Monday, February 5, 2024

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 48

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #48

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

Episode 48: Objection!  

 

 


 It had been about two weeks since we started investigating the missing people.

 

 We had completed several quests since then, but there had been no significant clues, and the sought-after thing that Oribe was looking for had not been detected yet.

 

 The victims were of different genders and ages, and they did not necessarily share the same characteristics as Shoko Sato-san, being related to the Star Mother Association.

 

 The dungeons they dived and the types of duungeon they entered varied as well. The only thing I can say was that many of them were genuine newcomers who had registered as adventurers for less than a month......

 

 Some of them even went missing on their first attempt to conquer the dungeon.

 

 However, there seemed to be no doubt that they had been attacked by the Hound Master.

 

 Because, without exception, the victims had suffered the mechanical destruction.

 

 However, we had not been able to find out anything more, and it would take more time for Anna's connections to find out the route of purchase of the gremlins.

 

 Incidentally, in all of these investigations, I sighted their ghosts....., or rather, residual thoughts.

 

 Why did I suddenly awaken a psychic vision ability? Why do I only see the apparitions of the Hound Master's victims? Why can't I see them outside the dungeon......?

 

 The mystery only deepened, but now I decided to think positively that the investigation would go smoothly.

 

 So while I was spending time in a blur that I don't know whether I'm making progress or not.......

 

 The day of my MonColo game arrived.

 

 In the waiting room for the players, I was quietly staring at my cards.

 

 In the palm of my hand were Yuki, Suzuka, as well as the card of Mea, which was still a soul card.

 

 I sighed a little as I looked at Mea's faded gray card.

 

 If possible...... I wanted to revive Renge and the others at the same time.

 

 Using common sense, I know that it would be more logical to revive those who can be revived first.

 

 But I still wanted to revive them and welcome them back at the same time.

 

 However, three girl cards are required for a 'Catfight' match.

 

 I really needed one more girl card.

 

 But Anna seemed to have her own ideas about Renge and Eliza, and she was waiting for them to be revived. Therefore, in order to get into the match, I needed to revive Mea ahead of the rest of the girls.

 

 Then, a knock sounded in the room, and a staff member poked their head in.

 

"Kitagawa-san? It's almost time for your match, so please get ready."

 

"......Yes."

 

 I shook my head to shake off my hesitation and resurrected Mea's card.

 

 The card of Empusa for resurrection disappeared as if melting away, and Mea's card regained its color.

 

"Okay, let's go."

 

 And I left the waiting room.

 

The time has come tonight! Catfight, a battle limited to humanoid girl monsters! Pretty and beautiful girls kill each other brilliantly and cruelly! Who will be the most beautiful and powerful card?!

 Live reporting will be by myself, Yuya Sato. And the commentary will be provided by the well-known Makuro Toro.

 Now let's introduce the players! Consecutive wins since debut! You can't call him a rookie anymore! Here comes player Kitagawa!

 

 Accompanied by the emcee's voice, I slowly entered the venue.

 

 I could hear the cheers of the loyal fans from the previous matches and the booing of the few anti-fans that had formed so far, although they were few in number.

 

Next up, debuting this very night! He has a unique background, having left the workforce to become an adventurer in order to become a gladiator, and making his debut in MonColo after only six months! Here comes player Sunahara Taiyo!

 

......This is his debut match, huh? I'm sorry, but I can't afford to lose either, so my debut match will be marked by a loss...

 

 I was looking at the opponent's gate with this in mind when my eyes widened in shock at the sight of player Sunahara.

 

 The appearance of Sunahara was, in a word,...... pharaoh-like.

 

 His well-trained body was tanned, he was half-naked, wearing only gold jewelry and a waistcoat, with a Tutankhamun-style headdress on his head.

 

 The audience was suddenly abuzz at the sight of his bizarre attire.

 

 Although it was common for MonColo gladiators to dress up in cosplay-like outfits for the sake of creating their character, but it was the first time I had ever seen someone dress this flashily in their debut game.

 

Oh, oh~ oh~ This is a very spirited outfit by player Sunahara. Is this..... a cosplay of Pharaoh?

 

Yes... it looks like it. There are gladiators who make special costumes to match their cards, but this ...... is very high spirited.

 

 The emcee and the commentator were also a bit taken aback.

 

 Although he had the audience in shock, Sunahara himself had no shame whatsoever, with a confident and smug look on his face.

 

 He may be a good-looking guy if you look closely, but he probably possessed a regrettable personality on the inside.

 

Now then, let's get back on track and start the match! Both of you, please summon your cards!

 

 At the sound of the gong, I summoned Yuki, Suzuka, and lastly, Mea.

 

 The audience looked at the monsters I had summoned and buzzed in confusion.

 

Hmm?? On player Kitagawa's side, I don't see the usual zashiki-warashi and vampire!

 

It seems that the two new faces are a lycanthrope and a demon. Is he going to try a new combination? This is a bit unexpected since I thought that the zashiki-warashi was the core of the party.

 

Was there some kind of trouble? In any case, new girl cards are welcome!

 

 While the crowd was speculating on everything, I was staring at Mea.

 

 Mare appeared with the light, looked around her surroundings, and noticed us.

 

Master... this is...

 

It's MonColo. ...It's been almost two weeks since then.

 

Two weeks... What about Renge and the others?

 

They haven't, been able to revive yet.

 

 When Mea heard that, she looked down slightly.

 

I see... Hey, Master.

 

...... what's wrong?

 

I ...... will never be a burden again.

 

 The blue eyes with strong determination gazed intently at me.

 

 At the same time, the card in my hand shone.

 

 I don't have to look to know whose card it was: ...... Mea.

 

 The name of the newly engraved skill was [Knowledge of Survival].

 

 I looked at the skill and my eyes widened. It was a skill so well known that I didn't even have to look it up on the app to know what it was.

 

 Its effect was [Allows you to escape Lost with a small amount of life force left after sustaining near-death damage].

 

 It was said that the individuals who revived from the Lost rarely acquire this skill, but I never expected that ...... she would acquire it in a single shot. This was how deep her feelings were......

 

 I clutched the cards tightly and said,

 

Yeah ....... Me too, I won't let that happen to you again as well.

 

Nihihi! Well then, we have to win this match as well and earn enough money to resurrect that idiot and Eliza!

 

 I exchanged a smile with Mea and looked at the other player. For some reason, he had not yet summoned his cards and was watching us with a smile on his face.

 

Oh? For some reason, player Sunahara haven't summon any cards. What happened? What's going on?

 

 When the emcee said curiously, player Sunahara started talking to me,

 

“Fuffuffu. A sporty beautiful werewolf girl, a bewitching big-breasted demon girl, and a loli dream demon... They're really attractive girl monsters, but... that's it. They don't fit together!”

 

“......what?”

 

 I was puzzled by player Sunahara's sudden criticism of my party.

 

“If you just want to have cute girl monsters, anyone can do it! Come out! My servants!”

 

 Player Sunahara declared in high spirits as he summoned his cards.

 

 The first to appear was a C-rank monster, with the lower body of a lion, the upper body of a beautiful woman, and the wings of an eagle...... a Sphinx.

 

A, a C-rank card right off the bat,......!

 

 The next card was summoned in front of me as I braced myself.

 

 What appeared was...a beautiful dark-skinned girl wearing ancient Egyptian-style clothing. Cat ears grew on her head, and in her hands she held a shield and something that looked like a musical instrument that I had never seen before.

 

Could that be...... Bastet1?!

 

Th, this is bad. This is the second C-rank card.

 

 I was immediately overwhelmed by the number of C-rank cards, so I panicked for a moment, but quickly regained my composure.

 

No, it's still okay. Yuki has enough power to stand up to two C-rank cards if she makes full use of her skills.

 

To begin with, the average proportion of C-rank cards in a catfight is one or two. That's within my expectation.

 

 ...The moment I saw the next card, all of my confidence was blown away.

 

What…!?”

 

 The last card that player Sunahara summoned. She, was a beautiful young woman with dark skin who gave off an overwhelming presence.

 

This is ...... similar in quality to when ...... Renge became Kisshouten...

 

 While breaking out in a cold sweat at the obvious presence of a deity, I searched for the identity of the enemy—and before long, I had figured out who it was.

 

 That was because even before I became an adventurer, that card was a card I had always wanted to have someday.

 

 The first thing that caught my attention was her enormous bosom, which could not have been human. Those breasts were so full that they could not be described by the word 'bombshells', something that certainly would fit a cow. As if to prove it, the woman's ears were like those of a cow, and her head was adorned with cow horns.

 

 The Egyptian-style costume, the prominent chest that was characteristic of earth mother goddess, and the sun disk floating between the horns of the cow.......

 

 There was no doubt...... the enemy was Hathor2, a B-rank monster.

 

Kuu...... actually seeing it, not just awesome tits......, but also intimidating... Why would a newcomer get Hathor, which is quite expensive even for a B rank...? Oh, I'm jealous...!

 

No, no, that doesn't matter. The fact that there is one B-rank and two C-rank cards here and now is all that matters.

 

This is not good. This is too unfavorable .......

 

What player Sunahara summoned was an unexpected B-rank monster! It's Hathor! A very popular card with one of the best breasts among all girl monsters! The other two cards are both C-rank cards, Sphinx and Bastet! It's a high-ranked party, hard to believe it's of a newcomer!

 

Hmmm, this is a tough one player Kitagawa. I wonder if leaving out the zashiki-warashi backfired?

 

 The commentators were saying something, but I couldn't hear it all. The only thing I heard was the word 'breasts'.

 

 As I was so upset, player Sunahara laughed unkindly at me.

 

"Fuhu, what do you think about this Egyptian beautiful girls party? A girls party with no concept is nothing but a gathering of the rabble!"

 

 I reflexively objected to Sunahara.

 

"Objection! That is not an Egyptian party!"

 

"What?!"

 

 I pointed a finger at player Sunahara, who was obviously perturbed,

 

"Because..... that sphinx is not from Egypt, it's from Greece--!"

 

"Wha...t?"

 

 Player Sunahara's eyes widened in shock.

 

"The Egyptian version of the Sphinx has a human face with the body of a lion, whereas the Greek Sphinx has the body of a lion with the upper body of a beautiful woman and the wings of an eagle! That sphinx is the Greek sphinx! In other words, your party is not an Egyptian party!!!"

 

"N...... No way. Wasn't the sphinx only an Egyptian thing...?"

 

 Player Sunahara staggered back. I chuckled inwardly when I saw him like that.

 

Kukuku, get upset, get upset ......!

 

 I was desperate to increase my chances of winning. I didn't expect Sunahara to pull back his cards with this, but I was happy if I could create even the slightest opening.

 

Ohho? This is a sudden start of a tongue war! This is a rare sight at MonColo! Now then, what will player Sunahara say in response?!

 

 The emcee was stirring up the situation, but player Sunahara seemed to be more upset than expected, as his eyes swam and he didn't say anything back.

 

 The Sphinx turned to him and looked at him as if pleading,

 

"Ma, Master......, am I not allowed to be at this party?"

 

"...! No! That's not true! Player Kitagawa!"

 

 At the look in the Sphinx's eyes, player Sunahara recovered himself and glared back at me with renewed intensity.

 

"This Sphinx may not have its roots in Egypt, but as long as it's cute, that's fine!"

 

"Kh! T- that's..."

 

 I was prepared to argue with him if it was a half-baked excuse, but I couldn't say anything in response to his straightforward rebuttal.

 

 I was tempted to say, "You're the one who first said that mine are just cute and doesn’t fit together!" but I didn't say anything about that.

 

 This was because, for masters of girl monsters like us, it was an absolute truth that as long as they are cute, it's fine.

 

Oooh, player Kitagawa has completely been taken out of the argument heree! That's right, this is a catfight, a sacred place for girl monsters! As long as they are cute, that's all that matters!

 

 The audience applauded as the emcee said so.

 

 Player Sunahara bowed his head toward me.

 

"Player Kitagawa, I apologize for calling your party just cute at the beginning. If they are cute, that's all that matters. You made me realize that."

 

 There was no longer any hesitation in player Sunahara's eyes as he raised his head.

 

 ...I tried to make her upset, but I think I ended up settling him the opposite way.

 

 Or perhaps it was a schemer's trick.

 

 But I have not lost the match yet. I may have lost the battle, but I'm going to win the war.

 

"Let's go!"

 

 Player Sunahara's voice signaled the start of the battle.

 

***

 


Notes:

The ancient Egyptian goddess of cosmetics, cats, love, etc.

Ancient Egyptian deity of many realms: mother to Horus, god of the sky, and Ra, the sun god; as well as being the goddess of beauty (including cosmetics), sensuality, music, dancing, and maternity

 



Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon! (Psst, go and check out the FREE trial on the first tier!)

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

 

Support Me