Monday, April 29, 2024

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 60

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #60

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 


 

Episode 60: What Lies Beyond the Door

 

 


 

 We were absolutely stunned by Renge's words.

 

 .....Irregular, Encounter? That's absurd.

 

 Was a takeover of this dungeon taking place at this point in time?

 

 Although it is common for humans to enter a place where Irregular Encounters lie in wait, I have never heard of a case where an adventurer was already at the lowest floor of the dungeon and the dungeon was taken over.

 

 Or perhaps it was just that it had never been reported before because the adventurers were killed...... But there was no doubt that this was indeed an irregularity.

 

 Teacher shouted,

 

"It's coming!"

 

 In our line of sight, the restrained Hellhound was swallowed by a spatial distortion and vanished.

 

 ......No, no. It was not swallowed by the spatial distortion. The spatial distortion was generated from the Hellhound.

 

 What appeared to replace the vanished Hellhound was a wounded Anubis and a...... young woman.

 

Human ......? Wasn't it an Irregular Encounter? No, more importantly ......

 

 A doll-like face. Eyes as red as blood. And ...... too white skin and hair peculiar to albinos.

 

 The woman who appeared was—— the saintess of the Star Mother Association.

 

 This woman, is a hound monster user. Was the culprit, after all, the Star Mother Association? No, the Hound Master possessed a magical item that can change one's appearance. That is not necessarily correct.

 

 The woman with the same face as the saintess glared at me reproachfully and clicked her tongue.

 

“......Tsk, so there's an ambush here too."

 

 Then, an alarm sounded from our licenses. Rescue call alarm. It was my Teacher who sent it out.

 

"......Just now, I have sent a rescue call to the surface. On the surface, police officers have sealed off the Dungeon Mart. Other analogous dungeons have been blockaded by adventurers. Resistance is futile. Surrender quietly."

 

"I see...you knew that much. Well, of course, if it is repeated this many times, even an idiot will notice."

 

 The Hound Master mockingly replied this way. I could sense an emotion similar to resignation from that attitude.

 

 ......Was she prepared that she would be caught someday? If so, why didn't she stop committing the crime.....?

 

 The Hound Master was perfect in the concealment of her information. If she wanted to go underground, she could have done so anytime she wanted to.

 

 So, why ......?

 

 At that moment, Renge whispered to me over the Link,

 

Utamaro, be careful. This one seems to be an Irregular Encounter.

 

What? Is she not human?

 

No...... a human, I think. But there are signs of an Irregular Encounter... honestly, it's creepy.

 

 As we were looking at her, the Hound Master said with a somewhat weary air,

 

 "Hu... so this is it... but the objective has largely been accomplished."

 

 Then she turned to Anubis, who was covered in wounds.

 

"You've been working hard so far... Anubis. --Sacrifice."

 

 Just as the Hound Master said this, *Crack* The sound of a card being lost was heard.

 

"May luck, be, with you......."

 

 Anubis' body crumbled away like sand.

 

What, the ......? Did she just, let her card kill himself? Why, in the world.....?

 

 We were unable to move due to the baffling behavior.

 

 ————Thump!

 

 The space pulsated.

 

"......Gah?! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

 

 The Hound Master screamed out.

 

 Her body was being eroded by a reddish-black shadow.

 

 Eventually, after her entire body was completely consumed, it overflowed from her body and began to invade even the space around her.

 

"Run!"

 

 I don't know who said it, but we all started running away from the shadows at the same time.

 

 But the speed at which the mysterious shadow was eroding was far too fast for us to escape.

 

 In the blink of an eye, we were swallowed by the shadows and ---- the world was repainted.

 

"Where, is......."

 

 The next thing I knew, we were standing in an old Western-style building out of the forest.

 

 At the entrance hall...... I guess? The front door was large and solid, and at the back was a pair of curved stairs leading to the second floor. Sandwiched between the stairs was a large pendulum clock that reached the ceiling of the second floor.

 

"S- Senpai, what exactly happened? The Hound Master...?"

 

 Anna asked frightfully.

 

"I don't know......."

 

 When I shook my head, Renge said with a grim look on her face,

 

"It's an Irregular Encounter. Be careful, this is already ...... their garden."

 

 After all, ......it's like that, huh? They are the only ones I can think of that can rewrite the field.

 

 But .......

 

"Does that mean... the Hound Master summoned an Irregular Encounter?"

 

"I...... have never heard of such thing as a card for Irregular Encounters. They shouldn't drop cards."

 

 At my words, Anna shook her head with a pale face.

 

 But, unbelievable as it may seem, it was the only thing I can think of.

 

 Renge said that she felt the hints of Irregular Encounters from the Hound Master. The Hound Master was transferred as if replacing the original dungeon boss, the Hellhound. And then there was the rewriting of the field.......

 

 None of these were things that ordinary cards could do, and they were straight out of the characteristics of Irregular Encounters.

 

".....No good, huh? It seems that none of the teleportation-based magic cards can be used. And the rescue call is also......."

 

 Oribe, who seemed to have been trying various things, shook her head.

 

 ......Confirmed, huh?

 

"...But even if it's an Irregular Encounter, this is an F-rank dungeon, so this is not a big problem,......, right?"

 

 Anna pinched the sleeve of my clothes as if seeking my nod as she asked me that question.

 

 Certainly, normally speaking, even Irregular Encounters would only have a combat power equivalent to E-rank in this place and should not be an issue for us right now.......

 

 I silently took out Eliza and Mea's cards and summoned them.

 

 ......The summons, I was able to do it.

 

""Huh?!""

 

 Anna and the others who saw this hurriedly began to summon their respective cards.

 

 As a result, it was confirmed that a maximum of eight cards could be summoned.

 

 Eight monster cards...... meaning that the limit on the number of cards that can be summoned was equivalent to that of a C-rank dungeon.

 

"H- how come ...... this is supposed to be an F-rank dungeon."

 

 My Teacher answered Anna's question,

 

"Perhaps the Irregular Encounter card that the Hound Master got was B-rank. ...Or maybe there's some significance behind Anubis destroying itself just before."

 

 Anubis is a B-rank monster. The fact that this place was equivalent to a C-rank dungeon suggests that the enemy was likely to have the same combat power as a B-rank monster. At least, the ranks match up.

 

 Plus, there was the last word that the hound master said: ...... Sacrifice. Sacrifice, huh? I don't think it's irrelevant.

 

"So? What are we going to do now?"

 

 There, Renge, who had been silently watching the development, inquired to me.

 

What to do, huh……. Since this is within Irregular Encounter territory, the only way to escape is to defeat the enemy...

 

"We should wait for reinforcements here. Defeating a B-rank Irregular Encounter is indeed a tough task for us right now. Fortunately, we have already sent a rescue call. My sister is probably on her way here, and we can expect reinforcements from other adventurers in the area."

 

 We nodded our heads in agreement at my Teacher's words.

 

 It was true that you cannot send a rescue request on a normal Irregular Encounter, but we had already sent a rescue request.

 

 There was no need to force ourselves to defeat the enemy here.

 

 Just when we were starting to feel a sense of relief, we heard it,

 

 ----Bam! Bam-bam-bam!

 

 Suddenly, knocks resounded from the front door.

 

 As we stared with bated breath, the knocker shouted out to us,

 

"Excuse me! Can you please open this door?! I'm being chased!"

 

 We looked at each other.

 

 The owner of the voice seemed to be a young woman. The voice conveyed feelings of impatience and fear. The manner in which she was speaking was so earnest that it was hard to believe that she was lying or acting...... but the timing of her appearance was indeed too unnatural.

 

 When I was wondering if I should answer.......

 

".....I'm sorry, but who are you?"

 

 Oribe asked.

 

...... Are you going to have a conversation? No, but there is a possibility that the owner of the voice is a well-intentioned rescuer who came to help us.

 

 The professional adventurers may not be able to make haste from their spot in the analogous dungeons, but at least the team can send some three-star adventurers of their team immediately to provide help here.

 

 Maybe such a three-star adventurer was attacked by the Irregular Encounter and fled to this Western-style house. Such a possibility was not zero.

 

 The owner of the voice answered,

 

"--I am Shoko Sato! When I came to the lowest floor, I was suddenly attacked by a strange card!"

 

 ... ! ?

 

 I felt my blood run cold.

 

 There was someone on the other side of the door, who was pretending to be somebody who had died.

 

 It can't be her. I know that. But there was only the eeriness of the unknown ...... why this impostor was pretending to be the dead person.

 

 The person who pretended to be Shoko Sato kept knocking on the door.

 

"Please, please! Please help me! Why won't you open the door?! Open it! Please open the door! I'm going to be killed!"

 

 The cries for help gradually turned into words of resentment when the door was not opened at all.

 

"I don't want to die! Help me! Ahhhh! Open the door! Hey! I know you can hear me! You bastard! I will not forgive you! I’ll curse you!" 

 

 A resentful voice pounded on our chests along with the sound of a banging on the door.

 

 Even though we told ourselves it was a trap, that it was fake, it still ate away at our spirits.

 

".....Hii! N, no! Please, open up, open up, open up! Gaaaahhhh!"

 

 The voice and the desperate scream receded.

 

 Silence returned. A chilling silence.

 

 Eventually, Anna muttered, as if talking to herself,

 

"That wasn't her real spirit...... or something like that, was it?"

 

 No one could answer.

 

 That desperation was too real to say it was fake.

 

 There was no doubt that it was a trap. But, Irregular Encounters can use the souls of those they kill. I know this from my battle with the Pied Piper of Hamelin.

 

 Considering that, that one was.......

 

 ————Bang bang bang!

 

 Again, there was a banging on the door. My heart jumped with a sense of foreboding.

 

"Is anyone there?! Open the door! I'm being chased!"

 

 This time, it was the voice of a young man. The voice sounded familiar, and I couldn't help but mumble,

 

"Shishi, dou ......?"

 

"...... Kitagawa?! Is it Kitagawa?! Oh, thank God! Please open up!"

 

 A frightened voice, something unimaginable from Shishido who was always confident and strong.

 

 Shishido was indeed dead. We also confirmed his body. But ......

 

 I was about to take a step forward at the sound of my classmate's voice when my Teacher grabbed my arm with a firm grip.

 

"Don't open it! I've discovered the enemy's true identity. This enemy's fairy tale is ...... The Wolf and the Seven Young Goats!"

 

 My eyes widened.

 

 My brain started to connect the dots.

 

 The ability to enter other dungeons. The ability to transform. The ability to cheat the gate's entry and exit controls. The Anubis sacrifice. The preference of Hound Master who, for some reason, used only dog-related cards...

 

 The Wolf and the Seven Young Goats was a story about a wolf trying to trick the young goats into entering a house by using deception.

 

 If, as the anecdote suggests, it had the skill to 'trick' people and machines and was able to use that skill even outside the dungeons... it would explain all the Hound Master's beyond human abilities......

 

 It would also make sense why the Hound Master insisted on using dog-type cards, assuming that it was so that she could sacrifice them in case of an emergency.

 

If that is the case, we can never open this door.

 

 In the book, the little goats get tricked and devoured by the wolf......

 

"Hey! Why won't you open it, Kitagawa?! Could it be that you're mad at me?! I, I'll apologize! It was just as you said! I shouldn't have become an adventurer! I can get down on my knees in front of the whole class! Please forgive me! I don't want to die yet!"

 

 ......As I thought, the one behind this door was the man himself.

 

 Because I can hardly believe that this was an act.

 

 This was Shishido himself, who had not yet realized that he had died ......

 

"Kitagawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Don't be a fool! You murderer! Aaaaaaah!"

 

 So, this voice of resentment was true, and it was also true that I had abandoned Shishido.

 

 The voice faded away, and eventually, silence returned with the final sound of a decimated voice.

 

"Senpai, it is not Senpai's fault that Shishido-san died, and the culprit is responsible for all the blame--"

 

"--I know!"

 

 Oribe tried to comfort me, but I interrupted her with a loud voice.

 

 

"I know... I'm sorry, but please don't say anything now..."

 

".....Sorry."

 

 ......It was the worst feeling, including the fact that I took it out on a younger girl.

 

 Rationally, I know this was the right thing to do. This was obviously a trap and it should not be opened.

 

 As for Shishido's death, I advised him not to dive for the time being, and there was no way I could have helped him unless I had dived with him. I was able to save Shinomiya-san because she was not attacked by the Hound Master herself, but by her underling who got out of control, in other words, it was just luck.

 

 Now, Shishido is already dead, so there was no way I could have saved him by opening the door, and I by no means abandoned him.

 

 In other words, it wasn't my fault. I can't be responsible for the life of a casual classmate who I didn't even get along with very well.

 

 Yes, I knew that logically in my head.

 

 But my emotions were different.

 

 I couldn't get Shishido's reproachful voice out of my ears. No matter what the excuse, I deserted him. Not his life, but ...... his heart, his soul.

 

 Truly, what malicious trap this was? Even if I choose the proper answer, it will kill my heart. It was so evil and so horrible that it made the Pied Piper of Hamelin look adorable.

 

 At that moment, the badges of the Adventurer's Club emitted a sound,

 

"Hey! Can you hear me?! ”

 

 The voice belonged to Akira. Teacher quickly responded,

 

"Nee-san! We're fine over here! Where are you?"

 

"You're okay! I've just arrived at the bottom floor with reinforcements. What the hell happened?"

 

"Unknown, the Hound Master, has summoned an Irregular Encounter."

 

"Summoned an Irregular Encounter, you said? That's absurd...... No, that's for later. Do you know the identity of the enemy?"

 

"Probably The Wolf and the Seven Young Goats"

 

"Okay, then you're in the building now, aren't you? All right, listen up. Do not open the door at all until I get there. The signal will be given by using this magic item. Any voice through the door will be regarded as lies!"

 

"Understood."

 

 Teacher nodded and ended the communication... at the same time,

 A third banging on the door began.

 

 So they have come,...... and the air that had loosened at the news of the reinforcements tensed up.

 

 The Wolf was probably in a hurry to settle the score before the arrival of Akira-san and the others.

 

 But, having come this far, we will not be fooled now.

 

 In the fairy tale, the little goats opened the door on the wolf's third visit. In other words, if we survive this third visit, there is a good chance that we will be able to say goodbye to this vicious trap.

 

 Now, who's next? I was waiting with a sense of challenge, when I heard----

 

"Oi! Utamaro! Open this! I'll die if you don't!"

 

 ————It was the voice of Renge, who was supposed to be next to me.

 

"What...?"

 

 I looked at Renge who was standing next to me.

 

"I see, the Wolf thought it would be tough to set the same trap, so it wanted to stir up distrust. Hey, you know it, right?"

 

"Yeah, I know."

 

 There was no way I would fall for such a blatant trap.

 

 ...However, it was also true that a slight doubt arose in my heart.

 

 Even though I knew in my head that it was a fake,...... there was something about this voice that attracted me.

 

"Hey, listen to me! This is not a trap to get you to open the door! It's a trap to keep you in there!"

 

"Don't listen to it. The most effective way to deal with this kind of crap is to cover your ears."

 

Three times, Utamaro! I don't know how many times you've made a mistake already, but the third time is probably your last chance. Open the door!”

 

Remember the fairy tale of the wolf and the seven little goats! What happened to the little goat who opened the door?”

 

 Two identical voices addressed me alternately.

 

 I should believe the Renge next to me...... The Link line was also connected to this one. Looking back at the flow so far, this is a trap designed to get us to open the door.

 

"Didn't you hear me, huh?!"

 

 But ...... why? Why is this voice ...... so dear to me?

 

Trust me————Utamaro!”

 

 Thump. My heart jumped.

 

 I was convinced, not by logic, but by intuition. The real Renge was behind the door.

 

"!? You idiot, stop it, Maro!" "Senpai! Stop!?" "Don't be fooled, Senpai!"

 

 I jumped to the door, dodging everyone's attempts to stop me.

 And ----

 



***

 


Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon! (Psst, go and check out the FREE trial on the first tier!)

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

Support Me