Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 50

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #50

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

Episode 50: Allies, Neutrals, and Enemies

 

 

 

 School after the match.

 

 I was walking on the way to school, yawning.

 

 The battle with Sunahara-san was quite a fierce one, and even after resting all day yesterday, I still felt rather tired.

 

 As I was walking at a sluggish pace.......

 

"Hey, Shishou. Good morning."

 

"Oh~, Ono. Good morning."

 

 Ono tapped me on the shoulder from behind and we exchanged greetings.

 

"I saw that MonColo. It was interesting. ...How did you get that kunoichi?"

 

"That's a secret."

 

"What, so stingy! Well...... whatever. So, are you making any progress with the investigation?"

 

"No....."

 

 When I shook my head, Ono nodded and started rummaging through his bag.

 

“Just in case, I also investigated the incidents.”

 

 Ono handed me a stack of documents in a clear file.

 

 The dozens of loose-leaf sheets were filled with information such as names, ages, brief biographies, and social media posts of those who had gone missing in the dungeons.

 

"This is ......."

 

"Along with the list of missing people search quests, I looked through social media and other sites to find out about anybody I could find who said they knew someone who hadn't come back from F-rank dungeons. Not all of the missing people were put on quests. And the total number of supposed victims in this case, as far as I could tell, exceeded...... one hundred."

 

"One hundred......"

 

 I cannot help but gasp. The number of quests submitted in Tokyo was about a dozen or so, and including those that were not requested or were retracted, I had thought that the number did not exceed 30 people.

 

 But this number.......

 

"Could it be... that there are victims all over the country...... not just in Tokyo?"

 

"Yeah, so it seems. It was over a year ago that the first victims started appearing. Initially, it was not clear whether it was crimes or accidents, but the number of victims increased drastically about three months ago. Most of them are concentrated in the Kanto area.

 From around this time, it seems that there was a subtle rumor among adventurers who began to question the number of quests being sent out. By the way, the number of quests issued was about 30% of the total number of victims. Well, quests aren't free...... and from adventurers' standpoint, there is a strong element of volunteerism, so there is no guarantee that they will be accepted."

 

 Does this mean that there were more victims who were not made public than we thought...?

 

 But the fact that the death count reached three digits and there was still no information about the culprit made the case more of a bizarre phenomenon than a crime.

 

 The fact that the scale covered the whole country would suggest that this was most likely the work of a very large organization.

 

 However, if no tail of any kind had been grabbed in spite of this......, it would be more appropriate to think of it as a new kind of Irregular encounter.

 

Is what we're chasing... really human...?

 

"And...... here."

 

 Ono flipped through the clear file and opened a page with sticky notes.

 

 There was information on several adventurers. What made them different from the previous victims was their careers. They were all three-star adventurers.

 

"Due to the large number of victims, I thought that maybe there were victims not only in the F-rank dungeon, but also in other dungeon ranks, so I looked into it. I found no victims in the E-rank dungeons, but a few in the D-rank dungeons."

 

 ......In the D-rank dungeons, unlike the previous dungeons, the number of accidents goes up at once. In some cases, they may even die before they have time to send a distress signal.

 

 Therefore, at first glance, it was difficult to tell whether it was an accident or a victim of this case.

 

 However.......

 

“Disappearance in a D-rank dungeon is not at all unusual. But, if the adventurers lost all their cards and magic items, and their machinery gets destroyed, then the story changes... right?"

 

"Yeah."

 

 Cards that are registered to a master cease to exist when the master dies.

 

 Therefore, at first glance you would think that it is not unnatural for a deceased master to not have a single card... but actually it was not.

 

 This was because adventurers rarely register ownership of all the cards they obtained in their path.

 

 To register ownership of cards and magic items, they need their blood. The blood required may only be a drop or so, but few would be willing to poke themselves with a needle for a card they plan to part with soon, no matter how cheap a potion to heal them might be.

 

 As a result, dead adventurers often have completely unused cards with no registered ownership in their pockets.

 

 This particularly applied if the death occurred in a situation so stressful that a distress signal could not be sent.

 

 In addition to that, if the machinery or mechanical equipments had been destroyed in addition to no magic items, this was already a definite case.

 

 By the way, when I asked Ono how he was able to find out information that ordinary people could not like the missing cards and magic items, he explained that the source of the information was apparently a post on a social media account by the bereaved family, who claimed: "My dead son had no cards or magic items at all. The adventurer who found the body must have stolen them."

 

 The belongings of a three-star adventurer can be quite a family legacy. If there were no such items at all, the family would certainly have doubts, and they would suspect the finder and other adventurers. In some cases, this could lead to a trial, and if that were to happen, official records would most likely to remain.

 

I see now...

 

 I couldn't help but be impressed that there was a way to do this kind of investigation.

 

 However......

 

"So there really are victims even in D-rank dungeons......"

 

"After all, there were victims in the D-rank labyrinth as well. ......"

 

 This made it clear that there were other 'exceptions' who were attacked besides me.

 

 What I am curious about ...... is whether these victims also had special cards like Renge.

 

 Oribe deduced that the reason I was attacked was for 'something' that only I had. I thought of Renge.

 

 However, since there were other victims, it was not really Renge that the Hound Master was after in the first place, or maybe there were other cards that were special like Renge.

 

 Since I can't think of any reason other than Renge for me to be attacked, the reason would seem to be the latter. ...... So what kind of card would it be and how did the Hound Master know that someone held it?

 

 The mystery only deepened.

 

"...... Just in case, I also got the statistics on the age and gender of the victims, which may or may be meaningless. The most common age group was men in their 20s, but ...... this is a common age group among adventurers, so it doesn't tell us much. More than 80% of the victims are newcomers, so it seems clear that they are targeting newcomers. Most of the victims other than newcomers belong to adventurer’s circles, and it seems like they happened to be targeted while diving solo. Maybe it was when they had gotten used to the dungeon and decided to dive in alone."

 

"......Adventurer’s circle?"

 

 I was intrigued by the mention of the term, and flipped through the clear file.

 

 ...... Indeed, apart from the newcomers who have just registered, the only ones who had been attacked were those who were part of adventurer’s circles.

 

 But this is strange. If the victims other than the newcomers happened to be diving solo and were unfortunately targeted, it would be strange if there were no one else except the adventurer's circle in the pool of the targeted group.

 

 In other words, the culprit mainly target those who belong to adventurers' circles in addition to the newcomers.

 

Why is that?

 

 A flash of chills ran down my spine.

 

---- because it's easier to get a hold of their solo diving schedule.

 

The culprit is somehow finding out when the newcomers in the adventurer's circle will be out of the senior's supervision......!

 

"Ono,...... there's one thing I want you to look into."

 

"What?"

 

"Can you find out if the adventurer's circles of these victims had any connections with the Star Mother Association?"

 

 Ono grinned at my question.

 

"That's... an important point, isn't it?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"Okay! Leave it to me. It may take some time, but I'll look into it."

 

 How reliable. It was said that Ono knew all of our classmates' social media accounts, and was even feared as a cyber-stalker behind the scenes. But once you have him on your side, he is so dependable......

 

 I was really glad to have this guy on my side.

 

 As I approached the classroom while talking with Ono, I gradually felt something strange.

 

 I was gradually feeling a sense of discomfort.

 

 Unless I'm being overly self-conscious...... I felt that the students passing by were looking in our direction.

 

 Ever since I appeared in MonColo, I've become a bit of a celebrity within the school.

 

 Therefore, it was not unusual for people to stare at me, but I felt that their stares today were slightly different from the usual ones.

 

"......The atmosphere is a little strange."

 

 Ono whispered to me, thinking the same thing as I did.

 

 At that very moment, I bumped into a girl coming out of the women's restroom.

 

 A beautiful girl with a short blonde hair cut, tanned skin, a lot of makeup, and several piercings in one ear.

 

 She is Kaori Ichijo, the number two girl in our class.

 

 When our eyes met, Ichijo-san smiled and spoke to us,

 

"Yo~, Kitagawa, Ono. Good morning."

 

"Ah, ah, good morning."

 

 I returned the greeting, thinking, 'It's unusual for someone from the Shishido group to greet me.......'

 

"...... Good morning. What is this, how unusual for your side to greet us."

 

 Ono probably felt the same way, as he replied with a somewhat harsh tone.

 

"...Nothing? Even I say hello when we meet face to face, right? In fact, you are the one who usually avoid that, right?...Rather than that,"

 

 After Ichijo-san brushed Ono lightly, she turned around and smiled at me cheerfully,

 

"I saw MonColo. It's the first time I've seen Kitagawa fight, and you're really strong. Not bad."

 

"Huh? Ah, ah, thank you."

 

"So, do you want to go out sometime? Of course, just the two of us."

 

"Eh, what?"

 

 While I was puzzled by the sudden invitation, Ichijo-san took a step forward and closed the distance between us.

 

 She leaned forward slightly and looked up at me...

 

"Hm? What do you say......?"

 

 Right, she asked me in a whisper.

 

"Uh......."

 

 The soft smell of perfume tickled my nose, and my eyes couldn't help but be glued to her chest, which was boldly opened as if to reveal her deep cleavage.

 

Well, Ichijo-san's breasts are not as big as Ushikura-san's, but they are still big. .....Her thighs are also very full, and she have the kind of body that men like. ......W, wait, wait, wait, wait!

 

 I came to my senses. My crisis sensors were warning me that this was clearly a trap of some kind.

 

 Why would she, who had been in a loose antagonistic relationship with us at the top of the caste group, suddenly invite me out to hang out with her?

 

 Moreover, there had been no interaction between Ichijo-san and me up to this point. At best, we had only exchanged greetings when there was eye contact. Something was definitely unnatural.

 

"Um...it's kind of sudden."

 

"Is it? Well, that may be so. But I've always thought Kitagawa is kind of nice."

 

"Shishou is rich after all,"

 

 Ono said this playfully, but his eyes were not smiling.

 

"It's none of your business, Ono, so can't you just stay out of it? …So, what do you think?”

 

"Ah...sorry, I'm a little preoccupied right now."

 

 I bowed my head.

 

 The reason may be that I am wary of Ichijo-san, but it was not a lie to say that I am busy.

 

 I couldn't afford to go out with girls right now.

 

"Haa~...I see. Well, can't be helped."

 

 Upon hearing my refusal, Ichijo-san grumbled with a sigh.

 

 Seeing her who seemed to be really disappointed was unexpected, and I felt a slight sense of guilt.

 

"You know..."

 

“Let me just say this.”

 

 I was about to say something when Ichijo-san interrupted me,

 

"Truthfully, I don't really care about school caste. That idiot Shishido is a monkey, so it seems he can't stand it unless he's at the top of the mountain, but I guess it's fine as long as I have a good time. Actually, I also don't have as bad a relationship with Shinomiya as people may think. When we meet on the set, we sometimes talk normally. It's more like our friends are incompatible with each other, or something like that."

 

"........................"

 

 Ono and I looked at each other in surprise at the sudden confession.

 

"Well, that's my stance. Just understand that. Aah~, I'm sleepy ....... I'm going to the infirmary, so tell the teacher when she comes."

 

 After saying that, Ichijo-san left.

 

"What in the world was that about ......?"

 

"Dunno......?"

 

 We entered the classroom, still tilting our heads at Ichijo-san's words.

 

 *Fwip*, all of my classmates' eyes were on me at once.

 

 This in itself was the same as usual, but the problem was the type of gazes.

 

 Half of the gazes were curious, about 30% were concerned, and the last 20% were sneering...... and downright mocking.

 

 Unlike in the hallway, I could clearly discern the stares, perhaps because I was familiar with them.

 

 The concerned looks were from those who were close to the top caste group and the sneering looks were from those who were close to Shishido and his group.

 

 I frowned at the unusual atmosphere of the class, but at any rate, I headed toward the center of the classroom, exchanging greetings as usual.

 

 It seemed that the only people present were the half of the group: Shindo, and the others. There was no sign of Shinomiya-san or Ushikura-san.

 

"Morning." "Good morning."

 

"Good morning, Ono, Kitagawa. Sorry to start the morning like this.... but it appears that there's something not good going on."

 

 When we greeted him, Shindo said so with a worried look on his face and a hushed voice.

 

"...Did something happen? The atmosphere in the class is strange."

 

"Yeah, but it's not Ono, it's ....."

 

 I was the one Shindo looked at.

 

"...Did I do something wrong?"

 

"No, it's not that you did something, it's just that ......strange rumors have started circulating rapidly since the day before yesterday."

 

 Just as Shindo scratched his cheek awkwardly, a voice suddenly interrupted the conversation,

 

"Yo, Kitagawa!"

 

 The voice was full of confidence.

 

When I turned my head towards the voice, I saw the face I expected.

 

"Shishido..."

 

 His long hair was slicked back, and his eyes were constantly glaring at someone. 190 centimeters tall, with muscular arms peeking out from a shirt rolled up to the elbows as well as calluses on his knuckles...

 

 Shishido had a somewhat devious smile on his tough face.

 

"--You really lost that Zashikiwarashi~?"

 

 He asked.

 


***

 


Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon! (Psst, go and check out the FREE trial on the first tier!)

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

Support Me