Tuesday, January 9, 2024

[LN] PAS : Volume 1 Chapter 5.1


Volume 1 Chapter 5.1

Autonomous Thinking Puppets, Sand Castles are Prone to Collapse Part 1



Translator : PolterGlast



Jin was running along the uneven mountain path, out of breath.

Compared to the average 15-year-old boys and girls, his physical strength was remarkably low, probably because he had lived away from physical exercise since his childhood.

He finished third from last among students of class 6 who participated in the physical exercise and received puzzled stares from the students waiting near the bus.

For the time being, he had to put on a nonchalant expression and pretend that he had been skipping physical exercises because they were silly.

 

"Jin-kun, are you all right? Did you get hurt somewhere?"

 

Emma, who probably finished first, gave him a worried look.

 

"A~, I'm fine, I'm fine. My psychic ability requires a lot of physical strength, and I wouldn't be able to handle it if I had to use all of my strength in this kind of training."

"Gosh, I was so worried, you know? But you're right, if a boy ran as fast as he could, he wouldn't be this slow."

"Of course. Even though I'm looking like this, I'm still pretty good at sports."

 

Jin went ahead and boarded the bus, feeling a little hurt.

Since there was still some time before departure time, there were few passengers on board ahead of him. Jin aimed for the last row while he still could.

 

"Oh dear, have you finally made it to the finish line? I thought you were stranded somewhere."

 

On his way to the last row, his accomplice, who had been hiding behind a seat, spoke to him while grinning.

Ignoring the provocation and taking the seat directly behind her, Nina turned around with a look of triumph on her face.

 

"Despite always being so confident, you have such a cute little weakness, huh?"

"......Weakness? What are you talking about?"

"You're not good at sports, are you? Look, I won't tell anyone, so why don't you be honest with me? This Onēsan will comfort you."

"I guess I've been misunderstood all this time."

 

Jin sounded deeply dismayed as he continued,

 

"We're not going to get a single point even if we come in first in this exercise. If that's the case, then it would be best to use them for preparation, no?"

"There you go playing tough again."

"It was a mistake, I ended up getting top grades in class during the <Ability Assessment> in the morning. Rudy-sensei was overdoing it. Leaving Nina aside, it's a little inconsistent for me to suddenly get a very high score after having participated in the <Screening Test>."

 

Nina also tried to recall her memories of this morning.

Rudy-sensei, whose weakness had been seized by the two, welcomed her into an empty training room with a large amount of cold sweat pouring out of his face.

 

"......Oh, I've been waiting for you, Nina-san! Please have a seat over here!"

 

After she sat down on a pipe chair in bewilderment, Rudy-sensei began to explain in a quick manner.

 

"Actually, I'd like to see you showing me your psychic abilities and check your growth in terms of output, new applications, etc., but I am very well aware of your capabilities! I will be responsible for giving you a good score. You can rest assured!"

 

Perhaps, he is usually using this kind of humble attitude to avoid the wrath of the debt collectors.

Nina could not help but be amazed at the refreshingly scummy attitude.

 

"Um, May I go now?"

"Ah, wait a minute! Please promise me you won't tell anyone about that incident......"

"I understand, so please don't get down on your knees. It’s outrageous."

 

Jin's skill in making such obedient [collaborators] after only an hour or so of negotiation is as frightening as ever. No, it's Rudy-sensei who has too many issues......

By the time she finished her not-so-pleasant recollections, a question came to her mind.

 

"......Huh? Does it have something to do with you being so slow?"

"Of course it is. If I make it look like using my psychic ability drains my physical strength tremendously, it won't look suspicious when my grades suddenly go up. I ran slowly on purpose to create that impression."

"Eh? You are lying, right? There's no way that's your real reason."

"Nobody could lie this smoothly. Besides, do you think someone who is really bad at sports could be so arrogant?"

"Hmm, indeed ....... Unless you set a new all-time record, there's no way you could be this arrogant ......"

 

There were still a lot of things she wanted to pursue, but she decided to drop the conversation as the other students were getting on the bus.

They could never let anyone know about their accomplice relationship.

 

Once back at the school, the students changed from their sportswear to their uniforms and were dismissed.

Jin and Nina also left the classroom building early and headed to the usual strategy meeting place.

The topic of discussion this time would be the <Practical Skill Exam> coming up this weekend.

 

"Currently, I have 94 points, which is still in the [C rank], according to the standard ranking system. Only the bottom five are eliminated each month, but ...... considering the number of people who have been eliminated due to <Dueling> in the past week, I'm not sure I'll be able to make it."

"Looks like you must not lose on the next <Practical Skill Exam> no matter what......"

 

This morning, Isabella, the instructor in charge of Class 6, announced the contents of the exam that would be held three days later.

The game was called <Chase Tag>, and the rules themselves were quite simple.

On a field the size of a gymnasium divided into two, obstacles made of pipes and wire mesh were placed. The basic concept of the game is to use these obstacles in a three-dimensional way to play a one-on-one game of tag. The players take turns playing tag three times, and the winner is the player who has the highest total number of seconds to escape.

There is a rule against destroying obstacles, but this is probably irrelevant to those who cannot use psychic abilities in the first place.

 

"The level of difficulty in this case is on a different order of magnitude from that of a <duel>, in which the students are free to do as they please. The instructor will be present to witness it."

"Can't we rely on Rudy-sensei again?"

"Impossible. The witness for the <Practical Exam> will be Isabella, the instructor in charge of our school year."

"Eh, what shall we do then? There's no way to cheat, is there?"

"Well, for me, as long as I can avoid dropping out in the early stages, that's all that matters. But Nina, you have to stay on top. If by any chance you lose to someone else, ...... ah, I'm afraid, I can't talk about it from here on out."

"Hey, stop it! Don't scare me!"

"Moreover, it's not enough for you to just win. You have to make them think that you have stupidly strong psychic abilities, and then you have to crush them completely."

"W-W-W-W-What should we do then? We can't even use gunpowder this time, can we?"

"All right, we'll just have to overcome them by acting!"

"I-Impossible! My acting isn't magic!"

"Ah, it's a complete dead end, then. What are your plans for your second life?"

"Wait, please don't give up on me so easily! Look closely and you'll see that I have a lot of good things to offer, too!"

 

Jin said in a tone that was almost choking with laughter.

 

"I'm just kidding. I have a plan ready for you."

 

Just as she was about to pat her chest and say, "Thank Goodness", Nina hurriedly came to her senses.

It reminded her of a certain fraudster who takes advantage of the weak and vulnerable, making people feel anxious to the limit and then offering a solution to reassure them.

She almost danced right on the palm of his hand.

After smiling lightly when he saw Nina's alarmed expression, Jin began to talk about his plan.

 

"It's a lottery match-up, Nina."

 

According to the information that Jin had obtained before enrolling, the pairings for these one-on-one games were decided by lottery. A box containing numbered plates would be prepared, and the two people who picked up the same number from the box would fight.

In other words, the pairings could be easily manipulated by picking out a plate in advance and pretending to pick that plate from the box on the day of the game.

 

"If the two of us are paired against each other, we can easily pull off any number of theatrical acts. All you have to do is pretend that you're using your psychokinesis to stop me."

"That sounds like a total dumb spectacle......"

"From the perspective of the person doing it, yes, but as long as it doesn't look suspicious to the instructor, that's all that matters. Oh, and I have to earn something for my labor too, so can you pretend that you're moderately having a hard time?"

"......I'll try, but..."

"Are you still worried about something?"

"How do you steal the plate in the first place? After the briefing was over, the teacher took that box back to the instructor's office, remember?"

"Oh, that's already taken care of."

 

Jin casually said so and tossed a circular white object to Nina.

When she looked closely at it, she saw that it was a plate with "14" written in the center.

 

"Eh, when did you get this?"

"Instructors are out of the office during lunch break, so the security in the instructor's office is lax. Not to mention important documents, it's easy enough for me to tamper with a box randomly placed on a desk."

"......Where did you develop such a bad habit?

"I told you one day. I was trained by the boss of a robbery gang. I wonder what he's up to now. I heard a rumor he escaped from the state prison."

"That's totally different from the story you told me before......"

 

Nina said with a sigh that he was as untrustworthy as ever, and turned to leave.

Although it would have been fine to dismiss the discussion as it was, Jin had something he needed to ask her.

 

"......Hey. Come to think of it, you've been hanging out with Bennett Lohr a lot lately, haven't you?"

 

He is a member of the same group as Nina who was exempted from the entrance exam, and is a very famous person who belongs to the neighboring class, Class 5.

Although not as famous as Nina, Bennett has been a well-known psychic since junior high school, and he is showing off his talents in this school as well.

It has only been two weeks since he enrolled at the school, and yet he is said to hold an absolute position in his class, and what is surprising is that a fan club has even been formed among the female students.

 

"Well, I've been interacting with him in some way since the entrance ceremony. Does it bother you that much?"

"I-It's not that I'm jealous or anything."

"Even if you said it in such a silly way......"

"I don't care what you do, but don't be overly relaxed and reveal our secrets to him."

"That's a baseless worry. He would never do such a foolish thing. He is a gentleman, and I trust him a lot more than I trust you."

"What are you saying? There is no one in the world as trustworthy as me."

"...... Can you do what you say at least once?"

 

With a look of utter dismay on her face, Nina left.

Jin bit his lower lip lightly as he watched her move away from him.

From the side, Bennett is clearly interested in Nina.

It is probably just camaraderie between upper-class individuals, but he can't rule out the possibility that there may be another purpose.

Let's investigate, just in case.......

Jin's character is such that he cannot simply ignore the suspicions that have arisen.

 

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

Aiden Elliott

Marvin Sanchez

Matthew Shuler

Swagaraga


[Gold]

Godman gaming


[Silver]

Adrian Betancourt

ArUnInAcTiOn

CoolmanMTD

Glasses Kun

Nazmun Saikat

Thiago Leite Denedai


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Ctdela

Curious Panda

Duncan Rodgers

Freyja Bjarnadóttir

Muzic Yasko


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----


<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>


Support Me