided to call Suzuka, taking turns with Dragonet to increase our manpower first.

 

 The humanoid Suzuka was also better suited to detailed tasks such as searching for things.

 

......Now that I think of it, I owe Suzuka an apology.

 

 She had advised me before I went down to the bottom floor last time, and I had disregarded her advice.

 

I must first apologize to her for not believing her.

 

 With that in mind, I switched Dragonet and called her out......

 

"……Fufufufufu!"

 

 For some reason, Suzuka appeared with a conceited and proud look on her face.

 

 I was puzzled by this unprecedented pattern of entrance.

 

"Hey hey, Master? Is there something you want to tell me?"

 

 Suzuka asked me that in a sticky voice and tone.

 

 Thi, this punk....... Although I thought like that, I bowed my head to her.

 

"I am sorry that I ignored Suzuka-san's advice and rushed into the bottom floor, causing a great deal of suffering."

 

“Kyahahaha! Right!? Right!?”

 

 Suzuka clapped her hands and got very excited. She seemed to be in high spirits, exuding extreme emotion like the demon she was.

 

 The sight of her made me think, 'Huh? Maybe I didn't need to apologize?'

 

"Aww! Even though I gave you that much advice. Because of that, that Zashikiwara...puff (*holding back laughter). From now on, you'll have to listen to me properly. Heey, do you understand?"

 

"......Kh."

 

 I gritted my teeth inwardly at Suzuka's seemingly sarcastic line.

 

 After all, she...is a genius at making people irritated.

 

 To begin with, she said she gave me so much advice, but that advice was just 'something didn't feel right', and it pissed me off that she used it as a springboard for a sermon.

 

 It doesn't help that she seemed to be clearly happy about the death of her comrades.

 

 ...However, it was a fact that I did not follow the advice.

 

 Also, she is not responsible for Renge and the others' deaths.

 

 That was why, although irritated, I'm holding on.

 

"----Suzuka-san. You can't talk like that, you know?"

 

 The one who said that sharply was Yuki, who was watching the situation closely.

 

 Yuki's eyes seemed to be lit up with a quiet anger, which was unusual for her.

 

"Renge-san and the others sacrificed themselves to let the Master escape. I don't think we should laugh at that."

 

 Suzuka looked at Yuki intently.

 

"Ah, you are finally one of the 'special' ones, aren't you? Ah~, I'm envious of you. Indeed, I am envious. Well, when that Zashiki child chose you? I knew it would happen so~medaaaay."

 

 Yes, she spit it out in an abhorrent manner.

 

What the? What is Suzuka saying?

 

 Yuki also seemed puzzled by Suzuka's words and behavior.

 

"Hey, Master~... Even though I appear like this, I really like you, you know?"

 

 Suzuka rubbed up against me as if clinging to me. A sensual fragrance that invites a man tickled my nostrils softly.

 

"Although you has a little talent for playing cards and have nothing special, the way you fight against the tide is ...... pathetic and beautiful."

 

 Suzuka's eyes were slightly moist as she said that, and she seemed to be tinged with heat.

 

"That's why... it's so painful to see you being swept away and ripped to shreds by the arrogance of those who are ...... so special."

 

 I couldn't move a muscle as I was enchanted by her eyes, which were filled with various emotions...... such as pity, compassion, and pleading for help.

 

 It was not due to some strange perception, like in the past, but to her own charm,.......

 

"Special ones always place high demands on the ordinary people around them, ...... because they can naturally handle those demands. Because for them, it's something they can do as a matter of course. Attracted by the light they radiate, ordinary people, no matter how hard they try to live up to it, will eventually be shaken out of it......."

 

 It was common to hear that those who are highly capable demand high standards from those around them.

 

 There was even a story of a company that turned black when a talented employee was made president.

 

 However, Suzuka's voice, with her beautiful eyebrows furrowed, seemed to be filled with her own real feelings, rather than such a generic statement.

 

 This is strange. Cards lose their memory every time they change masters' hands.......

 

 Perhaps she had once struggled under a 'special' master, only to be dismissed.

 

 Even though she had lost her memory, perhaps her feelings of that time are still stuck in her soul.

 

"Everyone has their own way of life. The way I see it, ...... right now is the very edge for Master. If you are satisfied here, just let it be and have a good time with me. Don't worry, I'll be with you until the very end."

 

“……………………………………………………”

 

 Suzuka seduced me with a flirtatious smile, but with a seriousness I had never seen before.

 

 Perhaps, in her own way, she was thinking of me when she said that.

 

 It's just that her direction was the exact opposite of that of Renge and the others.

 

 If Renge is the type who encourages the masters by giving thema pep talk, Suzuka is the type who puts on the brakes and keeps them so that they don't overdo it.

 

 It was up to each individual to decide which one they preferred.

 

 As for me, I honestly feel more comfortable with...... Suzuka's direction.

 

 I had always been an introvert and would rather choose the safe choice of neither success nor failure than taking on the challenge where either glory or doom awaits.

 

 Before becoming an adventurer, I thought it would be enough to have normal friends, go to school normally, go on to higher education or get a job normally, and if possible, go out with a girlfriend with big bosoms.

 

 I already earn enough money as a three-star adventurer, and I can earn a certain amount of respect. There was no need for me to push myself any further in terms of my livelihood.

 

 The lukewarm idea of maintaining my present life is very appealing.

 

But.

 

"Suzuka...... I understand where you're coming from. Honestly, I'm happy. But...I've decided that I want to try going as far as I can."

 

 According to Suzuka, I'm attracted to the light emitted by someone special, by Renge.

 

That's certainly true.

 

But after all, it is also my will.

 

 It is my own desire to see what lies ahead after walking with Renge and the others.

 

 Suzuka gazed into my eyes and ......

 

"........... Haa〜〜〜h"

 

 She sighed loudly.

 

"As expected, I'm not good enough, huh......?"

 

"......What?"

 

 I asked Suzuka, who looked seriously depressed, feeling a little guilty, but she asked me back softly with wet eyes,

 

"...What if I told you that if you choose me, I'll do a lot of naughty things with you?"

 

"!?!?"

 

Well... well, that's cheating!

 

 I was fuming. I don't know any women. I am a virgin. I've been living by hanging out with male friends and with my right hand as my lover. But I was more interested in the female body than others.

 

You should have told me those important points at the beginning! You're making all kinds of mistakes!

 

I think it's not fair when you're cool with it and then bring it up after I can't take it back!

 

"...Wha~t? I know you'll refuse. Anyway, I don't have the same charm as her~"

 

 Suzuka crossed her arms as if trying to hold her own with that statement. The voluptuous cleavage of her chest, which looked like two watermelons stuffed together, was emphasized, and my eyes were glued to her.

 

"We- well, I wonder about that."

 

 I mean, in that sense, it's extremely attractive. But now I couldn't even put my foot down despite the pulling.

 

......Won't you give me one more chance to negotiate with you? You see, even the wicked and evil king gave Melos2 one more chance. I'll even offer you the East-West duo as hostages if you like.

 

"......Master."

 

"Ha......!"

 

 ...Yuki was looking at us with a stunned look in her eyes!

 

Damn...I guess I have no choice but to back off for now.

 

"Ah, cough, ...Well then, Suzuka, I'm sorry, but could you please go look for clues about the missing person?"

 

"Yes, yes. Understood. I'm off then."

 

"Yeah, I'm counting on you."

 

 I saw Suzuka off as she lazily headed off on her search.

 

......Missed the big fish, huh?

 

 I was disappointed.

 

 

 

[Tips] Local Skills

 

 Local skills are special skills that can only be manifested by monsters in a specific region. In addition to Japanese ninjutsu, there are also Chinese hermetic arts and Norse rune magic.

 

 On the other hand, normal skills that can be acquired by all cards, such as elementary to advanced attack magic, are called global skills.

 

 Global skills are highly versatile, but tend to fit into a certain pattern, while local skills are less versatile, but tend to have distinctive qualities.

 

 Cards with local skills are also called ninja, kunoichi3, sennin4, etc., and are very popular.

 

 

 

***

 

Notes:

Onmoraki are bird-like monsters with black feathers, bright eyes that shine like lanterns, and a ghastly human face. They are skilled mimics, and shake their feathers as they give off their shrill, terrifying call. Onmoraki come from the bodies of the recently deceased.

From Japanese short story titled [Run, Melos!], which seems to be used in exams often.

Female shinobi or practitioner of ninjutsu

Sennin (Hermit, Sage, or Immortal) is a title that is associated with the beings who have trained a long time, granting them longevity, which includes powers of regeneration.

 


Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon! (Psst, go and check out the FREE trial on the first tier!)

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

 

Support Me