Monday, January 22, 2024

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 46

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #46

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

Episode 46: Chasing the Dead (2)

 

 

 

"A, anyway, let's go after her......!"

 

"Ah, um!"

 

 With a confused head, I managed to say that much and chase after the figure.

 

Why, did Shoko Sato-san...? She is alive? Come to think of it, no body was found. She is just missing. But why is she still here? Is she an associate of the criminal? Or is she cooperating with them under threat?

 

 Numerous questions filled my head.

 

 But even more questionable was her state.

 

 Even though she was being chased, she was not using her cards to escape, but instead was running away on her own feet.

 

 I thought she might be trying to lure us in, but her appearance was clearly desperate....... The face that she displayed as she looked back from time to time looked as if she was saying that she would die if she was caught.

 

 I was a little hesitant, but decided to take the initiative and call out to her.

 

"......Wait! Hear us out!"

 

......No good. No response. Perhaps she thinks that we are friends with the Hound Master?

 

"You're Shoko Sato, right!? We're adventurers on a missing person search quest! We are here to look for you!"

 

 I shouted at her, but she still did not respond.

 

 She occasionally glanced back at me with a look of horror on her face, and then ran away frantically with her legs, her speed gradually slowing down.

 

 No matter how you look at her, it doesn't seem like she was part of the Hound Master gang.

 

 Then she stumbled over a tree root and fell.

 

 For a moment, the possibility of a trap crossed my mind, but I decided that I should take the risk and catch her.

 

"You guys can wait here."

 

 Saying this, I approached her alone.

 

 But just as I was about to touch her.

 

"......! S, she's gone?"

 

 Shoko Sato-san disappeared, as if she was a haze or something.

 

Oh no! I knew it was some kind of skill trap!

 

 I immediately jumped back, but.......

 

".........................................?"

 

 ...... but nothing happened.

 

 That's strange ....... I inwardly scratch my head. I thought the enemy would attack me by surprise any minute......

 

 After a minute of vigilance, nothing happened, so I turned back to Anna and the others.

 

"Uh? What do you think this means?"

 

 But the girls just looked at me with a furtive glance and didn't answer anything.

 

 Eventually, Anna asked me with a confused and pale expression,going on?

 

“…Um, what… are you talking about?”

 

"What...?"

 

 This time, I was the one who was puzzled.

 

 We just found Shoko Sato-san to be alive, didn't we? No matter how you look at it, this was an abnormal situation. Even if she was an associate of the criminal, even if she was blackmailed into cooperating with them, she was still a strong lead.

 

 And also about the fact that she just disappeared right in front of us. If it was a trap, we would have to be on the lookout for an enemy attack.

 

 All of these were questionable..... but the girls' reactions were somehow dull.

 

 Anna said hesitantly,

 

"What were you ...... chasing and what were you ...... talking to earlier, Senpai?"

 

"Huh......?"

 

 A cold sensation ran down my back.

 

……Did Anna and the others... not see Shoko Sato-san?

 

Even though she clearly existed?

 

 

"Um, Master... there's a smell of blood coming from over there..."

 

"What……?"

 

 Yuki led the way, tracing the source of the smell.

 

 As I veered off the path and pushed through the vegetation...

 

"U......!"

 

"Hii......!"

 

"This is......!

 

 ---- there was a corpse, presumably that of a young woman.

 

 It was a miserable corpse that had probably been devoured by the dungeon's monsters and no longer retained its original form.

 

 Perhaps due to the dungeon's characteristic of distorting space and time, the corpse's decomposition has not progressed. However, on the contrary, it conveyed a 'fresh' sense of death to those who saw it.

 

 It was as if it was telling them that if they had been a few minutes earlier... she would have been saved,......

 

 If you were talking about grotesque, the stench and appearance of Yomotsushikome would be nastier.

 

 However, the 'death' of a fellow human, different from that of the monster cards, had a totally different impact on all of us.

 

 I couldn't move an inch in front of the corpse, Anna let out a faint scream and turned pale, and Oribe was looking at me with her eyes wide for some reason.

 

 And ...... the clothes the corpse was wearing were those of Shoko Sato-san, whom I had been chasing just a few minutes earlier, and the relatively undamaged face that was still intact on the head also proved that this was Shoko Sato-san herself.

 

"......Gh."

 

 When I became aware of this, it was a shock to me that I did not anticipate.

 

 It wasn't the fear of what could have happened to me if I had been a little less lucky.

 

 Certainly, there was that fear, too. Who wouldn't be horrified to see this scene and know that there was a good chance that you would have been one too?

 

 But what shocked me more than that was the fact that there were actually victims.

 

 It sounded bizarre, but even though I myself was attacked by the Hound Master, I didn't realize that many people were dead......, and that many people were being killed.

 

 I thought I understood that a lot of people were dying. However, it was information in the form of text.

 

 But now that I saw a dead body, I finally understood what the Hound Master had done.

 

 This was...... gruesome. Too gruesome.

 

 Before I knew it, I found myself clasping my hands together in prayer for her.

 

 Anna and the others followed suit and began praying for the peace of her soul.

 

 Right now, this was all I could do.

 

"So..."

 

 After a few minutes of silent prayer, Anna suddenly muttered,

 

"Is it correct to say that this person is Shoko Sato-san?"

 

"Probably. There is no information that there are any other people who have not returned from this dungeon..."

 

 When I said that, Anna looked at me in fear.

 

"If this person is Shoko Sato-san..."

 

"Hm......."

 

"Then ...... what on earth is the thing that Senpai saw earlier .....?"

 

"..................................."

 

 A quiet chill ran down my back.

 

 There was no doubt that this body is Shoko Sato, judging from the clothes she was wearing.

 

In other words, the thing I was chasing was not the living Shoko herself. ......

 

Also, there is no reason for the perpetrator to pinpoint her apparition only to me......

 

That means that thing was .......

 

 Anna said as she crept away from me,

 

"Honestly, is Senpai the kind of person who can 'see' that kind of thing,......?"

 

"N, no, that should, not be the case......."

 

 Since I was born, I had lived my life without any connection to spirits or anything like that.

 

 In the first place, I don't think that I have the ability to see spirits...I don't think I have such skills like a main character.

 

 But on the other hand, I could not deny the existence of ghost...... or souls.

 

 Because I had seen the souls of children who were once captured by the Pied Piper of Hamelin.

 

 You could think that that was just an effect of a skill. Considering what Renge said when she saw the children's corpses, "They're still trapped here," it should be a skill that utilizes the children's souls.

 

 However, I had never seen anything like that since then.

 

 If I had gained awareness of the existence of souls during the battle of Hamelin, and if my astral vision talent had been awakened, then it should have been possible for me to see them outside of the dungeon.

 

 I wonder, why it became visible at this time.......

 

 Besides, that thing from earlier was a bit strange to be called a ghost. It was not like she was talking about her regrets. It was more like she just replayed the past events of her life......

 

Probably, what Senpai saw was residual thoughts.”

 

 Oribe suddenly commented.

 

 When I turned to ask what she meant.....

 

"If the spirit was not talking to Senpai, but was repeating the behavior just before death, then it must be a residual thought. Senpai's eyes must have picked up on the victim's strong thoughts that were burned into the scene of the crime."

 

 As Oribe spoke so quickly, her eyes, unlike her usual stare, were wide open and shining brightly.

 

"Does spirits exist? This has not been scientifically proven, even now that ghost-type monsters have appeared. However, some of the cards of the Shinto and Buddhist types profess the existence of spirits, and some magic items allow communication with the dead. In other words, spirits do exist, then it is no surprise that there are ghosts!"

 

"S-Sayo, calm down..."

 

"How can I remain calm?!"

 

 Oribe stated as though biting Anna who was trying to calm her down.

 

 ......To be honest, it was a little scary.

 

"There are those who have communicated with the dead using magic items, but no one has ever seen a spirit in the flesh! There are plenty of self-proclaimed psychics out there, but my senpai is the real deal! After all, he discovered the body with his psychic ability! I never thought that a psychic was actually real this close to me......! It's amazing, it's too amazing!"

 

 Oribe was looking at me with flushed cheeks, as if she had met a celebrity she admired.

 

 Apparently, the ability to see spirits had struck a nerve in her strike zone as an occult lover and a chuunibyou sufferer.

 

 But to be honest, I was not happy at all. I would have preferred to be blind of them for the rest of my life.

 

"How did you awaken this ability, Senpai? Are you born with it? Or did you wander the borderline between life and death, and unfold your latent ability? Can you feel spiritual power? C- can you share it with me?!"

 

"N, no, even if you ask that..."

 

I have no idea how it happened, and if I could give it to you, I would.

 

 When I was flinching from Oribe's intensity, Anna, who couldn't stand it anymore, stepped in between us.

 

"Okay, okay, let's talk about that later, all right? It's not something we should be talking about here......."

 

"Right, right, right, we need to recover the body and belongings first. We can't let her like this."

 

"Hm... That's true, it's inappropriate. And her spirit is here, too......"

 

 When we mentioned that, Oribe meekly stepped back.

 

 I sighed at that, but suddenly paused.

 

......Who's going to pick this body up?

 

 I glimpsed at the corpse. The state of damage of the body, which had probably been devoured by beast-type monsters, was extremely severe, making it unbearable to look at directly. I was hesitant to even bring it into view, so I felt even more reluctant to touch it directly.

 

I'm sure I'll have to do it,...... I'm the only guy after all.

 

 But ...... frankly, I don't want to do it .......

 

 It might be appalling considering that I had just prayed for her soul... but this was a different story.

 

 No matter how much of an adventurer I am, I'm not used to human corpses.

 

 I had never seen a dead human body before, except for the corpses of the children of Hamelin.

 

 In other words, when it comes to this kind of thing, I am just a high school student, and there is no way that a mere high school student can take the initiative in recovering a corpse...... that has been savagely murdered.

 

 Moreover, I had just seen what seemed to be her ghost.

 

 When I thought about what would happen if I was cursed by touching a dead body, my fear slightly outweighed my sympathy for the victim.

 

 Ah, if only Eliza is here at a time like this...... At that moment I thought like that, suddenly, Oribe stepped forward.

 

"O, Oribe ......?"

 

Eh...... no way, don't tell me......?

 

 I looked at her expectantly, and she put on a pair of white gloves she had taken out of her pocket...

 

"Leave this to me. There are things I want to check out."

 

 She said this as if it was nothing.

 

Oh oh oh, sorry! Thank you! I'm sorry for being a pathetic senior!

 

 While I inwardly offer my heartfelt thanks, Oribe began to inspect the body.

 

"The condition of the body is terrible. ......This doesn't tell us whether the killer killed her or whether the monsters in this floor killed her. But if the criminal did kill her, surely they use the same cards as the monsters here,.......

 But... are there any signs of sexual assault? At least the criminal doesn't seem like a vile man in that sense. Or maybe it's a woman...?

 What's she carrying with her? Her license, wallet, and a commuter pass, and smartphone? This light clothing and the fact that she didn't even have a tear gas canister on her, she must have been very careless. Are they targeting beginners or those who are less cautious?

 The wallet contains ...... ten thousand yen bills? And a cash card with electronic money function. It doesn't seem like the culprit was simply motivated by money..."

 

 Oribe, while mumbling and muttering, quickly and efficiently collected the belongings.

 

 Finally, she instructed Yomotsushikome to place the body into a special bag he had prepared, then turned back to us.

 

"Phew...... it's done."

 

"Oh, oh! Good work. No, seriously, you really saved me...... so, did you find anything?"

 

"Yeah, I found a license and a phone. As I thought, it looks like the devices has been subjected to mechanical destruction. If it's just the phone, it will be doubtful, but as the license is also broken, it's definitely the work of gremlin."

 

"So, it's confirmed that the method is similar to the Hound Master."

 

 Is it now confirmed that the culprit used gremlin in the crime? In other words, it wasn't a coincidence that I was attacked by gremlins at that timing.

 

 If I had left at that time....... No, the Hound Master was clearly aiming at me. I would have been attacked sooner or later.

 

 In fact, if I had left at that time, the Hound Master would have been more wary of me and probably would have taken more precautions against me to attack.

 

 If that had happened, I would not have had time to use the [Transfer] magic card and I would have lost my life.

 

 In that light, it was probably a blessing in disguise that I was attacked at that time.......

 

"So, was there that thing you were talking about?"

 

'No,...... unfortunately there wasn't. Well, I didn't expect all the victims to have it from the beginning. In fact, it would be unnatural if they had it. Therefore, I thought that even if they had it, it would be only one out of a few."

 

"I..... see?"

 

 Anna tilted her head.

 

 What is the reason for the criminal to let the victim escape through the stairs? What thing could the victim have in their possession that not all victims would have ......?

 

What in the world is it......?

 

 Since she was not willing to tell us right now, we can't force her to tell us. ......She did the dirty work for me, too.

 

Now that we have recovered the body, shall we return to the surface?”

 

 There was a possibility that the Hound Master might attack us.

 

 It's better to talk about various things after we get settled down on the surface.

 

......Then again, what is all this psychic vision ability?

 

 I thought to myself as I headed towards the return gate on the bottom floor.

 

 Why did something that I couldn't see before become visible at this point in time?

 

Something like some talent that was sleeping inside me has blossomed....... is something unlikely. I know very well that I don't have that kind of special talent.

 

 If I have any such a protagonist quality, ...... I'd expect it to be something external.

 

External... If this is an ability that was given to me by someone on purpose... ......

 

What are they trying to tell me by showing me the spirits of the dead?

 

 I frequently recall the sight of Shoko Sato-san.

 

 She was running away. In other words, it became a certainty that she was not killed on the spot by the Hound Master after giving her cards, and that she indeed was let to escape up the stairs. However, what would they do if the victim happened to meet another adventurer and was protected?

 

 The fact that they destroyed her license and camera must mean that they wanted to erase any trace of themselves.

 

 Yet, why would they do something that could leave evidence in the form of the victim's testimony.....?

 

 These questions kept going around and around in my head.

 

 

 

[Tips] Subordinate Summoning

 

 A skill that summons monsters of a lower rank than the summoner. In most cases, a monster one rank lower is summoned, but some cards can summon monsters of the same rank or lower.

 

 There are two types of Subordinate Summoning: one is to summon a small number of monsters every fixed period of time without limit, and the other is to summon a large number of monsters at once, although the number is limited. Most of the types that can summon monsters of the same rank are the latter type.

 

 The summoned subordinates have lower combat power than their original race, have no skills other than inborn skills, and do not grow in combat power.

 

 

 

***

 

Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon! (Psst, go and check out the FREE trial on the first tier!)

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

Support Me