Monday, February 26, 2024

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 51

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #51

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

Episode 51: Allies, Neutrals, and Enemies (2)

 

 

 

 The air in the classroom suddenly became tense as Shishido said these words in a voice that could be heard by those around him.

 

".....What is it, all of a sudden."

 

 When I replied, wondering why this guy would do that, Shishido bared his teeth as if he was having fun.

 

"You didn't use that Zashi-warashi and the Vampire in the latest MonColo, did you? And, since you haven't been updating your social media lately, there's a rumor going around that you might have Lost your cards due to your failure."

 

 He said that there were rumors ......, but perhaps it was Shishido and his team who actively spread the rumors themselves.

 

 Because if not, it was somewhat too fast for the rumors to spread all throughout the school.

 

 There was probably someone in their group who was checking my Twitter frequently and was wondering why there had been no information about Renge and the others recently.

 

 That, combined with their absence at the recent MonColo, must have convinced them.

 

".....Seeing your face, it seems that it's for real."

 

 Shishido looked at my face and grinned.

 

"The reason he didn't use the Zashiki-warashi or Vampire in the MonColo match was to test out his new Lycanthrope, and the reason he haven't been updating his social media is because he have been busy with training. Don't get any twisted ideas."

 

"It's none of your business, so keep your mouth shut. So, what's going on?"

 

 Ono looked at me who was silent and said so as if defending me, but Shishido kicked him off easily and asked me that.

 

 I took a quick look around and saw that the whole class was paying attention to us, and no matter how I looked at it, it was not a situation in which I could refuse to answer.

 

 I gave a small sigh and answered,

 

"......Yeah, I did indeed Lost Renge and the others."

 

"Shishou......!"

 

 Ono looked at me with a stern look on his face like asking why I was saying this, but I originally had no intention of making any excuses about it.

 

 I didn't intend to actively talk about it, but I also didn't intend to pretend that I didn't receive the devotion of those girls who risked their lives to help me escape.

 

 --*Murmur*

 

 With my direct confirmation, the classroom was abuzz. Some of them even took out their smartphones and posted it on their socials. I guess this news will be known all over the school tomorrow.

 

"Haha! Seriously? A~ah, you were so excited about being a MonColo player and all, but now it's all over for you."

 

"Why is that so? It doesn't change the fact that Shishou is a three-star adventurer, and there's also that Lycanthrope, who played well in the recent MonColo, and you guys saw how he beat a guy with a B-rank card, right?"

 

 When Ono countered Shishido's ridicule of me, an attitude of  "That's true....." began to spread in the class.

 

 However, Shishido snorted and retorted calmly.

 

"Well, you may be right about being a three-star adventurer. But as a MonColo player, he's finished. The only reason he was invited to MonColo was because of the impact of that Zashiki-warashi. If they find out he Lost that, he won't be invited anymore, you know~."

 

 ......Actually, this was true.

 

 I managed to win the match, but after that match, the program told me, "Next time, please use the Zashiki-warashi."

 

 That implicitly suggested that the value as a player in MonColo lay not with me, but with Renge.

 

 It was clear that I would not be invited back to the show if I was found out that I had Lost that Renge.

 

"After all, Kitagawa himself doesn't have any special charms."

 

"......That Zashiki-warashi and that Vampire are both named cards, and even if they are Lost, they can be revived at some point."

 

"How much money and time will it take to revive them? And that Lycanthrope. He must have invested a lot of money to get that thing. He will have to earn money from scratch to revive that Zashiki-warashi. How long will it take? Six months? A year? I don't think the program will wait until then."

 

"............"

 

 Ono grimaced and fell silent.

 

 In fact, since I haven't spent a single penny to raise Yuki's rank, even with my current assets, I can manage to revive only Renge.

 

 But I can't explain that here, and what matters now was that Shishido was more convincing.

 

 The income of a typical three-star adventurer is said to be in the range of 20 to 40 million yen. Naturally, the actual income itself would be much lower as card expenses would be deducted here, but the income from the dungeon and other sources would be about this much.

 

 I earned 35 million yen in six months from magic stones and cash alone, but this was largely due to the high income source from MonColo, as well as being able to go through the dungeons as much as a full-time professional even as a student thanks to Hamelin's flute, and most importantly, the increased drop rate because of Renge.

 

 In other words, if you think about it with common sense, it would take a year to revive Renge.

 

 I'm still a three-star adventurer, and I showed a new force at the recent MonColo, Yuki, so it's not like I'm falling down the class caste, but at least I would lose my influence due to the loss of my title as a MonColo player.

 

 ......But that doesn't make it any more of a victory for Shishido at this point.

 

 The fact that my influence will diminish doesn't mean that Shishido's own popularity will increase.

 

 He may be tall, athletic, and good-looking, and that may be enough for the girls, but for the boys, he was just the top gangster in the school.

 

 There were quite a few of his haters in my class, and even if he put me down, he wouldn't be able to pull anything in the class caste order......

 

 While I was wondering about this, Shishido grinned.

 

"I'm an adventurer now too, Kitagawa."

 

"!!!!"

 

"I'm going to get up to two stars soon, and I plan to catch up to three stars by the end of this year."

 

 I see. So this is the source of Shishido's confidence.

 

 After seeing that even me and Ono have reached two or three stars, he must have thought he could easily reach that level as well.

 

He....... looks down on adventurers.

 

 Well, at first I thought it would be easy to become a three-star, so I can't say much about others, but now that I know the reality, I can't help but think that he is looking down at it.

 

 I would normally say, "Do it if you can," but now is indeed too bad a time to say it...

 

 My eyes met with Ono's. Don't bother, he said, shaking his head slightly. ...Certainly, I don't think he'll listen if I tell him...but I can't help but give him some advice.

 

"Shishido."

 

"Ah?"

 

"Don't do it now. It's not the right time. The number of new adventurers who haven't returned has increased dramatically recently."

 

"Pfft! Hahahahaha!"

 

 Shishido burst out laughing as if he couldn't take it anymore. Shishido's cronies also erupted into a fit of laughter.

 

 At that, some of the other neutral classmates also started giggling.

 

 Sweat began to break out on my skin as I feel the clinging malice of humans, which was different from the murderous intent of monsters.......

 

 Out of the corner of my eye, Ono sighed with his head in his hand.

 

"This guy, you're too desperate, ahahaha! You're that bothered if I become an adventurer?!"

 

"It's not like that. Don't dive into the dungeon especially if you are alone. Even on the news--"

 

"Ah~, come on already, enough. ......You're finished like this."

 

 Finally, he spat that in a condescending manner, and Shishido and his group left.

 

  After that, the other classmates also dispersed. As they were dispersing, I heard a few voices saying "Lame......," "I'm disillusioned~," and "Thus is the end of Kitagawa."

 

 Only the classmates on my side, such as Shindo, said, "Cheer up, it's okay, you'll figure it out even if your card is Lost," "I felt bad, don't bother," "I saw the news too, I know you were really worried. I understand," they gave words of encouragement.

 

 I was grateful for these heartwarming words, but I could feel firsthand that my position in the school caste was going down.

 

 Finally, Ono called out to me in exasperation.

 

"Shishou ......, don't be too soft-hearted. You knew this would happen if you told him, didn't you?"

 

"Ono...but I can't afford not to advise him."

 

"Well, ...... it won't make any difference whether you say it or not, so it would be wiser not to say it."

 

"........................"

 

 Indeed, Ono was right. In fact, my advice had increased the possibility that Shishido will become rebellious and not hold back even if he learns the information about the missing people.

 

 Ono saw me go silent and patted me on the shoulder.

 

"......Well, that makes you more likeable as a person, though. So, I'll take care of the follow up, and you can concentrate on finding the culprit."

 

"Ono......"

 

 Such a good guy...... I was secretly moved by how wonderful he was.

 

"Besides, the more you go down, the better your reputation will be when Shishou catches the culprit. Then my reputation will also go up because I assisted in the investigation and didn't leave you when you were in trouble."

 

"Ono......"

 

 This guy, he really doesn't lose sight.......

 

 But, well, that's exactly how Ono is, I guess.

 

 There, the door rattled open and Shinomiya-san and Ushikura-san came in.

 

"Good morning." "Good morning."

 

"Good morning~. Ah, Maro, I want to talk to you about something... hm? Did something happen....?"

 

 Shinomiya-san was about to start talking about something, but she tilted her head as if she had noticed a difference in the atmosphere in the classroom.

 

"Ah, just a little something. Ypu need something from me?"

 

"Mm......"

 

 When I asked her that, for some reason, she seemed a little stumped and mumbled. Ushikura-san said as she pulled her sleeve,

 

“Kaede-chan, I think it would be best to consult it properly.”

 

"Un, but it seems like he has been busy lately..."

 

 I don't know what it is, but .......

 

"If you have any concerns, I'm here."

 

 When I said that, a voice rose from the Shishido group who were sitting far away,

 

"You should stop consulting with him! He's the kind of guy who would Lost his core team!"

 

"Hahahahaha!"

 

"Tsk! You're a pain in the ass, you know that? Don't butt in on people's conversations!"

 

 Shinomiya-san and Ushikura-san, who heard this exchange between Shishido's group and Ono, looked at me in surprise.

 

"What, you Lost your core team, for real?"

 

"Is that Renge-chan and the others?"

 

"Ah...yeah."

 

 When the two of them saw me nod awkwardly, they looked at each other and whispered.

 

"W, what should I do, Shizuka..."

 

“B, but it would be better to consult.”

 

"No, but still... No matter how you look at it, this is probably the toughest time for Marocchi..."

 

"That may be true, but..."

 

 I couldn't hear their voices very well, but I felt a bad feeling from their serious faces, and when I tried to speak to them,

 

"Un, after I think about it, it's nothing. Don't worry!"

 

 Shinomiya-san turned around and said so.

 

 But, of course, no one would be stupid enough to think, "Oh, I see."

 

"No, of course it's not nothing. Don't hesitate to tell me."

 

"No, it's really nothing. Or rather, I've decided not to talk about it. That's fine with you too, right, Shizuka?"

 

"Well...... then......"

 

 Ushikura-san nodded worriedly, but also somewhat assuredly.

 

 My guess was that Shinomiya-san was about to do something risky and Ushikura-san was worried about that.

 

Is that why they were late getting to school?

 

 I would have liked to ask a little more in depth, but it is hard to pry when they say that they decided to stop talking about it......

 

 As I wavered, Shinomiya-san moved away from there.

 

 While Shinomiya-san was like that, Ushikura-san approached me.

 

"......Hey, are you planning to get together with the girls from the Adventurer's Club today as well?"

 

"Eh?"

 

"You always get together at the family restaurant, don't you?"

 

 I was a little surprised that she had been watching me,......, and for some reason, I slipped out some kinda explanation,

 

"Ah, no, that, we were just having a strategy meeting about our future activities."

 

"Un, that's fine. Are you gathering again today?"

 

 But Ushikura-san coolly went through it and asked with a serious expression on her face.

 

"Oh, yeah, we are planning to do that..."

 

"I see. ....... Is that going to be held until pretty late?"

 

"Hmm...let's see. We might stay until quite late today."

 

 I answered so, thinking that I wanted to show Anna and Oribe the materials I received from Ono.

 

"I see. ......Thanks."

 

 Ushikura-san left with a relieved look on her face.

 

 I watched her go and tilted my head, wondering what exactly is going on.

 

 

 

 

[Tips] Income of Amateur Adventurers by Rank

 

 The general income (per year) for each rank of adventurer is as follows:

One-star: several hundred thousand yen to around two million yen.

Two stars: several hundred thousand yen to more than 10 million yen.

Three-stars: from 20 million yen to around 40 million yen.

 

 The income of a one-star is that of an enjoyer. Most of them are university students or salaried workers with main jobs, and being an adventurer is just a side job, a little exercise on weekends. Those who want to earn serious money quickly move up the ranks to two-star.

 

 From the two-stars level, there will be a mix of enjoyers, full-timers, and aspiring professionals. The full-timers are those who have lost heart to go another level when they have reached the two-stars level, but are still making 4 to 6 million yen a year and live by conquering a few dungeons a month. Their main battleground is the F-rank dungeons.

 It is not unusual for aspiring professionals to earn more than 10 million yen a year, but most of that money is used to invest in getting to the three-stars level, so the income itself is low. Unlike full-timers whose main battlefield is the F-rank dungeons, they actively dive into the E-rank dungeon. So the rate of consumption of D-rank cards is high, and the chance of encountering Irregular Encounters also increases, resulting in a high mortality rate.

 

 Three-stars. There are zero enjoyers. All of them aspire to be professionals or are full-time. The reason why their income is less than half that of Utamaro, who is a student, despite the fact that they stay overnight and dive in the dungeon every day, is because they form a team of several people and do not have the blessing of the increased drop rate by Renge.

 


***

 


Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon! (Psst, go and check out the FREE trial on the first tier!)

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

Support Me