Monday, January 15, 2024

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 45

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #45

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

Episode 45 Chasing the Dead

 

 

 

 I switched my mind and started searching for the lead as well.

 

 Then, I came up with an idea.

 

That's right, let's try Yuki's [True Follower Summoning] while we're at it. 

 

 I take out a lycanthrope card from my pocket.

 

 I was torn between using this card as a money-saving measure for reviving the Lost cards, and using it to summon Yuki's summons.

 

 At first, I only thought of this card as something to sell.

 

 However, if I sold the lycanthrope, in order to use Yuki's [True Follower Summoning] I would have to go into the dungeon until it dropped again, or buy it from the guild at the regular price.

 

 In that case, I thought it would be better for the future to earn money for Eliza and the others revival through other means, even if it took some time.

 

 ...And above all else, the [True Follower Summoning] will definitely become a powerful tool in the battle against the Hound Master.

 

 However, I only have one piece to try here. I can buy a Zashikiwarashi card with the other one card along with my cash assets.

 

 Even if I sold both the two lycanthrope cards I had in hand, I would not be able to buy both a Zashikiwarashi and a female vampire cards.

 

 Eliza's resurrection was farther away, but it was still within the range of recoverable.

 

 So.

 

"Yuki, take this."

 

"! This is ...... Thank you very much. I will surely make it useful."

 

 Yuki saw the lycanthrope card I handed her and respectfully accepted it.

 

 Now, what is the process to make it her summon? In front of me who was watching......, she chewed up the card and swallowed it.

 

 I was surprised at this.

 

 Not only because she had eaten the card, but also because she had chewed up a card that no modern weapon could damage, except for Lost.

 

"......Okay. Master, there should be no problem. I can feel the power lodged securely within me."

 

"I see...then can you try it now?"

 

Yes!————Aoooooooooooooooooooo!"

 

 With Yuki's howl, a gate like the entrance to a dungeon appeared, and a figure appeared from behind it.

 

 It was an effect unique to vassal summoning, which was different from card summoning.

 

 If it had produced the same effect as the card summons, I won't be able to use it at MonColo.

 

 This way, if I used it in MonColo, they wouldn't think I was cheating.

 

 ......Well, I'm sure they would ask me what it means to be able tosummon a subordinate that has the same kind of race.

 

 Soon, when the light faded, there stood a young man with wild-looking black hair.

 

 Over 190 cm tall, with a well-trained body. He looked just like the illustration on the card.

 

 For some reason, the black-haired young man had a very aggressive look in his eyes, and was observing me with a glare.

 

"...Hmph. Are you the top of the pack?"

 

 The black-haired werewolf snorted when he saw me. Then he started talking while looking down on me.

 

"It seems I've been taken in by by that woman. But don't get me wrong. I have no intention of wagging my tail at someone weaker than me. If you want to borrow my strength... ”

 

 The black-haired werewolf's words stopped there.

 

 He did not actually shut up.

 

 It was because Yuki's toe was thrusted into the black-haired werewolf's solar plexus with tremendous force.

 

"UGHHHHHHH!"

 

 The black-haired werewolf, its body bent in a hunched position, was sent flying through the air, spewing blood and vomit.

 

 I looked up at that with a blank expression on my face, while Yuki looked at him with a stone-cold gaze.

 

 And then, as the black-haired werewolf plummeted to the ground with a thud,

 

"AUGGHH!"

 

 Yuki casually stomped on his head with her foot.

 

"Cough cough... y, you..."

 

"What?"

 

 Yuki's voice was as cold as ice.

 

 I had never seen her like that before, leaving me speechless.

 

Why are you, the lowest in this group, acting so big? Who do you think you are talking to?”

 

"Oooh......."

 

"Why don't you answer me? Don't tell me you're still too stupid to understand the difference in power at this stage?"

 

 Yuki's words began to be laced with genuine disappointment, and with it, the killing intent gradually intensified.

 

 The black-haired werewolf gulped his saliva.

 

"I-I'm sorry. I-I recognize you as the alpha and beta of the pack. I won't go against you anymore..."

 

 Yuki nodded.

 

"If you understand, that's fine. Now, I'll give you a temporary name. Your name is Kuro1. Do you like it?"

 

"O, okay."

 

"Good. Now, ......, get on with your search of the area. Dumbass."

 

"Understood……"

 

 The black-haired werewolf......, or Kuro, staggered his way to explore the area.

 

 Yuki watched him off with a cold look.

 

 I was completely frozen in the midst of this furious development, when Yuki turned around and bowed deeply to me.

 

"Master. I am truly sorry for my subordinate's rude behavior."

 

"...Eh? Ah, ah, no, you don't have to worry about it. I mean, uh? Why did you suddenly do that kind of violence...?"

 

 Yuki, who raised her head, began to speak in a clear, lively tone,

 

"Yes, of course it's for discipline! We don't need individuals who can't listen to the leader of the pack! If possible, I wanted to kill him once here and figure out if the subordinate could revive properly and how long it would take to revive him. I wanted to figure it out before the battle with that Hound Master, but considering the possibility of him not being able to revive, I decided against it for now.''

 

"I- I see...?"

 

 I nodded vaguely.

 

 Uh, no, that's not what I'm concerned about. It’s that her character is too different from the Yuki I've seen in the past,...... Hm? Could it be the effect of the rank-up?

 

 After Eliza also became a vampire, she began to prefer ritualistic conducts, so could Yuki be influenced by the card to which she was ranked up?

 

 I was alone in my confusion when Yuki made a startled face and bowed her head,

 

"Ah, I'm sorry! There was a possibility that Hound Master might attack us, I should have asked for the Master's permission before disciplining him. I'm afraid that such a dog would be no better than a wall of flesh...... I'm sorry for being so self-indulgent!"

 

"Ah, is that so...... it's fine already."

 

 That was when she gave up.

 

 Come to think of it, I hear that wolf-type creatures were very strict in their hierarchy.

 

 I decided to accept the fact that this may have been an unknown part of Yuki's personality that had not been exposed until now.

 

 Up until now, she had been under the control of me, the master of the group, so she had been discreet, but now that she had her own group, her strictness as a beast had come out into the open. Surely.

 

 Yuki was surprisingly harsh on defiant subordinates.

 

 I made sure to engrave this in my heart.

 

 After a while.

 

 I searched all over the area I was in charge of, but could find no clues.

 

 Since Yuki and the others, who had a wolf's sense of smell and were skilled in information gathering and ninjutsu, were unable to find anything, there must have been no clues in this area after all.

 

 With this judgment, we returned Kuro and headed for the meeting place, where Anna had just arrived.

 

 She must have had increased her manpower to search the area, as she was now also accompanied by the elf girl with whom we had fought before.

 

"Anna? How did it go?"

 

 She glanced at Suzuka, who looked bored, before she answered,

 

Well, it’s no good.…The fact that I searched with the help of an elf whose habitat is in the forest and couldn’t find anything means that there was nothing.”

 

"Same here."

 

 While they were talking like this, Yuki's keen senses told her that someone was approaching.

 

 I casually turned around to see if Oribe had come back, and I was startled.

 

 Anna's muffled scream can be heard from next to me.

 

 Oribe had returned and was accompanied by what appeared to be a female-like demon that was so ugly and decomposed that it was hard to believe that it belonged to this world... Yomotsushikome2.

 

 Her skin was dark reddish brown, like that of a decaying corpse, and her whole body was swollen, her hair had fallen out in places, and even the ancient-style clothing she wore was so ugly that it reminded one of peeling skin. ...... Her face was so disfigured and her nostrils were fully exposed, along with her eyeballs, which were discolored white, making it difficult to look at.

 

 A beat after her appearance, our noses were assaulted by a stench that was dozens of times stronger than the smell of rotten eggs. If you looked, you could see that the grass and vegetation had withered away and turned black with rapid decay where she had passed.

 

 It was as if she was a cursed entity from a certain movie that had passed through there.

 

 In fact, she was probably a cursed entity.

 

 This was Yomotsushikome, the strongest and most unpopular monster of D-rank.

 

 I saw one in the flesh for the first time, and it was very intense....... No wonder no one wants to own it, even though its power is on par with that of a C-rank monster, considering its abilities.

 

 Oribe, who could handle such a Yomotsushikome without any qualms, seemed to be quite a devoted horror lover.

 

"Sorry to keep you waiting."

 

"Ah, ah ....... So, did Oribe find any clues?"

 

"Well..."

 

 When I asked that question on behalf of Anna, who had gone rigid, Oribe pulled out a ziploc bag from her pocket. Inside... was an accessory that resembled a maze.

 

This was buried in the ground.”

 

Is this… an amulet of the Star Mother Association?”

 

 Anna said while trying her best to keep the ugly woman out of her sight.

 

 When she said this, I took a closer look at the accessory and realized that it had a design similar to that of the Star Mother Association, with a star in the center of the maze.

 

"Is this dropped by the culprit?"

 

"Not sure... it might have been dropped by the victim, or it might have been dropped by a completely different adventurer."

 

 Oribe shrugged her shoulders while saying so.

 

"For now, let's go to the place where it was found."

 

 I'd like to know in what way it was buried, and maybe we can find something else.

 

 We decided to go to the place where Oribe found the amulet.

 

"It was here. Right here, this thing was lying half buried in the ground."

 

 So saying, Oribe buried it so that only part of the amulet popped out of the ground while still in the ziploc.

 

 I crouched down and looked at it carefully.

 

 Rather than being buried there on purpose, it was more like a lost item had been stepped on and naturally covered with dirt.

 

 At the very least, it would be difficult to find this amulet unless one looked hard enough to find it.

 

 If it had been clearly buried, it could have been a dying message left by the victim, but at this rate it seems more likely that it was simply dropped.

 

 However, if the person who dropped it was the criminal, it would be the most important clue of all.......

 

 The question was, would the Hound Master who had been so careful to erase their own information be committing a crime while wearing accessories that were connected to them? I had my doubts.

 

 Well, if it were to be said that this was 'faith', then I guess that would be the end of the story.

 

 It was then,

 

"......Hm?"

 

 At the edge of my vision, I felt like I saw someone's figure, so I looked around.

 

What the hell? There should be no one here but us.

 

 Yuki and the others' senses also told them so.

 

"What's wrong, Senpai?"

 

"Uh, I just saw a shadow......."

 

"......?! No way, is it the Hound Master?!"

 

 Anna hurriedly looked around and.......

 

"............No, there doesn't seem to be anyone here, okay? Excuse me, but you must be imagining things."

 

"My card didn't respond to anything, either,......."

 

"Nn......, is it my imagination? I'm not sure.....! No, it's not! Just now!"

 

 I was at one point convinced by Anna and the others' words, but I got up in a rush when I caught sight of a figure again, this time clearly.

 

 The figure of a woman running away from this area.

 

 How could she have gotten so close, evading Yuki and the others' detection abilities?! She was definitely no ordinary person!

 

"Go after her!"

 

"What......? Uh, right."

 

"......?"

 

 I chased the woman's figure while being followed by Anna and the others, whose reactions were slow, as if they didn't see the fleeing woman.

 

 I should have been able to catch up soon, but...

 

"Damn it! We lost her!"

 

 It seemed that I was a little slow in following her, and the woman was no longer anywhere to be seen.

 

 It didn't look like her monster card was anywhere near her, but she might have it move on in some sort of emergency escape.

 

 He said he was chomping at the bit for having missed a promising lead.

 

"...! Again!"

 

 She appeared again as if to tease us.

 

 Again, she ran away on her own feet without using any card.

 

 But.......

 

“…………………………………………”

 

 When I saw her, this time I couldn't chase after her right away.

 

"Senpai? What's wrong?"

 

"......D- did you see?"

 

 I asked Anna, who was looking at me quizzically.

 

"Huh? What...?"

 

"......The woman's face just now."

 

"Huh? She ppeared again!? Then we have to chase after her right away!"

 

"No......."

 

"What's wrong? You look pale?"

 

 At the sound of Oribe's worried voice, I checked the quest information on my phone.

 

 There, I found a picture of Shoko Sato-san's face.

 

 A plain woman with black hair in a short bob and no makeup.

 

 ————The figure that ran away had the exact same face as Shoko Sato-san.

 

 

***



 Notes:

Means black

Yomotsu-shikome (黄泉醜女, lit. 'Ugly Woman of the Underworld'), in Japanese mythology, was a hag sent by the dead Izanami ( a deity) to pursue her husband Izanagi (also a deity), for shaming her by breaking promise not to see her in her decayed form in the Underworld (Yomi-no-kuni).

 



Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon! (Psst, go and check out the FREE trial on the first tier!)

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

 

Support Me